Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Potions

Harry walked into the Potions classroom to find Professor Severus Snape staring at him.

"Potter, now, let me ask you this." Snape's voice was fierce. "How late were you today?"

"Sorry, sir," Harry said quietly. "I forgot my books and had to go back."

"You forgot your books," Snape said in a mimicking voice. "Now, I asked you-how many minutes late were you?"

"I don't know!" Harry cried. "I don't have a watch!"

"Ten points from Gryffindor for a smart mouth," Snape said bitterly, his icy cold eyes boring into Harry's.

"Sorry, sir."

"Are you not smart enough, Potter, to know a spell to show the time?"

"Sir, I'm only a third year."

"A third year," Snape said slowly. "And, if you are as 'talented' as people think you are, shouldn't you know how to do a time-showing spell?"

Harry sat silently.

"I asked you a question, Mr. Potter!" Snape said, his voice gradually raising.

"No, sir," Harry responded, his voice quivering slightly.

"Potter, I expect a lot from you," Snape said in an almost purring voice. "A lot, Mr. Potter.  And do you know what you do to me?" He stepped forward, putting his hands on Harry's desk while leaning into Harry's face. "You bother me.   You disappoint me.  Irritate me, Potter!"

"Sorry, sir," Harry mumbled quietly.

"Okay," Snape said loudly to the class. "As I told you before Mr. Potter so casually entered lately, we are making a Truth Potion!  And do you know what this means?"

Hermione Granger's hand shot straight in the air.

Snape ignored it.

Draco Malfoy raised his hand slowly.

Snape looked straight at Harry as he said, "As much as I know I can rely on Mr. Malfoy for accurate, concise answers-" Draco looked smug, Hermione looked like she was going to cry "-I would like to ask Mr. Potter.  But, ten points to Slytherin for an excellent volunteer.  Mr. Potter-"

Before he could ask, Annalise Magenta, a Ravenclaw and one of Hermione's friends, said, "Sir?  H-h-hermione's hand was up first, I saw!"

Snape finally looked away from Harry. "Miss Magenta!"

"Y-yes?"

"Ten points from Ravenclaw.  You see," he said smugly, "as a teacher, I have the right to give out points as I desire." He looked back at Harry. "What do we have to take into consideration when making this potion?"

"T-that we don't spill it," Harry muttered.

Snape sighed. "As much as I would like to critique your response, you are.... sadly correct.  If," he said, "this potion touches someone's skin, or if consumed," he strolled around the room, "they will be telling the truth and nothing but the truth for a day.  This is a very special potion, you see.  It is very complicated, and I have high expectations for this class." He glanced at Harry. "Though, sadly, some students will not meet them."

Harry felt anger flare up inside him.

The students begun making potions when Snape said, "Why don't we have a volunteer to try some of Miss Granger's potion?"

"You think my potion's good?" Hermione asked, beaming.

"Quiet," Snape scoffed. "Miss Granger's potion looks the most... interesting.  Who would like to take some?"

Harry went to scratch his head.

"Potter!" Snape called. "Time for you to take the potion!"

Confused, Harry muttered, "Wha'?"

Snape poured the potion into a goblet, and it shimmered, an unappetizing murky green color.  He handed the goblet to Harry.

"What?" Harry asked, still in disbelief.

"DRINK IT!" Snape roared, and everyone in the class pulled back, scared, surprised, and even slightly confused.

Harry grabbed the goblet nervously. "Sir, I didn't raise-"

"DRINK IT!" Snape screamed.

Harry raised the goblet... and took a sip.