Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Adventures with the Potion
Harry had his hands over his mouth as he ran through the entrance hall, trying not to say anything.

He couldn't help it, though, when he blurted out to a 6th year Slytherin, "Your hair looks like a dead small mammal."

Later that evening, after numerous insults (though, some compliments... especially to Cho Chang), Snape found Harry sulking in his dormitory.

Harry looked up in surprise. "You're not allowed in here!"

"Quiet, Potter!  I'm allowed in if I want to come in, for I am a teacher and you are a mere, lowly student." He spat the word "student", glaring at Harry.

"But you're not a Gryffindor teacher!"

"QUIET, you...."

Suddenly, Minerva McGonagall walked in. "Severus?" she asked, confused.

"Yes." Snape nodded sharply at her.

"Why are you up here?"

"To tell Harry about all of the students he's insulted!" Snape said.

"Insulted?" McGonagall looked at Harry, cocking her head slightly.

"Professor McGonagall," Harry said sweetly, "I took a truth potion which allows me to only uncontrollably blurt out the truth.  Professor Snape made me take it!  Also, I have to say your hair looks very nice that way."

"Thank you!" McGonagall said, flattered, which was strange for her. "Severus, you made him take a potion.  Why should he be in trouble?"


*** Later that Evening***

Though blurting out the truth was sometimes good, it really hurt Ron when Harry said, "Your hair is the color of a carrot."

Ron walked away, even though he knew Harry had taken a truth potion.

"Ron!"

Snape found Harry, his lips curling into a smug smile. "Potter... even insulting his own friends.  How... entertaining."

"Sorry, sir."

"No, you're not.  Five points from Gryffindor for telling a big... fat... lie!"

"Sir, I can't say anything but the truth!"

"Another lie."

"Sir, I took a truth potion, for goodness' sake!"

Snape sighed. "I suppose you did, but for yelling at a teacher... ten points from Gryffindor."

"SIR!  I can't choose whether or not I yell at a teacher.  This potion is controlling every single thing I say!  I try to talk about Quidditch and I end up saying that Oliver Wood had a pimple on his forehead!  It's awful, sir!"

Snape actually laughed, though coldly. "I bet Mr. Wood does not know you took a potion."

"He's mad, Snape.  And your robe is sideways... doesn't look very professional for a teacher."

"POTTER!"

"I can't control what I'm saying!"

"I KNOW YOU CAN'T, but.... just go!" Snape waved his hand away. "Go somewhere!"

Harry went into the Gryffindor common room, then into the bathroom.  He locked himself in a toilet stall and just stood there.

Suddenly, he heard giggling.

"I see boys' shoes underneath the one door," came one girl voice.

"Oh my gosh!  Me too!" came another girl's voice.

"He's in the wrong restroom!" the first girl giggled.

"Hey!  Are you in there?" The second girl actually had the nerve to knock on the stall door.

"He's not saying anything," the first girl said. "C'mon, Carrie.  Let's bust this door."

"Yeah," Carrie said.  Harry heard her yell, "REDUCTO!"  The door smashed down, leaving Harry standing there, face to face with Carrie, a very pretty Gryffindor girl.  Her hair was auburn, long, and shimmering, her eyes jade green and clever.  She was petite and curvy.

"Harry... Potter?" Carrie asked.

"You're so pretty," Harry blurted out.  He clapped his hands over his mouth.

Carrie giggled, and the second girl came into Harry's view.  She was also pretty. Her hair was short, layered, and blond, her eyes warm brown.  She was tall.

"You're so pretty." Harry told the second girl.

"You jerk!" Carrie yelled.

"What did I do?" Harry asked.

"You gave her a compliment!" Carrie cried.

"I can't help it!  I took a truth potion which makes me blurt the truth and nothing but!" Harry explained.

"So you don't actually like me." Carrie's eyes filled with tears, and she and the second girl ran out of the restroom.

"Wait!" Harry ran after them, going out the door.  Yeah, he'd been in the girls' restroom.

He left Gryffindor Tower to find Snape.

"Hello, Potter.  And... what, may I ask, are you doing here?"

"Sir, I'm only roaming the empty parts of the castle as not to insult anyone else."

"It's past curfew.  Get to your House, Potter."

Harry was nervous... the Gryffindor common room was sure to be packed with people.

Snape glared at him. "Unless you'd rather... sleep in a classroom or in the hallway."

Harry perked up at this idea. "Yes, I would!"

Snape looked surprised. "Fine.  But I can't trust you, Potter, even if you do tell the truth.  I have some potions to brew for tomorrow's lessons.  I'll be in my classroom all night.  You can join me."

"Wha'?"

"You heard me right, Potter.  You can sleep on the floor of the Potions classroom."

Harry sighed.