Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews... do keep them coming...
:D
Chapter 6 - Trust and Truth

Severus was just settling into the chair adjacent to Dumbledore’s desk when the old wizard stepped through the floo.  Somewhere in the back of his mind he noticed that the Headmaster’s Pensieve had been moved from the desk to somewhere out of sight, though he was too shaken to consider the detail with any intent.   

He watched the old man who headed instantly for the chair behind his desk, made himself comfortable in the seat, clasped his hands together in his lap, leaned back and gazed, contemplating, directly into Severus’ eyes. 

“Something is troubling you, Severus… it is unlike you to miss such an important detail.” 

There was no question posed so Severus remained silent. 

“Tell me what happened to Harry… and how it was that you became involved.  I have to admit to being at a loss as to how you have managed to come anywhere near Harry these holidays when I have painstakingly kept you away from all Order duties given Lord Voldemort’s return and your subsequent vulnerability to him.” 

After an initial flinch at the verbalising of the tyrant’s name, Severus snorted with indignation, “I am not vulnerable-” 

“You know very well what I mean, Severus!” 

The dark man promptly snapped his mouth shut; his eyes glittering strangely.  Of course he knew what Dumbledore meant… it was the Headmaster’s way of trying to make Snape’s very heavy burden as manageable as possible; the closest thing Severus had to someone caring about him!  And for that he would not appear ungrateful! 

He nodded his head once in confirmation and quickly organised his thoughts to relate the story of Potter’s misfortune to the old wizard; a hand coming up unbidden during his reflection to gently tug at his lower lip with long pale fingers. 

“Late this afternoon Potter sent his patronus to me with a message of needing my help urgently.  In the message he stated he was bleeding and couldn’t stop the flow… his desperation was wholly palpable through the message… I’ve never felt such a thing before…” 

Dumbledore nodded, implying he knew exactly what Severus had meant; as if he’d experienced the phenomenon before himself. 

“The boy included his whereabouts and asked for me to hurry,” the dark man concluded. 

The Headmaster was silent for a further few moments; contemplating Severus’ tale so far. 

“You did not intercept the message on another’s behalf?” he asked curiously. 

“No, the message was intended for me,” Severus answered with a small shake of his head; still equally astonished as the old wizard at the revelation. 

“How curious,” Albus said quietly, the old man’s eyes sparkling in vague delight.  “No offence, Severus, but it is a commonly held belief that Harry does not hold you in high regard.” 

“Indeed… no offence taken,” Severus assured, slightly amused himself by that very correct ideal: for he’d worked hard to elicit that opinion from the teen, after all. 

“Then that does beg the question of why he chose you, doesn’t it?”   

Severus nodded in agreement, though he offered no explanation… for he still had none himself. 

“I take it you went straight to him?” 

Relaxing back in the chintz armchair, Severus responded, “I first enlisted the help of Arabella Figg to find the location; but after that, yes, I went straight to him.” 

“He was not at home?” Albus questioned, a small frown creasing his forehead. 

“No, he was not… I found him unconscious in an alley, as a matter of fact... quite a way from Privet Drive.” 

Albus’ frown deepened.  “It is time to inform me of exactly what happened to him, Severus; you really have me quite curious.” 

Severus shifted a little in his seat, not quite sure how he should begin his recount of his discovery of the Dursleys’ abuse of Mr Potter.  He clasped his hands together, steepling his thumbs; tapping them together in a slow rhythm. 

“After I was able to rouse him, Mr Potter informed me he had been involved in an argument and had been burned on both his hands by a hot roasting pan and cut with a knife.”  Severus paused slightly to measure Dumbledore’s reaction; the man was listening intently, but otherwise showing no outrage… yet. 

“I discovered after further inquiry that the damage was, in fact, inflicted by Potter’s Uncle!” 

“Vernon?” confirmed Dumbledore questioningly, now unnaturally still and thin lipped. 

Severus nodded, “And his Aunt stood by and allowed it to occur!”  He waited with anticipation for the Headmaster’s explosive reaction to the discovery… but Severus was kept waiting, much to his vexation. 

“Is this an isolated incident… or is this years of abuse just now coming to light?  What did Harry tell you?” 

“Is once not more than enough!?” Severus snapped, instantly sitting forward rigidly in his seat, outraged now himself at the lack of response from the Headmaster… supposedly the boy’s primary protector.  But the sharp glare he received quelled further argument.  He sighed, briefly closing his eyes in frustration. 

“Potter claimed it had been an accident,” he begrudgingly stated, knowing that disclosure of the teenager’s assertion would dilute the stark callousness of the incident. 

Severus saw the obvious signs of relief in the old man’s features and posture at the testimony and it infuriated him; enough for him to risk the powerful wizard’s wrath and continue to argue his point.  “I have spoken to Mrs Dursley… it is obvious the family do not care one whit for the boy!” 

Naturally, the Headmaster grasped the wrong point; he narrowed his eyes in irritation at his Potions Master, “You have visited the family… when?” 

‘Bugger, Fucking, Shit!’ the dark man thought instantly, avoiding the powerful wizard’s irritated gaze.  How was he going to get himself out of this?!  He threw himself abruptly to his feet and began to pace furiously; the following rant spilling out in a similarly frantic manner. 

“You don’t just accidently get stabbed in the arm by someone: and even if there is some merit to Potter’s story of how he says he was burned I found the suggestion highly unlikely!” he insisted hotly.  “Plus the boy may not have been supplied enough food whilst he is in the Aunt and Uncle’s care… he is of slight build for his age, you cannot deny that… and I know for a fact he has eaten very little if not nothing at all today.  And the way Petunia spoke of him… and glared at him… it is more than obvious what little regard he is offered in the place he is supposed to call home-” 

“Now, Sever-” 

“No!  I have seen it before; for I myself have been on the receiving end of the woman’s disgust in the past… I assure you I am not mistaken!” Severus admitted to the old wizard: something he would never divulge to any living being other than Albus Dumbledore.    

And he flinches every time he is addressed as ‘boy’, for Merlin’s sake,” he added as though that detail spoke volumes.  “It is abuse, Albus… and they should pay for it!” he finally stated unequivocally, determined to get his point across. 

Dumbledore was staring at him with a mixture of confusion and concern, but a moment later his expression changed to quiet understanding. 

“Ah… now I see.   That’s what this is about, isn’t it?” the Headmaster responded, nodding his head lightly; his eyes shining with a sad comprehension.   

Severus sighed to himself at the old man’s implied new understanding; knowing full well the theory dancing inside the old man’s mind. Swishing his voluminous ebony robes aside Severus swiftly spun to face his employer with another exasperated sigh.  “This is not about me!” he insisted ardently. 

“Isn’t it…?  This has not what has been bothering you enough to have you so distracted that you would almost dose a child with a potentially lethal combination of potions.  I know you possess the knowledge of what would happen if Harry had ingested those three brews, Severus.  And I know very few things have the capacity to upset you to the point of being preoccupied enough to let the detail slip by unheeded… and this… this is one of them,” he insisted, tapping a finger pointedly on the desk top. 

Severus remained silent after the lecture… he knew Albus was right, as usual, he had allowed himself to become very distracted by the discovery of the abuse on the teenager which had dragged so many hurtful memories from the pit of his own mind.  And Severus was not surprised that he’d failed to recognize the threat when he’d dosed Potter; he’d not even considered the potential reaction of the combination of ingredients mixing in the boy’s stomach- 

‘Hold on a moment…’ he thought abruptly, blinking at the revelation forming in his head. 

The Headmaster was almost smug at Severus’ lack of response.  He finally stood from his spot behind his desk and made his way around to the dark man standing rigid in front of it. 

“You had a hard time in your childhood, Severus, it stands to reason you might imagine some correlation and be affected by it.” 

But suddenly Severus had stiffened, his brow furrowing in a deep line; barely even taking in the Headmaster’s words.  He’d just realised that he had in fact not almost poisoned Potter! 

“Oh, that bloody haughty, harassing harridan!” Severus abruptly spluttered, outwardly agitated and irritated. 

“Professor Snape!” admonished the Headmaster, “Mind your language!  Now… what has warranted the need for such a foul address… or more to the point, who?” 

“Bloody Pomfrey… that’s who!” Severus snapped, pointing an accusing finger down to the floor in the vague direction of the Hospital wing. 

Poppy…?  Whatever for?” asked Albus, clearly confused at the man’s outburst toward the, in his opinion, quite genial Matron. 

“Whatever for…?” Severus repeated incredulously, “For insinuating I would be daft enough to poison one of my students with a toxic mix of potions, that’s whatever for!” 

“Severus, Poppy was correct; the mixing of all three of those remedies would have resulted in serious complications!  I was also concerned that you had almost dosed the boy,” Albus insisted, bewildered. 

Severus became increasingly frustrated; balling his hands into fists at the lack of faith shown by the man he had long needed it from the most. 

“No, a potential lethal combination could not possibly have occurred,” Severus snapped heatedly, “I administered the Blood-Replenisher via aspiration… I did not almost mix the potions!” he bit out irately. 

Severus was fuming and practically red-faced in his indignation; how dare the old hag suggest he could fail so spectacularly… him of all people! 

The dark man made to move toward the Headmaster’s floo; intent on giving the meddling, old shrew a piece of his mind! But he did not get more than two paces before the Headmaster’s booming voice stopped him dead in his tracks,

“SEVERUS!” He sucked in a breath as the old, wise wizard’s powerful magic swirled around the room; intimidating in its intensity.  Severus slowly turned to face the sagacious man; self-righteous resentment continuing to pulse through his veins, but suitably cowed enough by his influential superior not to push his luck. 

However, instead of tearing strips off his Potions Master for his abysmal, aggressive attitude as Severus expected, the old man just stared at him for several moments before he responded. 

“Severus… Severus, Severus.  How easily we all can make mistakes and lay accusations at one another’s feet,” began the Headmaster, shaking his head forlornly.  “We were very wrong to allege that you would fail to consider all implications before you acted… in anything you do.  You have long since proved your worth amongst the best of us.  Please, Severus, accept an apology… on behalf of Poppy and myself; we are incredibly sorry!” 

Confronted by the face of Dumbledore’s sincere remorse and regret, Severus swallowed and nodded his acceptance; his fingers curled upwards, fiddling compulsively with the ends of his dark sleeves… feeling perhaps just a tad guilty and hypocritical; as for a moment there even he had believed he’d almost made the grievous error. 

The Headmaster was continuing to speak, “Poppy only wishes the best for everyone, Severus… please do not misinterpret her abrupt vehemence for personal enmity; I assure you it is not her intention.  She has merely found it difficult to remain silent in the face of your seemingly harsh manner with some of the students… she’s very protective, you can see.”   

Severus scowled lightly; he knew Dumbledore was referring to complaints Poppy had made of his treatment of Potter and his Gryffindor housemates, and the bitterness surrounding his heart that justified his behaviour instantly roared to life.  

‘The arrogant little toe rags deserve to be taken down a peg or two!  If the meddlesome Matron could just see what I see…’ he thought indignantly; but he knew that would never happen.  In fact he was well aware that Poppy Pomfrey did not like him at all and his opinion would promptly fall upon deaf ears if he ever were to express it to her. 

“Madam Pomfrey has made it clear over the years just who among the Hogwarts residents deserves her care,” Severus said frankly, “I would not ask for more than that she carries out her duty to the best of her ability where the students are concerned… Slytherin students included… but I am perfectly aware that the consideration extends no further,” he added stiffly. 

Dumbledore paused for a moment when a worried frown blossomed upon the old, wise features of his face.  “You know it concerns me that the pair of you cannot seem to have faith in one another.  I fear that at some point in the future you might need her expertise yourself, and you will fail to seek out her ministrations because of this lack of confidence.  Please believe me, Severus, when I tell you that Poppy would always demonstrate the utmost care toward her patients… and without a doubt will devote the full passion for her duty to you too, if you should need her.” 

“That remains to be seen,” Severus griped back immediately. 

“I know it to be so, my boy… please bare it in mind.” 

Severus remained silent, nodding once only to assure the Headmaster that he had heard the advice… though he still did not necessarily agree.  The silence reigned for several more moments as both men put the current topic behind them. 

“Now, back to Harry,” the old wizard said with a clap of his hands; clasping them together.  Severus turned away from the man and resumed his pacing.  “You say you visited the Dursley family after the incident this evening?” 

Severus cringed internally, “Yes,” he answered succinctly, ending his marching by the window. Albus’ face took on a hard look.  “What happened?  What… payment did you feel the need to dish out?” 

“Noth-” 

“Severus!” 

The dark man turned toward the Headmaster at the biting demand.  “Potter’s uncle had already left on a business trip; he was not there… I had a few words with Mrs Dursley before I brought Potter back here... the boy appeared to be deteriorating quite rapidly.” 

After a few moments thought the Headmaster asked, “What in Merlin’s name possessed you to take the boy to confront his Uncle in the shape he was in the first place?” 

Severus took in a deep breath, “Potter insisted he come along… he convinced me he would tolerate the conference… and at the time I had yet to confirm my suspicions myself anyway,” the dark man explained, hesitant to admit his failure to see through Potter’s assurances, or in fact his failure to consider the boy at all in his initial fury at the first inkling of abuse.   

“Though he was behaving in an odd manner-” the dark man started, stopping abruptly and instead finishing the deliberation in his own mind.  ‘… Potter seemed to be intent on protecting the miserable excuses he has for a family…’ Moments later the dark man could have kicked himself for his last half-uttered remark. 

“‘Behaving in an odd manner…’?  What do you mean?” queried the Headmaster suspiciously. 

Severus almost growled out loud in frustration, “It appeared the boy was under the impression I would hurt his relatives… of course I would not have done so right in front of the child.” 

After considering his Potions Master’s response, Albus replied, “So, you are telling me that Harry tried to protect them… from you.  If that is the case then his opinion of the alleged abuse must differ from yours, Severus.” 

A defiant expression blossomed on the Slytherin Head of House’s face, “I know what I saw; the boy is just confused… or scared.  I’ve been there; I know what it is like to feel powerless against your abusers… and if Potter is not yet able to stop them or mete out his tormentors punishment then those who have experience in dealing with such situations must intervene.  I have never professed to like the boy, but the abuse of this child cannot be allowed to continue… I will not sit back and let it happen to someone else!” the dark man said pointedly. 

The Headmaster had a pensive look upon his face, “Tormentors?  Abusers?  Frankly Severus, I am beginning to think you are seeing something that just may not be there at all…” 

Severus frowned and went to argue, but the Headmaster interrupted him with a placating hand before he had the chance, “… however, for arguments sake, let’s say you are right… then it is up to me, not you, to investigate Harry’s complaints and mete out his family’s penalty, if indeed any is warranted.  It is certainly not appropriate for you, my boy, given your own childhood history of abuse, to be seeking justice on Harry’s behalf.” 

By now, Severus was fuming internally at the Headmaster’s insinuation that he could not be trusted to remain objective; he clenched his jaw and lifted his chin with a building sense of resentment. 

“Besides, Severus, there are other factors you must consider.  For one, I do not wish for you to fall into old habits of punishing Muggles… it certainly would not afford you any honour to open old wounds that set you on the wrong path in your early years.   But that aside, I do not think it a good idea for you to become in any way involved with Lily’s sister…” 

Dumbledore gave the dark man a pointed look over the top of his half moon spectacles and Severus stiffened even further. 

“… but also, you need to consider the complications this could cause in your dealings with Lord Voldemort; especially if any of your part in this matter becomes evident.”  

Severus flinched slightly again at the Headmaster’s vocalising of the Dark Lord’s name, but was otherwise continuing to listen with a rigid, yet aloof countenance. 

The Headmaster continued sternly, “In light of these issues I have decided to outright forbid that you visit the Dursley home again for the purpose of retribution… and I will not tolerate any argument on the matter, Severus!  I will take your evidence into consideration when I investigate the incident… and I will have a talk with Harry; that alone will have to satisfy you, I am afraid.  Do I have your agreement?” 

Internally sneering at the request for agreement on a matter he clearly had absolutely no choice in, Severus nodded compliantly, “Of course.” he answered curtly with a sniff, making it more than clear that he was both insulted and disgruntled at the decision. 

“Good.”  Dumbledore eyed him for several moments longer before eventually asking, “Was there anything else you feel I should know?” 

Severus returned the firm gaze momentarily, but soon averted his dark eyes.  The powerful old wizard still had the power to intimidate him more than he would like much to his consternation.  “In fact, yes; I was actually on my way to speak with you when Potter’s message intercepted me.” 

“Oh?” Dumbledore said, the austere expression softening into one of gentle interest instantly, “So, what was it that had brought you to see me?  Not a problem, I hope.” 

All the worries that had been pushed to the back of Severus’ mind concerning Bellatrix and Narcissa’s impromptu visit that afternoon rushed back to him with acute intensity. 

“I am afraid-” 

At that moment the Headmaster’s fireplace roared higher, interrupting, and both men turned their attentions toward the Matron’s head that was now floating amongst the green flames. 

“Albus?” she inquired; her disembodied head searching the room. 

“Yes, Poppy… I’m here,” he returned, moving in front of the floo so the Mediwitch may have a better view of him. 

“Harry has regained consciousness; I have dealt with all his injuries, treated the infection and blood loss and made him comfortable; he is dozing at the moment… he’ll be fine… he will recover fully with a little time and rest.”  

The Headmaster sighed with relief, “Thank you, Poppy… your expertise is invaluable to me.  I hope you know how much I appreciate you giving up your holiday time to assist.  I shall be down momentarily to speak with Harry.” 

“Yes, of course, Albus, you’re most welcome,” Madam Pomfrey said, a gentle smile on her lips before her head disappeared from the fireplace and the flames died down to the original lesser blaze. 

Dumbledore turned to face the Slytherin Head of House, “I’m sorry, Severus, but our conversation will have to wait… I should see to Harry first so he might be able to rest without interruption.  Give me about forty minutes?” 

Although irritated that he was again being interrupted from delivering his extremely important information to Dumbledore, Severus nodded acceptingly, “Of course, I shall be down in my quarters… there is something I need to do.  I shall meet you in the infirmary in forty minutes?” 

“Thank you, Severus,” Dumbledore responded, nodding, before invoking the floo to life once more with a handful of floo powder, stepping in and disappearing. 

Severus followed him into the floo moments later, but instead of arriving at the hospital wing, he stepped out of the fireplace in his own office located in the dark dungeons.  From here he made his way to his private store cupboard and filled his robe pocket with a few single doses of a variety of useful potions such as Pain-Reliever, Blood-Replenisher and Fever-Reducer.   

After securing the cupboard once more Severus walked through the damp, dim hallways until he reached the entrance to his private quarters.  He unlocked the door with his wand and stepped through; heading immediately for his laden bookshelf and after a brief examination of the titles, selected a tome from the top row. 

Pausing briefly by the mantle he lit a small fire in his hearth with his wand then carried the book to the single leather armchair, made himself comfortable in it and flipped open the cover of “The Holistic Healer: A guide of Healing Spells for the Betterment of Patient Care, and searched the index for the page number of a chapter explaining the spells to counter infection.” 

Chapter End Notes:
Please share your thoughts... :D