Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I think I said we were back to Harry this chap, but I was wrong... I forgot. Sorry for misleading... I didn't do it purposely; that's next chap.
So, as the chapter suggests, this is what happened while the boy was still asleep recovering...
:D
Chapter 7 - While Potter Lay Sleeping

Satisfied with the new array of spells he had learnt from the medical text, Severus checked his timepiece hidden in a deep pocket within his robes. 

Of course, he could not perfect the magic without at least some form of practical application, and as he personally had no infected wounds to practice upon, that presented a problem.   

‘Perhaps Poppy would be willing to instruct me… Merlin knows she finds me somewhat lacking presently,’ he thought with a smidge of bitterness.  'But will she allow me anywhere near her patients after this evening’s near fiasco… or her perception of said fiasco, at any rate?’ 

“Well… patient singular, to be more specific,” he breathed aloud.  It was still the summer holidays, after all, and by rights Poppy Pomfrey should not be on duty at all.  In fact, Severus wondered how long Madam Pomfrey would remain at Hogwarts. 

‘Until the boy is showing signs of significant recovery, at least,’ he supposed.  The woman was not known to shirk her responsibility, and he would not hold her industriousness in contempt, but Severus pondered whether he could take advantage of this circumstance to his benefit. 

The man pushed himself to his feet, placing the thick journal upon the side table to the left of his armchair, and glanced again at the timepiece he had not yet returned to his pocket.  It showed that a little less than half an hour had passed since he had left Dumbledore’s office, but he would make good use of the extra ten minutes. 

Severus stepped lightly from the floo in the Matron’s office a minute later and sought out the older woman.  She was sitting at her desk, appearing not particularly surprised to see him. 

“He isn’t finished speaking with the lad, Professor; you are a little early.” 

“Yes, I know, I wanted a quick word with you first.” 

The witch sat up higher in her seat, a defiant expression forming on her features.  “The Headmaster has already come to your defence, so if you have come here to lambaste me about accusing you-” 

“No,” he said, quickly cutting into the woman’s tirade, “though I was insulted, you were not entirely incorrect in your assumption,” he added, with strategy in mind.  “I acted with little more than automatic reactions; my mind was elsewhere at the time… but rest assured, Madam Pomfrey, that I would have registered the danger if the risk was valid, despite my preoccupation.  I know Potions!” 

She studied him a short while before replying, “Yes, well, I suppose that you do.  I’m sorry,” she offered, with more than a hint of tight reluctance. 

He nodded his acceptance of her apology… he suspected that was as ‘gracious’ as he was likely to get. 

That done, he went in for the kill.  “I have a favour to ask.” 

Pomfrey’s curiosity piqued, she tilted her head a little, ‘Oh?” 

“I will, of course, be willing to repay your efforts,” he assured; his tone more than civil but not overly friendly.  The woman was far from unintelligent… she would oust any hint of insincerity in moments. 

“And what would you have me do, Severus?” she asked, a hint of suspicion laced in her tone. 

“Teach me.” 

Whatever the medi-witch had been expecting, it certainly wasn’t that.  Her expression told too openly of her surprise. 

“Teach you?  Teach you what precisely?  You aren’t thinking of becoming a Healer after all these years, are you?” 

Poppy had often suggested in his youth that he would be suited to a vocation in Healing… he had, after all, excelled in all the subjects required to make a notable career in the field.  But he’d had another ‘calling’ at the time, he remembered sorrowfully. 

“No,” he denied with a shake of his head; he truly had way too much on his plate right now to even consider the notion, thank you very much!  “Earlier this evening I was dismayed to discover a gaping hole in my healing repertoire,” he admitted a little self-consciously.  “Suffice it to say that did not sit well with me.” 

“Ah,” the Matron acknowledged, “let me guess - the ‘eradication of infection’ had you at a loss?” 

He nodded, embarrassed that the omission in his skills had been so obvious to the medi-witch, yet had never occurred to himself until now. 

“Don’t feel embarrassed, Professor Snape… you would not be the first novice to quickly realise there is a purpose to the four year apprenticeship required to become a qualified Healer.” 

Severus felt slightly discomfited by her barbed comment; but she was right, of course, most adult wizards saw themselves as rarely requiring the attentions of Healers; feeling a comfortable satisfaction in their own abilities to self-heal and self-medicate.  Potions Masters being perhaps the most smug regarding their knowledge and assumptions… and now he himself had all but suggested he only had one gaping omission to his knowledge.  More fool him for opening his mouth! 

“Touché,” he acquiesced, humouring the woman graciously.  “So, will you assist me to add another speck to my spell inventory?” 

“You spoke of payment, Severus… what could you tempt me with?” she asked with a smirk, already making to rise from her desk; clearly having already decided to help him irrelevant of what he offered.  “A phial of Liquid Luck?” she jibed sarcastically. 

He chuckled in spite of himself, “No, something more valuable to a hard working witch unexpectedly dragged away from her family in the holidays, I dare say.” 

She stilled in surprise, “Oh?” 

“As soon as you feel he is sufficiently stable I will replace you in the care of Potter so you may return to your relations as early as possible.”  He noticed the witch staring incredulously at him, but what sentiment was behind the look was not clear to him.  He waited for her to respond. 

“You?  You want to look after Harry?” she sputtered in bewilderment. 

Severus fought not to cringe at the odious suggestion.  “I want to learn the magic to combat infection…” he replied, leaving what was not said hanging in the air. 

She gazed at him for several more moments, “He’s just a boy, you know… I cannot understand your animosity toward the lad.” 

If Poppy Pomfrey remembered Severus’ longstanding hostilities with James Potter or his one time tight friendship with Lily Evans, she did not mention them, much to the dark man’s relief; he did not wish a jaunt down the eternally painful memory lane with the Matron in tow. 

“My personal feelings for the child bare no relation to this exchange.  I would never harm the boy, of that you have my word!” he pledged, pouring every ounce of sincerity into his words.   

Whilst it was true that he had in the past aimed to wound the boy with harsh words and insults, he never gave those kinds of hurts much credence.  After all, he’d been taunted in a far worse manner during his own childhood - in particular by the boy’s father and his friends - and it were almost considered normal from the dark man’s point of view.  In any case it was not what he was referring to now; and he knew without a doubt that he would protect the boy from physical harm, even if it meant laying down his own life. 

Madam Pomfrey eyed him a bit longer, seeming to internally wrestle with her conscience.  

“I suppose that would be nice… I hadn’t visited with my sister for quite a while and was a tad disappointed to have been called away.”  Pomfrey gave him a hard look, “You had better not let me down, Severus Snape; I have very high expectations for patient care.” 

“Of course, Madam Pomfrey… I have no intention of disappointing you,” he assured, hardly bothered about the fussy woman’s vague threats but anxious to get on with learning from the skilled witch. 

“Okay… let me see what you know already.” 

The strict Matron spent the next ten minutes demonstrating, supervising and correcting Severus on the number of new spells he’d studied, including the wand work and the theory in which to apply each the most efficiently and effectively.  Severus was, as always, a quick learner and had most incantations perfected by the time the Headmaster strode into the medi-witch’s office. 

“This of course is merely a basic set of spells, Severus.  I prefer a more advanced combination mixed with the use of potions… but these should get you by in a matter of urgency though,” Poppy explained in her clipped tone.  The Headmaster watched on silently, a twinkle settling heartily within each of his blue eyes. 

“Would I have an opportunity to practice upon Potter?” he asked, greeting the Headmaster, who’s appearance had just gained his notice, with a curt nod. 

With a hesitant purse of her lips the medi-witch nodded, “Yes, yes, very well… I believe you are proficient enough to have a go.  And fortunately for you young Harry does still require a further quick shot with “Desino Inflammo” on his upper arm wound.  As you have seen these spells you have learned require the same wand technique, so if you master one, you should be able to work the others without fuss.” 

The Matron turned toward the old wizard watching with fascination and a hint of amusement.  “Albus, is Harry awake?” 

“Alas no, Poppy… he was exhausted and I encouraged him to take the dose of Dreamless Sleep you left at his bedside.  He was ‘off with the fairies’, as they say, within moments.” 

Severus snorted softly, ‘Trust Dumbledore to confuse the Muggle sayings,’ he thought with equal amounts of amusement and scorn. 

“I’d rather not disturb him then, Professor Snape… we’ll treat him when he awakens.” Severus nodded in agreement. 

“Well if you are free then, Severus, we can pick up our conversation where we left off.  In my office?” the Headmaster asked, indicating toward the Matron’s floo. 

“Of course,” Severus replied, bidding the Matron with a nod, “I shall await your summons, Madam Pomfrey?” 

“Yes, yes, Severus… I won’t forget you,” she answered briskly, waving away his concern.  

A few minutes later both men were comfortably ensconced in the usual seating either side of the Headmaster’s large desk.  

“I am heartened to see you and Poppy getting along; perhaps you heeded my assurances earlier?” Dumbledore offered, studying the dark man sitting in front of him. 

Severus raised an eyebrow at the comment, “We have a mutual agreement; do not get too excited.” 

“Oh?” 

“A trade, of sorts.” 

“And are you are refusing to divulge the details?” Albus queried, amusement brightening his features. 

Giving in Severus explained briefly, “I agreed to watch over Potter, so as Poppy might return earlier to her sister, in exchange for tuition.  It bothered me that I was ill equipped to heal the boy further.” 

“Ah… a fair exchange indeed.  I did feel badly for calling Poppy away from her family.” 

“Yes well, it seems I have unburdened both our consciences,” Severus quipped. 

“To which I am quite grateful… thank you, Severus,” Albus said with a wink and a small nod. 

Silence continued for several moments before Severus could stand the suspense no longer.  “What did the boy tell you?” 

Dumbledore sobered almost instantly.  “Harry insisted the incident today was a one off and largely accidental…” 

Severus began to swell with exasperation and resentment and opened his mouth to express his anger, but the old wizard forestalled him once again. 

“Before you fly off the handle, Severus, please allow me finish!” 

Severus snapped his mouth shut, still furious, but quelled enough to be at least a little curious about the Headmaster’s conclusion.    

“It appears that you may be correct.  I sense Harry is not divulging the whole truth regarding his home life and I admit it concerns me somewhat.  Although I have doubts that it is quite as grim as you would have me believe, I feel it necessary to bestow upon the family a personal visit.”   

Dumbledore studied Severus for a second, taking in the man’s staunch and ardent disposition.  

“Rest assured, Severus, you have my promise that I will not leave the child anywhere he will be mistreated… although I must advise you that I cannot discount the blood-protection without at first trying to repair that which may be failing.  It has been, and will continue to be, Harry’s greatest safeguard against Lord Voldemort until the boy comes of age and is ready to face him.  Lily’s gift is far more efficient than any protection I could ever conjure for her son.  And if Petunia Dursley and her family can be persuaded – encouraged-- to care more for their nephew and cousin, then the protection can only be fortified.  I suspect that if the family were aware they were being watched more closely it might help.” 

Severus silently gazed at the old wizard, emotions warring within.  On one hand he agreed with what the Headmaster was saying.  The Dark Lord would do far worse than half starve the boy, or discipline the boy with a heavy hand; and the blood-protection endowed by Lily at the time of her death had undoubtedly been effective against the fiend… but on the other hand Severus recalled all the hurt and anger that had been allowed to fester in his own heart from his abusive childhood experiences.  And he also remembered where all that heartache had led him; it had sent him recklessly careering down the wrong path, it had ruined his life! 

But Potter wasn’t him… wasn’t like him, was he?  Maybe the boy would come through it without the scarring Severus carried around with him.  In any case, it was not his problem, nor his decision to make; that responsibility lay with the much older, supposedly much wiser, Head of the Order.  Severus had satisfied his duty in informing the old man of his concerns, hadn’t he… that was enough, surely? 

“It might,” he agreed softly with an almost imperceptible nod.  He really hadn’t put much thought into what he expected to come of his accusation of child abuse against the Muggles.  All he knew was the abuse must stop, but in what manner that would be executed he cared not.  Had he even considered that the child might need to be re-housed?  Or even who might succeed the Dursley family as his carer if it came to that?  No… and it still did not concern him so long as whoever accepted the job did their best to protect Potter from harm.  So if Dumbledore saw hope in pressuring the boy’s Muggle relations into providing a safer and more nurturing environment Severus would not argue, so long as the concerns were addressed. 

“Very well… now, you had something else to discuss with me?” Dumbledore promted. 

The abrupt changing of topic had Severus’ stomach twist in anxiety.  “Yes.  I had a visitor earlier this afternoon at my home; Narcissa Malfoy, accompanied by her sister Bellatrix, came with concerns for Draco.” 

If it were possible for Dumbledore’s expression to become any more serious it would have. 

“Draco?” he queried, eyeing the Potions Master closely. 

He nodded lightly, “She came to me in the hopes that I may be able to dissuade the Dark Lord from taking his anger at Lucius out on the boy.  Of course I am not so foolish as to try and I told her as much.” 

Dumbledore nodded his support of the dark man’s decision. 

“He, Draco, has been charged with a seemingly impossible task,” Severus continued, a small, unconscious shake of his head betraying the man’s concern for the blonde teen.  

“And the task would be…?” Dumbledore prompted. 

Severus sighed tiredly, but immediately sucked in a deep breath and raised his chin.  “To murder you!” he said flatly, but the Headmaster did not flinch at the pronouncement as Severus thought he might.  The younger man then snorted out a quiet huff of mordant amusement. “The Dark Lord grows tedious with your interference.” 

A hint of comparable amusement passed across the old man’s face.  “I am as irksome as a fly… I expect Voldemort is growing impatient to rid himself of another adversary.  But the lad is of little threat to me, you must realise that.” 

Severus swallowed anxiously, “You may well believe so, but there has been a complication.” 

“Oh?” 

“As I could not grant her what she came for, Narcissa instead begged my assurance that I would assist Draco in any way I could; help him, protect him.  I agreed naturally, but of course Bellatrix, as untrusting of me as ever, insisted instead upon an Unbreakable Vow.  In maintaining that my allegiance did not come under further dispute I could do little to avoid it… and now I am committed or my life forfeit.” 

Although the young Professor continued to appear aloof on the exterior, he was actually swirling with emotion inside.  Fear… worry… shame… regret; every last one warring with one another for priority in his heart and mind, forcing Severus to fight hard to avoid choking on each breath he drew.   

Severus barely wanted to deliberate the consequences for the oath he had forged with the ladies of the dark side earlier that day.  He knew he wouldn’t know what to do about it; knew he had virtually painted himself into a corner.  But he’d passed the dilemma on now; he could do no more than wait for the wiser man to comment… to save him… if he even could. 

Dumbledore gazed thoughtfully at Severus for many moments.  “What are the terms?” he asked seriously, his eyes expressing the gravity of what he understood about all he had been told. 

“To help Draco in his task, to protect Draco… and to complete the task if would seem Draco will fail.” 

There were several moments of silence whilst the older man pondered the dilemma. 

“I see,” the Headmaster finally said somberly.  “Well… this could do with some earnest thought, my boy… I will have to get back to you.  Keep your ears open for any additional information in the mean time, won’t you?” 

Feeling a certain amount of weight lift from his shoulders, but at the same time a suffocating squeeze on his heart, Severus nodded, “Of course.”   

He sat immobile for several moments willing his mind to push the topic to the far reaching corners of itself… but he found the task difficult, jarred by the fact that the Headmaster had failed to come up with an immediate resolution … leaving Severus’ very existence hanging precariously in the balance. 

Severus hadn’t noticed that the old wizard had risen from his seat and had made his way around the desk to stand at Severus’ side until the supportive hand came firmly down on his shoulder with a light squeeze.  He immediately looked up at his longtime mentor, a flitting look of panic escaping his usual tight reign and skipping across his features. 

“Give me time, Severus… a solution will present itself.” 

Severus quickly re-gathered his control and nodded. 

“Now, I have some important business awaiting me, Severus, so unless you have anything further you wish to discuss I must call our meeting to an end.” 

“No,” Severus confirmed, rising himself to his feet gracefully, the reassuring hand dropping from his shoulder leaving the dark man lamenting the disappearance of the comforting warmth, “I’ll leave you to it.”  He nodded curtly to the Headmaster and made for the door. 

“You’ll obviously be staying the night here, Severus?” the old wizard queried before Severus made it to the exit.  He turned to face the wizened old man. 

“Yes, I don’t imagine Poppy will need to stay much later… Potter surely won’t require her incessant coddling for any longer and I can see to his medical care more than adequately at this stage,” he replied, his scorn for the Potter child and the usual over indulgence of the Matron obvious. “

Good… I’ll see you in the Great Hall for breakfast then, shall I?” 

“No.  I shall dine in Poppy’s office… I doubt that she’ll permit me to leave Potter’s side all night… and perhaps for half the morning as well; ensuring I agree to smother the boy with TLC!” he said, his tone derisive and sarcastic. 

Dumbledore eyed Severus in bewilderment, “TLC?” he asked, bemused. 

“Never mind!  Muggle saying,” Severus growled, feeling foolish for almost handing the Headmaster ammunition for the man’s longstanding quest to have Severus grow fond of the aggravating teenage spawn of James Potter. 

“Right,” Dumbledore nodded reflectively, “well, I shall relieve you of the care of Harry in the morning then.  Later in the day when I am sure he is recovered I will take the boy home and visit with his relations.” 

Severus nodded in agreement.  He turned again to leave and with his hand still grasping the doorknob, pulling the door to close, Dumbledore added, “Oh, and Severus… I may just nip out for an hour or so tonight.  In the event of an emergency it will be reasonable to just send your patronus, all right?” 

“Yes, Headmaster,” Severus agreed with a light nod and just as he pulled the door closed he noticed the old man settling his stone Pensieve back upon his desk.

Chapter End Notes:
As always - please share your thoughts and opinions...
:D