Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize for this being a little late everyone!
Chapter 4: Roan House

Four-thirty in the morning came, predictably, far too early. Severus found himself jerked awake by feel of his wards triggering an alarm, mere moments before Albus called through the Floo. With a quiet groan, Severus slid out of bed and stuck his head out the door long enough to bellow at the fireplace that he'd be up shortly. Whether Albus heard him or not, Severus was too irate to care.

Closing his bedroom door sharply, Severus dressed himself rather quickly, having gone to bed prepared to leap up a few hours later. Knowing that he was rather low on sleep over the past three days and was now preparing to be led to some unknown location where he would be spending the remainder of his summer locked up with the Potter brat was enough to give him the onset of a massive headache.

Deciding that a calming draught might not be terribly out of place at this moment, Severus detoured to his personal potions store that remained at the school over the holidays and downed a vial before Flooing himself to the Headmaster's office. Stepping out, Severus took one look at the Headmaster and, calming draught or no, very nearly turned right back around to the Floo for a hasty escape.

The man was obnoxiously chipper for this time of the day and was beaming at Severus as though he'd been struck upside the head with a cheering charm. Resisting the urge to growl at the old man, Severus reluctantly made his way to the chair opposite the man's desk and ground out, "Why are we doing this at four in the morning, Albus?"

The infernal Headmaster just chuckled at him as he  rummaged around in one of his desk drawers, presumably looking for an object to turn into a portkey. Instead what he pulled out was an iron ring with a set of five keys, each elegantly crafted of various metals ranging from bronze to silver. Setting these on the desk, Albus took up his quill and wrote something on a piece of parchment which he tapped with his wand twice, sealing an eyes-only spell before slipping the piece of parchment and the keys into his robe.

"Now then Severus," He began brightly, causing the Potions Master to repress a wince, "We had best get you introduced to the wards at Roan House. Not all of them will fall to your control while you're there, but you should be able to strengthen and lower a few of them as you see fit." As Albus finished speaking, there was a sudden booming knock at the door that successfully startled Severus enough to cause him to turn his head sharply toward the door as though expecting some sort of attack. Instead, it opened to reveal Hagrid, who had to duck in order to step into the office.

"Ye called fer me, sir?" The half-giant queried in a tone that had to be the closest to grouchy as Severus had ever heard it. The Potions Master had to suppress a self-satisfied smirk at the knowledge he was not the only person whom the Headmaster was happy to inconvenience at disgusting hours of the morning.

"Ah, Hagrid. I do apologize for the early call," Albus greeted, sounding anything but sorry and being by far the sunniest individual in the room. "I was hoping you could pick up Harry for me this morning. I've already contacted Arabella and she's promised to keep her Floo open for the two of you - if you're willing, of course?" The Headmaster asked, his tone telling Severus that Albus already knew what answer Hagrid would give - and the half-giant did not disappoint.

"Harry yeh say? O' course Headmaster, o' course! I'd love ter pick him up. What time yeh want him by here for?" He asked, not once seeming to wonder why Harry was to be suddenly pulled from his summer home. This brought a slight frown to Severus' face before he dismissed it as Hagrid's usual obtuseness.

"I was hoping you could pick him up around six and perhaps treat him to breakfast before bringing him in. Eight should be plenty of time I'm sure."

Hagrid beamed so much at this that Severus was unsure who could now contest for the sunniest man in the room - all he knew was he could not for the life of him figure out how anyone could be happy this early in the morning without excessive amounts of pepper up or caffeine. "He'll like tha' fer sure Headmaster. Don' feed 'im much, do they, those Muggles?" He added much to casually for Severus' liking.

"And just what do you mean by that?" He snapped, unable to even try keeping a civil tongue considering his current situation. To Severus' interest, Hagrid displayed an expression of horror that was usually followed by -

"I shouldn't have said that." The half-giant looked distinctly abashed a moment, but after a slight cough from Albus, Hagrid's face went ruddy and he muttered, "Harry don' talk much about it, bu' I overheard 'Mione sayin summat to Ron abou' sendin Harry food o'er the summer, is all. Started sendin' him a bit myself - always seemed real grateful in his letters ter me, figured it'd have to be mighty bad if he's happy for my cookin, yeh see."

Severus unfortunately did see. He was aware from Legilimizing Vernon Dursley that Harry was fed a very minimal amount of food. Had there been more time to assess it all before he'd been informed of how the rest of his summer was to be spent, Severus would have wondered how a growing teenager such as Potter managed to make it through those summers. Now that he was aware Potter had been getting care packages from his friends and Hagrid, Severus turned a cold gaze on the Headmaster. He flatly refused to believe Albus had not been aware of this, but he did not openly criticize him before Hagrid. That, Severus felt, could wait until they were alone.

"Well then," Albus stated with a little less cheer then before, "I imagine he'll quite enjoy his time with you this morning, Hagrid. I'll see you both at eight?" There was a mumbled assent from Hagrid, then the sounds of him shuffling out and closing the door behind him as Severus continued to stare at the Headmaster. Albus returned his gaze calmly, though the brightness of his eyes had dimmed considerably from before.

"You must understand, Severus," Albus stated slowly, "That Harry's home with the Dursley's was very critical to his protection. I knew he wasn't happy, that the family was considerably neglectful of his needs, but I did not ever suspect it to be as bad as you have recently revealed. I made a gamble, Severus. An unhappy child is still a living one, and I've done my best during his time at Hogwarts to make up for the areas in which the Dursley's failed him." The Headmaster paused, noting that Severus' gaze had become flinty and dangerously narrow, which was a considerable warning sign. Sure enough, when the younger man spoke his words were sharp enough to cut and true enough to make Albus wince visibly.

"Lily did not die so that you could gamble with her child's welfare, Albus!" Severus spat, fury rising inside of him faster than he would have believed possible. "An unhappy child is still a living one? Well, a belief like that certainly explains your penchant for turning a blind eye to the suffering of your students! And you have the gall to wonder why so many snakes turn to the shadows for comfort."

Shaking his head, Severus forced himself back under control. When he spoke again, his tone was completely level and cold enough to freeze water. "Neglect can be as painful as physical abuse, Albus. In many cases, it can often be worse. You have seen what it can turn children into."

Severus curled his lip in disdain with that last comment, clearly referring to himself to stress his point. He could tell from Albus' pained look that the point was well made - but that did not stop Severus from stating what had been on the tip of his tongue the night before, torn away from him by the prospect of a summer with the blasted child.

"What were you thinking?" He hissed softly, black eyes flashing dangerously. "That perhaps by growing up unloved and reviled by his relatives, he would be so grateful to our world he would die for it?"

Even as he asked the question, Severus felt a yawning abyss form in his stomach, nauseating him entirely. The look Albus gave him was so utterly traumatized that the Potions Master was unsure if he had hit the mark or just completely shocked the older man. Knowing that such a thought had not been the Headmaster's ultimate intention would ease some of the nausea he was currently feeling, and the Headmaster's response was clearly genuine.

"I have done many terrible things in my life, Severus, but whatever I have done to make you think that low of me is by far among the worst of them. I know you and I have never seen eye to eye when it comes to some of your Slytherins, but I would never have a child deliberately raised to be a martyr."

The challenging look that suddenly crossed Severus' face gave Albus pause, before he stated quietly, "I have done many things to prepare Harry for his final meeting with Voldemort, Severus. I confess to manipulating many events and permitting far more danger than I should have in order to strengthen him, and that I have made terrible mistakes while doing so."

Here, Albus winced slightly as he recalled Harry's response to being ignored last year, as well as the consequences involved in that decision. Sighing, Albus continued with a quiet but firm tone. "Never once have I done anything with the intention of letting Harry become a martyr. I am not raising the boy to be a lamb for the slaughter, as you have so eloquently insinuated, but doing my best to train a young boy to survive under horrible conditions. I did not place Harry with the Dursley's so that he would suffer, Severus. All I wanted was for him to be raised away from his fame, so that he would be humble and gentle, as opposed to proud and arrogant."

Albus sighed, his heart rather torn by the accusation Severus had made and the internal fear that the man may have a point on some level that Albus had not realized. Had that truly been one of his subconscious reasons for ignoring Harry's home life? He could only hope, for the sake of his soul and Harry's that it had not been. Albus did not fail to notice the way his last words on arrogance and pride had affected Severus, but he wisely ignored the younger man's almost completely repressed wince. When Severus spoke again, he sounded as worn as Albus felt.

"You have gambled a great deal when it comes to Lily's sacrifice and Potter's well being. I am unsure how much of your answer I am willing to accept at this point, so I suggest we move on." Pinching the bridge of his nose to combat the threatening return of his headache, Severus found himself asking once again, "Just what do you expect to have happen at Roan House, Albus? I do not appreciate being maneuvered like this."

Here it was Albus' turn to shake his head, though the return to the subject of Roan House brightened him. Severus was already showing a very large shift in his opinion of Harry, which was a very good sign. He only wished it had not come at the high price of similar childhoods.

Rising to his feet, Albus picked up the yellow quill laying on his desk and stepped around to Severus. Holding it out, the Headmaster replied as honestly and cryptically as only he could manage. "I expect many things to happen, Severus, but more than anything I expect for you and Harry to get along." He deliberately made the last sound as a threat, rather than a hope for the long run, and Severus' sneer showed he understood only the threat as he took hold of the quill rather than answer him.

Moments later, Albus was tucking away the quill as Severus looked around himself with a growing expression of alarm. The Headmaster watched with mild amusement as the younger man's expression turned from irritated upon arrival to calculating as he glanced around to gather his bearings, then to mildly horrified as he took in the area around them.

They were completely surrounded by trees, many with trunks wide enough around to need four or five people to encircle. Roots tangled across the forest floor and sported a healthy covering of brownish moss that blended in very well with the wood and dirt. The clear area in the circle of these ancient trees was covered in tall wild grass that in some areas was almost waist deep, making it impossible to tell if any wild animals were nesting within the clearing. Just as Severus turned to face him with a question clearly ready to fly from his lips, Albus held out the piece of parchment from earlier.

The look of relief was almost comical as Severus took the parchment, a rare moment of allowing his features to clearly state that he was hoping something. In this case, that the area around them was a very well crafted illusion. Albus held back a large smile as Severus raised his eyes from the parchment and found only half of his hope come true. Where the young man had once seen only grass, there was now a stone cottage with a sloping roof and a very untamed garden. In some areas the weeds were so intense they truly were waist height, while others had seen fit to try and claim the greying fence surrounding the small cottage as a part of them. Weeds had grown so strongly around the wood that in some places the fence was pushed backwards by the weight of them.

Albus watched Severus closely as the man took in the wild garden and the cottage itself, with its blue-grey stones and dark thatched roof. The cottage had always had a very rangy look to it, Albus thought fondly, though its years without a tender to its garden had rather improved that fact. As Severus continued to remain conspicuously silent, Albus decided to break the tension himself.

"There used to be tulips, but I'm afraid I haven't been here much over the years and have as such neglected to replant them." Severus gave him a disbelieving look, but Albus predicted the coming retort and stated simply, "Fidelius, unplottable, and blessedly impossible to find even if you know where it is, this house is much more than it appears, my boy. Come, let us introduce you to the wards."

Stepping forward and blithely ignoring the expression on Severus' face, Albus led them to the rusted iron gate and pulled out the set of keys from before. Taking the bronze one, he slid it into place despite the fact the gate was all but falling off his hinges. Severus discovered why instantly.

All along the fence shimmered shields Severus recognized - everything from Muggle repellants, intruder alarms and anti-apparition charms almost as strong as the ones at Hogwarts, to a highly concentrated Protego Horribilis and at least three spells Severus did not fully recognize. The outer perimeter alone was impressively protected well beyond the two charms Albus had informed Severus of and the Potions Master couldn't help but be somewhat impressed.

"Severus, if you please," Albus stated, drawing the younger man from his contemplations and nodding him towards the key. Wordlessly, Severus placed his hand on it and Albus instructed him to turn it to the left and hold it. Doing so, Severus was then informed of the password - Little Horse - which he voiced as Albus waved his wand. After a few moments, Severus felt control of these spells fall to him and at Albus' instruction, he stepped into the yard. As he did so, Severus realized that one aspect of the Horribilis being so concentrated actually gave it an invisible but entirely physical manifestation. Even if the fence did not exist, trying to walk past that perimeter would be very much like walking into a solid brick wall.

Reaching out, Severus brushed his fingers against the shield and found his theory proven as they met a warm and very resilient resistance. He turned to the Headmaster, but froze as he saw that someone was now standing right in front of him. Where she had come from, he had no idea, but there was something about her that felt incredibly wrong. Her hair was waist length and auburn, left loose over an ankle length white dress that was relatively formless. Her feet, Severus noted, were bare and dirty, as though she had been walking through the forest without shoes for some time.

"Arianna." The girl turned at the sound of the Headmaster's voice, which Severus was alarmed to note sounded as though the man was on the verge of tears. His wand was in his hand even before the Headmaster continued with, "Please accept Severus as the new Master of Roan House."

The words alerted Severus immediately to what was wrong with the girl. She wasn't in fact human, but rather the physical manifestation of another ward. This particular magic was incredibly rare and more often than not, Dark in nature. The Potions Master looked at Albus in genuine surprise, even as the Ward spoke.

"Does he have my key?"

"Ah, yes, of course." Albus breathed, as though he had anticipated resistance. Handing the key ring to Severus, Albus pointed to the silver one that had gold inlaid in it.  "This is perhaps a touch more complex, Severus." Albus said softly. "You must detach the key and give it to Arianna, and thank her for letting you stay here. The key will eventually return itself to you - she is the Guard. If someone were to manage their way through the outer defenses, they would be forced to fight Arianna. She is capable of three very powerful spells, but once they are used it is up to the inner defenses should you be unable to escape by then. The likelihood of her needing to use them is very slim, of course." He added lightly.

Severus gazed hard at the Headmaster, uncomfortably certain that there was more to Arianna than the old man was letting on, but did as requested. As he handed over the key and thanked her, Severus found himself dazzled by an unexpected smile. "Of course! I love meeting new friends." The Ward returned, before slowly fading from view. The Potions Master blinked, and heard the Headmaster sigh softly behind him.

"She was my sister," Came the entirely unexpected explanation and causing Severus to turn around sharply. "This cottage was where I and a good friend of mine worked on our various experiments. Arianna needed...close watching and our mother had passed away by that time, so we often brought her here with us." The Headmaster's smile was unbearably sad and, having never been privy to the man's past before, Severus found himself too shocked to glance away from it.

Seemingly understanding, Albus stepped to the house and continued in a much lighter tone. "She was the one who named our little cottage. Arianna thought it had the look of an old, wild horse and often referred to it as her happy place. It was my friends idea to place her manifestation as the Guard."

Stopping at the door, Albus' expression grew a bit shadowed as he admitted softly, "It is because of Arianna that I have avoided using this place as Headquarters, or anything of importance until now. I did not think I would have the heart to face her."

Severus did not know what to say to this, but he thought he understood what Albus was not saying. The man had been afraid of seeing Arianna again - afraid that particular ward might even turn on him. It was clear there was a dark shadow when it came to Albus' sister - one that he had only been motivated to face when he was in dire need of protection for Potter. That, in itself, was telling.

"Now then, this is the last and hopefully easiest. Use the iron key now, and turn to the right." He stated, nodding Severus to the door. Wordlessly, Severus did as requested and found his hand covered by the Headmaster's as he turned the key. The man's wand waved in a circle above their joined hands and a fine green thread wrapped around them both.

"What happens at Roan House, stays at Roan House," The Headmaster stated solemnly, before nodding an indication for Severus to repeat the statement. After doing so, the thread broke and the door opened of its own accord, just slightly.

"Welcome to your summer home, my boy." Albus murmured softly, motioning him inside. Somewhat unnerved by the password, Severus did as requested and found himself genuinely surprised by the inner state of the cottage.

Where the outside was a shambling, rangy show of neglect and wilderness, the inside was practically immaculate. Off to the left was a small living area with a plush green rug and chocolate brown furniture. There was a couch and two chairs in a semi-circle around the rug, facing the fireplace. Between the couch and chairs were small end tables, and the far wall was lost behind two very large bookcases. One was filled, while the other was not.

To the right of the door was a small cooking area with a wood stove and a large, dark brown table. There were three chairs and each had a green seat cover to soften the wood. Just beyond the kitchen was a hallway, and Albus led Severus this way. There were three doors - one at the end, and two across from each other. The one at the end Albus revealed to be a humble bathroom with a small shower, sink and toilet, as well as a hamper and a full cabinet of towels and cleaning supplies. Severus raised a brow and Albus smiled a bit.

"My friend was very concerned about hygiene. The House is therefore charmed against dust and dirt, and the cleaning shelves stock themselves - both the ones for people and the ones for cleaning house." He nodded to the cabinet under the sink as he stated this, and Severus found a fair amount of All-Purpose Stain Remover was indeed stocked beneath it. "The same is of course said of the food cupboards," Albus added lightly, causing Severus to snort softly.

Leaving the bathroom, Albus stopped and eyed the doors, before taking one key off the ring and handing the rest to Severus. "You are now in control of the perimeter wards, the House wards and your room. Arianna is independent - she will react only when needed. Harry will receive the key to his own room, but you are still Master of the Wards - you can get in even if he locks you out, but I would suggest avoiding that if possible. The House has a way of having its own say in things - if you abuse your power here, the House itself may bar you from him."

At this, Severus gave Albus a sharp look, but the headmaster shook his head. "I'm afraid the explanation for that is far too long and twisted to travel today, Severus. Respect Roan House as an entity much like Hogwarts and you will not find yourself in any trouble." The Headmaster paused before adding, "The House protects its inhabitants as fiercely as a mother bear protects its cubs. This protection is not only against what is outside, but what is inside. You and Harry can fight as much as you like, but you will come to find the House will not tolerate the two of you abusing one another. It will lay its own laws in that respect. It is always clear when a new line is drawn, so don't worry about that." He added lightly as he pointed to the door which Severus' bedroom key would unlock.

Noting the alarmed and swiftly enraged expression now clouding Severus' face, the Headmaster gave a slight smile. "The House will not take away your free will, Severus, nor force you to like anyone you do not wish to like. It will merely keep you and Harry from - what did you say - ah, yes - killing each other this summer. It won't allow Harry to hex you anymore than it would allow you to force Harry into an unfair and overdone punishment." Here, he gave Severus a look that said all too well what he thought of some of the reasons made for Harry's often very hard-worked detentions. Severus had enough grace to swallow whatever he'd been about to snap with and instead turned his attention to the door.

"You may change the password once you're inside. Just place the key to the handle and say the old one, then the new one twice, and it will reset. You get in by turning your key once right, and once left. The password is currently 'Don't ask.'"

Raising a brow at the Headmaster, but receiving only a bemused smile in reply, Severus did as requested and stepped in to survey his new quarters. There was a handsome four poster bed that was easily twice the size of the one he had at Spinner's End that sported a deep navy coverlet that matched the equally dark carpet. There was a desk and an empty bookshelf, as well as a wardrobe and an end table on either side of the bed. Before he had a chance to comment on anything, Albus spoke.

"I'll leave you to settle in then, Severus. I do believe Harry is waiting for me now." Severus turned sharply as the Headmaster began walking away, and was quick to follow him out. However, he was stopped from saying anything at all when he felt a soft sigh in the wards around them - as if they recognized something and were lazy to comply. Before Severus could register or ask what that meant, Albus Disapparated and the feeling sharply closed off.

Realizing there was apparently a much stronger 'Master of the Wards' here at Roan House, Severus stiffened sharply before attempting to do the same. As he reached for the anti-apparition wards however, he suddenly felt a swat to the back of his head.

Turning sharply, Severus found himself facing nothing but air. A slight chill ran down his spine as a voice sounded inside his mind that sounded quite disturbingly like a much younger Albus Dumbledore. 'You can't do that unless its important, or you'll weaken it. Leave it alone please.'

There was a sense of amusement all around Severus for a brief moment, before he once again was left feeling as though he were alone in the House. Deciding then and there to demand considerable explanation from the Headmaster when he returned to introduce Potter to this place, Severus turned and stormed back to his newly appointed room.

Closing the door, Severus took the time to change his password before removing his cloak and setting it over the chair that sat before the desk. Removing his trunk from the inner pocket, Severus enlarged it and calmed himself by setting its contents about the room. By the time he had the bookshelf packed full, Severus was centered once again and had begun formulating the questions he would ask the Headmaster upon his return.

Realizing he did not have enough room on the bedroom shelf for all his books, Severus levitated the rest out to the living area and placed them on the empty shelf there before warding it with an alarm spell that would alert him if Potter tried to take any of the books. He doubted it would happen, considering the boy's obvious lack of interest in research, but it was better safe then sorry.

Returning to his room, Severus locked it and stood before the door a moment before making his way back to the living area, where he settled into a chair to wait and develop his questions. It was clear from the Headmaster's statements and that little moment earlier that the House possessed its own sentience. A sentience with the Headmaster's younger voice, in a place guarded by the manifestation of the man's sister. Severus knew three things beyond a shadow of a doubt from those two facts.

The first was that this was likely the safest place in the world for himself and Potter, all protections considered. The second was that he and Potter were, indeed, prisoners this summer, as Albus was still the ultimate master of this place and had somehow made it clear that they were not meant to leave. The third was that this house held many secrets, and Severus had a feeling that some of them could very well be dark. He was not entirely certain how he felt about the last, but the second infuriated him. He did not appreciate being caged.

Little did he know, at that very moment Harry was sharing much the same sentiments.
 

Chapter End Notes:
Woo! I hope everyone enjoyed that. There's a couple of things in here that will be discussed in later chapters - including Arianna's manifestation - but there's a lot more to Roan House than meets the eye.

Coming soon:

Chapter 5: Summer Safety