Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10 - Remembrance and Realisation

Minerva sat in the living room of the quarters she shared with Albus lost in thought. After returning from the Ministry her love had left her in the capable hands of the matron as he went to deal with the fallout of what had happened. She didn’t envy him having to tell Harry’s friends or the Weasley family.

Her mind strayed to when she had first heard that Harry was supposedly Severus’ son and not James’. She had been skeptical thinking at first that Snape was up to no good and was toying with Harry for she had no memory of the engagement or wedding. When she had questioned Poppy she had been adamant that she delivered James and Lily Potter’s baby.

Severus had knocked at her door about a week after the discovery. In his hand he had a potion vial. “What can I do for Severus?” she had asked rather coldly.

“I would like to share a memory with you then give you this,” he held up the vial, “to take. It will restore your memories. Albus and I have taken it, as has Poppy and some others. Albus has asked that you wait until he is here to take it though. He thinks you might need comforting.”

The old tabby didn’t miss the smirk on the young man’s face or the spark in his eyes. She cuffed him smartly up the side of the head, “Behave young man. You’re not too old remember?”

“You wouldn’t?”

“Not me, Albus.”

“Yes Ma’am,” he said earning himself a second cuff. This time his hand flew up to rub the sting and his cheeks reddened, “Yes Mum.”

She smiled at him then told him to get her Pensieve out of the cupboard while she cleared her desk. When the Pensieve was in place she watched him withdraw a memory with the tip of his wand and place it. “Alone or together?” he asked.

“Alone,” she said bending forward and slipping into the memory.

“To keep Lily and the baby safe we’ll be placing charms on the baby to make him or her look like James. We’ll be altering records to make it look as though they were married. Only when the truth is revealed will everything change to the way it should be. The baby is the only exception he or she will not change until the Dark Lord is dead.” Severus, Lily and James stood in her office telling her of their plans. “We can either Obliviate you or we can hide your memories deep in your mind. They can be restored later with a potion.”

She had chosen the second option. She and Albus had never been blessed with children and she looked upon these three as surrogate children, to the extent of encouraging Severus to call her Mum when they were in private. She had known that the two young men hadn’t always been friends. Lily had drawn them together.

When she was back in her office Minerva rounded her desk and hugged a startled Snape. “You poor lad,” she whispered in his ear.

“It was for the best Mum. I just hope Harry can forgive me for the way I treated him up until now.”

Minerva heard the sadness and fear in his voice. She hoped so too. She hadn’t been blind to Harry’s unhappiness with the Dursleys but the child had never come forth and said anything. Severus and Harry needed this, needed each other.

“He will. Give him time to adjust. Give yourself time too. It’s a big thing for both of you.”

They talked quietly as they waited for Albus. Severus told her of his intention to announce Harry’s parentage to the school that evening. He explained that once her memories were restored all the records would change to show the truth. It would only be a matter of time before the details got out and he wanted the students to know the truth not some fabrication of the Ministry’s. Then there was Umbridge she was bound to go running to Fudge.

 When Albus finally joined them he suggested going to their private quarters as it was best she lie down after taking the potion. Albus sat down at one end of the sofa and drew her down next to him. “Lie down Minnie,” he said patting his lap. Severus coughed in an attempt to cover up the small chuckle that had escaped.

“Not one word Severus Tobias Snape,” Minerva growled.

Without looking at her Snape handed her the potion to take. It had tasted horrible as potions often do. She lay back and closed her eyes grateful that Albus was there stroking her hair as her memories returned. It was all there Lily’s excitement when she told Minerva of her engagement. The angst and heartbreak when Lily’s sister had declared she wasn’t attending a freak show of a wedding. The open love the two had shared on their wedding day and the beautiful swirling magic that showed that soul mates had found each other. The day that Severus had dragged her and Albus into the infirmary to show them the magic scan of their unborn child.

Once her restored memories had settled Minerva opened her eyes and slowly sat up. She noticed her face was wet, she had cried tears of joy and sadness as each memory unfolded. She turned to Albus, buried her face in his chest and wept. The two men managed to get a calming potion into her. When she pulled herself back together she looked at Severus and offered to help in any way she could. Severus had lamented that there were no photos of him and Lily on their special days. Those words triggered another memory and had the elderly witch hurrying out of the room.

She returned with a box and handed it to Severus. “James bought that to me before he and Lily went into hiding. He told me to keep it safe and that I would know when it was time to give it to you.”

Sadness flooded the young man’s eyes and his hands shook as he opened the box revealing a photo album. “It… it’s the album Lily and I put together.”

Albus got up from where he was sitting and went to Severus, he gently tugged the box out of his hands and turned to give it to Minerva. “Come and sit with us son, we can look at it together.”

The older two barely heard the ‘yes dad’ that escaped Snape’s lips.

*****

It was a very tired and greatly saddened Albus Dumbledore that returned to his tower office and sunk wearily into his chair behind his desk. He had left Minerva with Poppy; he would join them later after he had spoken to the Weasleys and Hermione. He was not looking forward to telling them what had happened. Before he had left the Ministry Kingsley had offered to find Arthur and have him floo through to Hogwarts. Albus would get the Weasley patriarch to call his wife and ask her to join them. A house elf would bring Hermione, Ron, the twins and Ginny.

As he waited his attention was drawn to his glass, silver and chrome gadgets that whirled and twirled, beeped and hummed. They were all doing their thing. Albus sat up something was off. He got up and walked to one of the tables. It was Harry’s table and the one next to it was Severus’. Everything was working perfectly on both tables. If Severus and Harry were dead the instruments would be still and silent. He stood there stroking his beard pondering what it meant.

He heard Fawkes trilling and turned to look at his feathered friend. He was surprised to see the phoenix leaning into the touch of a stranger. Instinct told him he had nothing to fear from this intruder. His familiar was a good judge of character. The stranger turned and focused on Albus. The Headmaster gasped when it dawned on him just who was visiting.

“Greetings Albus Dumbledore,” Merlin said.

“Merlin?” Albus blustered shaking his head, “No you’re… he… Merlin’s dead.”

“Yes I am he and contrary to the rumours I am very much alive. Perhaps we should sit down.”

“Yes, yes,” said Dumbledore making his way to his chair. He waited for Merlin to sit also, “Lemon drop, tea?”

“No thank you. I cannot stay long. It would appear that you have already worked out that your boys are not dead. I must ask that you not reveal this to anyone.”

“Not even Minnie?”

“No one Albus. It’s for…”

“…the greater good. I know, I know,’ finished Albus sadly, “I just hope she’ll forgive when she finds out I knew.”

“You’ll have to do something about your little gadgets,” Merlin said indicating the tables Albus had just been studying, “They’ll give the game away.”

“Where are they? How are they?” Albus asked as he cast a concealment charm on the tables.

“They are in Camelot and they are both well. They are quite safe and will train to defeat Voldemort once and for all. I promise we’ll tell you everything once it’s safe to do so. I know it’s going to be hard for you to keep everyone in the dark but we need to keep our advantage. Try to put off any memorial service for as long as possible. If all goes well you won’t need to have one. Now I have two requests of you before I leave you to your unpleasant task. I would like to take the Sword of Gryffindor with me. I would also like for you to wear this pendant. I have no doubt I will need to come back here and the pendant will warn you so that you can make sure your office is empty.”

Albus took the silver chain and examined the medallion attached. It had a gryffin and basilisk engraved on it. He placed it around his neck. He got up and made his way to one of the many shelves in the room and took down the same sword Harry had slain a basilisk with in his second year. He handed to the venerable wizard. “Take care of my boys for me. Don’t let Severus work too hard on potions. He gets too absorbed and will forget to stop to eat or sleep. As for Harry if there is trouble to be found he’ll find it, just like he did today.”

“I’ll keep watch. There are ways to slip someone a sleeping draught,” Albus chuckled at the thought of Severus being tricked into taking one of his own concoctions.  “As for your grandson I have no doubt his father can keep him in line.”

The floo flared and before Albus could answer Merlin said goodbye and vanished. “Albus? Albus, Kingsley said you wanted to speak to me. Does it have to do with Harry?” Arthur said.

“Come through please Arthur.” Arthur stepped through looking expectantly at Albus. “So you heard?”

“I thought it was rumours at first. I haven’t been home yet Albus. Poor Molly she must have heard by now.”

“Why don’t you call home and have her come here. I’ll get the elves to bring tea.”

“Tea? At a time like this?”

“It’s a special calming blend Arthur.”

The older Weasley understood and nodded. A couple of minutes passed before Molly stumbled through the floo. She was already in tears and was clinging to her husband, her grief quite evident. The men managed to get her to sit down and to have a spot of tea while she gathered herself so they could tell the children.

As the calming draught took effect Albus summoned three house elves. He sent them to bring the Weasley children and Hermione Granger to his office. “Apparate them here please,” he told them.

“Yes Headmaster Dumblydore Sir,” the elves chorused and popped away as he conjured more chairs.

Headmaster Dumbledore felt his age and then some when he delivered the news that would shatter the children who had come to see Harry as their brother. The calming draught was still working and Molly was able to comfort her daughter as Arthur supported the twins. Ron and Hermione had turned to each other. When their initial grief faded the questions started. “Professor Dumbledore how did Harry get out of the school and to the Ministry?” Hermione asked through her sniffles.

Dumbledore fiddled with his beard as he contemplated her question, “I seem to recall… Rollo.”

Head house elf Rollo popped into the room bowing low to Albus, “Yes Headmaster Dumblydore Sir?” the elf squeaked.

“Have you seen Dobby?”

“Dobby? Not since he was called to the Master Potions Master’s rooms.”

“Does that answer your question Miss. Granger?”

He thanked Rollo and asked the elf to organise some juice and cookies for the children.

“But how did they get out? Surely you were watching the floo and Harry can’t apparate,” the young witch was beginning to get angry.

“It’s not the Headmaster’s fault Hermione. Elves can apparate in and out despite wards and they can take people with them,” Molly spoke up.

“I’m… I’m sorry,” Hermione said bursting into tears again. “I… I… just don’t understand.”

“If anyone is to blame…”

“… it’s Fudge and his stupid law,” Fred and George said, the others agreed.

“Why didn’t he listen Dad? To Harry when Vol… Voldemort returned. To others when they asked him to spare Snape. Yeah he’s greasy and snarky but he’s Harry’s dad,” Ron choked out as he comforted Hermione.

“I don’t know son. Some people just don’t want to admit they are wrong.

“We should send him…”

“…something special,” the twins said a mischievous smile trying to cross their faces.

“That’s enough boys,” Arthur chided.

“He never liked Harry. Hopefully he’ll be forced out of office for this. He doesn’t deserve to be Minister,” Ron spat.

“He’s not,” Arthur said calmly. He didn’t want to lessen the grief his family was feeling but he needed to tell them before it made the paper.

“What they kicked him out already? Good riddance to bad rubbish I say,” Molly said before muttering to herself about dimwits who let power go to their heads.

“Hope the new Minister isn’t like that,” Ginny said quietly as she pulled away from her mother.

“I can assure you he’s not,” Arthur said quietly.

“What they’ve got someone already?” Albus asked.

“Yes Albus. Fudge appointed his successor before he left.”

“Who?” they all asked.

“Me.”

It took a while for Arthur’s news to sink in. Molly threw her arms about her husband, “Arthur that’s wonderful. If only Harry was…” Tears gathered in Molly’s eyes as she realised where her words were taking her. She started crying softly which in turn set Ginny and Hermione off again.

“I still can’t believe it,” Ron said shaking his head, “Why did it have to be Harry?”

At his words the witches’ soft cries became wails of despair and heartbreak.

Albus took pity on the children and with Arthur’s help got all of them to take a calming potion. When all were relatively calm they began talking about what would be happening over the next few days. Dumbledore would make a formal announcement after classes in the Great Hall. He asked the children if they wanted to go home with their presents but they chose to say.

“Dad will have enough to do…”

“…with his new position…”

“…and organising a memorial service”

“…for Snape and Harry.”

The Headmaster was grateful that the twins had bought up the topic as he hadn’t really wanted to. As a group they agreed that there would be two official memorials; one at the school for the students and staff; the other at the Ministry. Since the children were the closest thing Harry had to brothers and sisters it was decided to let them organise the school one. “It will help them find closure,” Mr. Weasley said quietly.

It was a sad group that parted company an hour later. The Weasley parents to their home to spend time with their older children before Arthur had to return to the Ministry. The five Gryffindors went up to their common room. They would join the rest of the students after classes but for now needed time to pull themselves back together.

Albus walked across the room to Fawkes. “Severus better tan that boy’s hide but good for what he has put me through, my friend.” Fawkes just trilled happily, he knew the old man was secretly very happy that both his boys were fine.