Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2 – Futile Endeavours

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore felt every bit of his one hundred and forty plus years of life. He had sequestered himself in his tower office at Hogwarts. He didn’t want to face Harry just yet but knew he couldn’t put it off for much longer. The Aurors had been at the school that morning and had taken Severus into custody and he was currently being held in a cell at the Ministry.

Dumbledore had asked to see him when he was there speaking to Minister Fudge. His request had been denied as he was not immediate family. He had been in Snape’s rooms just as the sun rose that morning. Kingsley Shacklebolt had taken time to warn him when the arresting party would be arriving. He and Severus had dealt with things that had to be done. Harry needed a guardian; his godfather had died at the Ministry during the confrontation with the Death Eaters.

Severus had no family besides Harry. Albus and Minerva were getting on in years. Lupin couldn’t be appointed because of his ‘furry little problem’. The Weasleys already had seven children of their own. In the end they had decided to give guardianship to Aurora Sinistra. She was young enough, lived mostly at Hogwarts since she taught Astronomy and Harry got on well with her.

Severus had rewritten his will months before when the true relationship between he and Harry had come to light. Albus had witnessed the document at the time and had hoped he would never have to see it again. He had hoped that the two would have many happy years together. Both of them deserved it especially Harry. He had been through so much recently and now this.

Despite his heavy heart Albus managed to conjure a protronus and he sent it to Minerva McGonagall requesting she and Harry join him. He had no idea how well the young wizard was going to take this latest turn in events. He knew that he could not keep it from him. The child had been lied to too often and denied too much in the past. Besides he had promised Severus. Though he doubted the promise would be strong enough to hold the boy at school.

A soft knock at the door had him straightening up in his chair, “Enter,” he called. He didn’t get time to greet them or offer them tea or even a sit before Harry was demanding to know where his father was. As gently as he could he told the anxious child what had happened that morning. At first it seemed as though Harry hadn’t heard anything but Dumbledore had seen the pain in the boy’s eyes. “I want to see him,” Harry demanded calmly.

“I know you do Harry but Severus asked me not to take you there. I have asked Kingsley to inform me of the time your father is expected to be taken to the ‘Veil Chamber’. Minerva and I will stay with you. You can have Miss. Granger and Mr. Weasley join us if you wish. I’m sorry there isn’t more I can do.”

Harry said nothing more except that he would be in his father’s rooms. Albus watched as the boy left the room. It had only been a few days since Sirius had gone unwillingly through the Veil. He had been cursed by Bellatrix LeStrange an insane follower of the Dark Lord. Harry had witnessed his godfather’s death and Severus had decided he didn’t want his son witnessing his.

Once the gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the tower office grated closed Minerva gave into the tears she had tried to keep from the young wizard. Albus held his Deputy and long time love in his arms as she wept for two lost boys. Neither deserved what Fate had decided to throw at them. He prayed to whatever deity that was listening to step in and do something. He also cursed Cornelius Fudge for being so heavy handed.

***

In the dungeon rooms he had begun to think of as home Harry alternately sat and paced. He wanted his father here with him. There was still so much for the two of them to do together. Severus had promised to take him on a real holiday over the summer break and to tell him more about his mother and grandparents. They were even going to see Dudley, Harry’s cousin. Thinking of his cousin made Harry wonder if this was how Dudley felt went his parents had been taken away from him.

That bought Harry back to the unfairness of it all. He had already lost his mother, step-father (as he’d come to think of James) and his godfather to that madman and his schemes. Now he was going to lose his father and he wasn’t going to be able to say goodbye. More than that though, he wanted to be able to tell his father that he loved him and to hear those words from the man himself.

Harry stared into the cold hearth then his eyes travelled to the ceramic pot that sat on the mantle. He could Floo to the Ministry but Dumbledore was probably monitoring the Floos as Umbridge had done. He was too young to apparate not that he could. He could sneak out through the tunnel to Hogsmeade like he had in third year but he wasn’t sure if there was a public Floo there like there was in Diagon alley. A smile crossed his sad face as thought of the perfect way to get to the Ministry, “Dobby.”

With a small pop a house elf appeared. It was bouncing from foot to foot unable to control its excitement at having been summoned by the great Harry Potter. “What’s can I dos for you Harry Potter Sir?” it squeaked.

“Dobby can you leave the school without asking the Headmaster?”

“Yes, all house elves can.”

“Can you take someone with you, you know past the wards?”

“Yes. Elf magic is different to wizard magic.”

“Could you take me to the Ministry for Magic?”

“Why does the great Harry Potter Sir want to go there?”

It was a tearful Harry that told the little elf what was happening. Whilst Dobby was loyal to Hogwarts and Headmaster Dumbledore he was foremost and forever loyal to Harry Potter. He promised to help the boy who had saved him from a terrible fate. He promised to stay with him for as long as he wanted to be at the Ministry. Dobby explained that his magic would be limited while they were there but he would be able to protect Harry.

Harry sent Dobby to his dorm in the Gryffindor Tower to get him a change of clothes and a set of robes. He didn’t want to wear his school uniform. Dobby was returned quickly and Harry dashed off to his room to change. A quick trip to bathroom was next before returning to the living area. Dobby gently took the boy’s hand and with a pop the two were gone.

The atrium at the Ministry was quite busy. Dobby led Harry to the security desk to have his wand checked and to get his visitor’s pass. The guard at the desk smiled sadly at him when he realised that he was there to see one of the condemned. He was about to give Harry directions to the holding cells when he realised the prisoner in question was being transferred to the execution chamber. He hesitated too long and Harry realised what was happening.

“Dobby we have to get there now,” he practically yelled. The little elf grabbed the boy’s hand and began dragging him towards the elevators. They were lucky enough to get an express one that went directly down to the ninth level. According to the others in the lift it had been set to only stop at the atrium and on the lowest floor. They also learnt that a special corridor had been added that went straight the death chamber. Harry was relived that he wouldn’t have to deal with the moving doors he had encountered last time.

The doors opened, Harry and Dobby alighted with the rest and moved along with the crowd down the new corridor. He hoped he was in time to at least see his father. No-one really took any notice of the teen as he made his way into the room. Most were too busy finding a seat and Harry felt rather sick at the thought that people wanted to watch. He had seen enough when Sirius fell through, he didn’t want to watch his dad go through it.

Harry noticed a side door opening and some people dressed in dull grey robes being led into the room. He spotted Severus and started running down the stairs shouting “Dad.” An eerie hush fell on the room and all heads turned to watch the teen.  No-one attempted to stop him, not even the guards.

Severus had been taken by surprise at the sound of his son’s voice. He couldn’t believe Albus had broken his promise. He turned just in time to see Harry but the boy was moving too fast to stop; his momentum coupled with Severus being restricted by shackles resulted in the both of them toppling through the Veil.

***

As Albus comforted Minerva his Floo roared to life, he turned to see Kingsley’s face in the flame. “They’re taking Severus through to the Chamber now.” Before he could utter a response an alarm sounded through the castle.

The elderly couple looked at each other that particular alarm would only sound if Harry had left the wards of Hogwarts. “Stand back, we’re coming through,” Albus stated. The head disappeared and they followed it through the Floo.

“What was that alarm?’ the tall, muscular, dark skinned man asked.

“Harry has left the wards. He wanted to see Severus and I guess he found a way to get here,” Albus replied.

Without another word Shacklebolt escorted the other two through the Ministry building using corridors and lifts not available to the general public.

They entered the Chamber from the opposite direction of the door that the condemned would soon walk through. The three of them scanned the room for Harry and looked in the same direction as everyone else when a voice shouted “Dad.” As they watched Harry race towards his father a feeling of relief washed over them, it soon gave way to horror and despair as they watched father and son topple through the Veil.