Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6 - Merlin and More

As they waited for Merlin Harry noted that his father was deep in a conversation with Ezra about potions. He rolled his eyes, honestly even ‘dead’ the man was still caught up in them. With Sev occupied elsewhere he turned to Levi and asked him about Sirius. 

The vampire told him all that he could. They were uncertain of the actual curse that had been used on Sirius but it had done a lot of damage. The Healers had done what they could to stabilise him enough to move him to another realm. “He will need a lot of time to heal Harry,” Levi said quietly. “Time flows differently from realm to realm. Where Sirius is one month is almost equal to one of your days. Here time flows faster. You and Severus have been here for nearly two hours by your watch but for those you left behind it has only been a few minutes.”

“Does Remus know about Sirius?” Harry asked.

“He does but he is sworn to secrecy about it. To those he knows in your realm he appears to be grieving. He had wanted desperately to tell you but we cautioned him not too just in case Sirius did not make it. It would be unfair to make you grieve twice.”

“Can I see him?”

“Not yet Harry. He has a lot of healing to do. He’s in a coma of sorts.”

Levi could sense that the boy was becoming upset. He reached for his medallion and clutching it sent a silent message to Merlin to hurry. ‘Hopefully he can distract the lad,’ Levi thought. He didn’t have to wait long for a pulse of magic soon swept through the room and everyone became silent.

“Merlin is here, finally,” Ezra said.

Severus immediately stood up straight and looked towards the doors. He nudged his son to do the same before whispering in his ear for the boy to behave. Harry just sighed but did as his father said well until he caught sight of Merlin at least.

Harry was expecting a much older version of Albus Dumbledore and whilst the man who entered the room did indeed have long white hair, an equally long white beard and was dressed in colourful clothing it was the style of clothes that made Harry snigger then laugh outright. He was startled from his laughing by a sharp slap that Severus delivered to his thigh. He turned to glare at his father, “Ow Dad, that hurt,” the teen pouted.

“Show some decorum Harry,” Severus hissed.

“I wasn’t laughing at him Dad. I was laughing at what he is wearing.”

“And what pray tell is so funny about Merlin’s attire?”

“I find I am curious as to the answer myself,” said a gentle voice full of warmth and perhaps a bit of humour.

Harry looked up into the face of Merlin and smiled as he remembered why he laughed then he turned to his father. “When I was in primary school one of my teachers had a set of read along books. Books that were recorded on cassette tape. You listened to the tape and read the book along with it. One of them was ‘The Sword in the Stone’ and the pictures and storyline were from the Disney movie of the same name. I liked the book so much she let me watch the movie with the rest of the class. She knew the Dursleys wouldn’t have approved. Anyway there is a scene in the movie where Merlin returns from the future and he’s wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts.  He reminded me of it.”

The old wizard smiled at Harry and winked at Levi. “I’ve seen that movie too young man and a few others. I’m always curious as to how they will portray me and that was certainly one of the funnier ones.”

“Merlin,” Levi said standing, “allow me to introduce you to Severus Snape and his son Harry.”

Severus and Harry stood to shake hands with the venerable wizard. He welcomed both of them to Camelot as bid them to take their seats again before making his way to his own. The decision was made to have afternoon tea before getting down to business.

There was subdued conversation as they enjoyed their refreshments together. Merlin kept a careful eye on both Severus and Harry. There were a few times when the pair would rub at their left forearms. The old wizard would smile and if anyone looked they would have seen a twinkle in his eyes to rival Albus Dumbledore’s.

When the repast was over Merlin asked if anyone needed to bring anything up that couldn’t wait for the next formal council meeting. There was nothing of an urgent nature so he turned to Severus and Harry and began speaking. He explained the purpose of the council and that they were well aware of what was happening in Britain and that Fudge was panicking. He turned his eyes on Harry “It’s seems that young Harry has inadvertently solved a problem for us. We had been wondering how to save you from your ‘fate’ Severus. Winky had wanted to go to the Ministry and apparate out with you. But that would have put her in the spotlight and we need her at Hogwarts. Remus was also out as he is off on ‘Order’ business for Albus. So you see this afternoon’s little mishap has helped,” Merlin said.

“Why would you want to save me?” Severus asked in a slightly stunned voice.

“The short answer it wasn’t your time yet,” Ezra answered.

“Do I want to know the long answer?”

“You both need to know it. Whether you want to is a different story,” Levi spoke up.

“As you are both aware a prophesy was made concerning Voldemort and at the time an unknown child. You are also aware that wizarding Britain believes the ‘Saviour’ to be Harry,” Merlin said, “What you don’t know is that there is another prophesy, much older. It too points to a single person bringing down the darkness. But it is more specific.”

“We and those that have proceeded us have watched the goings on but not interfering until we were certain we had the right child. We believe that child to be Harry as well,” Firenze joined in.

“So you all expect my son to face a mad man on his own just like they do?” Severus snarled.

“Not alone. Yes the final blow will come from Harry but he will have all of us there with the exception of Merlin,” Olinda said.

“At least we think that’s how it will go. None of us will be really certain until the Founders are summoned,” Levi spoke.

“Founders; as in Hogwarts’ Founders?” Harry asked.

 “Yes the prophesy is specific to a point as far those involved are concerned but not how it will happen,” Firenze spoke, “Perhaps it would be best to show them the prophesy.”

“Quite right. It was written several hundred years ago right in this room. No one knows by whose hand but all the council member of that time were present. Quill took to parchment of its own accord,” Merlin informed them as he summoned a scroll of parchment. He handed it to Severus and Harry to read.

Father and son read quietly.

With the coming of the son of four

Who shall be marked by mighty Thor

Summon the spirits of the founders four

Slytherin and Ravenclaw

Hufflepuff and Gryffindor

With the number of three by four

The world of darkness shall be no more

Harry hand had risen to touch the lightning bolt scar above his right eye when he read the line about Thor. “How can you be certain this is about me?” he asked.

“We had out doubts as we have in the past,” Levi answered.

“Had? What has changed?” ask Severus with disbelief in his voice. His son didn’t need another burden laid at his feet.

“Ever since you shook hands with me Severus, your left forearm has itched,” Merlin said drawing Snape’s attention to the arm he was absently rubbing through his sleeve.

“It’s the dark mark,” the dark man replied.

“Does Harry bear the same mark?” Olinda asked, “He’s been rubbing his arm too.”

Snape turned to the teen “Does your arm hurt?”

“It itches, like something rubbed up against me.”

“Pull up your sleeves, both of you,” Merlin encouraged.

Reluctantly father and son started baring their arms. Severus heard his son gasp in surprise and turned to see an image was emblazoned on the boy’s skin. He left Harry to marvel at the tattoo as he quickly finished unbuttoning his sleeves and hastily shoving them up his arm. Severus felt tears spring to his eyes when he saw that the ugly mark Voldemort had branded him with all those years ago was gone. Yes it had been replaced by another that it was almost the same as the one that graced Harry’s arm.

They examined each other’s tattoos. Each bore a sword with the hilt near the wrist and crests. Harry’s wrist had five crests two on each side of the blade and one above. Whist Severus’ wrist had three, one either side of the blade and one above the point. The crests seemed familiar Severus but he could not pin point them.

The pair looked to the others in the room for an explanation.