Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys, hope you enjoy this chapter. It is quite...angsty.
Christmas Disasters

Four hours later, things were no longer running smoothly in the Potter household on many plains.

“I don’t want to wear this!” Severus yelled, stomping his foot on the floor. Once again, Ginny had identical outfits for the boys, so that her mother could take the entire family’s photo in front of the Christmas tree at the Burrow.

Severus, however, was not having it. He refused to wear the red sweater over a white button up shirt with a pair of blue jeans.

“Severus, you are wearing it. Everyone else is wearing it, and you will also.” Ginny said. Which was true. Even Harry had an identical outfit, and Ginny was wearing a shirt the same color red.

“No!” Severus said, stomping his foot again. The little boy was standing in his room in his underwear (which had little bubbling cauldrons all over them, and he was quite proud of them) and nothing else. His new shoes were on the bed with his blue jeans and socks (also with little bubbling cauldrons on them), but the red sweater was on the floor where he had thrown it the minute his Mummy had handed it to him.

“Severus, do we need to go to the study?” Ginny asked him as she sat on the bed. She had already dressed Teddy and Sirius, and they were in the living room looking at their new quidditch books.

“Nooooo!” Severus cried and then fell to the floor in wracking sobs only a child could call forth.

“Severus, what is wrong with you, Son?” Ginny asked him.

“I don’ wanna wear that!” Severus yelled through his sobs.

Ginny sighed.

“Severus, this is ridiculous. Do you want me to go get Daddy?” she asked him.

Severus sniffed loudly and looked up from his place on the floor.

“No, I don’ wanna spankin’” he sniffed and ran the back of his hand across his nose as he stood up and walked over to Ginny.

“Are you going to wear what I have laid out for you?”

“I don’ wanna.” He sobbed, and laid his head in Ginny’s lap.

Ginny took that opportunity to summon a wet washcloth, quickly wash Sev down, and quickly dress began to dress him.

“Nooooo!” Severus wailed and tried to get away from her.

“Severus Harrison Snape-Potter! Stop!” Ginny scolded him.

Severus immediately stopped and looked at his mother with sad eyes.

Severus stood there and allowed Ginny to dress him, though his views about the stupid clothes he was wearing remained the same.

“Severus, I need you to do this for me. Okay? A couple pictures, that is all I want.”

“Why does it have to be red?” Severus whispered. He had willingly wore the red pajamas the night before, because they had also had green in them, making them look decidedly Christmas-esk. This outfit looked Gryffindor.

Ginny sighed. She’d had a feeling that that was what his problem was.

‘It’s Christmas, Sev. Red is…”

“But why can’t it be GREEN?!” Severus yelled and started to wipe his runny nose with his sleeve until Ginny grabbed his arm and wiped his nose with the cloth she had.

“Sev, we aren’t going to discuss this anymore. You are going to find Daddy right now.” Ginny said as she tied the shoes she had just put on his feet. The shoes had, unfortunately, turned red as well.

“I’d rather be with Daddy anyways!” Severus yelled, and ran out of the room. Ginny sighed and rubbed her stomach. The baby was getting bigger every day and seemed to always be jumping around, tiring her out more than usual. She knew that she was low on patience, and she felt horrible about it, but the boys all knew better than to act out like Severus just had.

She slowly got up and walked towards the living room, where, thankfully, Teddy and Sirius were sitting, clean, on the couch, Severus was sullenly sitting on the floor beside Alby who was already dressed thanks to his Daddy, who was tying Jamie’s shoes.

“Are we all ready?” Ginny asked Harry.

“Yes, Hun, are you okay?” Harry asked. He had heard Severus yelling, but couldn’t make out what he was screaming about, but when he had come into the living room, he had been angry and his face had been red from tears. He knew that whatever it had been hadn’t been enough for Ginny to take him into the study or give him a time-out, but both Severus and Ginny seemed to be on edge. Which, in itself, was abnormal, as Severus listened to Ginny better than anyone else.

“Everything is fine. Let’s go before we are late or have another break down from one of the boys.” She said, bending down to pick up Alby.

She walked over to Severus and went to pick him up, but the little boy jerked away.

“No! Don’t talk to me!” Severus said, his face sullen and pinched in anger.

Ginny looked at him and bent down to pick him up. She bent over and whispered into his ear, “If you do not behave, you and I are going to end up in the study before you know it. Now stop it, Severus. You have been so good lately. Please continue to do so.” Ginny scolded him.

Severus sniffed again and laid his head on her shoulder, twisting her hair around his little fingers. Ginny smirked slightly. She knew the little boy was trying to comfort himself, and she hoped that he got out of this little funk before he did get into trouble.

Alby watched him curiously.

“Harry, I am going to go ahead and go through the Floo.” Ginny said. Harry nodded.

Ginny stood in the fireplace and threw the Floo Powder and yelled, “The Burrow!”

The trio twirled around until Ginny stepped out of the Floo and walked into her parent’s home.

“Ginny! Love, Merry Christmas.” Molly Weasley said, walking over to her to take one of the children.

Except Severus threw up all over the place.

“Damnit.” Ginny hissed under her breath, “I forgot to give him a stomach soother before we came over.”

“Ginerva! Watch your language!” Molly said as she sent a cleaning spell to the trio and then took Severus from Ginny who was silently crying. Gnomie suddenly popped into the room and hovered over the crying little boy.

“Sorry, Mum. We have had a trying morning. I think I should have made all the boys take a nap after they opened presents. They were too fueled with excitement this morning to sleep past six, and now Severus needs a nap.”

“No.” Severus said quietly, eyeing his mother sadly.

“You don’t have to take a nap, Sev, just please behave. Do you need a stomach soother?” Ginny asked, though she was already summoning one to her before he ever nodded and handed it to her Mum.

“Here, Sevy, take this for Grammy.” Molly said. Severus took the drink willingly, then laid his head back on his Grammy’s shoulder.

“Where is everyone else?” Ginny asked.

“Most of the boys are outside flying with the children, and everyone else is in the kitchen. Severus, would you like to go outside?” Molly asked him. He immediately shook his head no.

“I wanna take this off. I’m hot.” Severus said, pulling at the sweater.

“Severus Harrison…” Ginny started, but then sighed, “Sev, thirty minutes. Grammy can take our pictures, and then we can take it off. I even brought your favorite shirt.” She finished, patting the bag that was on her shoulder.

The Floo opened up and the rest of the Potter’s walked into the room.

“Finally. Can we take the stupid picture now?” Severus snapped.

Ginny turned around, hand on hips, and stared down at the little boy. He returned the glare his Mummy was sending him…for about five seconds and then looked down.

Ginny bent down in front of him.

“I think you and I are going to have to take a trip to the bathroom.”

Immediately, tears started to fall down his cheeks.

“No, Mummy, I’m sorry. I’ll be good.” Severus said, moving his hands behind him to cover his bum.

“One more chance, Severus. Mummy has about had all she can take, Christmas or not. Understand? Next time, I am taking you to the bathroom.” Ginny said.

Severus nodded, his lip trembling. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Sirius staring at him, but definitely knew better than to make any snide remarks, as his Mummy was serious when she said that he only had one more chance.

Soon, Harry and Ginny had all of the boys sitting around the Christmas tree, along with themselves, and were waiting on Molly to take the pictures. Harry and Ginny were closest to the tree, in the back, Sirius was to Harry’s right, Jamie was in his lap, Ginny sat to Harry’s left, Alby on her lap, Teddy to her left, and Severus sat between the two adults, leaning against Ginny.

What felt like forever, the pictures were finally finished, and all of the boys except for Severus ran outside to play with their uncles, cousins, and grandpa.

Ginny looked at Severus and then walked over to him and gently took the sweater off of him.

Ginny then continued by unbuttoning the white shirt underneath and taking it off of him.

“Now, was all that fussing worth it?” Ginny asked him as she pulled a long sleeved, black shirt that had the words “Little Potioneer” in changing colors over his head.

Severus sniffed and shook his head, “No, ma’am.”

Ginny looked at him. “Are you feeling okay?”

Severus nodded, and then wiped a random tear from his cheek.

“Can I go find Daddy?” Severus asked.

Ginny nodded and the little boy ran outside where he knew that his Daddy was at.

“Love, are you all right?” Molly asked her youngest child and only daughter, and wrapped her in her arms.

“Yes, Severus was just really difficult this morning. I don’t know what was wrong with him, but he was adamant that he was not going to wear that red shirt. He is still acting funny.” Ginny said.

“It will be all right, love, you know that little boys are funny at time. I would be worried if they were good all the time.” Molly laughed.

Ginny laughed as well, for she remembered the only times her older brothers were good for an extended amount of time was when they had done something wrong to begin with.

~sdrawkcab~

Sirius, Teddy, and Jamie were sitting at the side of the house, the contents of their pockets in a small pile between them.

“Are you sure, Sirius, that Mummy and Daddy won’t find out? What if he tells?” Teddy asked his big brother.

“Yea, Daddy said that we can only use our jokes in good fun.” Jamie whispered.

“Don’t worry, guys! It is in fun! Sides, Mum and Daddy won’t know that it is us. We are going to stick the Water Washer into Sev’s present from Grammy. Then, we will stick a fever fudge in his food… I, uh, borrowed one from Uncle George… And finally, Mummy brought his book The Grand Adventures of Wizarding the Wyrd. So, we can put a  Paint Bomb in his book…”

“No…I think that the first two are enough. If we ruin his book, he won’t ever forgive you.” Teddy said cautiously.

“So. Who cares what he thinks.”

“I do. He is my little brother.” Teddy said.

“Well, then fine, we will just do the first two.” Sirius said, standing up.

Secretly, though, he knew that he would follow through with his prank.

~sdrawkcab~

Opening presents at the Weasley’s was a big affair, so it was always done after lunch. The Burrow, which had been enlarged for the occasion, currently housed all of the Weasley boys and their families: Bill and Fleur, with their daughter Victorie, age 4, Percy and Penelope, with their son Perseus age 1, Charlie and his wife Maureen, who was currently eight months pregnant, George and Angelina, and their twins, Fred and Alise, and of course Ron and Hermione with Rose and Hugo. The Malfoys and Longbottoms were also there, so the house, although enlarged, was still packed tight.

In the living room, all of the adults were sitting on the furniture, many of them holding babies or toddlers. The older children were all sitting on the floor, patiently waiting for their presents. (If the tree at the Potter’s had been overwhelming, there was no way to describe the amount of presents that graced the Weasley tree.) 

Severus, who was feeling oddly hot, refused to sit on the floor, so looked around the room at his prospects.

He was mad at Mummy.

Sirius was sitting by Harry.

Grammy was getting ready to pass out presents.

Grandpa was going to help her.

He didn’t really know most of the others.

Except.

Aunt Cissy. She was pleasantly and thankfully sitting alone, next to Pansy, who had Asta in her lap.

Severus liked Aunt Cissy.

He walked over to her, and, without a word, crawled into her lap and laid his head against her shoulder.

Narcissa looked down surprised. She knew that Severus, while finally bonding with Harry, was a Mummy’s boy. But, Ginny had said that the two of them had had a tiff before coming over to the Burrow.

Narcissa looked over at Ginny, who was sending her a reassuring smile. She knew that Severus was still upset with her. They would talk when she laid him down for a nap when the presents had been opened.

Narcissa carded her hand through Severus’ hair, and then set the boy up and looked at him, shocked.

“Severus, baby! You are burning up! Ginny!” Narcissa called across the room. Ginny stood up and quickly walked over to the duo.

“What is wrong, Aunt Cissy?” Ginny asked. Narcissa grabbed her hand, and placed it on Severus’ head.

“Good Merlin! He is burning up.” Ginny took out her wand and waved it over the child.

His temperature was 106.8.

“Wait a minute. That is not a normal fever. GEORGE WEASLEY! DID YOU FEED MY BABY A PIECE OF FEVER FUDGE?!” Ginny yelled, turning around to face her older brother. George, who had no idea what was going on, was suddenly terrified of the lioness look on his little sister’s face.

“What? Gin! You know that I would never play any pranks on the kids! On Harry or Ron or Draco, yes! But the kids! Never!” George said trying to rectify the situation that he had no part in and was absolutely clueless about.

“Give me an antidote. Now.” Ginny demanded. She watched as George summoned what was needed, and handed it to his sister.

Everyone else was deadly silent, watching what was going on.

“Gin, I promise I had nothing to do with it! I always carry things around, but I am not seventeen anymore…”

Ginny sighed as she gave Severus the piece of candy so that his fever would go down.

“I know, George. I am sorry that I jumped to conclusions.” Ginny said, waving her wand over Severus again.

101.2.

“It is still high. Sev, are you okay? Have you been feeling sick?” Ginny asked.

Severus nodded.

“Well, that explains a lot.” Ginny said to herself.

“Can I still open my present from Grammy?” Severus asked. He knew that his Grammy knitted everyone sweaters, and, even if his Mummy made him wear that stupid red one, his Grammy would give him one in his favorite color.

“Yes, Love. Do you want to come sit with me and Daddy?” Ginny asked.

He shook his head no.

“Okay. If you start feeling worse, then tell Aunt Cissy. After we open presents, I think you and I will go upstairs and nap, okay?” Ginny said.

Severus nodded. A nap sounded good right then.

Slowly, presents were handed out.

Sirius sat up and looked over at Severus. This did not go unnoticed by Harry. Especially when a grin spread across Sirius’ face and he poked Teddy and Jamie to get their attention.

As soon as Harry looked over, he knew what they were watching.

Severus was laying back against Narcissa and was slowly unwrapping his present.

As soon as he had it fully open, a burst of water hit Severus straight in the face, drenching not only him, but Cissy as well.

Cissy looked shocked. Severus began to cry.

“My Grammy sweater! It’s no good!” Severus wailed.

Ginny jumped up started waving drying and warming charms.

Molly rushed over and quickly fixed the sweater (which was blue, green, and silver with an S on the front), and handed it back to a dry Severus who was still crying, not even realizing that the sweater he was so excited to receive was not ruined.

Harry looked down at the three boys in front of him, each silently laughing.

“Sirius, Theodore, and James. Go into the kitchen.” Harry said, standing up and pointing.

Ginny looked over, shocked that the looks on three of her sons faces were happy ones.

She put her hand out and stopped Harry. He bent down and in his ear, she whispered, “Make sure that they haven’t placed any more pranks on him. I have to get him calmed down, and that is not going to help anything if something else happens to him. Make sure they know that they are in trouble once we go home.”

Harry looked over at Cissy and Severus, and sure enough, the child was in near hysterics.

“Okay, Love.”

Harry walked towards the kitchen.

“Mum, please continue. I am so sorry, I don’t know what has gotten into them.” Ginny said, picking up Severus, who went to her willingly this time and wrapped his arms around arms tightly around her neck and buried his face. He had his sweater still in his hands. Gnomie came into view and sat on Ginny’s shoulder, whispering in the little boy’s ear.

“Dear, I raised George and Fred. This is nothing new, and you know it.” Molly whispered, as the other children in the room continued to open presents.

Ginny felt exhausted, but smiled weakly at her mother. This was not how Christmas was supposed to go.

~sdrawkcab~

“Boys, the first thing I want to know is if you three planned anymore pranks on your brother.” Harry asked. Harry was standing in front of the three boys, each of who were sitting in kitchen chairs, and looking down at their hands.

Not one of the boys even looked up.

Harry looked at the three boys, and decided to hit the weakest link.

“Jamie. You hurt Severus’ feelings. You don’t want to hurt them again do you?” Harry asked. Jamie sniffed.

“I’m sorry, Daddy. Those were the two pranks we decided on. We didn’t do the Paint Bomb in his book because Teddy said that that was mean.”

“Gah!”Sirius said, smacking his hand against his forehead. At the same time, elsewhere in the house, a scream filled the house.

“Bloody hell, what is it now.” Harry hissed.

“Oh! Daddy! You said a bad word!” Jamie said. Harry looked over at Sirius and Teddy. Teddy was staring at Sirius angrily.

Suddenly, Severus ran into the kitchen.

“Severus, son, come back here.” Ginny said, walking down the stairs.

Severus ran over to Sirius, said, “I. Hate. YOU,” and then raised his little fist and hit Sirius squarely on the nose.

Sirius burst into tears.

Jamie burst into tears because he knew that he was fixing to be in trouble.

Teddy looked at Sirius and looked as if he wanted to hit Sirius as well. He definitely didn’t look sorry for Sirius at all.

“Thanks, Sirius. You’re such a brat! You got us all in trouble because you don’t know when to stop!” Teddy hissed at his brother.  

Harry looked utterly lost as he grabbed a towel off of the table and pressed it against Sirius’ now bloody nose.

“What is going on?!” he asked. Ginny was picking up Severus, who had pinned himself up against the kitchen wall. Both of them had paint all over them, obviously from the Paint Bomb that Sirius had planted in his book.

“Harry, I think that we need to go home. I know that it is Christmas, but three of our children don’t know how to act, Severus is sick and hasn’t been the best child today, and we have several little boys that we need to have a discussion in the study with. Mum already said that she was going to keep Alby. He hasn’t done anything wrong, and it wouldn’t be fair if we took him home.” Ginny said.

Harry nodded, looking at his wife and soon. Green, red, blue, and yellow paint covered them both, and on the table, Ginny had laid Severus’ favorite book, now ruined.

Sirius was still crying, so Harry picked him up.

“You are in so much trouble, young man.” Harry told him. This caused Sirius to cry even harder. This wasn’t what was supposed to happen. Harry was supposed to think what he did was funny.

Now he was in trouble.

And it was all Severus’ fault.

Chapter End Notes:
Up Next: Well, let's just hope things calm down a bit.