Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Journey Out of the Mind
Severus sat in his mother’s lap, one hand was playing with a ringlet of long, black hair. Neither of them spoke, they simply sat and looked at one another.  

Sirius sat Indian style on the grass beside Lily. He looked at Eileen and Severus with interest.  

“He loves her very much, doesn’t he?” Sirius asked.

Lily smiled.

 “Yes. She loves him, too. More than anything, she loves him.” 

“Why aren’t they talking?” 

“They don’t need to talk yet, Sirius. They need to feel the essence of one another before they talk. They have missed one another greatly. It is hard for a mother and son to be parted with death.”

Lily looked at Sirius and smiled. 

“You know that this is a chance that not many get. James would have loved to come and see you. But, it was not possible.” 

“Yea. It really wouldn’t have been fair to Sev either.” Sirius whispered.  

Lily smiled at him.  

“No, it wouldn’t have been. You have changed, Sirius.”

“He is my brother. It took me a while to realize it. And, we still fight, but I need him. And, I think he needs me. Just like we both need Daddy and Mummy, and Teddy, Jamie, and Alby.” 

“You are right, Sirius.” 

“Do you know why we got a second chance? Me and Sev decided that it was probably because when we died we died unhappy.”

"You would probably be correct, but only Fate can know the true reason.” Lily told him.  

“He still misses you, Lily.” 

“I know, Sirius, I know.”

Both Lily and Sirius sat silently and just looked around them.  

Severus, still playing with his mother’s hair, looked into the brilliant blue eyes of his mother.  

“Are you sad that I call Ginny Mummy?” He whispered. Eileen looked down at him and ran her right hand gently down his left cheek.

“No, Love. It is possible to have more than one mother. I left you a long time ago. It is only fair that you have another mother whom is able to love you and care for you as I would have had I still been alive. And, this time, My Severus, you have a wonderful Daddy who loves you just as much as I and your new Mummy do.”   

Severus sat silently for a moment. 

“Sometimes I cannot forget what his father did too me when I was here the first time. My memories sometimes overlap each other. But, I don’t want to forget. Will I, eventually, forget them? I don’t want to be like I was the first time. I was not very nice.” 

“Severus, had I done as I should have, you never would have been the harsh man you were. You would have been more caring. But you had no one but Lily after I died. You grew up in harsh circumstances.”

“I miss you though, Mummy.”   

“I have also missed you. But, Severus, I am always with you.” 

Eileen hugged her child closer to her. She had made so many mistakes concerning her child. Her wish had been to give him a loving family…a family that did not care what his or her own blood status was. But, she had done the opposite. Tobias Snape had hated all magic and had condemned their son for his magical essence. Like many purebloods thought that muggle born witches and wizards had dirty blood, Tobias Snape had considered those with magic of dirty blood. He had lashed out at Severus so many times when Eileen was unable to protect him that she had been glad to know that her son was stubborn enough to never let his magic to be beaten out of him. Eileen herself had nearly lost all of her magic by suppressing it by the time she died.

She often thought she would not have died had she not hidden her magic away as she had.

“Severus, you are very happy, aren’t you, Love?”

Severus was silent for several moments. He continued to look into her eyes. He wanted to remember everything about them, as eyes were a window into a person’s soul.

“Yes. I am happier than I think I have been in a long time. They protect me, you know. No one has since you died. They…”

Severus stalled.

“They protect you better than I did, Severus.” Eileen whispered into his ear, “It is okay to say it, Love. I know that I was weak. I am thankful that Ginevra is a much fiercer mother than I allowed myself to be. I am glad that Harrison is a man better than your father ever would or could have been.”

“I still miss you though. But, I want to go back to my new Mummy and Daddy.”

Eileen smiled at him. She nodded.

“I would never keep you from them, love. Never. They protect you. Love you. And they would suffer if they lost you.”

“I have to speak with Dumbledore. Mummy isn’t happy about that. Sometimes I am bad. I fight with my brothers. I do things that I am not supposed to. Sometimes I put my vegetables on Sirius’ plate when no one is looking. I don’t always like Daddy to touch me and….”

Eileen put her finger up to his lips to quiet him.

“You, Severus Harrison Snape-Potter, deserved to be loved, no matter what you do. Your parents are there to help you walk a straight line when you need to be shown the way back to it. Now, love, I must be going. I want you to know that I am always with you… I love you more than anything.”

Eileen kissed her son, and then stood him up. She stood beside him and took his hand. Together, they walked over to Lily and Sirius.

Severus sat down in front of Lily, against a tree.

“Bye, Mum. I love you.”Severus whispered.

“And I love you, Severus. Be good…we shall be together again one day in the distant future.”

With that, Eileen vanished. Severus hastily wiped a tear away from his cheek.

“It will be okay, Severus.” Lily whispered.

Severus looked at her. She was no longer Lily Potter, the mother of his Daddy.

She was Lily Evans, eight years old, the only friend of Severus Snape.

“Lily!”

“Sev, everything is going to be okay. I only came back for a little bit to tell you some things. Like, you do have to talk to Dumbledore before you can really embrace your new life. That is why he was sent back…because you were not able to be truly happy and keep having nightmares. After you talk to him, things will get better. I promise.”

“Mummy doesn’t want me to talk to him. Daddy will convince her though. But, I don’t want to do it alone. I do not trust him.”

“It is okay, Sev. Harry and Ginny will keep you safe.” Lily told him.

Eight year old Lily stood up and dusted off her white dress.

She extended her hand to Severus and he took it so she could help him up.

“Sev, I have to go. I love you. When I leave, you and Sirius will wake up. It is not safe for you to stay in this world much longer, and your parents are worried about you. Remember, Sev, you are loved…”

Lily wrapped her arms around Severus, and he closed his eyes and stretched out his hand towards Sirius. Sirius took his hand.

And Lily faded away…

Severus opened his eyes, as did Sirius. Together, both boys sat up to look at a room full of people: Daddy, Mummy, Madam Pomfrey, Grammy, Aunt Mione, and Aunt Cissy.

“Hi, Mummy, Hi, Daddy. We are back.” Sirius said.

Severus smiled.

“Sev! Sirius!” Ginny squealed, and threw her arms around her two sons.

Sev looked her in the eye, “Mummy…I has to be soon…”

Ginny looked at him. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

She sighed, and Harry put his arm around her.

“We understand, Sev. We will be right beside you when you talk to him.” Harry told him, kissing the top of his head. Severus quickly rearranged himself and melted into his Daddy while Sirius did the same to his Mummy.

“I think that a snack in order!” Grammy said, clapping her hands lightly. The other three boys were in the living room with Andromeda, unsure of what was going on.

The boys had been unconscious for nearly an hour. Ginny did not want them out of her sight at the moment, the thought of losing them so fresh in her mind.

But, suddenly something else hit her.

“Oh…” Ginny doubled over for a moment.

“Gin, are you okay?” Harry asked her, his eyes growing wide.

Ginny’s eyes grew large.

“It’s time!”