Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A New Baby?

A new baby was coming.

Immediately, Grandma Dromeda had stayed with the children and Daddy had taken Mummy to the hospital.

And there were five children who were not happy.

Oh, they were okay with the fact that there was a new baby coming. But each of the small boys had their own fears about the new addition that would soon be in their presence.

Alby was, nearly three years old, was nervous because he was used to being the youngest. He had been the youngest for his entire life. He just wasn’t sure if he liked the idea of a new baby taking his spot.

Jamie was mainly afraid that the baby was not going to be a boy. Girls were just icky. His cousin Rosie was a girl and she was always telling him what to do.

Severus was nervous because six children instead of five meant that there would be less time for them all. He knew that that meant that someone was going to be left out, and he just knew that that person was probably going to be him because he had so many problems. He had nightmares, he talked back, he argued, and he fought. Even if he and Sirius were finally getting along, they still fought.  Yes. This new baby was probably going to replace him.

Sirius felt very similar to Severus. Six children was a lot. And, he and Sev weren’t really their real kids. So what if they got rid of them? What if they were tired of them? Sirius was finally starting to get along with Severus. What if they wanted to get rid of one of them and they chose him?

Teddy was simply nervous because of the fear he saw in his brothers’ eyes. He had been through this literally four times, and he was nearly seven years old. He got over his nervousness of replacement after Jamie and Alby. He hadn’t been nervous at all when Severus and Sirius had joined them. This was just another addition who he knew he would love and would love him.

But he knew the look in his brothers’ eyes. He knew that there was fixing to be trouble.

~sdrawkcab~

Andromeda fixed supper, something that she knew all of the children would eat, as she knew that Severus was sometimes a finicky eater, as was Jamie. Teddy, Sirius, and Alby ate nearly everything, though even they had things they did not like.

So, chicken strips, macaroni and cheese, and green beans. Something that Andromeda knew the boys all liked.

Except, as all things go with small children, nothing went as planned.

“I don’t like those.”

Severus. He pointed to the green beans.

“Severus, you do like green beans.” Andromeda said softly. She was sitting in the seat Ginny normally sat in, as she knew that she needed to be closest to the youngest three children.

Andromeda smiled at Severus.

“Gran’ma, I not hungwy.” Alby said from beside her in his high chair. He was playing with his food.

“Alby, you will eat. You are a growing boy and need food. And, if you do not eat, you will not get desert.”

With this, Alby stared at her, but then quickly took a bite of his macaroni and cheese.

The other boys were steadily eating their meal, but Severus was sitting in his chair with his arms across his chest.

“Severus, you need to eat, or you won’t get desert.”

“No!” Severus hissed at her then swiped his arm across the table, pushing his plate and its contents onto the floor.

He stared directly at Andromeda, nearly daring her to do something to him. He was not afraid of her. She was his grandma. She wouldn’t get onto him because that was not what grandmas did.

“Come with me, Severus.” Andromeda said, standing up from her chair.

He shook his head.

Andromeda did not want to cause a scene, so she leaned over and picked Severus up and placed him on her hip. She walked down the hallway and into Ginny and Harry’s study, as it was the closest room and she could easily see the kitchen from where she was, but the other children could not see them.

“Severus, that was uncalled for. I am disappointed in you. I know that you know how to behave young man.” Andromeda had sat down in a chair, and had Severus between her knees.

Severus looked mad.

“I don’t care!” he hissed, “I will do it again!” he said, then stomped his foot on the floor.

Andromeda stared at the little boy in front of her. She kept the children twice a week, yet she had never really had any problems with any of the boys. They usually got along quite well when they were with her.

This was the first time that she had ever had to get onto Severus.

“I think that you need to stand in the corner while everyone else finishes dinner.”

“No!” Severus said, and tried to back away from Andromeda.

Andromeda reached her hand around and smacked Severus, once, lightly on the bum.

Severus froze.

No one but his Mummy and Daddy spanked him. Ever. He was shocked.

And he burst promptly into tears, turned around, wrenched himself away from Grandma, and ran to his room, slamming the door as he did.

Andromeda sighed. That was not how she had planned on that going, but she knew it would be better if she left the little boy alone and let him calm down.

Hopefully, nothing else would go wrong.

All Severus could think was that he wanted his Mummy. Grandma was being especially mean today, and it wasn’t fair.

~sdrawkcab~

Sirius and Teddy snuck into Severus’ room after bedtime that night with a bar of Honeydukes chocolate they had found in Mummy’s desk. (the fact that Sirius had used a bit of ‘accidental’ magic to open the drawer was of no matter.)

“Hey, Sev. We brought some chocolate. We can eat it, cause we know that you are hungry.” Sirius said, jumping on Severus’ bed. Teddy followed closely.

“Here.” Teddy said, breaking off a chunk of the chocolate and handing it to Severus.

All three of them took big bites of the chocolate and talked quietly. They surely didn’t want Grandma to find them eating chocolate after they were supposed to be in bed.

Sirius looked at Teddy, they were joking about quidditch and who was better.

Until they heard rasping.

They both looked over to Severus, who had not said anything over the last few moments. His chocolate was on the floor, his hands at his throat, and his face was not only an odd shade of pale white, but also sweating.

“Oh Merlin! What is wrong with him?” Sirius asked.

“Grandma! Grandma!” Teddy screamed, throwing the door open.

Andromeda had been washing dishes and heard the screams. She went running towards the voice and found herself in Severus’ room.

“What happened?” She asked the two boys as she picked up Severus.

“Eating chocolate.” Teddy screamed, tears filling his eyes. Did he kill his little boy?

And then it clicked for Andromeda.

Chocolate. She didn’t know where they had gotten the chocolate, but she was willing to bet that it had traces of pecans in it, which Severus was severely allergic too.

She carried Severus into the living room and summoned the necessary potions to her, giving them to Severus. This was not the first time that she had had to help a person in this situation, so she was easily able to keep a level head.

Finally, finally, Severus began to breathe easier. Tears were falling down his face, but he was getting his color back and was sweating less.

“How do you feel, Sev?” Andromeda asked, wiping a summoned wet cloth across his sweaty face.

“Better.” Severus whispered.

“Okay, Love.” She said, hugging him against her chest.

“I’m sorry, Gran’ma. I am sorry I was naughty. It’s all my fault.” Severus whimpered.

“I’m so sorry! I shouldn’t have took that chocolate from Mummy’s desk!” Sirius said, running into the room and throwing his arms around Severus.

“It is no one’s fault. Boys, it was an accident. Accidents happen. Though you should not have taken that chocolate. You will have to tell your Mummy and Daddy that. But, now you know that everything is not safe, even something as simple as chocolate. Now, I think that it is time for both of you to get into bed. Hopefully, tomorrow morning, the baby will be here.” She said, smiling at both children.

Soon, everyone in the house was asleep, including Andromeda.

All except a tiny little boy with a real big fear who was having a lot of trouble sleeping.

Albus Severus Potter was terrified that this new baby that was going to take his place.

And it didn’t make him happy.

In fact, it made him quite sad.

~sdrawkacb~

Alby crawled into Severus’ bed the next morning and woke him up.

He jumped on top of him and yelled, “Sevvvvvvvvv!!!!!!!!!!”

“Umph!” Sev moaned, and opened his eyes. That was not how he would have liked to have woken up.

“Hey, Alby.”

“Come on, Sev. Daddy is home. I heard him!” Alby said quickly. He pulled on Sev’s arm, and finally the smaller boy was able to lug his big brother out of the bed.

Together, they walked into the kitchen, which was always the first place they went in the morning. Sirius was right behind them, and Jamie and Teddy were both already at the table drinking on pumpkin juice.

“Daddy!” Both Alby and Severus squealed, and went running towards him. Harry opened his arms wide and scooped them both up. Sirius came and stood between his legs and hugged his middle, which was easy since Harry was sitting down.

Harry was glad to see all of his children. He had missed them last night. And he had good news to tell them now.

“Well, boys, I have good news!”

They all looked at him expectantly. Alby on one knee, Sev on the other, Sirius between them, and Teddy and Jamie on either side of him at the table.

“What Daddy?” Jamie asked, excitement shining in his eyes.

“Boys! Mummy had the new baby last night. Boys, you all have a sister. Lillian Aria Potter!” Harry said proudly.

They all looked at him.

Alby jumped off Harry’s lap, burst into tears, and ran from the room.

Harry was stunned.

What the heck had just happened?

Chapter End Notes:
I am not sure how I feel about this chapter, but I hope everyone enjoyed it. It is a bridge of sorts for the upcoming chapter.

Up Next: Jealousy reigns freely in the Potter household...;)