Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Sorting
"Better be Slytherin!"

Dead silence followed the hat's announcement. It only lasted a moment but Harry had heard it. When everyone else had gotten sorted the hat's announcement had instantly been met with a loud burst of applause. It figured, even in the wizarding world he was different, a freak among freaks.

He had already heard the true story about his parents form Hagrid. He knew that he had been marked to be killed and then done something no other wizard has done before, survived the killing curse. Harry also knew that this was the reason everyone had been staring at him anytime he was in the wizarding world. But this was completely different. People were not staring at him as if he had performed a miracle. No, instead they were either giving him dirty looks or sharing a confused glance with their neighbor.

A slow scattered clap finally met his ears as he made his way over to the table decorated in green and silver. He looked for an empty spot and found one on the side of the blonde boy he had met in Diagon Ally the day he went with Hagrid.

"Hello," the pale boy greeted. "I was looking for you all day today and I couldn't spot you anywhere!"

"Oh," Harry said while he tried to figure out if he was mocking him. Blue eyes met green and Harry didn't find any traces of malice so he replied, "I found a compartment near the back of the train and decided to read some of my textbooks."

"On the train ride? Are you sure you aren't meant to be in Ravenclaw?" The boy responded making a face.

"Well this is where the hat put me, no?" Harry countered.

"True enough. Well anyway welcome to Slytherin. I'm Draco Malfoy by the way."

"Harry Potter."

"I figured." Draco replied.

They were interrupted by a loud burst of applause. Harry turned and saw a redhead walking toward the Gryffindor table while the table went completely mad. Looking back to Draco he saw that he and most of the others at his table were shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.

"Anyway as I was saying I'm Draco and this is Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, and Theodore Nott." As Draco introduced each kid they gave Harry a little wave.

"Hey." Harry was going to say more when the hall fell silent.

Dumbledore stood up and said four strange words that no one seemed to understand. As soon as the headmaster sat back down food sprang up onto the table. Harry simply gaped at the shear amount of food that popped up all over the table. He glanced around and saw everyone start to pile their plates high. He hesitantly started to pick from some of the bowls and platters to add to his own.

He ate all he could, which wasn't very much, and then grabbed two extra rolls from the breadbasket. Looking around the table to see if anyway was watching he slipped them into his robe pocket.

The rest of the meal passed by quickly. Harry found himself being included in an argument debating quidditch statistics. He didn't know much about the sport except the little he had read but it was fun to see Draco and Theo go at it as if it was the most important thing in the world.


As Harry followed after his prefect he was blown away by the grandness of the castle. All of the hallways had such high ceilings and everything that was still in the muggle world was now animated. The portraits all chatted as they passed by and even the suits of armor seemed to be nudging each other and giggling. Following the stairs down to the dungeons his heart skipped a beat. If they were down below the first floor would there be any windows or would it be like he was stuck inside his cupboard all over again?

Upon entering the Slytherin common room he realized how wrong he had been to even think anything about Hogwarts could remind him of his cupboard. The common room didn't have any windows, but it was warm and inviting. There were couches and large comfortable looking chairs scattered throughout. Tiny wooden tables were pulled close to the other furniture for easy access. The best part of the entire room was the giant fireplace complete with a roaring fire.

"First Years should go sit on the couch by the fire and wait for Professor Snape." The perfect gestured for them to go when no one moved.

"Who's Professor Snape?" Harry whispered.

"He's our head of house and the potions professor. He was the one sitting next to the man with the turban. Didn't you see him?" Draco asked.

Harry shook his head. He hadn't looked up to the head table even once. Looking adults in the eye never ended well in Harry's experience and he hadn't wanted to offend anyone on his first day.

"What is he coming to talk to us about?"

Draco shrugged, "Hell if I know."

The first years shuffled over to the couches and Harry began to feel nervous. He wasn't the only one. Theodore Nott also seemed to be having trouble sitting still. Harry watched as the boy's knee kept bobbing up and down.

"Ah, good to see you can all follow instructions."

Harry and the others all jumped as a voice startled them from behind. Harry took in a quick breath when he saw who he could only presume to be Professor Snape. The man stood tall and was dressed in black robes. Long hair hung limply around his face and he certainly didn't seem like a particularly nice person. Harry scooted further back into the couch and dropped his gaze to his lap.

"I am Professor Snape and I want to welcome you all to Slytherin. Now you must understand that being in Slytherin is different from being in any other house. The people who sit with you today will truly be your family. You will look past any differences you have and learn to depend on them. I will not lie to you, as slytherins you will face hardships. Other houses look down on us and believe that just because we are sorted into a certain house we must be inherently evil. That is why I stress that it is essential that you learn to trust each other. Most of the children who are sorted into this house face difficulties that no other students will ever have to face. I want you all to know that I will always have your best interests at heart and am available if you are having any problems. Now you will be going to the infirmary to do a quick checkup before retiring for bed and this is not up for negotiation. If you ever are struggling with anything at all you can go to any of the upper years or you can approach me when I am here or in my office. Come now, we will go by floo."

Harry could feel his entire body shaking. A checkup? No way could he do that. His uncle had given him one hell of a going away present and he would be damned to open up that can of worms. He had been down this path before and he wasn't about to try it again. He had told his teacher once, Mrs. Lavoie, and believed, like an idiot, that things were going to get better. Oh how wrong he had been. It hadn't taken long to learn that what happened in the Dursley household stayed there.

The others also seemed hesitant but Harry didn't pay them any mind. What was he going to do? He couldn't keep his hands from trembling and wasn't sure he could even walk. Examining his professor who stood with his arms crossed, it was obvious that that the man was not to be argued with.

Harry remained on the couch, even after everyone else got up and moved towards the fireplace. He honestly hadn't thought this was would be what was taking place on his first night at Hogwarts.

"Mr. Potter?" Snape drawled.

Harry gulped and stood, still not meeting the professor's eye.

That's when he noticed that one of the girls, Pansy Parkinson, actually stepped into the fireplace as the fire flared green.

"Its alright Harry, its just the floo." Draco reassured him, "You just throw in the floo powder and say ‘Hogwarts infirmary'."

Harry nodded, taking two deep breaths. He had to calm down if he was going to get through this checkup. He had been examined before and things had been fine, all he needed were the right answers. Taking one more deep breath he finally settled down enough to stand still.

When it was Harry's turn to go a hand landed on his should and he flinched.

"Sir?"

"Do you know how to use the floo Mr. Potter?" Snape asked.

"Yes, sir." Harry replied before throwing in the powder and yelling, "Hogwarts infirmary!"