Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Mrs. Wandell

 

The following morning came all too soon as the sun peeked through the curtains and woke the three occupants inside the house from their sleep.

Taking a quick shower, Severus decided some more formal clothes, and found a pair of his slacks and grey button up shirt. Pulling his wet hair back into a loose pony tail he ventured into the boys bedroom to see if they were awake. 

Finding Draco on Harry's bed, he saw Draco was full awake while Harry was sitting up half asleep, leaning against Draco as his new found friend told him the tale of the time him and Sev had been to Ireland on holiday. 

"Good morning boys" Severus said softly as he came in. "Did you both sleep well?" He questioned and sat down on the bed. "Yes daddy, we did. Harry woke up once though and was scared and tripped over a toy when he got out of the bed to try and found you and woke me, but I managed to get him into bed again and too sleep" Draco said, obviously quite proud of himself. 

"Thank you Draco, that was very nice of you" Sev said, also quite proud of his son for being able to settle the younger boy down. 

"How about some breakfast then Gentleman?" Severus asked and stood up from the bed. Draco shoot up and raced downstairs while complaining about how he was starving. Harry had fallen down against the bed as he'd been leaning against Draco and his eyes had shot open before starting to close again. "Come on, little Harry, it's time for breakfast" Sev said and took the boy in his arms. 

"Sevus, m'sorry I didn't have breakfast ready for you" Harry murmured tiredly and rubbed his eyes. "Hush child, I'd never expect you to rise early to get breakfast ready for me" 

Entering the kitchen he placed Harry down on the chair next to Draco and left them to chat as he quickly got some egg and bacon ready for them all. "Today we're going to be visited by some people from the ministry so it's important that we behave ourselves okay? And the man or the woman will most likely like to ask us all some questions and it's very important that we tell the truth no matter what" Sev said and put plates with food in front of the boys. Putting on a brave smile for the boys, he sat down telling them to eat up. 

It wasn't until 12pm the sound of the door bell rang through the house. Harry and Draco stopped playing as Severus got up to answer but told them it was alright to stay. "Mr. Snape I presume?" A woman in her late 50's said and peeked up at Severus from behind her glasses. "Yes, that would be correct" He said. "I'm Mrs. Wandell, I work for the child protective services department at the ministry, I believe you are expecting me" Mrs. Wandell said while looking him over. "Yes. Do come in" Stepping aside he offered to take her coat. 

"Draco and Harry are playing in the living room, may I offer you a cup of tea Mrs. Wandell?" Severus asked politely as they walked over to the boys. "No, that's quite alright Mr. Snape. Hello there Harry, I'm Mrs. Wandell. Do you think we could talk for a moment?" She asked and sat down on the sofa and patted the seat next to herself. 

Looking from Severus to Draco and then finally to Mrs. Wandell, Harry nodded and walked over. "Would you like to be alone?" Severus asked. "Ahh, yes please Mr. Snape. It would be best this way" Nodding his understanding, he held his hand out for Draco who was not happy with leaving Harry alone. 

Smiling, Mrs. Wandell looked at Harry.  "I'd like for you to tell me about your relatives Harry, is that alright?" Harry nodded even though he didn't want to. "Aunt Petunia is really strict and she gets mad if I break the rules and stuff. So does Uncle Vernon. Dudley always pushes me over and hits me" Harry whispered. Mrs. Wandell nodded. "What rules did they have?"

Outside, Severus sat quietly in one of the chairs on their patio and watched Draco play on his swing set. "Good afternoon Severus" He heard a voice from the side of the house and turned his head to see his lawyer and friend walking up. "Ian, I'm glad you could come on such short notice" Severus said and shook hands. "No problem, you are my favourite client after all" Chuckling, Severus gestured for Ian to sit. 

"So you'd like to get guardianship? Of a child that's been abused in his previous home?" Ian asked and started pulling out several papers. "Yes, first guardianship, then I'd like to adopt him as I did with Draco" Nodding Ian looked up from his papers. "How do you know the child?" He asked. "I didn't know Harry personally, but I was best friends with the parents before they were murdered, which was about four years ago" 

"Oh I see, where did the child live after this?" "He lived with his muggle relatives. His uncle, aunt and cousin" Making several notes Ian continued asking questions for some time until he put his pen down and looked at Severus. 

"Considering who he is this might not be as easy as you'd like it to be Severus" He said and noted the hard look on Sev's face. "I know, I'm sure the ministry will have a field day with this" He said sadly. "But we want him here, and he wants to be here so it will work out" 

"I've sent in all the official forms, and as I said earlier I drop in personally to hand in a copy of the forms just to get it on record" Ian packed his case before picking up the file with the files. "He'd be lucky to have you as his dad, and Draco as his brother Severus" Ian said with a smile. He was about to continue when Mrs. Wandell came out with Harry. "I'd like to speak with you Mr. Snape" She said and eyed Ian. "Yes, of course. Mrs. Wandell this is Ian Brown, my attorney" He said while standing. 

Shaking hands, Mrs. Wandell spoke. "It's nice to meet you Mr. Brown" "Likewise" Ian greeted her. "Would it be alright if he stayed during our talk Mrs. Wandell?" Severus asked. Giving her consent they all sat down.

After Severus had told Mrs. Wandell about how he had discovered Harry's abuse, they briefly talked about how Severus wanted guardianship over Harry. Draco and Harry walked over and complained that they were thirsty from all their running around and playing. Ian offered to go fetch two bottle of water from the kitchen. "I think that is all I need to know for this time Mr. Snape" Mrs. Wandell said and stood. 

"Rest assured Mr. Snape, that an investigation will be started, evidence collected and people put to justice. Your request for guardianship will be processed within a timely manner. Since Mr. Potter is officially in the ministries custody, I have no choice but to take Mr. Potter with me" Mrs. Wandell said and stood. 

Feeling his heart drop to the ground, the outraged cry from Draco and the tiny soft whimper from Harry didn't help. Crouching down, Severus put his hands on Harry's shoulders. "I will get you back Harry. Don't give up hope. I will get you back" Sev said determined and hugged Harry close, squeezing his eyes shut as he felt the young boy shake against him as he cried. "You promise?" Harry asked quietly. "I promise" Severus said deadly serious while looking Harry into his eyes. "I promise"    

Chapter End Notes:
So what do you think?!