Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Present and the Past

Stroking Draco's hair, Severus glanced over at the empty bed by the corner. Draco had fallen asleep some time ago after he'd ended up crying himself to sleep. No matter how much comfort Severus offered, it just wasn't enough. It didn't help that he too was also very upset. Harry had been taken by the ministry eight hours ago, but it felt like a hundred years and more since.

Pulling up the blankets, Sev tucked Draco in gently before finally exciting the room. Leaving the door open with just a crack, he wandered downstairs where he found Ian waiting for him in the living room. Getting the cognac bottle out he poured himself a little glass before taking a sip.

"You want some?" He asked Ian. "Sure, just a little one though" Ian replied.

Sitting down in the chair opposite from Ian, he glanced up at him before looking down in his glass.

"We've got a strong case Severus. Don't give up on him" Ian said gently and watched the other man carefully. Sighing, Sev put the glass on the table. "I know. I just, I don't know. I miss him already" He snorted.

"Look, the fact that she took Harry with her is strictly protocol. She's right, he's been placed under the ministries custody until they can convict the Dursley's and when that happens they'll most likely deal with your request and interest in getting Harry back here"

"I know" Sighed Severus and took another sip before putting down the glass. "Sorry for keeping you here so long. I'm sure Linda will be worried" Sev said and looked at his old friend. Ian shrugged.

"It's no problem Severus, however I think I'll go home now. Take care of yourself Sev. I'll see you in a few days or so" Ian patted Severus on the shoulders as he walked past him. Watching him go, Sev stood and walked over to the bookshelf and retrieved one of his photo albums before going upstairs to his room.

Making himself comfortable against his headboard, he opened the album and glanced over the photos. It'd been a long time since he'd looked at these photos. Or even really though about James and Lily all that much lately. And now he felt a small pang of guilt as he realised it. Maybe if had been thinking about his friends more often he would have sought out Harry and maybe rescued the boy from his horrid ‘home' sooner.

Sighing, Sev flipped the page and came to a picture of just him and James. Staring at James's face as he smiled and turned to Severus to tell him something. That had been the day Lily had revealed that she knew James and him had been fooling around. Of course Severus loved James, but he'd known than just as he knew now that if they'd had the chance, it would never have been anything more between them.

He felt James fingers gently turning his face towards him. A pair of gentle lips pressed against his own. "You should go James" Severus whispered and forced himself to turn his head away. "Come on" James whispered back and gently turned Severus's head towards him again. Leaning in he placed kisses along Sev's neck as he loosened up Severus's tie and pushed aside his shirt.

"No James" Sev said agitated and pushed away from James so he could stand up.

"You know we can't go on like this" Severus said as made sure his tie was done properly. Glancing back at James who was sitting in the chair by the fire place he sighed as the other boy seemed to ignore his words. "You like Lily James whether you like it or not. And she's my friend and I won't do that to her" Severus said and picked up his bag.

"I won't be coming to see you again. Not like this. I'm pretty sure she could be the one for you James" Severus did not at all like how hurt he was by the fact that James didn't protest as he walked to the door and it took all will power he had not to run back.

After that night James and Lily had finally gotten together as a couple. James seemingly forgot about Severus and him and what they had shared. Whatever it was that they shared. Since then Severus had moved on, he'd dated. Even came very close to engagement once. But by then the Dark Lord had too tight of a grip on him and he'd dumped her. And he'd never seen her again.

Closing the album he decided he'd had enough of reminiscing for the night and for quite some time a head and put it away. Looking at the clock he realised that Harry had ‘only' been gone for about 10 hours. Turning of the lights he settled against his pillows, pulled his duvet close and prepared himself for a long night.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
So sorry for the long wait!