Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 11 -- Harry

Harry took a shaky breath and nervously brushed imaginary lint off his robes in a futile attempt to compose himself as Snape raised his hand to knock on the Headmaster’s door. His nervous giggling down at the gargoyle had earned him a slight reprimand, and he had only just been able to stave off hysterical laughter by biting his palm. The whole situation was like a dream—a bad one; time had seemed to slow down the instant that Snape had announced they were going to see the Headmaster—every hallway had seemed longer, and it had become harder and harder to keep his breathing steady as his emotions rollercoaster-ed. As they’d gotten closer to the gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster’s office, he grew more certain that he was going to get expelled; it was like one of his nightmares—he couldn’t even remember what he had done wrong that was an expellable offense… or any wrong at all that the Headmaster and Teachers had known about. He’d hurried to follow the Potion Master’s long strides, attempting to hide his dread at the idea of being thrown back to his relatives’ not-so-tender mercies.

He raised his hand to his mouth once more, as hysteria threatened and bit into his palm again. He settled a bit at the answering pain. The pain was uncomfortable but at least it was one thing he was in control of. His breathing evened out and his rapid heartbeat slowed a bit and he was able to enter the office with a semblance of calm when the headmaster called for them to come in.

Alright, this is it. I wonder if they’ll kick me out tonight or let me stay over till morning. The train won’t be leaving till 11 o’clock..

Harry slid his hand into his pocket and grasped his wand as he glanced at the elderly wizard who sat behind the ornate desk, seeking a clue as to why he was here instead of down in the dungeons scrubbing cauldrons or dissecting some slimy and disgusting potions ingredients. The man didn’t look angry in the least.

“I assume that Professor Snape hasn’t told you why you are here, has he, Harry?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry kept his mouth shut and shook his head, reluctant to speak aloud.

There’s no way I’m going to say anything until I know what’s going on.

“And I am correct in assuming that you have managed to convince yourself you are going to get expelled, right, my boy?”

Harry nodded again but kept silent. He cast a glance towards his teacher but the man’s stance and expression told him nothing.

Dumbledore smiled widely, his blue eyes twinkling and gestured at the two chairs placed in front of his desk indicating that Harry and Snape were to sit down. Once they were settled he continued. “I can assure you, my dear boy, that is not at all the reason. Lemon drop?”

Harry blinked, his eyes suddenly as wide as an owl’s, and found himself overwhelmed by relief. He wasn’t going to get expelled!

Thank, Merlin! I won’t have to worry about the Dursleys until the end of the year..

He sighed with relief and took the offered lemon drop.

“Then why, Headmaster?” Harry asked, remembering at the last second to add the honorific, knowing he’d receive get that look he hated from Snape if he called Dumbledore by anything but his title. He’d always hated that scathing look Snape gave him; it hurt for some reason.

Dumbledore met Harry’s confused eyes and his expression grew serious.

“You are here to be re-Sorted.”

WHAT!?No! There’s no friggin’ way!

His utter shock must have obvious but Dumbledore Acio-ed the Sorting Hat from its shelf and went on with his explanation.

“It has come to my attention, Harry, that you no longer reside in the Gryffindor dormitories. Am I correct?”

Yes. Oh, no! What am I going to do?

“I also understand that you no longer feel at home there.”

Well, that’s true but I’m still a Gryffindor!

“If Gryffindor is where you really belong, you shall stay there, but if not… well that’s the whole point of a re-Sorting.” Dumbledore’s smile never left his face as he spoke His words were spoken softly, as if he were speaking to a frightened or injured child.

Why should I be surprised he’s acting like I’m going to bolt at any minute? It’s got to be obvious I’m about ready to bolt.

As Dumbledore placed the Sorting Hat on Harry’s head he spoke again. “If you stay in Gryffindor, McGonagall requires that you return to your proper dormitory and common room. If you are Sorted into any other House, it’s Head will decide whether you may stay in your keep or not.”

Harry nodded automatically, but to be honest, he was concentrating on what the Hat was muttering instead of the Headmaster or the Potions Master.

‘Mmm-hmm. Why hello again, Mr. Potter. I understand that things haven’t been going too well for you in the House of the Lion, How unfortunate, how sad indeed, that the House you chose for yourself didn’t work out.’ The Hat’s tone seemed extremely mocking to Harry and he fought the inclination to pull it off his head and trample it underfoot. ‘I assure you I will do my job correctly and promise that you will be put where you truly belong. I’m certain that you will be welcomed by your House-mates, no worries about that since you are not making the decision this time!’

The Hat mumbled to itself periodically as it Sorted through Harry’s mind, taking its time. While Harry was consumed with worry about what the Hat would announce, Snape remained seated next to him, his blank expression belying his tension and concern. Dumbledore stood still in front of the seated boy, his hand extended as if to snatch the Hat from Harry’s head, unable to hide his own worry about the re-Sorting’s outcome. Though distracted, Harry could see the Headmaster and wondered at the man’s expression

‘Well of course he is worried, Mr. Potter. He wants you back in the Lion’s Den, where he is able to keep an eye on your every move.’

Harry blinked in surprise as the Hat returned to its musing. Was that why Dumbledore always seems to know what I’m doing?

The Hat chuckled cynically ‘Yes. The Head of the Lions allowed him to set his own special wards around the House. I believe she’s the only Head that let him do so...”

Harry caught himself as he began to twist his face into a scowl that looked remarkably like Professor Snape’s. His first reaction was anger; he hated being spied upon! It was immediately followed by a sick horror. That meant that Dumbledore knew everything--every one of Harry’s escapades, every “adventure”, and every time he snuck from the common room to get away from the other Lions.

That’s… that’s… despicable.

‘He has a tendency to meddle, but he really did do it for the safety of his old House, not just to keep an eye on you. Slytherins tend to wander, too, and if one of them met up with a Gryffindor and there were no teachers around to mitigate things, one of them might not make back to their dormitory.’

Doesn’t Snape keep them from wandering?

‘Yes, he generally does, Mr. Potter.. But he also understands the need to wander at night.”

Really?

‘Yes.’ Suddenly, the Hat’s mental voice took on a tone that made Harry think it must be smiling and opened the crease that formed its mouth.

“Why, I believe the young Lion has turned into a Snake. So Slytherin it is, Headmaster!”

Dumbledore sighed and lifted it from Harry’s head. Harry couldn’t help but meet his eyes, to discover that they had lost their twinkle. The Headmaster looked sad and resigned as he turn to look at the Head of Slytherin House.

“Very well. Severus, I suppose you ought to take Harry to gather his things since he’s one of your Snakes now.” Dumbledore’s smile was feeble and even to Harry seemed fake and forced.

“Of course, Headmaster.” Snape stood, his expression unchanged and looked and turning to Harry, gestured towards the door. “Come, Mr. Potter, I believe you still have some things to gather from your old House?”

Harry gulped, the last thing he wanted to do was go there now.

Oh, Merlin. They’re all going to kill me!

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks once again to dancingkatz!