Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Minerva’s eyebrows where drawn together in concentration. Her mouth was stern and her eyes were glazed as she puzzled through the possibilities of this new revelation.

 

“Will that work?” Severus’ voice was soft and laced with pain.

 

“Why wouldn’t it?” Lucius crossed back over to the bed and placed a comforting hand on Severus’ shoulder. He knew how much Lily’s death had damaged the younger man. He knew the pain that he carried, a pain he rarely showed.

 

“I asked Voldemort to give Lily a choice… a chance to live. She didn’t have to die that night. Her life could have been spared.” Severus’ voice trailed off as he fixed his eyes back on Harry, who lay curled up in his arms fast asleep.

 

Minerva spoke as she joined them.

 

“We don’t know what happened that night. No one was there except Harry and he doesn’t remember… but I know this. Sacrifice is not based on chance to live or stand aside… it is based on the belief that what you are giving up, for James’ that his death… his life… were worth less than that of his wife and child. I saw the house… I know that James’ fought for them with every breath in his body, but I know, as sure as you do, that James’ knew he would die and that he wasn’t angry about his coming death. Instead, I know that he would have wished there was more he could do for his family. Sacrifice is born of a loving heart. James loved his family.” Minerva ran a shaky hand through Harry’s hair.

 

Severus’ was pulled from his pain by the sight of a single silver tear running down her cheek.

 

“I know that James and you were never friends. I know that he was wrong to bully you in school and we were wrong to overlook it… but I know he loved Lily. They were like my own children… I never imagined that they would leave this world before me. Then to be deprived of seeing their child for years… my heart feels like it might burst. I don’t know what happened that night… but I know that I won’t let Harry suffer ever again.” Minerva ignored the tear as it rolled down her face and neck before being absorbed into the high collar of her robes. In front of him, Severus saw a transformation occur, from grieving mother to the teacher he knew so well from his youth. She turned and faced Lucius.

 

“How long will it take you to erect the Blood Wards?” Her voice was soft but steely.

 

“A day. I will call in the best warders I can get. By tomorrow evening the Mansion will be on full lock down.” Minerva could see Lucius mind racing behind his quicksilver eyes.

 

“In the mean time, Harry cannot stay here. Dumbledore has tracking spells on the boy, he knows his every movement. I’m surprised that he hasn’t come down here to reclaim the child yet.” Minerva paced the length in front of the bed as she thought.

 

“I know a place where he can go until tomorrow.” She didn’t bother to explain as she walked toward the fireplace. She leaned down and floo-ed one Filius Flitwick. Lucius waited until she’d called Flitwick though the floo, then speaking in a cutting tone.

 

“Surely this is not your plan. I am aware that Professor Flitwick was a dueling champion in his youth but any place that he would take the boy Dumbledore would surely know about. We cannot risk it.” Severus looked at Lucius in shock. Here was the cold blooded Pure Blood he’d known for years, defending Harry as he were part of the Malfoy family, it may not have seemed like it to the others in the room, but Severus knew it was concern that made Lucius turn cold.

 

“Such confidence in me Mr. Malfoy.” Filius squeaked as he stepped into the room.  He cast a quick charm on his robes, righting them, as he moved toward the group.

 

“Now, what can I help you with Minerva?” He spoke to Minerva but his eyes where locked on Harry sleeping beside Severus.

 

“I need you to remove the tracking spells that Dumbledore has placed in Harry Potter.” Minerva had never been one to beat around the bush, but even Severus’ was surprised at her bluntness.

 

Before anything could be questioned or resolved Poppy, who had been silent for sometime, spoke.

 

“I need to go back to Hogwarts and get potions for my patient. Don’t send him on his way until I get back.” Poppy withdrew from her place beside the bed and floo-ed back to the school.

 

“Explain yourself, please.” Filius Flitwick was the kind of man who viewed disaster with a calm eye it came from being the youngest of four, who grew up with his twenty cousins, and from his years a dueling champion. So when Minerva made such a request, the only real reaction he gave was a single raise eyebrow.

 

“We are removing Harry from his Guardians. Evidence has been submitted tonight that young Harry has been not only kept ignorant of his heritage and parents… but been neglected and abused by his Aunt and Uncle. We are going to move him into Malfoy Manner… but we will need one day to get everything situated.  I have a plan on where to send him, but all of our efforts could be spoiled if Dumbledore found him. I know I could remove them… but Albus would surely notice.” Minerva eyed Filius as he eyed Harry.

 

“I will do as you ask. If not for James and Lily than for Harry himself, but I want to meet him.” Filius had adored Lily, not that there were many who didn’t, but Lily had been his star student and a good woman. James… had been a brat for most of his Hogwarts years… but Filius could appreciate a good joke and the Marauder’s spell work was always top of the line. He needed to know the measure of Harry, to know that his students lived on in the boy. It was Minerva’s turn to raise an eyebrow.

 

“I know that he is exhausted and I’m not saying tonight, but before he goes to Hogwarts I want to meet him, sit down and talk to him about his parents… and I want to give him their wands. I took them from Godric’s Hallow and have kept them safe for him all these years.” Minerva looked like she might cry again, but Filius pat her on her hand and began to chew the edges of his moustache as he pondered his challenge.

 

“A day, you said?” Lucius nodded.

 

“Alright. It’ll be done.” Filius filled with joy. A challenge, something he hadn’t had since he’d retired from dueling. He nodded to the others around the room, before stepping back through the Floo to Hogwarts. Still muttering to himself and nodding occasionally as his thoughts discovered a pleasing avenue to accomplish his goal.

 

“You still haven’t told us where boy will go in the interim?” Lucius made no attempt to disguise his curiosity.

 

“Simple enough… he will go to the Black Family home.  I know that Walburga Black reinstated Sirius back into the family after Regulus died and he betrayed the Potters. Normally we would need him to let us in… but the wards would have passed to the next Black as he is in Azkaban, which would have been Bellatrix, but since she is also in Azkaban and Andromeda was disowned… that leaves…” Minerva looked up at Lucius.

 

“My wife.” Minerva nodded and motioned Lucius to the floo. However, before he could call, a knock resounded through the room.

 

No one spoke or moved. Severus untangled himself from Harry and moved to the door. As before he drew his wand before opening it. He used his body to block the view of the room.

 

There before him stood Albus Dumbledore. Severus felt his blood freeze in his veins.

 

“What brings you here tonight Headmaster?” His voice was silky smooth with just the right amount of snark to throw off any suspicions.

 

“Ahh, Severus, my boy. A friend mentioned that you were here to night. It was rather difficult to find you as Rosmerta was busy and unable to speak to me, but I was fortunate that the same friend mentioned seeing you, also saw you head up this hallway. I have need of you assistance. Perhaps we could discuss this inside?” The Headmaster’s tone was curious.

 

 “Headmaster… as much as I am grieved to disappoint you, but I have found company for the night and I’m sure she would be rather offended if I invited you in for some conversation and a Fire Whiskey.  Please forgive the request, but I would entreat you for the night off, so to speak.” Severus felt the tension in the room; all of their plans could be for naught if this didn’t go his way.

 

“Severus, I really must insist. It’s about Harry Potter.” Dumbledore leaned in as he spoke and Severus strengthened his Occlumency shields, things could go wrong very quickly.

 

“Please, Headmaster. I am rather indisposed at the moment and would rather skip your stirring speech about the Potter spawn. I’m sure his doting family will have him fattened up and dressed in silk, ready for seven years of making my life hell.” Severus curled up the corner of his mouth in mock disgust as he spoke. His palm was sweaty on the inside of the door.

 

“My Boy, I wish you’d give Harry a chance.” Dumbledore sighed but relented. He nodded his goodbye and moved away from the door.

Severus knew that Dumbledore wasn’t satisfied by his answers… for the moment however they had hopefully bought enough time to move Harry out of the Three Broomsticks. Severus closed the door and pressed his forehead against the aged wood.

 

“We need to hurry.” His voice was direct at the door but the others in the room heard him.

 

“I agree Severus.” Severus whipped around, there, standing in the center of the room was Narcissa Malfoy… she must came come in while he spoke to the Headmaster.

He looked at Lucius.

 

“Silencing spells are my specialty.” Had Lucius Malfoy been anyone else he would have smirked… had Narcissa Malfoy been anyone else she would have blushed and smacked him… but as it was neither responded to the implication.

Minerva looked unmoved.

 

“We have already discussed it. Madame Malfoy will take Harry to the Black Estate in London. After that we will wait for word from Filius and Mr. Malfoy before we move Harry to Malfoy Manner.” Minerva voiced the plan aloud… it was a reassuring reminder that the next couple of days would have them all on edge.

 

 

“We need the potions from Poppy before we leave.” Severus told the room as everyone seemed to ready themselves for action.

“My son will be accompanying us. He will be coming through the Floo shortly. I know that this must be kept a secret, but it will do Harry good to be around another child.” Minerva looked hesitant but she knew Narcissa was firmly set on this course of action.

 

“He will be joining us at the Black Estate when he wakes.”  Narcissa glanced at the small magical clock perched precariously on the hearth, everyone glanced there as well.  It was nearing dawn.  Minerva considered moving Harry now… but they had to wait for Poppy for just a moment longer.

 

“In the meantime…”  She turned from the group and moved toward the bed where Harry slept, his eyebrows were drawn together and his body was curled up on itself.

 

Narcissa sat carefully on the edge of the bed and reached out a pale hand toward the boy.  She ran her fingers through his tangled jet colored hair and soothed his furrowed brow with a gentle caress.  Her eyes didn’t leave his face.  Lucius moved closer and placed his hand on her shoulder.  There was no need for either of them to speak.  The words hung between them, unspoken, but not un-heard. They didn’t moved or break the silence of their vigil until Poppy floo-ed into the room.  Her face was tight with rage.

 

“Albus has decided that something is going on.  He is camped out in the infirmary waiting for Hagrid to return with Harry.  He won’t tell me anything but that.  I think he knows that something is going on… he’s watching me very closely.”  She handed a bag pull of potions to Severus.  “I have to get back.  I told him that I needed to run an errand.  I have to get back before he gets suspicious.  Severus I assume you know how to administer all of those,” Severus glanced in the bag and then at Poppy with a ‘you really felt the need to ask that’ scowling expression, “Well then…  I’ll be on my way.  Before I go, Filius asked me to let you know that the book you wished to move is checked out of the Library and should be back in by tomorrow morning.”  Poppy turned and stormed back through the fireplace.  Minerva was the first to speak.

 

“Well…  It seems that Filius has already set his plan into motion.  The tracking spells should be removed by morning.  Let’s get Harry to the Black Estate… it’s late and we’re all going to be feeling these hours when we wake.”  Minerva stood and shook hands with everyone in the room.  She leaned toward Harry and let her hand rest on his for a moment.

 

“I’ll floo Severus tomorrow. He’ll be our relay point for information.” She left the room in a quick swish of robes and a flash of green fire.

 

“I’ll accompany you to your family’s home.”  Severus said as he lifted a groggy Harry into his arms.

 

“I’ll be heading back to the mansion.  I’ve a couple more hours of work before I can rest.  I’ll need to reach out to several contacts to ensure that everything goes according to plan… I’ll also have the house elves to set up a room for Harry near Draco’s.”  Lucius rubbed his fingertips across his chin… his face tight in concentration.  He absent mindedly placed a chaste kiss on Narcissa’s cheek and disappeared with a soft pop.

 

“He hasn’t been this excited since he found out about the Chamber of Secrets while at Hogwarts.  Remember how he plan to search the whole castle and find it… so he dug into the history of the school looking for more information.”  Narcissa had a maudlin smile on her face. She stood beside Severus and placed a hand tightly on his arm. She smiled briefly before she apparated the three of them away.  Downstairs none of the patrons were aware of the events of the last few hours.  They were slowly drowning themselves in Butter beer and Fire Whiskey… floating through the world oblivious.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Miles away in the outskirts of London three people appeared in front of a series of apartments that had seen better days.   Narcissa leaned close to Severus and whispered the address in his ear.  Slowly the walls of Number Eleven and Number Thirteen spread apart and from the space created slid, Number Twelve.  The home had belonged to the Black family for nearly two hundred years.  The flats around it had been renovated… but this one had stayed the same.  It’s dark brick work and dropping windows giving the home the look of an aged woman who viewed the world with an unflappable confidence.

 

Narcissa had hated Number 12 as a child.  It was the home of her cousins Sirius and Regulus… but more importantly it had been the home of her crazy Aunt Walburga. Narcissa could understand bringing Harry here… after all Aunt Walburga’s paranoia mixed with that of several other Black generations had made this one of the safest places in all of England… but she certainly didn’t relies returning to a home that I sat empty for some seven years.

 

The wards shifted around them as they moved toward the door.  Narcissa could feel them sliding over her skin like water.  She drew her wand over the skin of her hand, cutting as she went, then ran her bleeding palm across the wood of the door.  It soaked into the door as unused locks and chains began to open.

 

Number Twelve looked almost exactly as she remembered it, except the dust and cobwebs had never been allowed to flourish like this under Walburga’s firm hand. She curled her lip in disgust.

 

“Kreacher!”  Her voice was sharp.  In the blink of an eye, the sad form of the Black house elf stood before them.  Narcissa appraised him with a keen eye.

 

“Kreacher, three rooms need to be prepared and the house cleaned.  Prepare the rooms now, but by morning I want this house as it should be.” Kreacher came to life under her stern tone.

 

“Yes, Mistress.”  He popped away and Narcissa allowed Severus to enter the house. His own face twisted up in disgust as he glanced around at the home.

 

“What was Minerva thinking sending the boy here?  It’s in shambles.”  It was clear to Severus that Minerva McGonagall had lost her mind.

 

“There is one very important reason.”  Narcissa closed the door and whispered a Latin word.  Severus felt the wards close in around them.  He could feel the power of generations of Black magic pouring over his skin sealing them in.

 

“Grimmauld Place is as well protected as Hogwarts.  I would say better even, for one reason, my family has never be afraid of using dark magic and wards to secure their home.  This is the safest place Harry can be right now.”  She motioned Severus toward the stairs and led the way up toward the first floor.  Kreacher appeared before them at the first landing.

 

“Rooms are ready Mistress.  Kreacher will be showing you.”  Severus and Narcissa followed him up to their rooms.  Severus settled Harry into his bed for the night and then sought his own.  His body ached from the hours he’d kept… and he was grateful for the clean cotton sheets as he drifted into a deep sleep.

 

Narcissa, who had a child of her own, slept with a careful ear toward the sound of crying, she had barely been sleeping for an hour when whimpers from Harry’s room woke her.  She crossed the hall and entered his room quietly.  Harry sat in his bed, his shoulders shaking, his knees drawn to his chest, with tears rolling down his pale cheeks.  He didn’t look up when she entered.  He was too caught in the nightmare with the fearful visages of his past swirling around him.  Narcissa felt a deep affection for this boy, his loss had saved her family, and his pain had made her life better.  She wanted moved toward the bed.

 

“Harry?”  Her voice was sweet and cut through the harsh tones that had so easily ensnared the boy.

 

“I’m sorry I woke you up, Miss.  I’ll be quieter.”  He rested his head against his knees.

 

“Oh Harry.”  Narcissa sat next to him on the bed and placed an arm around his thin shoulders.  Harry flinched and tensed.  Narcissa didn’t say a word, she drew Harry closer to her and began to hum a lullaby that Bellatrix had sung to her as a child.

He eyes slowly closed and his muscles loosened. He drifted off to sleep in the comfort of her presence.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Harry woke the next morning and with a growing belly followed his nose to the kitchen of Grimmauld Place.  He could see the woman from last night standing at the stove.  A long worn table lay between her and the door at the table Harry could see  small blonde haired boy with a large plate of food.  He was sure he was going to be in trouble for sleeping so late, but the woman motioned for him to sit.  A place setting had been set up right next to the blonde boy.  Harry didn’t look up or speak, he felt the tension in his muscles… he was afraid and unsure.

 

Harry was so caught in his fears that he was startled when a pale hand reached over and deposited a spoonful of eggs on his plate.

 

“Eat up.  Mother rarely cooks, but when she does it is always quite delicious.”  Harry looked from the eggs on his plate to the boy and back again but said nothing.

 

“Draco, perhaps Harry would like something else.”  Narcissa spoke from her place by the stove.

 

“Of course, Mother.”  Draco began with to question Harry with fervor about what he like as he continued to pile different foods on his plate.  Harry didn’t speak.

 

“What about this?”  French Toast was laid on his plate.

 

“No?  What about this?”  Now, Toast.

 

“This?”  And bacon.

 

“What about this?”  And sausage.

 

On and on it went until Harry’s plate was stacked high with food and Narcissa was struggling to hold back her laughter.