Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay, but my husband just returned from a deployment so I have been distracted.
Chapter 5

Chapter 4: Detention

Much to the delight of the entire student body, Potions class was cancelled for the rest of Friday. The main reason being that Severus did not think he could manage to compose himself enough to face the little blighters. His encounter with Lily’s spectre had thrown him entirely off base. The very fact she could willfully manipulate the physical environment in addition to making herself visible unnerved him.  ‘Would that make her a ghost such as Sir Nicholas or more of a poltergeist akin to Peeves? Does the distinction really matter?’ Taking inventory of what he knew, Severus ruminated; ‘I know she can make herself heard and seen. Communicating seems to be difficult for her, though. When angered, she could make major changes to the physical environment.’ He smirked when he thought that not even death could tame Lily’s temper. Thinking on Lily’s temper, Severus could not help but reflect on the product of said temper. Much to Severus’ consternation, no amount of spells, whether reparo or a wide range of counter-curses, could repair his desk. Not only that, but the ink had stained everything on the desk and multiple attempts at scougify had not changed the intensity of the stain in the slightest. It was while he was staring at and contemplating his desk that the Headmaster decided to pay a visit.

“Ah Severus, are you feeling alright, my boy?”

“Of course I am Albus, what would possess you to ask such a question?”

Albus made a show of pondering the question. “Hmm, your classes were cancelled today after a class of first years ran from your room, no less than three of them in tears. While having first years leave your room in tears would be nothing new, the fact that you let them all leave class early is quite odd.”

Scowling, Severus replied, “I have a headache. Due to the amount of pain I am experiencing, I cannot safely oversee idiot children handling volatile chemicals.”

“I see. Being that you are the one who brew s the headache remedy for the infirmary, it must be a very terrible headache indeed since even you are not skilled enough to relieve it” Albus stated wryly.

Severus gritted his teeth, “Indeed”.

“I also can’t help but notice that you will be requiring a new inkwell for your red ink; and your desk appears to be split in half.”

“Yes, Headmaster, I have noticed as well.”

Realizing he wasn’t going to get any further information from his potions master, the Headmaster simply said, in his typically cheerful manner “Ah, well as long as you have the situation under control, I shall leave you to it.”

“Thank you Albus, that would be appreciated at this time”.

Albus picked up on the subtle promise for future information and so was content to leave Severus to his thoughts. “Have a good weekend then Severus. Please remember my door is always open to you, my boy.”

Already back to his silent musings, Severus merely grunted an affirmative.

 

Harry was not sure what to think as he made his way to the potions classroom for his detention. He had made sure to leave with plenty of time to spare since he was not sure what exactly would set off his hot-tempered professor. Something had obviously startled his teacher but Harry had no idea how to find out what exactly that something was.

Upon reaching the classroom door, Harry gathered up his courage and knocked. An irritated sounding “Enter!” was heard so Harry opened the door and then carefully closed it behind him. His professor appeared to be in deep meditation as he stood staring at his desk, tapping a finger against his tightly pursed lips.

When no further instruction was forthcoming, Harry asked “Um, Professor, what would you like me to do?”

“Go to the sink at the side of the room and begin washing the cauldrons. By hand, no magic.”

Harry replied “Of course, Professor” and made his way over to the sink. He surveyed the mess, located a footstool to pull up to the sink, and set to work.

Snape snapped out of his thoughts when the expected protests did not begin and looked over to see what the boy was getting into. He was a bit taken aback to see Potter dutifully filling the sink and organizing the haphazard pile that the cauldrons were laying in. Determined to get a rise out of the boy, Snape began “Is there a reason, Mr. Potter, which you think that you can speak in any way you wish to a Professor”.

Harry was not sure how he was expected to respond, so he simply said “No, sir”. When no further recriminations followed, Harry turned to look at his Professor. Professor Snape seemed to be staring intently at the front of the room and so Harry followed his gaze; he was shocked and thrilled to see his life-long protector and friend standing plain as day behind the Professor’s desk.  She seemed to be looking right at his Professor and she appeared to be angry judging by the stormy expression on her face.

Unsure what to do about the silent stand-off, he turned his confused gaze to Professor Snape and asked in a small and hopeful voice “Can you see her too, Professor?”

“Yes, you foolish child, what else do you think I would be staring at” Snape replied harshly making the face of Harry’s friend twist into an obvious frown.

“Well that’s brilliant, Professor, do you know who she is?” Harry asked excitedly.

Thinking that the brat was being either obtuse or condescending, Snape replied “Of course I know who she is, what kind of question is that?”

Harry was oblivious to his professor’s tone and rattled on, “Could you tell me who she is? I’ve seen her a few times and I have heard her voice for as long as I can remember now, but I don’t know who she is!”

Snape was ready to explode at the boy’s words until he caught a glimpse of his Lily’s mournful expression. “He really doesn’t know who you are, does he?” he murmured to Lily.

With a sad look on her face, Lily slowly shook her head no.

In his shock, Snape could only respond, “But how?”

Lily simply looked at Severus imploringly then nodded her head at Harry. Snape looked over and seeing Potter’s hopeful expression, said “We need to talk, Mr. Potter.”