Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

What Happened After Dumbledore Died?

“Merlin’s beard.”

Snape thought “Did Dumbledore ever know that he was being abused?” Snape sat in stunned silence.

It took everything that Snape had not to hex bastard that was Harry’s uncle. Harry would not like that, and Snape wouldn’t do it because it would only get Harry into more trouble. Snape had twenty minutes to try and figure out what he just saw, before Harry stormed into the room, and yet he still had no idea what he had witnessed. Harry slammed the door shut, and took his seat in the desk chair, glaring at Snape, who had now removed the invisibility cloak.

“What?” Snape questioned.

Harry did not answer his question, but pointed the wand at the door, casting a silencing charm. Harry looked back at Snape.

“What is it, Harry?” Snape questioned again.

“I’m waiting to see what snide comments you make.”

“I’m not going to do that.”

No indeed the older man was not going to say anything about what just happened, because long ago he knew what it was like to be in Harry’s position, but it felt just like yesterday. A bruise began to form on Harry’s cheek.

“Here.” Snape said rustling though the basket of healing potions. “This will help with the bruise.” He explained, throwing a jar at Harry.

Harry caught the jar, and looked at it before speaking.

“I’ll be fine professor.” Harry said as he set it on the table.

“How long has that….” Snape began, but Harry cut him off.

“I’m not talking about it.” His voice had a harsh edge to it

It was a few seconds of silence before Snape spoke again.

“Why do you think I would make a snide comment?”

“Because you wouldn’t hesitate to do it at school.” Snape winced as if Harry had just hit him. “Why are you here Professor? If you spied for Dumbledore, how could you kill him? He trusted you, and you went and stabbed him in the back.”

“Do not speak of what you don’t understand. You have only seen what Albus Dumbledore wanted you to see.”

“Then tell me what I wasn’t suppose to see. You need to help me understand, because it doesn’t make an bloody sense.” Harry snapped.

“Watch your tongue boy.” Snape snapped back. He was angry at the boy, but he didn’t enjoy it. Snape let out a slow breath before beginning again. “It’s a long story.”

“We have time.” Harry answered, leaning back in his chair.

“I don’t think that you will like this particular story.”

“And why would that be?”

“Because it involves your mother.”


Snape had just spent the last two hours telling Harry about Lily, and Snape’s transition from death eater to spy. Harry sat dazed, attempting to absorb what Snape had just told him.

“So Dumbledore had you kill him because he was already dying, and he wouldn’t let Malfoy kill him?”

“Correct.

Harry sat in silence.

So they were right. They all said that Dumbledore trusted Snape, so we should trust him too. Snape was a good guy all along.” Harry thought. “Professor, I’m sorry that I broke your nose, and that I hurt you.”

“That is alright Harry. Now I need you to speak. How long has your uncle been doing that to you?”

“I said that I didn’t want to talk about it.”

“It doesn’t feel good if you leave it bottled up. Believe me. You can trust me. I’m not going to tell anyone, because your mother didn’t tell anyone when I told her.” Harry had a confused look on his face. “Yes…..yes, my father abused me as a child as well. Your mother was the only one that knew, and she didn’t tell a soul. You can’t keep it bottled up.”

“It’s been going on all of my life. It stopped when Hagrid came to get me on that island. That was the first time that he’s done that in a long time. I’m normally too quick for him to catch me. If I knew he was going to do that, I would of ran out of the room.”

“Has he done anything worse than hit you?”

“No.”

Snape sat in silence. He had heard that the boy begged Dumbledore to stay over the summer in between his first and second year, but Albus wouldn’t allow it. Now Snape knew why. Dumbledore sent Harry back to Privet Drive because Dumbledore was trying to make Harry a warrior. Dumbledore was sending him back here, because it was making Harry tougher, but would he of done it if he knew that Harry was being abused? Dumbledore told Snape that he and the boy always had a lot in common, but he never wanted to have this in common with the boy.

Now something was beginning to change in Snape’s mind. He had always seen Harry as James Potter, an arrogant, praise me type of person. Now however, Snape saw Harry as a small, twelve year old boy, cowering in a corner.

“What was your dad like?” Harry questioned

“He was an evil man, who was afraid that his wife would leave him, and take his son with her. He used fear to keep her there, and when she wasn’t around, he would beat me . It got even worse after my mother’s death. Hogwarts became my safe haven, and I couldn’t wait till I could get away from him. When people are afraid, they tend to use physical power to subdue what causes their fear.”

“Professor, you didn’t tell me why you came here.”

“Oh, yes. Do you get the Prophet here?”

“Yes.” Harry motioned toward a large stack of papers in the corner.

“What is today’s date?”

“July fifth. Why is that important?” Harry asked. Snape couldn’t remember when he was taken. How long was he there for? “Professor, What happened?”

Snape looked up at Harry, and for a moment he thought Lily was sitting in front of him.

“After Dumbledore was dead, we went back to him. Something happened though, because I woke up in a cell. He interrogated me about spying on him, but I denied everything. It made him so mad that he figured that if he began to torture me, then I would cave in. That didn’t happen though. He tried everything, even techniques from the Muggle world. When nothing worked, he used Veritaserum. I cursed myself for not having the anti-potion when I figured out what he did. I figured, now that he knew what I did, he would of killed me. Apparently, that is not how he deals with his followers. He beat me, and at one point, I craved death and also begged for it. I did not give him the satisfaction though.

One night he threw me in a cell, and had Draco guard me. Draco helped me escaped. He let me out, told me where the brooms were kept, and had me stun him. I was over Spinner’s End when they caught up to me. They blasted me out of the sky. I crashed into a car and before they could find my body, I had disapparated. I didn’t want to apparate because of the condition I was in, but I needed to in that situation, or I would have been dead.” Snape shuddered

“Sir, why did you come here?”

“What?”

“Why did you apparate to my house?”

“Because something told me that you would help me.”

“Weren’t you afraid that I might kill you?”

“Yes I was very afraid that you could kill me, but I came because you are Lily’s son, and she would care for anyone who was hurt, no matter what they did in the past. I figured she may of passed that onto you, and I was right. I’m not dead yet, am I?”

“No sir, you’re not.”

“I thought you may of left me to die. I would of done that in if I were in your position, so yes, I am a little surprised.”

Silence filled the room. Harry was a little embarrassed that Snape thought he would try to kill him.

“Is there anything you need, Professor?” Harry questioned.

“Right now….no. If you don’t mind, I need a few days to get back to full health and then I’ll be gone.”

“You can stay as long as you want.” Harry offered.

“That is very kind of you Harry, but me being here could put you in harms way.”

“Oh.” Harry whispered, not being able to hide the sadness on his face, which made him seem old and tired.

“Why don’t you get some sleep Harry. I bet that you haven’t had a full nights sleep in a few days.”

“But….” Harry tried to argue.

“Rest, and I will see you in the morning.”

Harry couldn’t help but to obey his potions professor. His eyes closed, and for once, he felt safe falling asleep at the Dursley’s.

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you to everyone who is reviewing.