Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Up and Down

As soon as he'd reached the common room following detention, Harry rushed over to Seamus and Dean who were sitting with Fred and George, laughing. He knew the twins often joined in and drank Firewhiskey, as well. Everyone was going to be bloody angry when they found out that Harry had blown it by getting caught drunk. Because of him, there'd be a search for alcohol, and probably not just once. Harry was shocked that Snape had given him notice that he'd be telling McGonagall. He could have done it without saying anything to Harry, and his friends would have been caught for sure.

"Listen." Harry got their attention in a hushed and serious tone. "McGonagall knows that there's alcohol here in the Tower. She'll almost certainly do a search."

"What?" Seamus blew up. "Shite Harry, what the hell happened?"

Seamus and Dean both rushed up into the dormitory and Harry followed right behind. He watched as they rummaged through their belongings, removing so many bottles of Firewhiskey that Harry was stunned.

"I'm sorry..." Harry began an apology.

"Shut up, Potter!" said Seamus. "This is your bloody fault! Just leave us alone!"

"But she doesn't know it's you and Dean," Harry said, feeling guilty.

"Just go," said Dean. "We need to get rid of this before she shows up. Thanks for letting us know, Harry, but if you hadn't been caught by Snape this wouldn't be happening."

Harry turned and walked away from them. He felt like such an arsehole. But he also felt like it could've been much worse and they shouldn't be so angry with him. His mood plummeted and he went into the bathroom to be alone for a moment. Part of him wanted to grab one of those bottles of Firewhiskey and get pissed, and the rest of him wanted to fight Seamus and Dean. Splashing some water on his face he decided the best thing to do would be to get in his bed and do some writing.

It's funny how things can go to hell and be decent at the same time. One good thing is that I have a tiny bit of hope that life might get better. It's really up to me I think. And that means I might just bollocks it all up. But I don't feel like I need to die anymore, and it's a relief.

***

"Albus, I have no intention of betraying Potter's trust by telling you what we discuss." Severus said to Dumbledore. He'd been invited to tea in the Headmaster's office, knowing that he'd be grilled about the talks with Potter.

"Surely you can give me an idea of what's going on with the boy, Severus," replied Dumbledore.

"I think it's best if you trust me to handle it," said Severus. Secretly, he was delighted to have this advantage, a budding trust with Potter that Dumbledore had yet to achieve.

"I hope that if there is a serious issue or that harm may come to Harry, you will inform me." Dumbledore had no twinkle in his eyes. He was clearly disappointed to be left out of the loop.

"Don't worry, Albus," Severus said. "If there is something you need to know, I will not keep it from you."

Back in his office, Severus pondered the situation with Harry. He'd told Minerva about the alcohol problem with her house and she had immediately set off for Gryffindor Tower, no doubt to take them all to task. Her hands-off approach with the Gryffindors was the opposite from his own style. He preferred to be involved with his Slytherins' activities, and by being available to them and keeping them in check, there weren't many serious infractions.

Potter could not continue drinking alcohol. He hoped that the point had been made clear to the boy. Frankly, he was shocked by Potter's willingness to confide in him, as he'd expected angry defiance and deflection of the issues. Instead, they were making progress, and Severus felt obliged to investigate ways to help the boy deal with his depression. While he had a basic knowledge of psychological theories and disorders, someone with more experience and expertise should no doubt be consulted. It wouldn't be difficult to take a quick trip to St. Mungo's to meet with a healer about what to do next.

***

Harry was getting back on track with Ron and Hermione and didn't feel such a need to distance himself. But he still went off on his own at times to be alone. He'd never needed solitude the way he did now, and was grateful that they weren't giving him a hard time anymore. He decided to spend time after classes in the library, and sat on the floor in the area near the psychology books, which was quiet and out of the way.

Lost in thought, he barely noticed when a Ravenclaw first year walked up and stood next to him.

"Hello," Harry said.

"Hello, Harry Potter. I'm Luna Lovegood," she said, smiling.

"It's nice to meet you, Luna," he said, smiling back. "Would you like to sit down?"

"No, thank you." She had a faraway look on her face. Harry thought that Luna seemed content. She had a quality of calmness that he couldn't imagine possessing. "I just wanted to say hello. I'll let you go back to your psychology books."

As she walked away, Harry's jaw dropped. Had she been watching him? How did she know what he was reading? She seemed nice enough, but it was disconcerting to know she was paying such close attention to his habits. He shrugged to himself and kept reading. He'd have to go to dinner soon and then straight to detention, so he wanted to make the most of the time he had to himself.

***

Anger mounted in Harry throughout dinner that evening. Seamus and Dean were angry and kept talking loudly about what a wanker Harry was. He'd had enough of them by dessert. Ron grabbed his arm when he saw Harry about to blow it, and tried to calm him down.

"Take it easy, mate," said Ron. "Ignore them."

"I need them to shut the fuck up, Ron," Harry said, teeth clenched. "Or I'm going to beat the hell out of them."

Ron couldn't hide his look of shock. "Harry! You have detention with Snape in ten minutes. Ignore them, finish your tart, and walk away."

Harry took a couple deep breaths and realized that Ron was right. He had to walk away and go to his detention before he made a terrible decision. Plus, he could always punch them later on if they didn't quit it.

"You're a good friend, Ron," said Harry. "Thanks for getting me through this. I'm going to take off before things all go to hell."

Ron smiled and slapped Harry on the back. Harry gathered his things, ignored Seamus and Dean, and headed down to the dungeons.

***

Severus scowled a bit as he sat in the healer's office at St. Mungo's. He'd never gone to a healer for therapy, but he nearly chuckled to himself thinking of his own mental demons. The difference was that he'd been able to handle it without drawing attention to himself. Potter was running off the rails and it was obvious to nearly everyone around him since he wore his heart on his sleeve most of the time.

The healer was a fairly young woman, perhaps in her early thirties, with short dark hair and blue eyes. She took a seat at her desk and smiled.

"Professor Snape, it's good to see you," she said. "My name is Amanda Keller. I was a first year when you were a sixth year at Hogwarts, I believe. How can I help you today?"

"I have a student who is showing signs of depression and I thought it wise to consult you about his issues," Severus explained. "I'm unsure of how to proceed with the boy."

"Have you thought of having him speak with a therapist?" she asked. "An evaluation would help us determine how to treat him. I could make an appointment to see him at Hogwarts if that would be convenient."

"I'm very interested in hearing more about the treatment for depression, if that is truly his issue," said Severus, slowly. "As you know, discussing mental illness is discouraged in the wizarding world, and I don't have much knowledge beyond basic theories."

"Absolutely," said Dr. Keller. "Stigma concerning mental illness in our world is even more of a problem than it is in the Muggle world. How old is the child?"

"He's twelve," Snape answered. "As a Potions Master, I'm aware of the medicinal treatment options for adults, but I assume he is too young for such measures."

"Yes, if he needs treatment, therapy is a good option. I specialize in child psychology and normally would assess the child's needs and proceed accordingly. For example, an hour long therapy session once per week is somewhat standard. A more specific treatment plan would be conjecture at this point since I haven't met him." Dr. Keller seemed competent to Severus.

"I will speak to him about meeting with you when I see him this evening," said Severus. "I believe he'll be agreeable to talking with you. Would it be acceptable to contact you tomorrow to make an appointment?"

"That sounds perfect. I could meet with him in the evening any weeknight except Wednesdays," she said.

They agreed to speak the following night and Severus traveled by Floo back to Hogwarts in time for Potter's detention.

***

Harry trudged through the halls on his way to Snape's office. Spending so much time trying to figure out answers was wearing on him. He wasn't in the mood to talk tonight but he had no choice. He was feeling angry and tense. As he turned a corner and saw Draco Malfoy walking in his direction with Crabbe and Goyle, he prepared himself for a confrontation.

"What are you doing down here, Potter?" Malfoy asked. "Have another detention?"

"Sod off, Malfoy," he snarled.

The three Slytherin boys laughed. Malfoy walked up to Harry and shoved him. Harry had balanced himself and was able to push him right back. He dropped his school books and advanced on Malfoy. Crabbe and Goyle sprang into action and grabbed Harry, throwing him against the stone wall. Harry lashed out wildly, swinging at Malfoy but not connecting. Malfoy threw a punch that landed squarely on Harry's jaw, snapping his head back. Pain coursed through Harry's face and he recovered from the blow. All four boys froze in place when they noticed Snape striding toward them, furious.

"Stop it!" Severus spat. He couldn't believe Potter was scuffling in the hallway like a common thug. Malfoy and his idiot friends should have known better than to start a fight here, around the corner from his office, as if they wouldn't be caught.

"Ten points from Slytherin and ten points from Gryffindor." He was furious with Malfoy, who was no doubt the instigator. "Detention for you three with Filch, tomorrow night. Potter, come with me."

He allowed Harry time to gather his belongings before grabbing him by the arm and practically dragging him into his office. Once inside, he thrust Harry toward a chair and stood over him.

"Explain yourself," demanded Severus. His voice hard and menacing. Harry was struggling to keep his rage in check.

"That arsehole started it!" Harry yelled. "He pushed me, and I was already too angry. I wanted to kill him!"

"Language, Potter," Severus warned. "You must learn to control yourself. Taking on three larger students in a fight is just stupid."

Harry couldn't calm down. The anger was too intense. His face hurt, and he put his hand up to gingerly touch his jaw. Snape pointed his wand at Harry and the pain diminished.

"Thank you, sir," he said, quietly.

Severus sat down in the chair beside Harry, as he had done during their other talks. The boy was clearly furious, and berating him would not help the situation, no matter how annoyed he was with Potter.

"Look at me," said Severus. Harry looked over and met his eyes. As usual, he was unable to hold eye contact, but kept facing him, which was good enough. "I spoke to a healer at St. Mungo's about your situation. She is willing to meet with you to evaluate your symptoms."

Harry was distressed. He didn't want to see a shrink. It was embarrassing, and he didn't know of any other kid who had to do it.

"Sir, I don't think I'm that bad," Harry said. "Can't we just talk? I think things are getting better."

"Are they?" Severus drawled. "Fighting in a blind rage certainly seems to be an improvement."

Harry winced. Why did that have to happen tonight? Why couldn't Malfoy just leave him alone?

"I don't want to do it," Harry said. He was certain what he wanted wouldn't matter to Snape.

"Yes, well, we all have to do things we don't want to do," said Severus. "But I'm surprised, Potter. With all your research and willingness to speak about depression, I felt certain you'd be willing to speak with the therapist."

Harry was silent. It had actually been nice of Snape to go to St. Mungo's and talk to someone about this situation. And it was true that Harry had been spending all of his free time attempting to understand his feelings. He looked at Snape and saw that the man was giving him time to make a decision. Resigned to his fate, Harry knew that there was only one correct answer.

"I'll talk to her," said Harry, reluctantly. "But not alone. I want you to be there, too."

Harry couldn't believe he'd just said that to Snape. Still, it was true. He was afraid to talk to the therapist alone.

Severus was astounded. The boy was full of surprises.

"If Dr. Keller agrees, I am willing to be there with you," he said. Potter wanted him to be in the therapy session. Would wonders never cease?

"Thank you, sir," said Harry. "When will we go to St. Mungo's?"

"I will make an appointment with her and she will come here to see you. It would make sense to have the initial meeting during this detention time. She may Floo here to my office for privacy." Severus was pleased that the boy wasn't going to fight this. "Have you continued to write in your journal?"

"Yes, sir," answered Harry. "I write in it a few times a day, at least."

"It might be helpful for you to write about a specific topic related to your mental health," said Severus. He'd been thinking about this earlier in the day. "I would like you to describe exactly what you're feeling when you get so angry that you need to fight."

"Okay," Harry said. "But, um, are you going to read my journal?"

"Not all of it, Potter. Only the entries that I request from you," Severus answered. As much as he'd love to get his hands on that journal, he would respect the boy's privacy.

Harry put his head in his hands and closed his eyes. He nearly flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Was Snape comforting him?

"Things will get better, Harry," Severus said after patting the boy's shoulder. "I'm certain of it."

Harry fought the tears that were filling his eyes. He blinked them back before they had a chance to run down his cheeks. How could his emotions betray him like this? He wouldn't cry. He felt pathetic to be so moved by Snape's gesture and words, and yet it had truly comforted him. He'd even called him ‘Harry' instead of ‘Potter.' But in time, Snape would remember that he was worthless and not deserving of any help. His emotions were tearing Harry apart, and he knew he could not lift his head until he had composed himself. It seemed to be taking forever. 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading, and please review! Thank you to my beta, cara-tanaka, it's great to have help. :)