Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Insolence and Understanding

The week between sessions had flown by, and now Harry was meeting with Dr. Keller again. He'd been enjoying his evening talks with Professor Snape and wasn't interested in talking to her. Heading to the dungeons for the session, he felt angry and defensive. There was no way he was going to bare his soul to this woman, and he wasn't going to meet with her alone, either.

He knocked on the door to Snape's office, and when he entered, Dr. Keller was already there. Harry felt anger rising inside of him. He was supposed to have a chance to talk to Snape before she arrived, but here she was, early.

"Hi, Harry," she said. She smiled and gestured for him to sit. His chest felt tight, and he didn't want to sit. He looked over at Snape who appeared to be ready to leave the room. Harry moved to his usual chair and sat down.

"Sir? Aren't you staying?" he asked. Snape's expression was unreadable, and it made him uncomfortable.

"Potter, I do not think it is wise for me to continue sitting in on your sessions," he said. "You must learn to speak to Dr. Keller about your issues."

Harry was astounded. How could Snape do this to him?

"No!" he stood up and moved toward Snape. "Please, stay."

Severus hesitated and looked over at Dr. Keller. He didn't want to leave if Potter was this adamant. This situation was delicate, and he wasn't sure how productive it would be to argue this point. He'd thought the boy was ready to have a session without him, but now he wasn't so sure.

"Harry, if you feel that strongly about it, I have no objection to Professor Snape staying for our session," Dr. Keller said. "But I'm hoping that soon you'll be okay with meeting alone."

In moments, Severus had set up three chairs instead of two, and like the first meeting he was sitting next to Harry with Dr. Keller in front of them. Harry's body was tense, but he felt relieved. He never wanted to meet with her alone, but he wouldn't say that now.

"We got quite a bit accomplished last week, Harry," she said. "Next it's important to address your depression and discuss a treatment plan."

They sat in silence for a moment. "Why do you go by Dr. Keller and not Healer Keller?" Harry asked.

"It's fairly common for someone who has both a doctorate in psychology from the Muggle world as well as graduate education in healing from the wizarding world. My title doesn't matter, and that reminds me that you're both welcome to call me Mandy," she answered.

"Oh." Harry hadn't realized that people sometimes were educated that highly in both worlds. He didn't plan on getting to know Mandy much better because he was going to end therapy. "Well, I don't really want to keep doing this. I've been talking to Professor Snape, and that's really all I need."

Severus looked at Harry. He couldn't believe the boy was already fighting to avoid therapy. "Mr. Potter, we've discussed this issue. I am not a healer and you need a higher level of help than I am able to provide."

"Stop saying that you aren't a healer! It doesn't matter. I don't want to talk to her!" Harry found himself escalating into anger quickly.

"Enough," said Severus. "You are being rude, Potter. Trust that we know what's best for you."

"Harry, I think it's great that you've been able to connect with the Professor." Mandy smiled at both of them. "Why don't we see how things go tonight, okay?"

In his head, Harry knew that things weren't going to go nearly as well as she hoped. Screw this; he didn't have any interest in getting to know and trusting someone new. Snape was glaring at him. "Fine."

"Why don't you tell me how this week has been for you?" she asked.

"It's been fine," Harry answered. He felt defiant and it was exciting to have a bad attitude again. It reminded him of the times he'd been like this in his classes earlier in the term.

Severus wasn't sure if he was supposed to interject in the sessions or simply be there as a supportive presence for Harry. He decided it was more important to get down to business.

"Harry has some very serious anger issues," said Severus. "I asked him to bring it up with you, but he is clearly not feeling cooperative tonight."

"I don't want to talk about it." Harry snapped. "Just leave me alone."

The session went on like this, and as much as Mandy tried to get Harry to relax and talk, he wouldn't give in and participate. Severus was furious with the boy. He's gone through the trouble of finding this healer, getting her to come to Hogwarts to work with Harry, and this is how he was repaid? Potter was going to pay for this.

"I'll be back to see you at the same time next week, Harry," said Mandy. "And I think it might be best if you and I meet alone."

"I agree, Doctor." Severus gave Harry a hard look.

"Whatever," said Harry, standing up to leave.

"Good night, Harry," Mandy called after him. "Good night, Professor." Severus inclined his head, and said good night. She looked over at Harry before leaving via the Floo Network.

"Get over here, Potter," Severus said, pointing at the chair. "Don't you dare walk out that door."

Harry felt conflicted. He was pleased with himself for being so difficult, and yet he felt guilty for disappointing Snape. He sat down in the chair and lowered his head.

"Oh, no." Severus sat down and roughly cupped Harry's chin with his hand, forcing him to look up. "It's too late to act contrite. I cannot believe your behaviour tonight. This is what we're working toward? You being rude and disrespectful with a healer who is making the time to come here?"

"Contrite?" asked Harry. "What does that mean? Because I'm not sorry."

Severus had to suppress the urge to grab the boy and shake him. "I will not work with you if this behaviour continues. We will no longer have talks, and I will have nothing to do with you. We all make choices, Potter. You will either choose to obey and do what I am asking you to do, or we're done. Do you understand?"

Harry's heart dropped at Snape's words. So that was it? He'd wash his hands of Harry that easily? He choked back the lump in his throat. If he spoke he was sure to cry, although it looked like crying was imminent regardless of whether or not he spoke.

Severus could see that Potter understood the gravity of the situation. The boy was on the verge of tears, and Severus wanted to get him to see that there was only one real choice. Honestly, he wasn't going to turn his back on Harry, because he'd made a commitment to Dumbledore, to Dr. Keller, and mainly, to Harry. But it was imperative that the boy accept his rules. Whether he liked it or not, this was going to happen. He waited until Harry was able to speak.

"Sir," said Harry, his voice cracking almost immediately. Harry had trouble speaking through his sobs. "I thought you wanted to help me, and that you'd be here for me. And now, because I fucked up, you're just going to walk away?"

"Language, Potter." Severus tried to remain calm. "You misunderstand, Harry. I will not walk away from you; I should not have used that sentence. I am angry right now, and frustrated. But there is only one choice for you, and you must make it. I need you to be willing to do exactly what I ask you to do, and to trust me."

Harry stopped Severus from continuing. "I have to do whatever you ask me to do? Without having any say in it?"

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yes, Harry. Thus far we have had a vague understanding of how things would proceed. You would come to detention and we would talk, and there would be meetings with Dr. Keller. However, it is clear that we must solidify expectations on both sides. We cannot move forward without a clear understanding of what you are being asked to do."

"Okay," Harry answered. He was wary of what Snape was saying. Was Harry going to have any say in this new plan?

"I will tell you exactly what I expect from you, and you have permission to let me know how you feel about it. Then, you may express what your expectations are of me, and we will take it from here."

"That sounds good, sir." Harry nodded. This seemed very sensible.

"As it is too late to continue with this tonight, we can give it some thought, write down some ideas, and discuss the issue tomorrow night," said Severus. "And Potter, you have a Saturday detention for your disrespectful behaviour tonight with Dr. Keller. Understand that we won't be talking, but you'll be scrubbing cauldrons."

Harry's crying had stopped, but he was still shaken up. "I'm so sorry, sir."

"Yes, well next week I expect you to give Dr. Keller a proper apology, and if you dare treat her that way again, there will be consequences much worse than one Saturday detention." Severus motioned for Harry to stand. He cuffed Harry lightly on the back of the head and then put his arm around him, pulling the boy close.

Tears began to spill from Harry's eyes once again. "I'll make it a good apology, I really will."

Severus nodded. "I'm sure you will, Harry. Are you okay to go up to your dorm? You seem to be having a hard time calming down."

"I don't know if I can stop crying," Harry said, sobbing. He was overwhelmed by emotion and it didn't appear that he'd recover any time soon.

Severus knew what had to happen. He guided Harry over to the door that led from his office to his private rooms. Immediately after passing through the doorway, Harry was stunned. He was in Snape's home here at Hogwarts. He couldn't believe the man was taking him into his rooms. Snape must have some trust in Harry to do this, yeah?

They entered the living room and Snape gestured for Harry to have a seat on his small couch. Snape went over to a small table in what could only be considered a tiny kitchen space and summoned a pot of tea, which appeared immediately. He poured cups for both of them while Harry looked around the room. It seemed that in every possible spot Snape had set down a bookcase and filled it up. The living room wasn't large, but would certainly have more space without the books. Harry noticed the way Snape was able to tap his wand to get the attention of the house elves and request tea.

There was a hallway, probably leading to the bathroom and Snape's bedroom. The wood was in a cherry finish, and the room was more cozy and warm than he'd expected from Snape's quarters in the dungeons. Just being in this new environment was helping Harry to calm down.

Severus walked up, set down the tea tray, and took a seat next to Harry on the couch. He handed the boy a calming draught, which Harry held suspiciously.

"It's a calming draught, Potter," said Severus. "Take it and your emotions will balance, allowing you to return to Gryffindor Tower where you will think about how you behaved tonight, and write in your journal the followings things. One, you will write an apology to Dr. Keller. Two, you will write down your expectations of me. We will discuss both of these items tomorrow when we meet after dinner."

Harry took the calming draught and then picked up his tea to wash down the foul taste of the potion. His breathing was becoming steadier, and his eyes were no longer overflowing with tears.

"Thank you, Professor," said Harry. "I won't blame you if you decide you don't want to help me."

"No more about this tonight, Harry," Severus said, shaking his head. "I will walk you up out of the dungeons because I need to meet with Professor Dumbledore."

They stood and left through a door that opened into a dungeon hallway. On the first floor, Harry waved good night to Snape and headed up to Gryffindor Tower. He had a lot of thinking and writing to do.

***

Snape didn't say that Harry had to go directly back to the Tower. Instead he headed to the library, and went all the way to the back to a table where he could sit and write. He pulled out his journal, quill, and ink, and began to think about how to apologize. After a moment he could feel eyes on him and he turned around.

"Hello, Harry," said Luna. He hadn't seen Luna since the time they met in the psychology section.

"Hi, Luna. How are you?" Harry greeted her.

"I'm well, thank you. How are things coming along with psychology?" she asked.

Harry snorted. "Well, they're coming along, I guess. It's a long story." He gestured for her to have a seat next to him at the table.

"I know a bit about psychology," Luna said, quietly. "I went to a mental health healer for quite some time after my mum passed away."

"Oh, Luna." Harry felt deep pain for her. "I'm so sorry to hear that your mum passed away."

"Yes, it was awful. But going to the healer was very nice. No one else has ever been as interested in what I had to say. Dad cares, of course, but he's often busy with the Quibbler."

Harry was blown away by the information that another student had been to a healer for mental problems. "Thanks, Luna. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who's had to deal with something like this."

"There's nothing to be ashamed of, Harry," she said. Smiling, she reached over and gave his arm a squeeze. "If you ever want to talk, I'll be here. I don't have any friends."

With that, Luna got up and walked away. She was an odd girl, but Harry liked her, and he had something in common with Luna that his other friends didn't understand. He found a blank page in his journal and began to write his apology to Dr. Keller. Or Mandy. He wasn't sure what to call her now that he'd been a complete prat.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for your reviews, they keep me going! And thank you to my beta, cara-tanaka.