Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok in this Chapter, I was trying to explain Harry's maturity and immaturity and what the adults were thinking the problem was and why he constantly switches beetween them. Hope you like it.

Oh this chapter doesnt have alot of Severus in it but it had to be here, otherwise Sirius could contest the guardianship. More Sev is in the next Chapters though
Chapter 10: Return To Grimmald Place

Harry jumped out of bed early Monday morning around 6:00am and quickly packed his clothes into his bag. Today was the day he was going to be spending a couple weeks with Sirius and he couldn’t wait. Although he had fun with Snape especially this weekend he was excited and looking forward to seeing the remaining Marauders. He made himself settle down by coloring in one of his books and that’s how Snape found him 2 hours later when he went to wake him for breakfast. He quickly headed downstairs and ate his food, and waited impatiently for 10:00am to roll around. He went back upstairs to grab his stuffed dog and shoved it into his bag he didn’t want Snape to see. He worked on his puzzle and was nearly finished when Snape called him and told him it was time to go. He walked downstairs and held onto Snape as they floo to Grimmald Place together. He ran and hugged Sirius while Moony and Severus spoke quietly together. He handed his bag to Padfoot and was about to follow him out the room when he heard Snape call out goodbye to him. Harry turned around and wondered what Snape would be doing for 2 weeks without him there.  In a way he didn’t want to leave him, and as he felt his tears coming he knew that his 11 year old brain was taking over.

“You’re going to come back and get me, right Uncle Severus?”

“Yes Harry, in two weeks I will be here.”

Harry couldn’t resist the childish urge to hug Severus goodbye, and he pressed his face against his robes to smell the Lavender and Chamomile, and wiped his tears on them. He didn’t see the pointed look that Severus gave Remus when he did this.

“Ok, I’ll see you later then.”

“Goodbye Harry”            

 As Severus flooed away he didn’t see that Harry had run from the room, to be alone. He himself was worried about the child and even though he knew the separation was good for the both of them; it didn’t make him feel better. He did have things to prepare for school that he couldn’t do with a child here so he pushed the feeling he got when he left Harry in the back of his mind and focused on his work.         

   Harry had run out the room when Severus entered the floo, he wasn’t a crybaby and he didn’t want them to see his tears. Apparently Remus didn’t get the memo because he followed Harry to the kitchen where he’s run in. Wiping his arm across his eyes, he tried to make the tears stop falling but they wouldn’t. The adult part of his brain was thinking this was stupid to be crying when he said he would see him in 2 weeks but the child part was feeling like he was being abandoned and wouldn’t listen to sense.

“Harry cub, are you ok?”

“I’m fine Uncle Remmy, I’m happy that I’m here.”

“I couldn’t tell Harry,” Remus said smiling.

Harry smiled through his tears; he loved Sirius and Remus and he wanted to be here. Besides he would see Severus again, he rationalizes.

“So where am I going to be staying,” Harry said then sniffled.

“Up here in the room between mine and Sirius’s.”

Harry walked up the stairs, and quietly passed the portrait of Lady’s Black so she wouldn’t yell. When Remus left him in the room to get settled in Harry softly called the house elf?

“Kreacher”

The old house elf appeared in front of him like he remembered him only he was looking at him with pride.

“Master called Kreacher?”

“Kreacher, why are you calling me Master when Sirius is still Lord Black?”

“He is now, but before and later you will be. Kreacher can see that you treat him right, so he calls you Master.”    

        Harry smiled at that, guess it wasn’t just magical animals that knew he was from a different time. He wondered if Dobby would remember him too; if he did then he would have to free him again. Though he was going to free Dobby anyway, he risked his life for Harry and died saving him and his friends.

“Kreacher, the locket that Regulus gave you, I have the real one. Would you like to switch with me?”

 Harry pulled the locket from his pouch and handed it to Kreacher.

“Kreacher wills Master, I go get it now.”           

  Harry watched the house elf pop away and then return in a minute with the locket, the minute he touch it he felt it talk to him to try to put it in. He quickly put it in a small box and then tucked it in his pouch and closed it and thanked Kreacher.  

“Anything for you Master,” Kreacher replied before popping away.

Harry ran back to the living room and nearly collided with Sirius who was looking sad.

“What’s the matter Padfoot?”

“Moony won’t let me take you anywhere.”

“That sucks, where were you trying to take me?”

“I remember Lily telling me and James about this muggle place where you could ride coasters, whatever that is.”

“Oh that’s a theme park, I heard there really fun. I would love to go.”

“So would I, do you think you could maybe ask Moony to let me take you?”

“He would have to come with us Sirius.”

“I know, that’s not a problem.”

“Then I’ll go and ask him.”         

   Harry knocked on Remus’s door, and entered when he was told too.  Moony was currently reading a book; Harry didn’t know how to work this. After all Remus was used to Sirius but if he could trick Severus he could do it for Remus. He shook his head at that thought, which sounded much too horrible; he couldn’t even try to justify his actions.

“Moony, why can’t Padfoot take me out? I mean he is my godfather isn’t he?”

“Yes Harry he is, but Sirius is still very weak.”

“I know that but, he should be able to live a little, please?”

“No Harry not today.”

“When would he be able to go then, soon?”

“I don’t know Harry, we’ll see.”

Harry shook his head, time to pull out the big guns. He hoped it would work he really didn’t feel like crying anymore today. He turned around like he was walking out the door with his head down low he spoke softly to himself knowing that Remus could hear every word plain as day.

“Guess Uncle Severus told him about me being a freak and not deserving anything. It doesn’t matter at least I get to see Padfoot; I just hope I don’t mess up over here too. I wonder if they get tired of me would they send me back to Uncle Vernon even though Uncle Severus said he wouldn’t allow it. Besides I can’t allow myself to get too spoiled when I already went to the zoo and park with Uncle Severus this past weekend, and he bought me new things.”

Out loud Harry spoke quickly making his voice crack a little on the words.

“Sorry for disturbing you Uncle Remmy, I’m just going to be in that room you showed me.”

“Harry that’s your room here, no one will take it away from you.”Remus replied shocked at what he heard the child say.

“Freaks don’t have rooms; they have cupboards,” Harry said shaking his head and walking out.

If the horrified expression on Moony’s face was anything to go by Harry knew they were getting out the house. He bumped into Sirius in the hall, and shook his head no and then walked to his room smiling to himself. He lay on his bed hugging his stuffed dog and 10 minutes later someone entered his room. He didn’t turn to face them; he just waited for them to start talking.

“Hey kiddo, I don’t know what you did but Moony said we are leaving in an hour.”

“What, but Uncle Remmy said we couldn’t go and he didn’t know when we would be able to.”

“Well I guess he changed his mind kiddo.”

“But why would he do that?”

“I don’t know Harry, what did you say to him?”

“I just asked, like you said.”

“Oh well, get ready and get everything you need ok?”

“Of course Padfoot”          

  Harry was already ready and he occupied himself by looking at the photos in his pouch, he had to make sure he didn’t leave some of them lying about around here. How would he explain away his children, or an older version of himself? He put the pictures away when he heard Sirius calling him to come downstairs, and he ignored Remus who told him to make sure he had everything. He knew what was expected of him and he had a part to play. They apparated to a muggle theme park in London; he had always heard Dudley talk about visiting but Harry never actually was able to go. Harry looked around in amazement to find that Sirius’s face mirrored his own and he laughed, Padfoot was really just a big kid, kind of like he was.          

   They had been there for about 4 hours already when Remus saw how tired Sirius was getting so he decided to stop for lunch. He handed him a pepper up potion, he knew that Siri should be at home resting but after hearing Harry talk about himself that way, he could see that Severus was right in his observation, not going would have proved in the child’s view that they really thought he was nothing. He watched both their faces and couldn’t help but feel like the only adult here, Padfoot was a child himself.  As they were waiting in line for another ride, Remus happen to look at Harry who was talking to Sirius animatedly about the ride, and saw how much trouble he seemed to be keeping still. He brushed that thought away; Harry was 11 years old surely he would let them know if he needed the loo.        

 

    Harry couldn’t believe how much fun he was having, he would have to come back here with Severus and Draco and Ron. He smiled ironically at that thought; well first he would need to make friends with the last two. He was currently talking to Sirius about the ride they were about to go on, and he couldn’t wait. He knew that he had a part to play, and that Remus was watching him closely. Harry for his part was having a crisis inside his head. The mature part of his mind and his child logic were at it again, but this time regarding his bladder. He really couldn’t wait until he was of age, he hoped by then that both his adult minds would merge together, otherwise he was screwed. He danced the entire time that he talked to Sirius, ignoring Moony’s curious looks. They waited in line for 45 minutes and by then they were only a few people away from getting on the coaster, but by this time Harry really needed the loo. He hated that in his child’s body his bladder was incredibly small, he used to be able to hold all day, and now he could barely manage 5 hours. He wiggled around constantly until even Sirius noticed something was up.

“What’s up kiddo, you feeling ok?”

“I’m fine Padfoot, just tired of standing,” Harry lied as he crouched down.

“I don’t think that’s it Harry, you sure you don’t need the loo?”

“No, I’m fine Uncle Remmy.”

Remus narrowed his eyes so reminiscent of Severus that Harry had to look down; they were talking too much to each other he mused. Remus shook his head; clearly Severus knew what he was talking about when he warned him because he could see exactly what he meant. He watched Harry anxiously look around and then frantically grab the front of his trousers and Remus finally spoke up.

“I think you do need the toilet Harry, come on lets go.”

“I don’t Uncle Remmy please, besides were nearly there.”

“Oy Moony calm down, if he says he doesn’t have too then let it go, he is 11 after all.”

“Sirius I want you to look at him, and then repeat what you just said to me if you still believe it to be true.”       

     Harry saw Sirius casually glance at him with an apologetic look when his mouth opened in a silent oh. He grinned on the inside wondering what his godfather would say.

“Hey kiddo I have to agree with Remus on this one. I know that your 11 an all but I really do think you need the toilet, and quite urgently from what I’m seeing.”

“You’re taking Moony’s side now? I don’t believe this.”      

      Harry had to stop himself from gaping, since when was Sirius ever serious? He wasn’t even serious when he was fighting Bellatrix in a duel that resulted in his death.

“Kiddo I’m not taking anybody’s side, I’m just telling you what I see in front of me. And this is partly our fault; I guess we forgot that you’re still a child and can’t hold it as long as us. You don’t want to mess around and end up wetting your pants in front of all these people do you?”

“No but were nearly getting on the ride now, can’t I go after? I promise you I can wait; I’m not a little kid you know,” Harry replied irritated.

“See that’s the thing cub I don’t think you can. I know you’re not a little kid but I’m afraid I’m putting my foot down for this one; you said you didn’t want an accident but if you wait any longer you will have one. Don’t worry we’ll come back so you can ride this one, I promise.”           

 Harry frowned a part of him was disappointed but another part of him was glad, he honestly didn’t know how long he could hold it. They were the next people to ride but they exited on the other side where Remus grabbed Harry’s hand and sped walked them to the loo. Harry groaned softly when he saw the line for it, and he jumped up and down and twisted around. Basically anything he could do to hold it in. He thought about what he hoped to accomplish this time around to distract himself from the line. He really couldn’t wait until he was 17 again, hopefully by them he will have finished all of his tasks, and he would finally be back on his own. The only thing he wasn’t looking forward too was defeating Voldermort again; it was hard enough the first time. Finally a park worker walked over to them and led them to a family bathroom. Harry was ushered in by Remus who locked the door behind them. Shaking his head Harry quickly tried to unfasten his belt, but he couldn’t, so he turned to Remus.

“Help,” he croaked.        

    Moony walked over to him, unbuckling it with ease and the button on his trousers. As Harry ran to the toilet, Remus spoke up;

“Next time, don’t wait until the last minute Harry. You barely made it.”

They finished up and walked out to see Sirius sitting on a bench eating Candy Floss.

“Did you make it ok Harry? Oy, Moony why did you leave me?”

“Because he almost didn’t make it as it was, and if we would have waited for you he wouldn’t have. Not to mention we were standing in that line first.”

“Enough said.” Sirius replied as he took in the sight of the line.     

       Harry was staying quiet; if he was getting tired then he knew that Sirius was already feeling the effects. But they both wanted to ride the coaster they had just left the line for, but his health was more important.

“Uncle Siri, are you feeling ok? Because we could leave if you’re not feeling well enough.”

“Moony, you’re corrupting Harry. Kiddo I’m fine, but thanks for asking.”          

  They rode that ride and they apparated home where Harry pretended not to see Remus helping Sirius to his room so he could rest. He went into his room and lied down on the bed and wondered what Severus was doing this very moment. He soon found himself lost in his memories, and then he fell asleep and like Sirius he slept straight through dinner.Remus floo called Severus that night after Harry and Sirius were both in bed. He shook his head they needed to figure out what to do about Harry.

“Evening Severus”

“Hello Lupin, is everything ok with Harry?”

“For the most part, you were right about him thinking he’s worthless though.”

“He told you?”

“No he was muttering to himself, and he didn’t know I could hear him. He thinks because you gave him clothes and toys and took him out that you’re spoiling him. When he calls himself a freak what do you do?”

“He what? Damn Dursely those are all necessities, for every child. I told him the next time I heard him refer to himself as it, he would be tasting soap.”

“That’s a good idea; I might have to take that. Children usually associate eating soap when they say a bad word, yea this could work Severus.  Although he doesn’t know that it’s a necessity given the environment he had grown up in. Another thing I wanted to talk to you about was did you ever find out why he doesn’t inform you about his need for the loo? Do you think they could have prevented him from ever asking, and now it’s out of habit?”

“I warned you about that, did you go anywhere today? I think you might be right; maybe you can have the talk with him. Did you spell his room like I told you?”

“We went to a muggle theme park, and he almost didn’t make it. Sirius was actually serious for once too; I don’t know what to do Severus. And yes I spelled it before he got here.”

“Talk with him about it tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of it; I have to go I have a potion on. Don’t forget to tell me how the talk goes.”

“Ok, I’ll try, goodnight Severus.Remus turned off the floo and went upstairs to his room.           

 Harry woke up the next morning early like usual and headed down the stairs after he got dressed. He was walking pass Lady Black’s portrait when she opened her curtains to look at him, and he froze and stared back at her. He didn’t say anything for fear she would start screaming like she usually did, but all she said was ‘you’ll do’ before closing her curtain. Shaking his head in confusion he went into the kitchen, where he was met by Kreacher who had breakfast on the table for him already. As he was sitting down he heard someone come down the stairs, it smelled like a wolf so he knew it was Moony.

“Good morning Moony,” Harry spoke without turning around.“

Good morning Harry, how did you know it was me?”

“Sirius smells like a dog and you smell like a wolf,” replied absentmindedly.

Remus who had been taking a swallow of his coffee choked and sputtered on it as he processed Harry’s words.

“What do you mean by that Harry?” He asked cautiously.

“I think you know what I mean Moony,” Harry replied pointedly.”

Harry glanced up to find that Remus for his part was looking at him eyes wide in panic, and horror. He smiled at him gently, he wasn’t afraid of him but he didn’t know that yet.

“Take another whiff of my scent Moony,” Harry replied relaxed.

Harry watched as Remus sniffed the air toward and him and then sharply turned to look at him. He didn’t say anything but it stance told him that he was waiting for answers.

“I’m not a werewolf if you’re wondering; I just have a wolf animagus form.”

“That’s not possible, your only 11. Your magic shouldn’t be that strong yet.”

“It is possible I’ll show you,” Harry responded.        

    Harry quickly got out of his chair and transformed to his wolf cub for to the shocked look on the werewolf’s face. He yipped softly as he laughed at his reaction, then he heard Sirius running down the stairs.

“Oy Remus, where is Harry? And when did you have a cub, are you forgetting to tell me something Moony?”

“That’s Harry,” Remus murmured shaking his head in disbelief.

Harry watched at Sirius looked down at him before smiling widely and then transforming into his dog form. Harry yipped excitedly; he could understand Sirius since they were both canines. He was about to leap at Sirius when he remembered that Moony was still standing in the kitchen. He reluctantly transformed back, and sat back down to eat his breakfast.

“Does Severus know Harry?”

“No, I didn’t think he would be happy about it.”

“Hey kiddo, I can’t believe it, you’re a young marauder now. Ooh too bad we lost the map Moony or I would give it to Harry, after all he’s the next generation.”

“The Marauder’s map, how did you guys make it anyways?” Harry asked without thinking.

When no one answered, Harry looked up to find to identical curious faces staring back at him. He mentally hit his head against the wall he really should learn to think before he spoke. But at the same time he really wanted to share this with someone, he needed to go back to Hogwarts ASAP. Albus was the really the best choice when you think about it, once again, Fawkes was right.

“How did you know about that Harry?”

“I own the Marauder’s map.”

“How did you get it Harry? We don’t even know where we lost it.”

“It was in the pouch my mum gave me, here I’ll show you.”

Harry pulled the pouch away from his neck and opened it up, reaching in he passed the invisibility cloak and pictures and he pulled out what looked like old parchment. He handed it to Sirius and closed his pouch back, he was waiting for them to say the password to the map but they just looked at him again.

“Harry, would you mind telling us what else is in that pouch?”

“Some of the things are personal, but I have pictures of you and Sirius and dad and mum and Severus. I have letters from them and letters I’m supposed to give each of you when I feel is the right time. I also have things that once belonged to them, like my dad’s cloak and mum’s wedding ring.”

“Can we see some of the things Harry?”        

    Harry shook his head no, and backed away from them unconsciously. He knew that there were charms on it to prevent anyone from taking it off of him but one can never be too careful.

“Hey Harry, we weren’t going to take anything away from you. I mean James and Lily gave it to you, so it would be wrong of us to take it from you. What Moony meant to ask was if we could see some of the pictures you were talking about? Do you think that would be ok?”

Harry and Remus were staring at Sirius like he had grown a third head, was this Padfoot or some kind of imposter? Since when was he the one who thought like an adult, he was just as immature as Harry was pretending to be, well most of the time. Harry nodded in response to Sirius’s question and reopened the pouch. Making sure he only got the pictures of them and none of his friends or his self and children. He timidly handed them the pictures, he didn’t want them ruined or to lose them. While they were looking at the pictures Sirius went upstairs and returned with a box. They spent the rest of that day just reminiscing about their past and their fallen friends. Later on that night after he had said goodnight to Sirius, Remus came in to tuck him in and Harry knew by the look on his face that he wanted to talk.

"Ok the first thing I wanted to talk about with you was why you won't tell anyone when you need the loo. You do know it's perfectly natural and everybody does it right?"

Harry was mortified, the first time around he was never allowed to ask for things the toilet included. Now this time around the actual 11 year old in him usually took over and he kept his problems to himself for fear of punishment. He shook his head, he couldn't tell that to man not unless he wanted to end up in the crazy bin. How was he supposed to answer Remus's question? Maybe silence would work like it did with Snape and his nightmares, so he shurgged his shoulders and kept quiet.

"Alright you don't have to tell me Harry, but I need you to answer me this. Did the Durselys ever prevent you from using the loo, or did you ever get in trouble for asking to use it?"

"Yes Aunt Petunia says that freaks don't have right." Harry whispered face flaming in embarrassment. Why does it seem like everyone cares this time around? He thought, why do they want to know how life was like at the Durselys?

"So where did you go to the toilet then Harry?" Remus asked struggling to keep the horror off of his face, lest the boy stop talking. He waits patiently when it seems like Harry was fighting with himself not to tell him.

"I had a bucket in my cupboard," Harry finally answers. He was thoroughly humilated at the turn of the conversation.

"I don't want to talk about that anymore ok?" Harry said, eyes everywhere but on Remus.

"I understand Harry, we'll move on to the next topic of out talk."

"Which is what?" Harry asked, now quite frightened of the unknown subject.

“Harry, why do you refer to yourself as a freak?”

He mentally shook his head, he didn’t actually think that. But when he was a kid the first time around he did, so maybe he should just tell Remus about the Dursleys.

“Because for the 1st 5 years I lived with them I thought that was my name. That’s how the spoke to me, it’s really hard to undo 11 years of abuse with just 1 month or so.”

“Harry you do understand that they were the freaks and not you. They were jealous of the magic that you have inside of you, that’s why they treated you like that.”

“That’s stupid”

“I know it is Harry, and I going to have to ask you not to call yourself a freak anymore.”

“Why, am I going to be punished here if I do?”

“Yes, Severus said that you would be tasting soap, and frankly I agree.”

“Ok, I’ll try not to call myself a freak anymore.”

“Good, sleep well Harry.”

They spent the remainder of the holiday with Harry goofing off and having a blast with each other’s company, and when the time came for him to leave, just like with Severus he didn’t want to leave.    

Chapter End Notes:
Always review and thanks you guys....

NO FLAMES if you dont like my story get over it. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to read it.