Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is the long awaited Sorting I hope you guys enjoy this, and I hope it was was you expected at least.

Theres a bit of humor in here thanks to
Nightshade sydneylover150 for her idea about how Slytherin Harry was and Sirius.
Chapter 12: Return of the Sorting Hat

*There is a few scenes from HP book 1 in here and they all belong to JKR*

~Sorting Hat~

*Phoenixa*

 

Harry woke up on Sept 1st excited as can be for some reason. Although he had already done this he couldn’t wait to ride the train and make friends with his friends. He laughed at that thought and quickly showered and got dressed. He went to the kitchen and ate breakfast wondering where Severus was this morning. Even though he was at Hogwarts already his godfathers wanted him to have this experience of riding the train to school, and he wasn’t complaining.            

 At about 10:30am Severus emerges from his lab to find Harry dressed with his trunk, ready to leave for the train. He smiled at his eagerness before telling Harry there was no need to bring his trunk since it was already at Hogwarts and grabbing his hand to floo to Kings Station. They landed amiss the children and their parents, it was hectic and Snape grimaced at he took it all in. He caught sight of Black and Lupin and pulled Harry towards them. Shaking his head at their tearful goodbyes, he ruffled the child’s already messy hair.

“I’ll see you in about 6 hours Harry, so no need to cry. When you get off the train Hagrid will show you and your classmates where to go.”

“I know Uncle Sev,” Harry whispered worriedly.

“Then what’s with the long face?”

“The sorting, what if I get into Gryffindor? You hate that house, will you hate me too?”

Harry saw Remus and Sirius turn as they heard Harry’s question, and Severus stiffen. Well he had to ask right, no sense in having him resent him for being in the lions house.

“Don’t worry about that child; wherever you get sorted we will all be proud of you.”

“You didn’t the answer the question though, will you hate me?”

“I will never hate you Harry,” Severus replied sighing.

Harry nodded once; he wasn’t planning on getting into Gryffindor just like he told Draco. He wasn’t sure the hat would listen to him this time around, but he didn’t really care. Houses weren’t evil it was only certain people from it. He got on the train when he heard the Captain’s voice and quickly got near a window to wave goodbye to his family. They pulled out the Station and Harry walked to an empty compartment and sat down. About 15 minutes later, someone knocked and then opened the door, and a familiar red head entered his compartment.

“Do you mind if I sit down? Every one that I’ve checked so far is full.”

“No not at all,” Harry replied gesturing to the empty seats.

“I’m Ron by the way, Ron Weasley.”

“Nice to meet you I’m Harry, Harry Potter.”      

      Harry watched Ron’s face as he processed what he said, just like before his friend’s face morphed into shock and surprise and he got ready for the question that only Ron would ask.

“Do you really have the, the scar?”

 “Oh yea,” Harry replied smiling while he lifted up his fringe.

“Wicked”    

        Harry smiled at his reply and they started talking about other things, and getting to know each other in Ron’s case. As they were halfway through a Quidditch debate on who was the best team, the door opened to reveal a flustered Draco. Harry looked at Ron who was looking at the newcomer curiously, and back to the blonde hair boy who was looking at Harry.

“Hey Harry, I thought you were going to sit with me for the train ride, what happened?”

“Oh, I had forgotten Draco, sorry about that. Do you want to join us instead?”

“I guess I can for a little while, Crabbe and Goyle won’t miss me, they just bought food from the trolley.”

“Cool then, we were just talking about who was the best Quidditch team.”

“And I was saying how the Chudley Cannons were the best,” Ron piped in.

“No way, they suck they have yet to win a match this season,” Draco replied.

“That’s because the teams they have been facing are too easy for them. Their warming up, trust me when I say by the end of the season they will be on top.”

“No way, I’ll believe that when I see it.”

Harry smiled as his friends argued over whose team was better, the funny part was that they didn’t even introduce themselves yet. He was a little wary about that part; he only hoped no sparks would fly. Before he could say anything the door opened again, and this time it was the lady with the trolley, and he quickly got his money ready.

“Anything off the trolley dears?”         

   Harry waited as Draco got a few snacks and saw Ron’s embarrassed face as he pulled out his homemade sandwiches. He loved homemade food and had wish Severus had made him something, and he had an idea.

“We’ll take the lot,"he exclaimed ignoring his friends faces.

When she had left he turned to Ron, to ask him a question;

“What type of sandwiches did your mum make you?”

“This one is peanut butter and jelly, and that one is roast beef and this one is turkey,” Ron replied ears red.

“Can I half of the peanut butter and roast beef?”

“You want to eat them?” Ron asked shocked.

“Well yea, homemade stuff is always better then store bought stuff. In exchange for the sandwiches you can have whatever you want, I bought it for everyone anyway.”      

      Harry looked at Draco who seemed to be calculating what was going on, and nodded once to himself before he turned to Ron to speak to him.

“We never did introduce ourselves to one another, I’m Draco Malfoy. What’s your name?”

Thankfully unlike before Ron didn’t snicker at Draco’s name and for that Harry was very grateful. But unfortunately he did seem to recognize his last name, and he frowned slightly.

“I’m Ron Weasley, nice to meet you too Draco.”

Harry could see Draco about to say something, and he quickly said something before the first insult could be thrown.

“So what if your fathers hate each other, you don’t even know one another. And you are not your father’s so you guys are not enemies. So don’t even start with the insults, my friends don’t fight with each other over stupid stuff. So what if one you are wealthy and the other isn’t, money or lack of it doesn’t define who you are, you do.”         

   Harry calmly sat down and took a bite of the Peanut butter and Jelly half of his sandwich as they gawked at him in amazement. He ignored them in favor of opening a chocolate frog and shoving it in his mouth. Draco was the first to regain his composure, and Harry watched he looked at Ron for a second before reaching for the other half of the roast beef sandwich, and taking a bite of it. Harry grinned to himself, as Ron grabbed a few snacks from the floor, and they resumed talking. They were all getting along, now all he needed to get was Hermione and maybe Neville and next year definitely Luna. He was staring out the window when the topic changed to the houses at Hogwarts and he turned back to the conversation.

“Which house do you think you’ll be in Ron?” Draco asked, as if he didn’t already know.

“Gryffindor of course, Weasleys always end up there. Well maybe almost all, I know one of my Uncles were in Hufflepuff once, but I don’t know who he was. Where do you think you’ll be Draco?” Ron replied.

“Most of family has either been in Ravenclaw or Slytherin and I’m hoping I go into one of those. My dad really wants me in Slytherin though, but all of the houses each have different qualities so I don’t care where I end up.”

“Even if you were in Hufflepuff, you got to be joking?” Ron replied confused.

“I’m not, at least I was sorted. Besides Hufflepuff is for people who are very loyal to you, I would love to know that my roommates won’t stab me in the back, wouldn’t you?”

“Yea you got a point, but that sounds like something Harry would say, not you. No offence though Draco.”

“None taken, Harry was actually the one who said that to me first,” Draco replied laughing.

“If either of you care, I’m hoping I get into Ravenclaw, thanks for asking” Harry said sarcastically to himself.

Draco had the good sense to look embarrassed that they had been ignoring Harry throughout the conversation. Harry smiled at him to know he wasn’t offended, but Ron couldn’t believe his answer.

“Not Gryffindor, but your parents were in there, weren’t they Harry?”

“Yes they were, but I didn’t know. And I doubt I would end up there, besides I’m a huge bookworm.”

“Yea trust me on that, he knows things he shouldn’t,” Draco put in.

“If you’re worried that I won’t be friends with you because we’re in separate houses, you have nothing to worry about. I promise you both; no matter what happens we’ll be friends till the end," Harry declared rather forcefully and with emotion.

Harry covered his eyes as a bright light suddenly appeared in the compartment and surrounded them. What the hell was going on? He heard Ron and Draco yell out in pain, and then something hit him on the side of the head and he yelled before he passed out. Harry awoke on the floor, with someone’s feet in his back and a hand on his face. He slowly got up, they were still on the train, but it was dark, he assumed they should be there soon. What the heck happened to them? Draco and Ron were asleep on the seats, how did he get on the floor he mused. As he was trying to sort through his confusion the door opened, and just as he expected it was Hermione. He smiled at her as she bossily stated about Neville’s toad being lost.

“I haven’t seen it, but I’ll summon him for you. Accio Trevor the toad,” He stated with his wand in the air.

Trevor came sailing through the air and Harry caught him effortlessly, shaking his head on how many times this toad ran away their first year. He turned to Hermione to hand her Trevor but she was gaping at him in surprise.

“Where did you learn that?”

“I read it in a book.”

“Do you like a read a lot?”

“Yes, that’s why I’m hoping for Ravenclaw what about you?”

“Well I know I would fit in Ravenclaw but the Headmaster was in Gryffindor and I would love to end up in his house.”

Harry shook his head that was why Draco had such a hard time getting Hermione the first time around. Because of how big the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin he was always expected to hate them, and fight with them even when he didn’t want too. Now time to get Hermione to declare herself a Ravenclaw.

“That’s kind of stupid don’t you think? Everyone expects me to end up in Gryffindor because of who my parents were, but I am my own person. I understand you like the Headmaster, but your house if going to be your family for the next 7 years. Would you rather be in a place where they don’t tease you for reading so much, or be in one where they accept you for who you are?” I know what I would pick, but do you? Trust me Hermione when I say I know what it’s like to not have friends, I’ve been there. But you have to remember no matter where you go; no one likes a know-it-all, or a show off, that’s all I’m saying.”

“How did you know my name?

”“You gave it to me when you busted through the door, it would have been rude not to.”

Harry watched as her brow furrowed in confusion at that, he knew she hadn’t introduced herself to him and the look on her face told him that she knew it too. But she couldn’t think of anything to reply to and he sighed when she relaxed her face. He had given her a lot to think on; he only hoped she would choose right this time.

“What’s your name?”

“Harry Potter and please don’t believe everything you read. I promise you that those books lied,” he spoke all this before she could reply that she read about him.

Once again she stared at him suspiciously before taking Trevor and telling him they better get their robes on the train was arriving soon. When she left the compartment was quiet again except for the snores, and he quickly woke up his friends who looked at Harry in shock before Ron spoke;

“Does anyone know what the bloody hell happened to us?”

“I don’t know, I just woke up on the floor, after something hit me in the head. Did the same thing happen to you guys?”

“Yes at first I thought maybe it was a spell, but them something hit my head too and that’s all I remember,” Draco replied.

Shaking their head in confusion they got dressed in their robes. Just as they were finished the train stopped and they looked at one another before breathing deeply once and walking off the train. They stopped on the platform and looked up at their guide, Harry grinned at the rest of the first years gaped at the size of Hagrid.

“Alright there Harry?”

He nodded, and they started walking through the trees. When they ended up in a clearing they could see boats in front of them, they heard Hagrid yell 4 to a boat and they all climbed in. They were joined by Hannah Abbott who Ron couldn’t take his eyes off of, and Harry shook his head wondering how he couldn’t see their relationship the first time around. Harry relaxed in the boat, he knew he had nothing to be afraid of but why was a section of his brain anxious and another part worried. He sat up alarmed and looked at Ron who was chewing on his bottom lip in worry and Draco who was silently talking to himself.

He shook his head, no way he thought, before he could think more on it he heard Hagrid say there she is and he looked up. It was just like the first time he had seen it, Hogwarts was beautiful and he found himself gaping shamelessly along with his friends. They got off the boat and were led through the school by Professor McGonagall who looked the same as always to Harry. As they waited in front of the Great Hall for her to come back, he turned to Draco and Ron and tried to talk them about what might’ve happened to them. They were interrupted by the ghosts behind them, and Harry sighed as the kids screamed around him. Finally they were led in and after Albus delivered his speech, the sorting began just like he remembered with hat singing a song.

“Hannah Abbott, Hufflepuff”

“Susan Bones, Hufflepuff”

“Hermione Granger, Ravenclaw”

Harry clapped loud for her when he heard the hat call out her house, and he looked at Draco who was clapping for her as well as never letting his eyes leave her. He sighed in relief glad that she was able to see reason. Harry tuned out, and looked around the Great Hall at the students and finally the staff table. He could see Professor Quirrel talking to Snape before and Harry caught his eye before turning away when he heard Draco’s name.

“Draco Malfoy, Slytherin”      

      Harry noted that he didn’t walk away from the stool with that cocky walk he did the first time around. And he also noticed that the hat actually deliberated instead of barely touching him before yelling his house, and he clapped as he walked to the Slytherin table.

“Neville Longbottom, Gryffindor”

He was trying to see if anyone else besides Hermione deviated from their original house when he heard his name being called.

“Harry Potter”

There was an instant silence when she called his name then it quickly filled with everyone muttering about him. He forced himself to calm down and he felt Ron squeeze his shoulder once before he walked up to the stool. He smiled at McGonagall as she dropped the hat on his head the brim covering his face; and closing his eyes he waited for it to start. But he got the shock of his life when unlike before the hat didn’t even try to talk to him. It immediately started to call out Slytherin like it did for Draco the first time around. Harry froze for a second in shock and he swore the silence in the hall got louder.

“SLYTH---“was as far as the hat got before Harry put his hands over the mouth of the hat to silence it. Chancing a look around the hall, shock was the dominate expression on everyone’s faces except for Ron and Draco who were grinning openly at him. He held tightly to the hat’s mouth and thought hard about his other sorting. He could actually feel the hat relax on his head but he wasn’t taking any chances.

“Why the bloody hell did you do that for? Do you not know what could happen if you were to send me there?

~ I dare say you would survive just fine Mr. Potter~

“That’s not what I’m worried about at all; I actually like embracing my Slytherin traits.”

~That you do Mr. Potter. Do you think you could release my mouth? ~

“No not until you actually look into my head like you’re supposed to. Because of your big mouth I’m going to have to explain why I was almost sorted into the snake pit of all places. And I don’t think this time around I can be in the lion’s den either, just so were clear.”

~ Mr. Potter, you and I both know Minerva would suffer a breakdown within the first week if you did. Ok let’s take a look in your head shall we? ~~so that’s why you don’t want to be in Slytherin, you’re a time traveler, don’t bother trying to occlude I can see right through it, what brings you back here? ~

“There’s no point of me talking since you can see all inside my mind, just get this over with please.”

~So hasty are we, what’s the rush? This is going to be difficult even more so then before. But your mind is set, and I’m afraid I have to agree with you~

“What do you mean? Now do you see why I can’t be in Slytherin or Gryffindor?”

~Yes you are right, that wouldn’t be wise. In order for your friendships in Gryffindor to flourish they must trust you; the rivalry between the lions and the snakes would make that impossible. Besides what other way to explain how you know things they haven’t taught you yet? Ravenclaw is indeed the best choice for you Mr. Potter. This year is going to be full of things that you haven’t had the experience of dealing with yet~

“What do you mean? Other horrible things are going to happen?”

~No that’s not what I said dear boy, you are still trying to figure out what happened on the train aren’t you? Well that is only the beginning, and trust me this will help you in the future, more then you know~

“So you know what happened, why can’t you just tell me then?”

~Because you have to find it out on your own, enough questions my dear boy. I need to sort you before they wonder what is going on, are you ready Mr. Potter?

“Yep”

~Better be RAVENCLAW! ~     

  Harry pulled off the hat and started walking to the Ravenclaw table before turning back to the staff table to look at Severus. Harry noted that his godfather had a look of relief and confusion in his eyes and he subtly nodded to him as he sat down. Harry turned back to the sorting, and it was Ron’s turn.

“Ron Weasley, Gryffindor”

Harry clapped as Ron was sorted and after Blaise Zabini was sorted into Slytherin the sorting was over, and he clapped again. He was starving so he knew Ron must be too, and grinned at that. After dinner they all gathered together to follow the prefect to their tower when Harry was unexpectantly grabbed by Percy Weasley and he looked at him in confusion.

“The Headmaster wants to see you Harry.”

“He wants to see me tonight, as in right now?”

“That’s what he said, his password is jolly ranchers.”

Harry smiled and headed to the Headmaster’s office to see what Albus wanted. As he went through the door to his office, it was empty and Fawkes was nowhere around. He said hello to all the portraits before trilling in phoenixa. He appeared in a flash of fire and Harry stared at the bird.

*Do you know why he wants to talk to me about Fawkes?*

*No, but this would be the perfect opportunity to let him in on our little secret.*

“I know, would he believe me is the real question?*

*He will, I know it, trust me when I say he knows there is something different about you*

*Ok Fawkes I’ll tell him, because if I don’t I’ll end up telling a random person because it’ll come out by itself.*

*Here he comes Harry*

*Hey Fawkes could you maybe…*

*Of course Harry, I’m here for you*      

      Harry heard the door open behind him, and knew Albus wasn’t alone. He sighed when he heard Severus behind him. Shoot, how was he suppose to fix the hat’s blunder, Severus was looking at him with an unreadable expression.

“Hi,” he whispered bracing himself for Snape’s disappointment for not getting into Slytherin.

“I’m not angry Harry,” Severus replied as he took in the tenseness of the child’s face.

“Good,” he breathed in relief. “Why am I here?”

“I just want to know what happened with your sorting; the hat almost sorted you in Slytherin. Why did you cover its mouth before it could finish? You do know there is nothing wrong with being in Slytherin right?”

Harry shook his head, stupid hat now Severus thinks that he had the prejudice that Sirius had against the snakes.

“I know that, you’re the head of Slytherin Uncle, and I have a pet snake remember? But just like you would be disappointed if I ended up in Gryffindor, Sirius would feel the same way if I ended up in Slytherin. I’m sorry but I didn’t want to disappoint either of you.”         

   Severus sighed, he never wanted to put this kind of pressure on the child; he was doing the exact same thing Black was doing to the child. He would have to talk to Lupin soon, constantly making the child feel as if he had to choose one godfather over the other wasn’t going to help him at all.

“Harry I’m sorry child, I never meant to make you feel that way. Although I hate Gryffindor I would never hate you. Besides it was your parent’s house anyway. Don’t worry about Black or Lupin I will tell them what house you got in when I floo call them tonight.”

“That’s ok I like where I am now, and I’m allowed to have friends in other houses too so it all works out.” 

“Well let me just congratulate you on getting into Ravenclaw, and I couldn’t out there. If you ever need me you know where our quarters are, and you can come anytime. Just try to make sure no one else knows ok?”

“Yes Uncle Severus,” He replied.

“That’s another thing, in class I will be Professor Snape only. Try not to forget that alright?”“

Yes sir”

“I’ll see you on Friday for potions,” Severus said as he walked out of the office.“

Headmaster what did you want to talk to me about?”

“Nothing Harry, Fawkes told me you needed to speak with me urgently.”

“He did, gee thanks for that. Meddling old bird,” Harry muttered to the amusement of Albus.

“Where do I start,” Harry whispered to himself.

“The beginning is usually the best child,” Albus replied.

“I’m not from this time; I came back into the past from the future.” Harry stated wistfully getting lost in his memories.“I know it sounds hard to believe but it’s all true. Thanks to Fawkes he told me of an ancient spell, which allows the castor to go back with his memories intact. I am in fact 153 years old, well now 154 I just recently had a birthday.”

Harry opened his pouch and took out pictures of him and his children. Their names were written on the bottom of each picture and he pointed it them out to Albus.

“That’s James Sirius, Lily Luna, and that little guy is Albus Severus. I named him after two of Hogwarts greatest Headmasters ever. What can I get to make you believe me Albus?” Harry said wearily.

 Right after he asked that question he knew what he could show him, he silently and wandlessy accioed the Headmaster’s Pensive and put his memory into it. Neither said anything as they plunged in, when they emerged out Harry was cautiously watching Albus who had a peculiar expression his face.

“What did you come back for Harry?”

Harry breathed a sigh of relief, before telling Albus a lot of things but not everything; after all too much knowledge at one time isn’t good, then he let him in on his current task.

“Before you ask, sometimes my adult mind gets pushed back into my head and my 11 year old logic comes into play. That’s on the day where I am so immature; ask Severus about it, he’ll tell you.”

“He knows?”

“No he doesn’t, but he does know that I tend to act more mature or immature on any given situation. But on to more important things, have you ever heard of Horcruxes Albus?”

“Yes, why do you ask Harry?”“

Well Voldermort made 7 of them,” Harry calmly replied.

“He did what,” Albus asked horrified.”

“Just what I said and I with the help of my friends found them and destroyed them all.”

“What about me, why didn’t I help you on your journey?”

Harry said nothing, what could he say? He was determined not to let it happen again, so he guessed he could tell him.

“You were already dead by then.”

“How did I die?”

“You made an unbreakable vow with Severus that he would kill you so Draco Malfoy wouldn’t have too.”

“What did you just say? How did that come to pass?”

“I can’t talk about it tonight, its already late Headmaster. I can’t occlude well in this body and I don’t really want to have nightmares on my first day back here.”

“Of course you’re right Harry, do continue about the Horcruxes. So he made 7 of them do you still know what they are?”

“Yes, I currently have 2 in my possession, but I know where all of them are. I just can’t get them with Severus or Sirius around me all the time.”

“I’ll think of something Harry, so we can get the rest.”

“You are only able to help me get 3 of them, the other 2 I’m not letting either of them near you. And before you ask, the first time around you were cursed from one of them, and even if Sev wouldn’t have killed you, you still would have died by it. Oh and on easier note, would it be possible for all 4 of the houses to have a few classes together? I just made friends with Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy, Gryffindor and Slytherin respectively. I don’t have a class with both of them could you make it possible?”          

  Harry yawned quietly as Albus took in all he said.  As he relaxed in his chair he mused why he was so tired for some reason. He never did hear Albus reply that he thought his idea of a class with the 4 houses was a good idea to promote interhouse friendships. He had closed his eyes for just a second, and he fell asleep instantly.        

    Severus shook his head; he really needed to tone his dislike for the lion’s house if Harry was able to catch on to that. He tried to remember when he first started talking to Lupin to discuss Harry; it was strange now that they have a friendship of sorts.

“Lupin, do you have a moment to talk?

”“Yes I do Severus, has Harry been sorted?”

“He has,” was all Severus replied.

“So where was he sorted then? Although I’m pretty sure, he was sorted in Gryffindor like his parents.”

“Is Black with you?”

“Yea he’s right next to me.”

“The hat called out Slytherin, the minute it was placed on Harry’s head.”        

    Severus was waiting for Lupin’s answer when he heard a choking sound followed by a thump on the other side of the floo.

“So he was sorted into Slytherin?” Remus asked wearily.

“What was that noise?”

“Oh Sirius fainted,” Remus replied grimacing.

Severus stifled the grin that threatened to explode on his face at that admission.

“No Harry covered its mouth before it could finish, he was sorted into Ravenclaw. Sometime this week we all need to talk, Harry was afraid of disappointing both me and Black if he ended up in the opposite house. I understand that he begged the hat to sort him into Ravenclaw.”

“Wow, well he is a smart kid, but I do agree a talk is in order. I’ll floo call you tomorrow, right now though gonna go restart Sirius’s heart. Couldn’t you just have told us first that he was sorted into Ravenclaw?”

“Where’s the fun in that? I’ll see you Lupin.” Severus shook his head and got his things ready for tomorrow.

Chapter End Notes:
Always review please and thank you

Flamers...your so not welcome here