Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I dont like the way this chapter came out thats why I took so long updating it....Argghh the next one will be better I promise

Its a good size Chapter...14 pages to make up for taking so long

*There is an excerpt from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Ch. 8 that belongs to JKR I just borrowed them*
Chapter 13: Return to Classes

          Harry woke up the next morning, in his bedroom in Snape’s quarters, how did he get here? The last thing he remembered was talking in the Headmaster’s office about Horcruxes. He looked at the clock, it was 6:00am he grabbed his clothes and headed to the bathroom. When he was dressed he went to the kitchen and ordered breakfast and was calmly eating when Severus walked in. They stared at each other silently for a minute, before he spoke.

“When did you get here Harry?”

“I don’t know, all I remember is falling asleep in the Headmaster’s office. Weren’t you here when he dropped me off?”

“No I was in my lab until very early this morning, are you ready to start your classes today?”

“Not really,” Harry replied shaking his head.

“Why not, are you scared Harry?”

“A little I guess,” Harry said to but if he was being honest he knew they were all going to be boring except potions because he knew everything they were going to be learning.

“Don’t be, you’ll be fine I promise.”        

    Harry nodded and soon left their quarters, since he had already eaten breakfast he headed to the library. After saying a cheerful hello to Madam Pince who looked at him suspiciously when he walked in he settled into a chair in the corner. Opening his knapsack he pulled out his to do list, and scratched off the things he had done already. He heard the first bell ring and he quickly ran to his first class, Transfigurations. As he headed into the classroom, he took a look around at his classmates.

From what he could see, there were only 5 kids from every house for a total of 20 kids per class. He was glad that he was in a class with all his friends. He took a seat in the middle, next to Hermione, which was right next to Ron and Draco. He turned around to talk to them ignoring the incredulous looks they were getting.

“After class we need to talk, I think I know what happened to us on the train yesterday.”

“What happened?” Draco asked.

“After class if we have time,” Harry repeated.         

   He watched as more students walked in and got settled and he couldn’t resist getting up to pet the ‘cat’ on the desk. He whispered hi to her and was rewarded with a cat glare, and he hid a smile as he sat back at his desk. Class was just like he remembered the first time, and he was extremely bored. He turned his match into a needle before laying his head on the desk and falling asleep. He was jostled awake by Hermione when the bell rang, and as he was getting his things together he heard his Professor call him back.

“Mr. Potter, would you please explain why you fell asleep in my class? I don’t think Severus would appreciate hearing what happened on your first day of school.”

“I’m sorry Professor but after I transfigured the match, there wasn’t anything else for me to do.”

“I was under the impression that you didn’t do your work. Can you please show me how you did it?"

Harry watched as she conjured a match, and he gently waved his wand around softly speaking the incantation. Just like before a needle stood in place of the match, and he glanced back at her through his bangs. She was standing there with pride shining clearly through her eyes.

“10 points to Ravenclaw Mr. Potter”

“Thank you so much Professor.”

“Mr. Potter, I must ask you something. Did today’s lesson seem easy to you in anyway?”

“Yes Ma’m”

“Interesting, I don’t suppose you knew that your father was rather gifted in Transfigurations. It seems that you have inherited the talent from him.”

Harry watched as she remained thoughtful, before she handed him a pass to his next class. Not really knowing what that was about, but hoping that it meant that he would be upped up to a more advanced class he headed to his next class. Charms passed pretty much the same way and he found himself trying to stay awake for the rest of his classes. He would have to find something to do otherwise he would go crazy. By the time lunch rolled around he was already wishing it was summer. He sat down at the table and focused on his food, when he felt rather then saw someone behind him.

“Mr. Potter, detention tonight 7:00pm. Don’t be late, or I’ll double it.”

Harry raised an eyebrow, what the hell did he do? Did McGonagall tell Severus about this morning? He shook his head, wondering if protesting his innocence would work.

“What am I serving detention for sir?”

“As if you didn’t know, you and I both know what you did.” The man replied cryptically.       

     At that Harry was clearly confused, but he assumed Snape probably just wanted to talk with him and this was the easiest way too. Man the life of a double agent was tiring; he didn’t know how Snape kept it up.

“Yes sir, I’ll see you at 7.”        

    Wondering what on earth was going to happen at 7pm that day, he didn’t even have time to feel bored in his afternoon classes, something for which he was grateful for. He arrived in front of his Professor’s office at 6:57pm, after coming straight from dinner. As he knocked he was trying to figure out the tone of his teacher, when it opened.

“What am I going to be doing for my detention sir?”Harry watched at Snape sighed before waving his wand and putting up privacy charms around his office before turning to speak to him.

“You’re not in trouble Harry; I just wanted to talk to you about how your first day went. So how did you like your classes?”

“They were fine Uncle Severus, a bit boring though.”

“That’s to be expected, things are usually boring when you don’t understand them yet.”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, guess McGonagall didn’t talk with him yet, that sucks. He didn’t want to have to redo his first year, not when he remembered everything plain as day. Time to take things into his own hands again; he only hoped it didn’t backfire on him.

“Professor McGonagall didn’t talk to you then?”

“Talk to me about what? Don’t tell me you got in trouble your first day Harry, did you?” Severus asked sighing softly.

“No sir, I just might’ve fallen asleep in class this morning is all.” Harry stated blushing a bit.

“You fell asleep, in Transfigurations of all classes?” Severus asked appalled.

“I didn’t mean to, I just, it was boring Uncle Sev.” Harry replied cheekily.

“That doesn’t give you the right to fall asleep. Its call school for a reason, it’s not supposed to be fun. I can’t believe this Harry, just when I think that you aren’t like your father, you do something to prove me wrong. I thought you wanted to be just Harry? Since you’re already here, you can scrub those cauldrons in the sink, and think about what you did.”

 Severus shook his head, and he thought Harry was going to behave. Leave it for his godson to get in trouble on the very first day of school.

“You’re giving me detention, for what?”

“Falling asleep in class, plain and simple, I suggest you hop too it. Unless you want to have another one tomorrow, I didn’t think so, get to work.”      

      Harry sighed loudly, that didn’t go as plan, that wasn’t what was supposed to happen he was supposed to tell him how fast he turned his match into a needle. And then Severus was supposed to floo call Minerva to clarify it, and because he was his guardian he would allow him to take upper classes. What the hell? Trying futilely to resist the childish urge to stick his tongue out at the man who was now calmly sitting at his desk grading papers, Harry went into the classroom and waited until he was sure Snape couldn’t see him and gave into his childish urge. He couldn’t resist the muttering under his breath as he worked.

“And they wonder why they call him the greasy bat of the dungeons; he didn’t even bother to listen. Stupid, bat, bah, I hate it when he does this. Scrub cauldrons my arse, why don’t he come do it himself, they belong to him anyways. What does he think I am his slave, no worse I’m his freak.”

Harry suddenly stopped talking when the taste of soap invaded his mouth, and he turned to face his godfather in shock.

“What the fuck Snape?” Harry asked thoughtlessly around a mouthful of soap.      

      Harry mentally slapped himself he was a moron, his godfather’s expression was livid. Dummy he thought to himself, next time think before you speak.

“What did you just say Mr. Potter?” Snape's eyes flashed dangerously.

Severus could not believe what the child had just said. Besides his blatant disrespect by calling him by his last name, he had to up and swear now. He stood up and walked over to Harry who by now was pleading at him with his eyes.

“Nothing sir,” Harry quietly replied.

“That didn’t sound like nothing Mr. Potter. Do you remember what I said would happen if you continued to refer to yourself as a freak, do you not? But I don’t believe I ever went over what would be your punishment if you used bad language did I?”

Harry shook his head furiously; surely it couldn’t be so bad right? After all he had already tasted soap what’s the worse that could happen?

“Go stand in the corner Mr. Potter, and if I find any soap on the floor your punishment will be doubled. Put your nose to the wall, now Harry.”        

    Harry went and stood with his face so close to the wall he bet his tongue would touch it, if he stuck it out. His face was burning, what if someone came in and saw? This was a baby’s punishment, not to mention just plain humiliating. Frowning at that he accidently swallowed a bit of the soap and nearly choked, this stuff was disgusting. How long was he going to have to stand here for anyway? He sighed, before resuming his thoughts on his current situation.      

      Severus shook his head, the nerve of the child, was this the start of a bit of childhood rebellion? The disrespect in just one little sentence had really shocked him. Granted he did you know the child was capable of swearing having heard it when he defended him against Black, but to curse at your guardian. What was the matter with the child? Severus let him stay in the corner for the next 15 minutes, and when he called him back the boy’s teeth were gritted and his fists were clenched. If he was still angry and wanted to argue Severus had no such qualms about sending him back to the corner. He banished the soap away, making sure the soap taste would remain in his mouth as a reminder of what would happen if he did it again.

“Mr. Potter, can you please explain to me why you chose to use such language, and in front of a Professor no less?”

“It just slipped out, Merlin it won’t happen again alright?” Harry replied annoyed.

“Watch the attitude Harry, unless you would like to get reacquainted with the wall.”

“I’m sorry sir,” Harry responded sarcastically with his teeth clenched in anger.

“I don’t think you are, return to the corner Mr. Potter.” Severus replied he was getting tired of the attitude.

Severus noticed that Harry looked mad enough to spit fire, but he wasn’t about to let any child especially not his godson disrespect him. He did go back to the corner and 20 minutes later he called the child back.

“Do not let it happen again, I can assure you the next punishment won’t be so light. Now what did you want to tell me?

”“It won’t sir, what do you mean by that?” Harry asked warily. His legs hurt from standing for so long and all he wanted to do now was lay down.

 “What happened in Transfigurations today, why did you fall asleep? I want the real answer Harry, not that nonsense you sprouted when you came in here.”

“Yes sir, I fell asleep because I was the only one to transfigure the match into a needle. Class started to get really boring after that and I didn’t know what else to do.”

“You transfigured a match to a needle on your first try?”

“Yes sir”

“How did you do that Harry?”

“I just did what she told me to do sir.”

“Are you sure you didn’t do anything else?”

“No sir”

“This is peculiar, first the potion, the silencing charm, and now this. You are amazing wizard Harry, and already powerful at this age. How did Minerva react when you preformed the spell?”

“She was in shock; at first she didn’t believe me until I did it in front of her eyes.”

“I will speak to her about this, and then we’ll both decide whether you should take advance classes with her. You may go Harry your finished here, and remember what I said you can come whenever you need me.”

“Yes Uncle Severus I will, and thanks.”

Harry walked out of the room with a slight bounce in his step; tricking Severus was getting harder to do. You could only out Slytherin a Slytherin for so long before they caught on. He headed to the loo to rinse the taste of soap out of his mouth; he would have to think of another word because saying freak just wasn’t worth it. The week passed by slowly for Harry until it was finally Friday, and potions class. He was mentally chanting to himself that anything Snape may or may not say was all an act and he would never treat Harry like that.

He only hoped he would be able to get a grip on his childish reactions; there were worse things than words that can hurt you. He met Ron and Draco outside of the great hall after lunch and they walked to the dungeons together. He was very happy that Albus had made sure that Potions and Transfigurations were the classes that had all 4 houses. Too be honest he wasn’t all that surprised, Snape and McGonagall were the only one who could really control that many kids. The doors to the dungeons slammed opened and they all hurried into the classroom to get a seat. Because of Hermione they were forced to sit in the first two rows up front, instead of the middle like he was hoping. He sat next to Draco, ignoring Ron’s look for making him get stuck with Hermione.

Everyone was quiet and even though Harry knew what was coming he still jumped when he heard the doors open and his Professor walk in. He really could be quite menacing when he wanted to be, that look was enough to make anyone pay attention. Harry got his quill and parchment ready, only this time he wasn’t going to get into trouble for taking notes. Thanks to the war, the art of multi-tasking was a must and he learned to watch and write well, it also helped when he was brewing potions.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.”

Severus spoke softly and looked at each and every child in his classroom, they were terrified of him yes, but they were quiet. That was how he liked his classroom, his eyes quickly searched for a victim, to see who read their textbooks before coming to class. He looked at Harry who was watching him with wide eyes, but it was Severus who was shocked. Why in the world was he sitting next to Lucius’s son? He didn’t really want to do this but if Draco told his father about this class and he had no doubts that he would, then his cover would most certainly be in jeopardy. Hopefully Harry wouldn’t take this to the heart like he did last time Severus got into character.

Harry knew the minute Snape glanced at Draco, and then looked at him that he was about to be attacked. Well it was better him then Neville or Ron right? He was hoping this time around he could befriend Neville earlier too and try to uncover that courage that only came out in their 5th year. He took a deep a breath and got ready, was he supposed to pretend to not know the answers or just risk answering correctly.

"Potter!" said Snape. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry knew the answer to that one of course, just recently Severus had told him about the dangers of that particular potion. He could feel anxiety that he knew wasn’t his in the back of his mind, and at the same time he felt fear. What was going on he wasn’t afraid of Severus, these were not his emotions. Not wanting to chance at look at his friends he stared silently back at his teacher, making sure confusion was evident on his face. The dark eyes of his godfather stared back at his emerald ones unblinking and he had to look away when it got to be too much.

"Let's try again, Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

“Uh, in the stomach of a goat?”

“Are you asking or answering Potter?”

“Answering sir, it’s found in the stomach of a goat.”

“Of course you would know that, my nephew who just recently learned of the magical world already knows that.”

Harry couldn’t resist the eyebrow that rose of his own accord at Snape’s admission. Did the man just praise and ridicule him in one sentence? He shook his head, he would think on that later.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkswood and wolfsbane?"

“I don’t know sir,” Harry replied eyes downcast and hands making fists underneath the table. He occluded away the childish feeling and relaxed his muscles; there was no reason to get so upset when he knew that this was in no way like the first time around.

"For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkswood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite.”

“Yes sir”

“Clearly fame isn’t everything Potter,” Snape sneered.

Harry was glaring at his desk, his teeth trying not to bite a hole through his lip. Trying to rein in his temper because he had no intention of losing house points, he quietly sighed to himself only due to the silence of the classroom everyone heard it.

“Oh am I boring you Potter, or are you just angry that you don’t know everything? That will be 10 points from Ravenclaw for your disrespect of my classroom.”

Shocked at that Harry bit clear through his lip and quickly stopped a whimper from coming out. Sucking his bottom lip inward he could taste the coppery blood in his mouth and it was making him a bit queasy. Although he had enough sense not to say anything or draw any more attention to himself, he ignored Draco’s questioning glance.

“Well why haven’t you all written it down?” Snape lectured.

Harry stayed to prepare their work station while Draco went to get the ingredients from the cabinets, he knew that Snape like to make rounds around the classroom so he kept his head down. He had really taken a chunk out of his lip for his mouth was full of blood and he hoped he wouldn’t have to answer any more questions. Just like before Neville ended up exploding his cauldron, and when he Snape rounded on him it was Draco who came to his rescue.

“Potter, why didn’t you think to tell him not to add that ingredient? Thought it make you look good when he failed? That’s 20 more points from Ravenclaw and detention tonight at 7.”

“Professor, Harry had nothing to do with that. How could you even think he could? We are sitting in the second row on the left side of the classroom; Longbottom is in the second to last row on the right side. How in the world could Harry think to help him when were struggling with our own?”

Severus stared at the Malfoy heir with concealed shock, he wasn’t aware that Draco and Harry were on a first name basis. Seeing as Harry was a Ravenclaw no one batted an eye that Draco had defended Harry, he knew the results would be different had he been in Gryffindor. He would need to talk to Harry about the risks of having a friendship with Draco, who was under his father’s influence.

“Weasely take Longbottom to the infirmary.”

Harry watched Ron leave with envy, he wish he could’ve taken Neville to the infirmary. What he wouldn’t do to have a rubbish bin? The blood in his mouth was making him more and more nauseated the longer it stayed in his mouth. He and Draco quickly cleaned up their area and handed their potion to the Professor and waited for the bell. When it rang Draco grabbed Ron’s bag and Harry’s who was running out the classroom only to stop when he heard his name being called to stay back.

“Mr. Potter, a word with you in my office if you please?”

It sounded like a question but everyone including Harry knew that the teacher wasn’t asking him anything, he was telling. Harry grimaced and contemplated just leaving anyway to suffer the consequences later. But of course Snape noticed his hesitation, that man caught everything.

“That was not a request Mr. Potter, meet me in my office.”

Harry sighed and walked back to the front of the classroom, waving at his friends on the way out. He stepped into the office and waited by the bookshelf not sure what to do. He could feel the sick taste of saliva you get in your mouth before you sick up mix with the blood in his mouth. Where in the world was the man’s rubbish bin? Finally when the last student was out he watched Severus come to his office and warded the door with charms, before turning to look at Harry. Harry by now was quite pale, but he didn’t say anything.

Severus noticed the child’s expression and took it as fear of his punishment. Hopefully this time Harry knew that what happened in class was just an act, and that didn’t reflect on how he really felt about the child. At the moment the boy looked like he might pass out, and he had a sheen of sweat on his forehead.

“Harry you can sit down you aren’t in trouble I promise you child. Do you understand what I did today?”

Harry nodded quickly, because he couldn’t speak.

“A verbal answer if you would Harry, did my words hurt you at all today?”

Harry finally opened his mouth but it wasn’t to speak, his gag reflex had finally made itself known. He quickly put his hand over his mouth eyes wide, looking back at Snape who was already pushing a rubbish bin in his hands. Removing his hand knowing he could finally spit, but out came his entire lunch too. He felt a comforting hand rubbing his back and a wet towel on his neck, and Snape murmuring quietly to himself.

“So I didn’t make you cry this time, I only made you sick. That’s not really an improvement when you think about it. I never thought I’d ask a child this, but Harry what part of my words made you sick?”

Harry finally finished sicking up and was grateful when his godfather banished the mess away and handed him a stomach calming potion. Sighing in relief when the potion kicked in he reached into his pocket for a chocolate frog to take away the bad taste in his mouth.

“The part when I sighed and you said I disrespected your classroom. I accidently bit my lip and the blood spilled into my mouth.”

“And I assume it stayed in your mouth the entire class?”  Why didn’t you ask to be excused?”

“Because I don’t know, who’s to say you would let me go anyway?”

“Harry I know I have to pretend to hate you out there, but I would never deny a child the right to use the loo. Surely you know that don’t you? No of course you don’t, damn Durselys. Let me see your lip Harry.”

Severus gently took a look at the child’s lip, was he part vampire? He had bitten clear through the skin; taking his wand he quickly healed it. He hoped this wouldn’t be an occurring behaviour hurting oneself was not good in any way.

“Do I still have detention Uncle Severus?”

“Yes, we do have parts to play Harry. Although between you and me I thought we could play a game of chess or you can finish your homework. Which would you prefer child?”

“Chess of course,” Harry grinned.

“Brat, I’ll see you at 7 Harry. I believe your friends are making sure that I haven’t killed you. By the way are you and Draco friends?”

“Yes he, Ron and Hermione are my best friends.”

“A Malfoy is friends with a muggleborn and what the dark wizards call a blood traitor, not to mention the boy-who-lived?”

“Draco is not his father Uncle Severus, just like I’m not mine.”

“I know that Harry just promise me to be careful anyway. Go on get out of here”

“Bye”

Harry walked out of the office after hugging his Uncle bye and went out to meet his friends. They headed to the library to start on their homework, and once they found a hidden spot they got too it. After 20 minutes of working Harry excused himself and headed to the 7th floor to the Room of Requirement. He paced three times in front of a wall making sure that no one was around him. He was thinking about a place to hide something and a door appeared like he knew it would.

He headed inside the room to the place where he knew Ravenclaw’s Diadem was hidden. Grabbing it quickly he opened his pouch and set it in the box with the locket and closed it. Now he had two of those evil things he was off to a great start he knew. Hopefully the Headmaster would be able to come up with something so they could go get the ring. Even though Harry wasn’t about to let the old man near it, he still had no idea where the Gaunt house was specifically so he needed Albus. He just had to make sure that he was able to protect him from the charm on it that possessed him to put it on last time. He headed out the exit and walked a ways from the Room of Requirement where he bumped straight into the Weasley twins. Looking at them brought back some bittersweet memories.

 After the war George had married and had a son he named after his fallen twin, but the light in his eyes was never fully there like it was when Fred was alive. Not really knowing what to say Harry noticed that they had a old piece of parchment in their hands. Was it really possible to have two Marauders’ map, he had his from his time, and now he’d seen one from this world. Or would they combine themselves, was it the same with his cloak? Oh well he would get a chance to see at Christmas when the Headmaster gave it to him.

“Hello Gred, Forge. Can I ask where you got the Marauders’ map from?”

Harry was rewarded with to shocked expressions that he grinned at, and he got himself prepared to listen to how they usually spoke. As annoying as it was, he did miss them finishing each other’s sentences.

“Oy Forge, how did this ickle...”

“Firstie know about the map and not just...”

“Any firstie, but the boy-who-lived. Shouldn’t we be...”

“Asking him about it?”

Harry grinned again, man he loved these guys.

“My father was Prongs if you were wondering. One of my godfather’s is Padfoot, and my Uncle is Moony.”

“You forgot about one, what...”

“About Wormtail?”

“He’s a traitor, so he doesn’t count.”

“We’re not worthy, we’re not worthy,” they exclaimed together.

Harry laughed outright at that, it was hilarious just like the last time.

“So guys can I see the map?”

“Of course, you can have it Harry since...”

“It’s rightfully yours, could we just...”

“Borrow it when we need it?”

“Sure you can, I guess I’ll see you around?”

“Yes, anytime you need help with a prank, we will...”

“Be of service to you as long as you don’t wish...”

“To hurt anyone with your pranks, if you do then I’m afraid...”

“That we cannot help you with them.”

“That’s fine guys, and I would never do that I’m not a bully.”

“Just making sure Harry.”

Harry waved them goodbye, thankful that the conversation was over. He was so dizzy from following their words; he quickly headed back to the library. How was he going to explain his absence without rousing their suspicion, I mean who would believe that he was in the loo for 45 minutes?

“Harry where you have you been? We’ve already finished Charms and we are now working on Potions. You’re going to be behind us Harry,” Hermione asked already going back to her paper.

“Where were you mate?” Ron asked.

“I went to the loo.”

“Yea right Harry, you were in the loo for that long? I don’t believe it.” Draco remarked.

“Fine, I ran into Fred and George.”

“What did they do to you?” Ron asked in horror.

“Nothing Ron, we just talked.”

“They let you go without pranking you?” Hermione asked.

“Yup, they were really nice, although confusing to talk too.”

“You won’t be saying that when they prank you. Don’t trust anything they give you especially candy.” Ron warned him seriously.

They all laughed at Ron’s warning but Harry knew it was true, having fallen victim to a canary cream before. They soon went back to the homework, eager to get it done before dinner.

Chapter End Notes:
Anyways I hope you liked it..if not ehh..I didnt either lol