Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the longest chapter so far,and I hope it came out alright

The healing process continues...another speedy update so I hope you guys like it.
Chapter 10

 

Harry was working himself into a state, and the hour passed by quickly as he tried to figure out how he was gonna hide this from Snape. He chewed on his bottom lip worriedly as Snape called him. Harry slowly trudged his feet towards the man's study. Taking a deep breath he walked through the open door and took a seat in front of the man’s desk. Harry forced himself to relaxed, though he was anything but calm.

Severus looked up from his grading to see the Harry sitting stiffly in the chair across from him. He could actually feel the fear rolling of his body in waves and he sighed. He stood up and walked over to the bookshelf to grab a book on mind magic. He now knew that teaching the child the way that he was taught wasn’t the correct way. He would have to go a bit slower, as he didn’t want to shatter any of the fragile trust already between them.

“Harry; are you ready?” Severus asked breaking the silence in the room.

“Yes sir,” Harry said as he slowly stood up, fists clenching as he tried to stop his hands from trembling.

“Where is your wand?” Severus asked gently, noticing the lack of said item in his hands.

“Upstairs in my room,” Harry replied softly.

“Why is it upstairs and not on your person?” Severus asked a bit shocked.

“Since I’m not allowed to use magic outside of school, I didn’t see a point to carrying it sir,” Harry replied honestly.

Severus nodded, though he didn’t agree at all with what the child had said he was going to let it go. It was so easy to get sidetracked but he knew that if Harry mastered Occulmency it would put him one step closer to defeating the Dark Lord.

“I want you to read the first page of that right now, and when you get done I will teach the basics on how to block someone from entering into your mind.” Severus explained.

“Read this; but how come I didn’t have to before?” Harry asked confused for a moment as he looked up at his Professor.

“Because I wasn’t aware that you had no clue what I meant by clear your mind,” Severus replied, refusing to acknowledge that he blatantly ignored the boy when he had in fact told him that he had no idea what that even meant.

Harry nodded not wanting to argue that he had vehemently told the man that he didn’t know what to do in the past. He sat down with the book and tried to concentrate on the words on the pages but he couldn’t. He was going over the words that Sirius wanted to say and he knew in his heart that they weren’t right. He didn’t believe in the slightest what Sirius had told him to say, and he knew that Snape was bound to find out like always. Harry was dismayed at the hurt he felt in his chest that his Professor might be disappointed in him when he found out the truth.

After a solid 5 minutes of not understanding in the slightest what he was reading, Harry put the book down in a huff before turning to look at the man across from him. He took a deep breath, now was the time to summon that Gryffindor courage because this guilt was starting to eat him alive.

“Snape, I have to tell you something,” Harry said softly in the quiet room.

Severus looked up from his notes and stared questioningly at the boy, as he held his gaze. Normally he would be yelling and taking points at the disrespect by the child calling him by his last name, but he had learned a few things about the child these past few days. He would rather be called Snape then Professor; when the latter meant that he was uncomfortable or scared.

“What is Harry?” Severus asked conversationally.

“I don’t really understand what I’m reading,” Harry said wincing inwardly at his cowardice.

He didn’t want Snape to find out during the lesson, but he didn’t think he could tell the man himself. He listened at the man explained the first page and his heart sank as Snape said that he was going to enter his mind in a few moments. He got himself mentally prepared for the painful intrusion as he stared at his teacher.

 “When I enter your mind, I won’t be searching for any memories yet. First I want you to find my presence and come to me,” Severus explained gently, making sure that the boy understood.

“How do I that?” Harry asked quietly, feeling stupid for not knowing what his Professor meant.

“You’ll know Harry, you’ll feel it.” Severus answered.

Harry nodded at him to let him know that he was ready, as he braced himself.

“Legilimens,” Severus said softly before he entered the child’s mind.

Harry was shocked that it didn’t hurt this time as Snape entered his mind, but he couldn’t dwell on it as he realized that he could literally feel the man as he said he would. He smiled before walking towards the man, who staring at something behind him. Harry shrugged before standing in front of him.

“I did it Professor,” Harry said a pride evident in his voice.

“That you did Harry, now I will try to grab at a memory. Your job is to try and stop me, basically make a shield of sorts in your mind. My shield is of water, which can be very dangerous if it’s used right.” Severus explained.

“Does it have to be an element?” Harry asked curiously.

“Not at all, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you what Albus’s is.” Severus said barely preventing his lips from twitching into a grin as he remembered.

“What is it?” Harry asked excitedly.

“Once you grasp the concept of it, I’m sure that he will allow you to see yourself.” Severus said cryptically. He was after all a teacher, and he knew that children tended to work harder if rewards were involved.

“Ok, I’ll try to work really hard,” Harry said, wanting to know what almost made Snape laugh.

“Try to stop me from seeing,” Severus said before he was grabbing at a random memory.

Severus was conscious of the fact that the memories that Harry had been actively thinking on were in front, and he searched for something that would explain the bruise on Harry’s face. About 2 minutes of him seeing what he wanted; though he can feel Harry trying to fight him, he came across a memory that was different from all the others. For starters this one was covered in a dark gray mist.

“What are you hiding from me child?” Severus asked curiously as a gray mist seemed to be blocking only one specific memory. What didn’t the boy want him to see?

“Stop, wait Snape,” Harry yelled out, not sure how he was blocking his teacher from seeing and not knowing how long the shield would hold.

“You’re doing amazing Harry, you can do it,” Severus encouraged, as he didn’t seem to be able to find a way through or around the mist.

“I need to take a break,” Harry desperately said as the mist started to clear, or at least it seemed that way to him.

“Alright Harry, we can take a break,” Severus said before he withdrew from Harry’s mind.

Harry was breathing hard, a part of him was ecstatic to know that he had successfully blocked a part of his mind, though he still had no clue just how he did it. He didn’t know if that trick would work again, and he just wanted to be free from what he was feeling.

“I have to…tell you something sir,” Harry said the last part of his sentence coming out in a whisper.

“Tell me what Harry?” Severus asked quietly.

“I talked to Sirius today,” Harry said softly as his shoulder hunched reflexively as he waited for the hit that would never come.

“Oh you did?” Severus replied casually, but inside he was seething. He knew it!

“Yes sir, I did.” Harry confirmed quietly.

“And where was the wolf when all this happened?” Severus asked tensely.

“Answering the floo,” Harry said swallowing audibly.

“You’re telling me the wolf didn’t hear you leave?” Severus asked skeptically.

“He was downstairs,” Harry answered barely audible.

“Enough of the half answers Harry. Why didn’t the wolf notice you leave the room? Where exactly were you when he was downstairs?” Severus said calmly, though inside he was anything but.

“I was upstairs in the bathroom,” Harry replied honestly. He was looking directly at the man and he had false hope that the man would end the questioning there.

“I see; and did you really have to go or was it just a ploy?” Severus said as his dark eyes focused on Harry’s green ones, daring him to lie.

“It was a ploy,” Harry mumbled as his face burned in shame.

“I see, and I guess the whole; I have to see Lupin, was all just a ploy as well?” Severus said swallowing the taste of betrayal that the boy would use his own conflicting emotions against him that way. Although if he was honest with himself, he was quiet proud of the Slytherin way that the boy went about this. It was just the fact that he endangered his life, which made him angry. Why would the child do this?

“I really did want to see Remus,” Harry said weakly.

“That wasn’t what I asked, did you plan this Potter?” Severus asked, unintentionally going back to his last name.

“Yes sir,” Harry said bending his head down as he looked at his clasped hands in his lap.

“I thought so. Stay in that chair, do not move. I will be right back,” Severus said in a dangerous voice that promised retribution before he walked out of the study closing the door behind him, leaving a terrified child in his wake.

Severus was livid as he walked over to the fireplace, tossing a fair amount of powder as he disappeared in the flames. As he arrived he called out the wolf’s name. He didn’t have to wait long, before the man came running into the sitting room.

“You said you would protect him when I couldn’t,” Severus said angrily needing something to lash out at; as these foreign protective emotions threatened to overwhelm him.

“Severus what are you talking about? Harry is fine, as you saw,” Remus said quickly, looking at the man in confusion.

“He isn’t, he has bruising all over his face and chin. He has assured me that you didn’t do it, and for some insane reason I believe him. You promised me you would watch out for him, and he came back hurt and scared. What the hell Lupin? Did it ever occur to you that Harry might try and seek Black out? Why the hell did you leave him alone? Can you honestly tell me that you cannot tell a lie from the truth?” Severus said heatedly, his hand itching to take his wand and curse the man upstairs.

Remus was floored; he couldn’t believe what he was hearing though he knew he shouldn’t be all that surprised. When Harry set his mind up for something he tended to get it done. He had a thoughtful expression on his face as he watched Severus.  He sighed tiredly, he knew this was gonna come back and bite him in the ass. If the situation wasn’t so serious, he would think it was a bit ironic that James Potter’s child was being cared for by Severus Snape of all people. He frowned before speaking as something didn’t sit right with this.

“What are you talking about Severus? What lie did Harry tell?” Remus asked trying to think back.

“The bathroom was a ploy, though he wanted to see you, this morning trip was also a ploy.” Severus said shaking his head in annoyance.

“Sirius wouldn’t, I should have heard…” Remus trailed off remembering the long floo call.

“Well he did and you didn’t.” Severus said tiredly as he swore under his breath before glaring at the man across from him.

“What is it Severus?” Remus said warily, as he looked in those angry dark eyes.

“Speaking of which; might I use the bathroom it seems I drank just a bit too much juice at breakfast.” Severus said casually, already walking towards the steps.

Remus’s eyes widened comically, as he tried to think of a response that would bring the man back. He had no doubt that the bathroom was the furthest thing from the dark haired man’s mind at that moment.

“Severus, where exactly is Harry?” Remus asked. That question served its purpose as the man stopped in his tracks and turned to look at him. The Slytherin’s eyes turned from one of anger, to shock, then to disbelief before his face blanked over. Remus’s own eyes widened at that, as he waited for the man to explain where Harry was.

~*~*~*~*Snape Manor~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry had watched the man storm out his office and he winced, knowing that the whole calm façade was naught and void. He heard what he thought was the floo and then it was silence once again. He didn’t know what to do, because Snape had told him to stay where he was. The chair was getting a bit uncomfortable the longer he sat there, and he longed to get up and stretch.

Although he was no longer feeling guilty about what he did, he was feeling remorse and like he had lost some of Snape’s trust. Which was a weird feeling for one, he didn’t even know he had the man’s trust. And since when did he care about Snape? Since he let you cry in his robes that very first day, and when he rocked you to sleep.

Harry shook his head at his stupidity, as words jumbled through his brain. Something just didn’t make sense, Snape cared for him to a point and he had never hurt him; so what the hell was Sirius talking about that he was giving him tough love. He wasn’t the best person to talk about families, but Mr. Weasley never hurt Ron like that, with the excuse of tough love. He groaned before dropping his head into his hands, he was so confused about all of this.

Unable to stand his thoughts anymore Harry stood up, he wasn’t a baby, and he wouldn’t stay in the chair any longer. As he walked to the door to open it, he froze he couldn’t bring himself to walk out the study. He slammed the door in disgust at himself, trying to calm down. Resting his head against the wall for a moment he slid down on the floor, before bringing his knees to his chest. So many emotions were threatening to overwhelm him.

Harry buried his head in his knees trying to overcome these feelings before quickly jumping on his feet. He was angry and hurt and he didn’t know how to handle it. It was like the hurt was literally trying to rip a gaping hole through his chest. He gasped on the panic feeling like he was having a heart attack. Before he knew it he was standing in front of Snape's desk with a grip of papers in his hands.

"WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!" He yelled out at the top of his lungs before he was throwing everything he could get his hands on to the ground.

He watched in satisfaction as a rather delicate glass Lily flower figurine smashed to pieces on the floor. He was sobbing so hard he almost choked on a sob more than once. The tears fell freely down his face, and his nose was running but he didn’t care. Harry was so caught up in his grief and inner turmoil pain that he was no longer aware of anything around him. He failed to hear the floo.

~*~*~*~Grimmauld Place~*~*~*~*~*

"He’s back at the Manor," Severus said quietly as he was jolted back to earth.

"Alone?" Remus asked in disbelief.

"The child is 15," Severus said already moving towards the fireplace, Black the furthest thing from his mind at the moment.

"As you have just pointed out, Harry is still just a kid," Remus replied quietly.

"This isn’t over Lupin, I will be back to take care of Black. And if you stand in my way I don’t care how much it hurts Harry I will curse you for defending that thing." Severus said thickly before he disappeared in the flames.

"Don’t worry Severus; I won’t stand in your way. Matter fact I think it’s time I checked on Padfoot anyway," Remus said to himself wand falling into the palm of his hand with ease.

Remus headed upstairs like a man on a mission, when would Sirius ever learn? Why the heck did he feel the need to use violence to get his point across? Was there something else the matter with him? He thought that Sirius loved Harry, what the hell changed? Unable to answer those questions on his own, he knocked once before walking through Sirius bedroom door. He had been expecting him to be sleep by now and he tightened his grip on his wand when he saw that he wasn’t.

"What do you want Moony?" Sirius said tiredly, not in the mood for this.

"You hurt Harry, why would you do that?" Remus said softly.

"We've established I did that already, well according to you all hurt him. Personally I would never hurt my godchild; I was merely teaching him a lesson." Sirius said annoyance coursing through his body.

"What about today then?" Remus said quietly, saving that much needed talk Sirius needed to have later. What kind of lesson was he trying to teach Harry? And why did he think that it was ok?

"What are you on about?" Sirius said narrowing his eyes.

"Severus said Harry told him, you were the cause of the bruising on his face today," Remus explained calmly, though inside he was anything but.

"That lying little bastard," Sirius said standing up in anger, and sneering at the wall.

"Who are you talking about; Severus?" Remus asked cautiously.

"No not Snivellous, Harry, he said all this crap and the sight of things getting rough he tells on me to the first person he sees; a snake," Sirius said angrily.

"So you did hurt Harry today?" Remus said eyes flashing amber on their own accord, as he closed the door behind him.

~*~*~*~Snape Manor~*~*~*~*~*~

The minute Severus landed in his sitting room, he knew something was wrong. He immediately was making his way to his study when he heard this chilling scream that has his skin crawling and he stopped in his tracks for a second. Taking a breath and his wand he slowly opened the door and stared in shock at what was once his pristine study, was now looking as if 20 bludgers went through here. He found Harry hysterical and crying and he couldn’t figure out why. Wasn’t he fine when he left?

Walking more into the room he gasped loudly when he saw the shattered remains of his figurine that his Lily had gotten him for his birthday one year. "So you'll never forget me Sev," she has promised. Not like he ever would but he cherished it always and now it was broken. Shaking his head for a moment at the sheer stupidity, he was a wizard was he not? He quickly threw a reparo at it, and he was rewarded when it put itself back together again. He grabbed it and placed it securely in his pocket and walked over to the child.

"Harry child, what is going on?" Severus asked gently.

"I don’t understand this and you...you Left ME!" Harry said unable to keep his anger as he stared at the man who he thought had given up on him like all the others.

"I know, but I was coming back. I needed to take care of something," Severus said quietly.

"Oh I understand, it was more important than me," Harry said resignedly, the hurt in his voice plain as day. His face closed off as he realized that he really didn’t mean anything to anyone in this world anymore.

"No; never more important then you child," Severus said pulling out a handkerchief as he came closer.

"Then why did you leave me?" Harry asked voice sounding every bit as young as he looked.

"Because I thought I needed to get justice on your behalf." Severus said softly.

"But you don’t now?" Harry asked quietly, refusing to hope. He knew that always ended in sadness, on his part.

"No, the place I need to be is right here with you," Severus explained.

"Why?" Harry asked hoarsely.

"Because you need me," Severus whispered as he gently grabbed Harry and started to clean his face.

"No I think you need me," Harry said hoarsely attempting a joke at the moment, to lighten the situation; not all expecting an answer.

"I do and you have no idea how much that’s true," Severus replied almost inaudibly.

He knew that when Harry's eyes suddenly flew to his that he had heard him just fine. Severus sighed; perhaps Harry would understand that just because a person wasn’t your family didn’t mean that they couldn’t love you like you were? He stopped for a moment as he replayed that thought. Did he really love Harry? Or was he just pretending so he could gain his trust?

 Obsidian eyes met emerald and he found the answer all at once. Of course he loved her child, and from the looks of it, it seemed like Harry might love him back. For the moment, the war, the prophecy, Black, and Voldemort didn’t matter; her child loved him; and Severus would do anything to keep him safe, even give up his own life.

Chapter End Notes:
Review please, I love them, Dont flame, I dont want the abuse..