Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8

Harry did not sleep well that night. Hermione kept watch while he got a couple of hours sleep, then they swapped. She mumbled something in her sleep, kept complaining that she was cold so Harry lit the fire and waited for the morning.

 Finally, at seven, he woke her with coffee and they sat in the kitchen, staring gloomily into nothingness. “You should eat something,” Hermione offered him some dry toast, it was slightly burnt. She’d never been able to produce anything decent to eat. Harry took a polite bite and then stared back into the fire. Between the two stood the now empty whiskey bottle, like a big, unspoken problem.

 Then she pulled out the damn story book that Dumbledore had given her and began to read. She must know it by heart now. Harry fidgeted in his chair when he heard heavy footsteps in the hall.

 A very, very moody Snape appeared, he looked rough and tired. “Tea,” he spat and Hermione jumped up straight away. She obviously didn’t mind being treated like a house elf.

 “Would you like some anti-nausea and some headache potion, Severus?” she asked politely and handed him two phials.

 “I can decide perfectly well for myself if I am in need of any potions. I do have some experience, Granger.”

 He accepted anyway and drank his tea in silence.

 “Do you have any particular tasks for us, Severus?” Hermione asked and sipped on her coffee. Harry stared at her in bewilderment. He wasn’t used to adults being charge and he wasn’t sure if he liked it. Maybe Voldemort could locate Snape like he did Karkaroff? It was not safe to be with a Death Eater, but Harry didn’t want to discuss this right now.

 Then Snape let out a hissing breath and clutched his arm. “Damn it,” he spat and stood up so fast the chair fell.

 “Are you being summoned?” Harry was scared. And maybe a little bit worried.

 “Your ability to grasp a complicated problem astounds me every time,” Snape spat and splashed cold water in his face. 

 “Shouldn’t we try and free Luna and Dean?” Harry asked hopefully. He was already fed up of sitting about.

“Don’t you dare! Let me deal with this. Stay here, stay safe and don’t move.”

 “Yes, Sir,” Hermione answered and a worry line appeared on her forehead. “I will worry about you.” Snape stared at her and Harry added: “Be safe.”

 Now the older man looked puzzled, as if they had spoken a language unknown to him.

 In a way, they had.