Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

Dumbledore had expected Severus (ten minutes ago) and Draco but he almost choked on his lemon drop when the third person popped out on his rug.

"Headmaster," began Snape as formal with him as ever, "may I introduce my daughter, Brogan Snape."

Draco had dropped the charm on Harry's eyes earlier that morning, they thought it might help them to convince the headmaster if he had too many annoying questions.  And sure enough one look at Brogan's eyes convinced him.  Much like Ollivander he seemed to be visually cataloging all the Snape features and all the Evans features and adding them up to the creature before him.

He sat down with a thump and Fawkes trilled a laugh.  Brogan looked over at the perch and smiled brightly,"Hello Fawkes!"  Fawkes instantly flew over to the girl and settled on her shoulder, nuzzling her ear and tugging on her hair.  Draco was extremely impressed.

Dumbledore listened quietly to the story that Snape had pieced together from the evidence.  He waved his hand dismissively at Snape's decision to fake the quarantine and give himself time to get to know his daughter and Harry time to get used to her new identity.

They launched into their plan for the future and Albus went along with that too, mumbling softly about Ollivander being a goat when he saw Brogan's beautiful wand.  He even approved of polyjuicing Brogan so she could say goodbye to Ron and Hermione as Harry.  He offered to call a meeting for the next evening, needing the slight delay so he could come up with a convincing destination for Harry.

"Miss Snape," he said and was pleased when she looked up right away, "why don't you try on the hat while you're here and see if your resorting will be acceptable.  Best not to leave it to chance."

Brogan nodded and walked over to the grubby old hat, she suddenly remembered pulling the sword of Gryffindor out of the hat and faltered.  Maybe it was best to do this in private; she gingerly placed the hat on her head, startled when it fit so much better than last time.  And then the voice was whispering in her head again, "oh ho, so it's Miss Brogan Snape now, do you think this changes things missy?  Well of course it does, both more than you think and also less than you fear."  Brogan smiled a bit at the reassuring words, "Slytherin this time Miss Snape?  Yes, I think I can support that choice."  And then the seam was opening and the hat called out, "Slytherin!"

Dumbledore actually clapped a bit, and Fawkes trilled some, Draco and Snape just sighed in relief.  At the last moment Brogan hadn't seemed very confident at all.

The house elves popped their trunks away to Snape's quarters and they dragged themselves away to freshen up for lunch.  Brogan was missing her morning nap something fierce and there were eight thousand steps between the headmaster's tower and the dungeon.  She grumbled over five thousand of them.  In fact she was so sleepy and out of it that she walked straight to the totally secret and absolutely hidden Slytherin dorm entrance a few steps ahead of Draco and Severus. 

She stopped and leaned her head against the blank bit of wall the entrance was hidden behind.  "Brogan," Severus began softly, "why did you come here?"

Brogan opened her eyes and looked around, "oh sorry, are we not going to the dorms?"

"No, we're going to my private quarters, but Brogan, how do you know this is the entrance to the Slytherin dorms?"  The voice that Brogan was so used to being gentle and supportive was rather harsh.

Brogan popped awake and all the blood drained from her face before it all rushed back to her cheeks.  Even Draco was looking at her rather coldly.

"Hmm," Brogan tried to stall, "that's kind of a long story from many many years ago.  Why don't I tell you over lunch?"

"I'm sure," scoffed Draco and he led her down the hall to another blank piece of wall which opened at Snape's password, ‘privacy'.

Severus himself was surprised to find his spare bedroom had divided itself into two rooms, each rather small but sufficient for Draco and Brogan.  He was pleased when Brogan took the room in the middle.  The ex-Malfoy house elf Dobby appeared suddenly with all their trunks and things.  He did a triple take over Harry and Brogan gently drew him aside to explain that there had been a bad potion that made her look like a boy all those years but she was healed now.  Dobby could not deny that his beloved Harry Potter seemed happy. 

"Now Dobby," Brogan continued, "you remember all the bad wizards that were after Harry Potter right?"  Dobby's huge eyes went straight to Draco and he gave him a bit of a glare before he nodded.  "NOT Draco Dobby, maybe Draco's father but not Draco, not anymore.  Well those bad wizards don't know that I'm Brogan Snape now and we're not going to tell them, we're not going to tell anyone except the people in this room and the headmaster and Bill Weasley, because that way I will be safer.  Right Dobby?  Can you help with that plan Dobby?"

"Yes, Dobby understands that plan and can help with it.  But Mistress Brogan, the other house elves that knew Harry Potter well will know it is you.  Can Dobby bring them here too so we can explain?"

Brogan thought for a moment about spending her precious napping time using small words with house elves, "You know what Dobby, why don't you bring them all to the headmaster?  He can explain it too and if they're confused he can order them to keep it a secret."

"That is a great idea Mistress Brogan.  Dobby will do that."

"Thanks Dobby," Brogan said with another great smile, "I'm kind of glad you recognized me so we can still be friends.  Is there anyone else that you think will know it's me, besides the house elves?"

Dobby thought for a while, "Professor Flitwick will probably know, he is good at noticing magics.  Master Firenze will know but Dobby doesn't think Professor Trelawney will."

Brogan looked a little horrified by the list but Severus was just thoughtful.  "When you bring the house elves to the headmaster tell him about the others too.  Very astute work Dobby.  Thank you."

Dobby blushed furiously and bowed to everyone, he snapped his fingers and the trunks were in the correct rooms.  Then he disappeared himself.

Severus walked over to his daughter and rubbed her shoulders.  "It will be alright Brogan, they are decent people who will respect your secrets.  Why don't you go take your nap?"

Brogan nodded dumbly, she waved a bit to Draco who was prowling around the room and then stumbled off to her new bed in her newest new room in her father's quarters.  When she woke she had no memory at all of taking off her sandals, getting under the covers, and certainly no memory of pulling out her new stuffed owl and wrapping her arms around it, and yet, there she was.

There were no windows, neither fake nor underwater so it was kind of hard to judge the time.  She felt nice and refreshed though.  Draco was waiting for her on the couch, "afternoon Princess," he greeted her.  He pulled his nose out of his book enough to gesture to the plate on the coffee table in front of him.  "You missed lunch so eat all of that and we can go for a broom ride."

"Really?  We can go flying?  Awesome!"  Lunch was quickly dispatched, shoes were found for Brogan and they were marching out into the sunlight.

Brogan hadn't been flying since the change of course and there had been a debate among them about whether her flying style would be too recognizable as Harry Potter and whether the Firebolt was too recognizable -but nobody was here now.  They swooped and soared and found a practice snitch and only touched down because Brogan had to pee.  "Can't you find a bush Princess?" 

"No," she hissed, "I'm not that good at it yet."  Draco fell over laughing and they both sped on their brooms back to the castle, and the loo.

For dinner that night they went to the Great Hall and everyone sat together at one house table.  There were several professors there, including McGonagall.  She was very polite when she met Brogan and she only seemed to be looking over her shoulder for Harry.

"So Brogan, aren't you a lovely girl.  How did you become reunited with your father?"  They had rehearsed this story more than once so Brogan trilled on about homeschooling and how her mother was offered a position on the continent so they decided she should come live with her da for a bit.  Severus was such an insanely private person that he could have had a daughter, legitimate or not all these years.

Dumbledore piped up that although Miss Snape was only fifteen she had tested into the sixth form curriculum and how Mr. Malfoy would be available to help her out if she needed it.  For perhaps the first time in her life Professer McGonagall gave Draco Malfoy an indulgent smile.  Draco preened a bit under her pleasure, the candlelight was very flattering to his features and he was sitting very close to Brogan.  Severus was ready to sneer at them for laying it on so thick but then he couldn't be sure they were acting after all.

 

The next night Brogan was a mess.  Dumbledore had produced a smattering of letters from Ron and Hermione that he had promised to deliver for them.  Brogan quickly read all the get well wishes and felt awful for not responding.  Why hadn't Dumbledore delivered them earlier?  Or Hedwig?  Who knew, it was too late to write back now, and then she had another sick thought, how was she supposed to correspond with her friends when her penmanship was so out of whack?

Without a further thought Brogan burst in on her father in his potions lab, "Da!"  Severus almost dumped a whole vial of gunk into his cauldron.  But he stilled himself in time, carefully put the vial down, cast a quick stasis charm and looked up.

"Yes, Brogan dear?"

"How will I write to Ron and Hermione when my penmanship is so messed up?"

"I am pleased Brogan that you are unaware of the many charms that exist to change penmanship.  Are you quite sure you've never charmed something Miss Granger wrote to look like you did it?"

A slow flush went up Brogan's cheeks.  "Oh, yeah, I might have heard of such a charm I guess..."

"Excellent, now are you ready for this evening?  Would you like me to quiz you on the salient points again?"

"No, that's alright.  It's going to be bizarre though, and I haven't decided how I feel about the Headmaster having a sample of my hair on hand."

"That is understandably disturbing but convenient nonetheless and as a newly minted Slytherin you must learn to value pragmatism above idealism."

"I think that's going to be the hardest part for me," Brogan agreed glumly.

"Brogan," Snape tangled his fingers in her curls, "don't try too hard on that.  We love you just the way you are."

Brogan was a little unsure of who the we referred to but she had her suspicions and she cherished the sentiment all the same.  They shared a brief hug and then Brogan returned to her room.  Between Dobby and Minksy they had acquired a genuine Harry Potter ensemble from Spinner's End, it was all laid out on Brogan's bed.  She was looking at it longingly when Draco came in.

"So what shall I wear tonight Brogan?  You want to make a good impression right?"

"Then I'm sure you should pick it out yourself Draco."

Draco nodded his agreement and walked to her dresser as if he owned it.  "Just because you bought more than half the clothes in there doesn't mean you actually own it Draco."  Brogan pointed out, Draco scoffed.

Aside from her uniform Brogan didn't own any skirts or dresses.  Draco had desperately wanted to see her legs on display but he was too sensitive to suggest it in those first tentative weeks.  The black cargo pants were definitely Brogan's favorites and the t-shirts Bill had bought her that second day.   

Just because Draco was raised as a proper little pompous pure blood wizard didn't mean that he didn't approve of Brogan's choices.  Her cargo pants fit her perfectly and she often used all the different pockets, the shirts were fitted just enough and they were cute and fun.  "I think Brogan, that you have done much better at not looking like a boy trapped in a girl's body lately," 

Brogan smiled easily, "but..."

Draco turned to her rueful at being so predictable, "but real girls wear more jewelry. When I thought of it I picked up a few simple things for you.  This is a simple string necklace -no precious jewels or anything, just string in pretty knots."

It was in fact nothing more than green and grey string with pretty knots, Brogan couldn't figure out how it opened or closed but Draco took it gently from her, placed it around his own neck and then tapped the ends with his wand.  They sealed up seamlessly.   Brogan admired it on his throat, "it is nice, so I get it after tonight?"

"Of course," said Draco, "there's a bracelet too, is that alright?"  Brogan inspected the bracelet that Draco was already wearing.  It went with the necklace but wasn't exactly the same.  She nodded.

Draco had pulled out a very light grey t-shirt that went well with the black.  He turned to look at the heap of transfigured shoes.  "Maybe I should skip them, just to be true to your character Princess."

"Maybe," Brogan agreed.  "It doesn't matter overly; if you need them Da will make you a pair."

"You're so adorable when you call him Da and he makes you shoes."

"We're allowed to be friendly tonight right?  The story is that we spent the last two weeks together at Spinner's End, you helping to nurse me back to health after the dragon pox."

Draco pulled their intertwined fingers up and pecked one of her fingertips, "Yes, I think we can be friendly, but if they think Harry likes Brogan then Ron and Hermione will be even crankier when they see how much Draco likes her."

Brogan blushed, "I guess that's a good point.  I wouldn't want to make them hate you even more."  Draco's lips were still hovering near Brogan's hand and she could feel his breath puffing on her fingertips when he spoke.  It sent shivers up her spine and she unconsciously tilted her head and leaned in closer.  Draco slid his other hand to her jaw and leaned over to carefully peck her chastely on the lips. 

 

Severus arrived shortly after with two goblets.  "Urgh I hate that stuff!"  Brogan burst out and then clamped a hand over her mouth in horror.  It was much too late, both Severus and Draco rounded on her.

"That's it Brogan, spill now."  Severus ordered.

"In my second year when there was that whole Heir of Slytherin thing going on we were sure that Draco knew who the heir was so Ron and I polyjuiced ourselves as Crabbe and Goyle and went in the common room with him and asked about it.  That's all."

"You brewed polyjuice in second year?  You stole my boomslang skin didn't you?"

"There is definitely a statute of limitations on being cross about these things.  Nobody was injured, well except Hermione I guess.  She put a cat hair in her goblet instead of Millicent's and it didn't turn out too well.  Trust me, she was punished enough."

"I suppose you are correct, and our time just now is limited.  Change into your old clothes, take this and meet me by the fire in five minutes. 

Draco, have you selected a suitable ensemble?"  Draco held up the pants and t-shirt.  "You need underthings as well Mr. Malfoy."  Brogan grabbed a random bra and pair of underpants, she balled them up and passed them to Draco.

"I will supervise Draco's transformation," Snape restated for the umpteenth time.  Brogan gave Draco a very sympathetic look and they made their way out.

It was kind of fun for Brogan to put on her old clothes, they had brought her glasses too.  And Snape had transfigured a fake wand to look just like the holly wand.  Draco had Brogan's new wand, it worked pretty well for him.  It didn't really work with him though.

She felt extremely weird and not at all as comfortable as she thought she would feel making her way to the fireplace.  She was nervous about seeing Draco as Brogan too.  Soon enough Severus's door banged open and the pair came out.  Brogan/Draco was blushing, which wasn't as shocking as Snape blushing.

"Da!" said Harry urgently, "you're blushing!  We can't go to Grimmauld Place with you like that."

"Give me a moment Brogan," said Snape while putting a hand on the bridge of his nose.

Draco was also taking deep calming breaths, but a few were too deep and caused his bosom to sort of heave and the blushing began anew.

"Remember, I'm not really a girl.  I was like this for sixteen years and it's all still awkward equipment for me too."  Draco nodded tightly but didn't say anything. 

Time was wasting, they each had two more doses tucked in their pockets but it was best to keep moving.  The headmaster had given Draco the secret address but he stood aside while Severus went first, then Harry, then Draco.  Draco thought for a moment about whether he should stumble because Harry always did and if anyone saw Brogan floo in the future she would surely stumble, but it wasn't really a question, he stumbled anyway in his unfamiliar body.

 

Draco was surprisingly gratified to see all the Weasley men checking him out.  He sighed in relief that he wasn't expected to know Fred from George.  The pair of them descended on him with a hungry glint in their eyes.  Severus smoothly cut them off by stepping in front of Brogan and putting an arm around her shoulders.  Snape was really tall compared to Brogan, everyone was Draco marveled.  No wonder they all had such a manly desire to pick her up and carry her places.  Being barefoot didn't help either Draco realized as he stubbed a toe on the uneven floor.

For a moment he remembered the joint threat from Snape and Bill about harming one of Brogan's toes and then he realized he was the one in actual pain.  Severus saw the wince and halted immediately.  He looked down and made a believable show of being shocked at finding his daughter barefoot, "again Brogan?" he asked in that deadly silky voice.  Draco shrugged.

Snape pointed his wand at her feet and a pair of light gray ballet slippers appeared.  They felt like the softest kid skin, Brogan noticed Harry smirking at him as if to say, see -doesn't it feel nice and also, save those I need to add them to my pile.  Draco was struck by how weird it was to be able to read Harry Potter's faces.  He swallowed and hoped this whole thing worked.  They had remembered to lighten Brogan's eye color and they had put on the cover-up lotion, but surely someone would notice that Brogan and Harry had the same expressions. 

He wished they had taken the potions earlier so they could have worked through some of the strangeness in Snape's quarters instead of surrounded by the Order of the Phoenix.  The Order people were all being cautiously cordial to Snape's daughter, imagine if Molly Weasley realized she had just called Draco Malfoy a dear and shook his hand?

Draco was hugely relieved that he already knew a lot of the people there from his own life; he was much too distracted to learn names for real now.  Eventually he made his way around the room to Hermione, Ron and Ginny.  Harry was standing with Ginny much too close and they were all whispering urgently when Hermione caught sight of Brogan.  She smiled kindly and stuck out a hand, "How do you do Brogan, I'm Hermione Granger a sixth year in Gryffindor House.   This is my friend Ron Weasley and his sister Ginny.  Ginny is your age although I understand you'll be in our classes."

Draco politely shook all the hands, "Yeah, I'm ahead in some things and not so much in others but Da decided it was better that I have to scramble rather than be bored.  And he promised to get me a tutor."

"Have you been sorted yet?"  Ginny asked even though all the Gryffindors knew she would be in Slytherin.

"Yes, we did it in the Headmaster's office the other day, the hat said Slytherin.  Not a big shock I guess with Da being the head."

"I'm sure you'll make a lot of close friends there Brogan." said Harry.

"I hope so, I'll miss you though Harry."

"Brogan has been around the last few weeks helping Professor Snape and feeding me potions and stuff.  You have to remember shoes at Hogwarts Brogan, the castle is freezing and all the floors are rough stone."

Brogan blushed, "I'm sure if the floors are that nasty I'll remember."

"Ginny, you should see the mountain of shoes that Brogan has, all transfigured by Professor Snape.  He makes a pair for her every day just about, I'm sure if Professor McGonagall saw she would give him top marks."

"The pair he made you today are really sweet," Ginny commented, she put her foot next to Brogan's and was disappointed to see how much smaller the grey flats were.  "Funny to imagine Professor Snape reviewing fashion magazines for ideas."

They all laughed politely at that.  "So Harry, Mum and Dad said you aren't going to Hogwarts this year," Ron whined.

Draco stuck out Brogan's lip in an adorable little pout at the sad news and Ron stuttered a bit.  Harry just smirked at her and fake pouted back.  "Yeah, Dumbledore let me listen to that prophecy they were guarding last year and the Chosen One thing is pretty much accurate. 

We realized that if we want to end this war as quickly and efficiently as possible I can't be wasting my time learning about Goblin Wars or hinky punks you know.  So he set something up for me with a trainer.  The plan is to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can and then pick up my life again."

"Harry!"  Hermione was completely scandalized, "you can't let Dumbledore boss you around like that.  You're only sixteen; you can't be trained as a soldier yet.  It's illegal, it's immoral.  You have rights." 

Harry smiled gently at his friend, "Hermione I so appreciate the way you would rage against the Headmaster for me, but sixteen is the legal consent age to drop out of school.  And I'm okay with this, I prefer to stay busy and do concrete things you know, since Sirius died  I-I just can't sit around waiting."

Hermione had angry frustrated tears forming, "I know Harry, but you don't need to leave us to do useful things.  When you were in the Triwizard we learned all those handy spells together right?  We can do it again."

Harry was teary too, and he hugged his friend close, "Hermione that was a competition for teenagers, this is the most powerful dark wizard in decades.  We would spend all our time in the Restricted Section learning horrible things that can't be unlearned.  I don't want your beautiful mind full of evil spells."

Ron was impressed by his friend's smoothness, Draco wanted to give him a bloody award for best acting, Ginny looked like she just wanted to jump his sensitive and caring bones.  Draco thought more about it and realized that Harry must have had super girl insight powers all along, but then he thought of that Yule Ball and realized probably not.

Then it was time to eat and a sniffly Hermione took one side of Harry, Draco really wanted the other but he realized that this night was so Harry could say goodbye to his friends and instead he walked over near Severus and shyly looked up at him.  Severus smiled indulgently and took Draco by the hand to lead him to a seat near the Headmaster.

Dinner was tasty and afterwards they had a belated birthday cake for Harry which he really enjoyed.  Snape had carefully fed Harry his second dose, pretending it was something else for his dragon pox recovery.  Draco had faked a coughing fit and Snape had passed him his second dose.  They were safe for another forty-five minutes or so and Harry was chatting with his friends eating his second giant piece of birthday cake when the attack struck.

His hand flew to his scar as the pain burst forth and he quickly looked up for his Da.  He could feel Voldemort's glee; he could see Death Eaters swooping through the sky outside of Azkaban.  What the hell, they could fly without brooms now?

Ron had jumped up and his arms were wrapped tightly around Harry, before Dumbledore or Snape could even move.  Harry turned so that he could bury his face in Ron's shirt, grinding the burning scar against Ron's collar bone.  Then he was falling off his chair and dropping to the floor, Ron moving with him and never letting go.  "It's okay Harry mate," he whispered over and over again, even as the adults started to smother them in a circle of concern.

The circle drew back quickly when Harry pushed himself away from Ron to throw up all over the floor.  Ron never faltered though, rubbing his back and pulling him in to safety and security when it was over and someone had vanished the mess.

Snape, Bill and Draco were extremely agitated, they all wanted to snatch up Harry and whisk her back to Spinner's End but they all hesitated, unsure that they could do any better for her just now.  A most welcome distraction came moments later when a patronus appeared and announced in Tonks' voice that Azkaban was under attack and the Death Eaters were escaping.  Despite the confusion that erupted from that bit of news Snape could hear Ron whisper to Harry, "not that great of an early warning system then are you?" and he saw Harry's shoulders shake as he chuckled.

Dumbledore dragged the adults away to discuss how the Order should respond, particularly since they were not considered allies by the Ministry.  Hermione pulled Ginny away next, offering to get a wet flannel for Harry or something.  And then it was just Harry and Ron on the floor together in a tangle of legs and white knuckles. 

Ron felt Harry's shoulders shake in the way that meant he was sobbing silently.  He noticed that Brogan was still standing nearby and staring, he spared half a second to give her a dirty look in the hopes that she would leave, the tart certainly didn't seem inclined to leave -she looked like all she wanted to do was trade places with Ron. 

Ron pulled out the leg he had been sitting on and adjusted himself so he was more comfortable, and hopefully Harry was more comfortable too.  He tucked his face down closer to Harry's and whispered softly, "hey mate, what's wrong now?"

Harry rubbed his eyes on Ron's shirt and whispered back, "just wondering what I will do without you."

"Could I come with you?" Ron offered, "You know I'm not keen on those goblin wars either."

Harry looked up at Ron, the area all around his scar was red but the scar itself was the reddest, tear drops were glistening on his lashes, his whole face was blotchy and wan looking; Ron had seen Harry like this so many times.  Harry looked like he was about to keel over and even before he opened his mouth Ron knew that he was going to turn down any offer of help or comfort.

Hermione returned with the flannel and together they helped Harry up and back into his chair.  He sat for a while and sipped some tea but the polyjuice clock was running down.  Snape and Brogan appeared silently near him and Harry knew it was time to go.  He drained his cup in one long pull and pushed himself up.

He started the long round of goodbyes to all the Weasleys and gathered Order members.  It was a lot sadder than it would have been without the attack but eventually he got through everybody, including Hermione and Ron who looked like they would never let him go.

 

But then best friends realized their hugs were pretty much all that was holding Harry up.  Snape stepped in, "come along Mr. Potter, that's enough dramatics for someone just getting over the dragon pox.  I believe it's bedtime for you."

Harry gave Snape a grateful grin, "yes sir." He said softly and Snape hustled him over to the fire.  Draco had already gone through with the Headmaster so Snape slid his arm under Harry's and hauled him as close as he could without it looking too strange.  By the time they stepped out in his quarters back at Hogwarts Snape had to catch Harry and carry him in his arms.

He carefully removed the round glasses, laid her out on the bed and waited a few minutes until she reverted to her real form.  She looked even paler if that was possible.  Snape sat on the bed and looked at her for a while before he summoned a potion and woke her up enough to drink it.  Then he pulled off the too big shoes and socks and jeans but left her in the t-shirt and tucked her in.

Draco was sitting on the couch in his regular form and his pajamas when Snape finally left Brogan's room.  "It's intolerable that she suffers like this.  I have noticed how drawn she looks some mornings; she must put up silencing spells, dammit."

"I gave her a dreamless sleep, but I can't let her take it every night."

"No, but you can invent a potion she could take every night."

Snape nodded, his thoughts already on the potion he would be inventing.

 

Brogan opened her eyes and saw Bill Weasley sitting in the chair next to her bed.  She could see him clearly so she knew she was back to being a girl.  She stretched out and noticed how not far down the bed her toes travelled, yup back to being a girl.  "Hey Bill," she said softly and Bill looked at her over the journal he was reading, ‘Break That: Egyptian Edition'. 

Bill gave her a strange look; he was mad at her and worried and relieved and chagrined all at once.  "Have a nice nap Princess?  We were worried you might have taken the nickname literally and gone down for a century or something."

"What?" said Brogan sitting up and looking around the windowless room with no clock or calendar or whatever in it.  "How long have I been asleep?"

"Two days, after Severus flooed you back from headquarters he gave you one dose of dreamless sleep and it knocked you out for two days.  Why do you suppose that happened Brogan?"

Brogan blushed, "maybe I missed a few of my naps?"

"You've been casting silencing spells on your room haven't you?"

Brogan nodded miserably.  "Are they very mad?  Am I going to be sent back to the Dursleys now?"  Her voice was very soft and frightened.

Bill sighed, cursed the Dursleys in his head for making her so insecure, for making her hide every little hurt, sighed again and then climbed onto the bed next to her and pulled her on his lap.  She collapsed against him and started sobbing and apologizing. 

"I'm sorry," she hiccuped, "but my aunt and uncle used to get so cross and I know that my Da wouldn't but he would worry a lot and then he would smother me and I'm too old for that and I know I can't take Dreamless Sleep every night so I thought it was just best if I dealt with it myself."

 "We are mad," Bill started and Brogan was so horrified that she stopped sobbing for a moment and looked up, "we're all mad that you silenced your room and didn't tell us how much the visions hurt you.  And we're mad that You-Know-Who has a way to hurt you when we want to keep you safe.  Get it?"

Brogan shook her head, no.  Bill chuckled a little and rubbed her back, "well, we will just keep repeating it I guess until you do understand.  But for now, I'm going to step out and order some breakfast while you take a nice shower and get dressed, okay?

And one last thing Brogan, we placed a ward on your room to prevent any silencing spells.  I realize as a teenager that's a bit of an inconvenience but Severus and Draco don't want you hiding things from them anymore."

Brogan, nodded as she got up and started gathering fresh clothes for after her shower.  "Where are they now?" she asked with a quivery voice, so sure that they really hated her and didn't ever want to see her again.

"Same place they've been for the last two days, Severus's lab.  They're inventing a new potion for you to block the visions and make it so you can sleep."  Bill laughed as he watched the blush swoop up the girl's cheeks.  "Still think they would let you leave?"

 

They were just finishing up the huge breakfast that Dobby had brought them when a tired but satisfied looking Draco and Severus walked in.  They both smiled at seeing Brogan up and eating, they each walked right over to her too and gave her a hug and a peck and a ‘so glad you're alright'.  Brogan blushed like mad over all of it, and stabbed her bacon so she wouldn't have to look at them.

Severus sat down and poured himself a large cup of coffee.  "So Brogan, I trust Bill has told you about the ward on your room to prevent silencing spells?"

Brogan nodded miserably and Draco sat down next to her and took her hand to squeeze it.

"You have always been exceedingly stubborn, please don't try to take care of everything yourself, it isn't necessary and it makes us feel unwanted.  Okay?"

"Yes sir," said Brogan softly.  She didn't see Severus flinch a little, didn't see his hurt at not being called Da like Brogan always did.  But he let it go, eager to move on.

Chapter End Notes:
You guys are really catching up to me, I only have eleven chapters done (and at this rate it will be 600 more before the Lightning Struck Tower). But it was too cruel to leave you hanging.