Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

December 21: ~We’re a Couple of Misfits~
  Harry looked over his glass of milk at his father. It was lunch time, and he had just gotten up. He was kinda surprised that his Dad had let him sleep late, but he didn’t complain.    

Severus had felt that his son needed the sleep. He had kept him up until nearly two in the morning, talking about the last few months.

“Harry, I know why you felt you needed to keep this from me; however, you should not have. We have been through so much together…you have to trust me, Son. If no one else, you have to trust me.”

 

“I know, Dad. I am sorry. I thought that you would be madder…”

 

“I am not angry. I am upset that you did not tell me about everything though. You lied to me, used magic to lie to me because hiding an injury from me is a form of lying, you snuck out of the house, and you used underage magic.”

 

“I’m sorry. So, am I grounded?”

 

“Of course, son. You’ve known me long enough to know that I cannot let this simply slide.”

 

“Yea, I figured.” Harry laughed lightly, and then let his arms loosen around his knees.

 

“Harry, you are the most important thing in my life. If I do nothing in my life, I will protect you. And I will make Umbridge pay for what she has done to you.”

 

Severus smirked as he recalled the look on Harry’s face, and then the way he felt when Harry had jumped up from the couch and threw his arms around his father.

Although Severus would never tell a living soul, he never felt as good as he did when his son hugged him.

“Stop worrying, Harry. We are fine. Today you will prepare potion ingredients and finish your homework. Tomorrow we will decorate for Christmas. I am taking your broom from you until after we go back to school, and you will have extra chores to do around the house such as washing the dishes after our meals. I think that the two of us should also spend some time talking over this break. You are…getting older…and there are things happening in your life that we should always be able to discuss.”

Harry reddened at that. But, he nodded. He felt so much better now that he wasn’t hiding so much from his father.

“Even about me and Ginny?”

“Even that.”

“Were Mr. and Mrs. Weasley angry last night?” Harry suddenly asked.

“They were not happy. After they sent young Miss Weasley to bed, however, they were not quite as angry. They know that you were just talking.”

“Oh, okay. That’s okay then. What are you going to do to Umbridge…you’re not going to…um…kill her are you?” Harry whispered the last four words in a mixture of awe and concern.

“Hmpf. Do not worry about what I am going to do to that woman. Just be assured that she will never hurt you again. Understand?”

“Yea…I mean yes…as long as you don’t go to Azkaban.” Harry sniggered.

Severus rolled his eyes.

“No worries there. Now, enough of this. I have to go speak with Dumbledore about something that he spoke with me about the other day. I want you to wash the dishes from lunch and then finish your homework while I am out. What do you have to do?” Severus asked him, knowing that if he didn’t, his son would not do it all.

“Um, Potions, Transfiguration, and Charms. No one else assigned us anything.”

“Well, make sure that you finish it while I am gone. I will be gone until this afternoon. We will work on potion ingredients when I get back.” Severus told him.

Severus stood up and straightened his robes.

“Dad…you’re not going to confront Umbridge yet…are you?”

Severus looked at him, noticing the frightened look on his son’s face.

“I doubt it. Now, go wash the dishes.” Severus urged him.

Harry stood up and suddenly wrapped his arms around his father.

“We really are a couple of misfits, aren’t we Dad?” Harry said, his voice muffled through Severus’ robes.

“Even so, Harry, I would not have it any other way. Now, off to work, son. We are going to salvage this Christmas if it is the last thing we do, misfits or not.”

Harry nodded and started gathering the dishes.

Severus watched him for a few moments. Yes, the two of them were misfits, scrambling through life unsure about new things that they encountered. But, Severus would have it no other way. He loved all the ups and downs with his son.

Severus smiled slightly, then let a murderous gleam take over his eyes.

He would not search out the Toad. But, if she just happened to come across him…..