Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Bedtime Stories

Harry walked up the stairs to check on his son, Albus Severus. He wasn’t sure if Albus was awake, but if he was, Harry was sure that Albus would want to tell him a story. It was always the same story about the war hero, Severus Snape, who died tragically during the final battle in the second wizarding war. Albus only thought it was a story, a creation of his father’s imagination. He was, however, mistaken. It did actually happen, and Albus was so young, he could not see that it was a very hard story for his father to repeat.

Some would say that they final battle was Harry’s shining moment. True, he did defeat the greatest dark wizard of all time, but dredged up so many bad memories. So many people died that night. Even though the story brought on terrible feelings and memories, Harry still told the story to Albus.

“It’s time to go to bed, Albus.” Harry said as he approached his son’s door.

“Can you tell me a story Dad?”

“What story would you like me to tell?” Harry asked, even though he knew the answer.

“Can you tell me about Severus Snape?”

“I can, but you need to get ready for bed.”

Albus quickly laid down, and pulled the quilt up to his chin.

“I’m ready dad.” Albus said with a smile.

Harry sat down on the side of his son’s bed.

“Okay. There once was a boy named Severus Snape, who lived on Spinners End. Now Severus was a wizard, and ,when he was about eleven, he met a girl named Lily Evans. Lily was a witch and could perform magic just like Severus. Lily was a special Witch though. She was a muggle born, which means that she could perform magic, but her parents could not. She was very kind to Severus. She didn’t care that his family was poor. She just saw Snape for who he was. That summer, Severus told Lily all about Hogwarts. She was very excited about attending Hogwarts with Severus, they thought for sure that they would be in the same house at the school.”

“That did not happen, though. Lily was sorted into Gryffindor and Severus was in Slytherin. Now Gryffindor’s and Slytherin’s have a very strong dislike for each other, but that didn’t stop Severus and Lily from hanging out with each other. They had all of there classes with each other. Over the years, they became even closer."

" Since Severus had arrived at Hogwarts, he was being bullied by some of Lily’s housemates, one in particular was a boy named James. Lily always defended Severus, even though she did question some of the kids that he had begun hanging out with. There was one time where she tried to defend him during their fifth year at Hogwarts. Severus was so upset that he got angry at her. He called her a mud blood, which is a very bad name for muggle borns”

“When he realized what he did, Severus went and tried to apologize. Lily would not accept it though, because she was done with all of his excuses. Lily knew that Severus had been calling people of her birth mud bloods, so Lily asked Severus why is she different? Severus had no answer for her, because he did not want to tell her the real reason. He loved her, and that was the only reason that Severus treated her differently."

" Lily was also angry with Severus because she knew that he was going to become a death eater. They are followers of Lord Voldemort, who was the greatest dark wizard of all time. That was the last time that Severus always talked to Lily. Severus became a death eater, and even though he had not talked to her, Severus still thought about Lily."

" Lily finished school and James, the boy who tormented Severus in school. Together Lily and James joined The Order of The Phoenix. The Order was a group that fought against Lord Voldemort. Lily had given birth to a baby boy, who was only a year old when Snape over heard a prophecy."

" The prophecy began like this ‘The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches, Born to parents who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month ends.’ But this was all that Severus managed to hear before he got thrown out of the bar. After hearing the prophecy, Severus ran to the dark lord, telling him everything that he heard. The Dark Lord decided that the boy in the prophecy was Lily’s son.”

“When Severus heard that he begged that Lily be spared. Voldemort’s only reply was that he would consider it. Severus knew otherwise. Voldemort was going to kill Lily, and Severus wouldn’t let that happen if he could help it. So, Severus set out to talk to Albus Dumbledore. Severus pleaded with Dumbledore to hide Lily and her family. In return, he would do anything, for his love of Lily outweighed his duty to Voldemort. Well, Dumbledore hid Lily and her family."

" Severus, in return, became the potions master at Hogwarts and a spy against Voldemort. This sacrifice didn’t do anything to help. Lily and James put their trust in the wrong person, and that person betrayed them to Voldemort. He found the place where Dumbledore had hidden them and killed Lily and James. Voldemort tried to kill their young son as well, but he could not succeed. The killing curse, meant for the small boy, had rebounded and destroyed Voldemort.”

“Dumbledore got word of what happened and delivered the boy to his Aunt and Uncle’s, with only a note of how important this young child was to the wizarding world, and that he was to be kept save. Back at Hogwarts, Dumbledore called Severus up to his office and delivered the terrible news." 

"Severus was overcome with grief at the murder of his only friend. It felt like his world was over. Severus told Dumbledore that he had wished that he was dead, but Dumbledore told him that he would be of no help to anyone. Dumbledore needed help protecting Lily’s son and Severus would be the one to help him.”

“He does not need protection. The dark lord has gone-” Severus told Dumbledore.

“The Dark Lord will return, and the boy will be in terrible danger when he does.” Dumbledore argued.

Severus agreed to help Dumbledore, but no one could know. When her son came to Hogwarts, Severus watched over him from afar. Severus didn’t like the boy though. He was too much like his father James, who had bullied Snape in school, but Severus still watched over the boy. He saved Lily’s son multiple times throughout the boy’s time at Hogwarts. During his first year, Severus saved the boy from falling off a bewitched broomstick, and The boy defeated Voldemort once again after meeting him in a weakened form.

“During the boy’s second year, the heir of Slytherin opened The Chamber of Secrets. Many of the students at school thought that it had been Lily’s son because he could speak to snakes, which only Salarzar Slytherin could do."

" It turned out that Voldemort, who had managed to possess one of the boy’s housemates, opened the Chamber of Secrets and was, rightfully, the heir of Slytherin. The housemate that Voldemort had possessed had almost died, but Lily’s son had saved her and killed Voldemort for a second time, but this next success would not come without a price. The boy had almost died, but he managed to live with the help of a Phoenix.”

“During his third year of school, a prisoner had broken out of Azkaban. The prisoner, a man named Sirius Black, had been there for killing twelve muggles and a wizard named Peter Pettigrew. Sirius had been a friend to James Potter and had participated many times in the bullying of Severus Snape. It was also thought that Sirius had betrayed the Potter’s and that he was the reason that they were dead."

" Sirius broke out of Azkaban and tracked down James’ son, with the help of another school friend of his and James, Remus Lupin. Lupin was the boy’s professor that year, and it was thought that he had helped Sirius break into Hogwarts. At the end of the year, the boy had run into Sirius. Many believed that Sirius wanted to kill the boy; however, he just wanted to explain everything. With the help of Lupin, Sirius explained to the boy that he had not betrayed his friends or killed anyone."

" Peter Pettigrew had killed those muggles, faked his own death, and betrayed the Potters to Voldemort. He also confessed that he was the boy’s godfather, which the boy knew by means of eavesdropping on a conversation. While they were explaining this to Harry, Snape found them and tried to take Sirius back up to the castle. The boy, not wanting his Godfather to go back to prison, hexed Severus."

" The boy would regret this though, because once outside, Lupin transformed into a werewolf. He tried to attack the boy, but Snape protected the boy and his friends. Even though Sirius had escaped the prison, he was still on the run because there was no proof that he was innocent.”

“The boy’s fourth year came around, and this was a particularly exciting year because the Triwizard tournament came to Hogwarts. This is a very old tradition where three schools get together, and compete for the Triwizard cup. Each school has one champion, but this year was very different. Hogwarts had two champions. The boy was one of them, along with one of his schoolmates, Cedric Diggory. The thing that startled people the most was that the boy was not old enough to compete, but he was forced to because of the rules. There were three tasks that the champions had to complete. The first was getting a golden egg from a dragon. The second was finding a way to rescue a friend who was being held captive under water."

" The final task was to make your way through a maze to get to the triwizard cup. The boy and Cedric Diggory both grabbed the cup at the same time, causing them to be transported to a graveyard. In this graveyard, the boy watched Cedric die and Voldemort come back to power. The boy managed to get back alive, with Cedric’s body, and tell Dumbledore that Voldemort was back."

" As you can imagine, the boy almost died that night in the graveyard, but that night the boy almost died twice. A man, who had pretended to be the boy’s DADA professor, had tried to kill him that night as well. Severus was there to save the boy again. One of his death eater friends, who had been the headmaster of one of the visiting schools, wanted Severus to flee with him earlier in the year."

" Severus declined this offer. He never thought of fleeing, like his friend, when his dark mark grew darker. He had told his to Dumbledore and Dumbledore told Severus that he thought that they had sorted people into houses much too soon, for Severus was a much braver man than his death eater companion.”

“After that fourth year, and throughout much of his fifth year, very few believed the boy when he had said that Voldemort was back. That year, the new DADA professor took control of the school and eventually became headmistress. One of the rules that she had was that there was to be no magic used in her class. This didn’t sit well with the boy, so he created a group called Dumbledore’s Army, and he taught his fellow schoolmates defensive spells."

" Also during that year, Voldemort began to invade the boy’s mind. The reason for this was that he wanted the prophecy that had been foretold when the boy was born. This prophecy was the one that Severus had told Voldemort about, and since he did not hear all of the prophecy, Voldemort wanted to know the end of it. It was a new connection between Voldemort and the boy, and this new connection made many people worry. There were few who thought that this was a good thing. The boy was one of those who thought it was a good thing because it had saved the life of your Grandpa."

" Because of this connection, Dumbledore wanted the boy to learn to close his mind to these visions. He sent the boy to Severus, in hopes that he could teach him Occulmency. During his lessons, Severus told the boy that this connection would allow his mind to become a weapon, and that is exactly what it became.”

“The boy got a vision that Sirius was being tortured by Voldemort for the whereabouts of the prophecy. Worried about his Godfather, the boy sought a way to save Sirius. This caused the boy to get caught by the Headmistress. She called Severus to give her a truth telling serum, but he had none left. The boy was desperate to find help so he gave Severus a cryptic message. “They had pad foot in the place where it is hidden.” He had told Severus. When asked about what it meant, Severus told the headmistress that he had no idea what the boy was talking about."

" The boy had managed to escape from the headmistress, and go save Sirius. When he got to the place where he saw Sirius being tortured, he found that Sirius had not been there. The boy had led his friends into a trap. The boy managed to find the prophecy, then the death eaters arrived. They had come for the prophecy, but the boy would not give it to them. A huge fight ensued, and eventually the boy’s friends had been captured. The boy was going to hand over the prophecy so that his friends would be freed, but before he could, Sirius and the Order came. The boy and Sirius fought two death eaters and defeated them, but that didn’t stop the unthinkable from happening. A death eater, who was related to Sirius, cast the kill curse the hit Sirius. The boy was distraught over his Godfather’s death, but he chased after the death eater.”

“The boy was about to kill the death eater who had taken his Godfather from him, when Voldemort appeared and tried the kill the boy. Dumbledore appeared out of nowhere and saved the boy from a certain and early death. The fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort was a very short fight because Voldemort disappeared. Dumbledore told the boy to stay where he was, for the professor feared that Voldemort would return. Voldemort did come back, but he was not visible. He came back and attacked the boy’s mind again. The boy managed to fight Voldemort, causing him to come back. Voldemort made threats to the boy, saying that he would lose everything. By this time it was early morning, and people had started arriving to work. One of them was the Minister of Magic, and when he saw Voldemort, he knew that the boy had been telling the truth all along.”

“Back at Hogwarts, The boy had blamed himself for his Godfather’s death. He was angry that Sirius had died. Dumbledore had explained to the boy that Severus had gotten the message and told the Order what was happening. They had also discussed the prophecy and how one of the them, the boy or Voldemort, had to kill the other because neither could live will the other was alive. That marked the end of the boy’s fifth year. Over that summer, Dumbledore found a ring that had been cursed. Dumbledore had put it on, and almost died. Had it not been for Severus, he surely would have died. Severus was able to trap the curse in his hand after Dumbledore had destroyed the ring."

"Both men agreed that Dumbledore had a year, at best, left to live. No one except them had know about this when the new school year started. The boy was very worried about Dumbledore’s hand, but the headmaster assured him that there was nothing to worry about; however, there was a lot to worry about. Dumbledore knew of a plan that Voldemort had. He wanted a boy named Draco, whose parents were death eaters, to kill Dumbledore. Since Dumbledore knew of this plan, he had asked Severus to help Draco while he was at school. Lily’s son had an idea that Draco was up to something, but he couldn’t prove it."

" Near the end of the year, the boy was summoned by Dumbledore to accompany him on a journey, which would aid in the downfall of Voldemort. The boy went with him, making sure that his friends were watching Draco, because the boy had a feeling that something was happening that night.”

“The boy went with Dumbledore, and they had managed to find a Horcrux. A Horcrux is an object in which someone can place a piece of there soul in it, causing that person to be invincible until that piece is destroyed. This Horcrux had a piece of Voldemort’s soul in it. Getting this Horcrux was very dangerous, causing the boy to almost die and Dumbledore to weaken himself in order to obtain it. Once they had the Horcrux, the duo apparated to Hogsmead and saw the Dark Mark hanging over the school. As they made there way up to the school, the boy feared that one of his friends was dead because the Dark Mark meant that someone had died."

" When they had reached the school’s astronomy tower, Dumbledore was weaker than ever. He asked the boy to go get Severus, and bring him up here. The boy, most unwillingly, began to go get Severus, but he had been hit with a body binding curse. No one could see him because he was under a cloak of invisibility. He watched as Draco disarmed Dumbledore, and confess to him about how he had tried to kill the headmaster, but only end up hurting students. More of Draco’s comrades, whom he had managed to smuggle into the school, joined him and Severus was the last person the join Draco and the other death eaters. The sight of Severus joining the Death Eaters shocked Lily’s son because he did not know where Severus’ loyalties were. Lily’s son thought that Severus was a bad guy, but didn’t understand why he was always protecting the boy. Lily’s son watched as Severus killed Albus Dumbledore.”

“The Death Eaters fled and the boy gave chase. When they had found there way to the grounds, the boy shot a curse at Severus. Severus blocked it easily. The boy shot a spell that Severus that he had found written in his potions text book. This spell angered Severus because it was a spell of his creation. The boy called Severus a coward and tried to kill Severus, but the spells kept being blocked. Severus blocked a powerful spell that came back at the boy, causing him to fall over, and giving Severus the chance to get away. The boy went to Dumbledore’s body, and found the Horcrux that they found only hours before. It turned out that the Horcrux was not real, which meant that Dumbledore had died for nothing."

" Over the summer, The boy kept playing Dumbledore’s death over and over in his mind, much as he did Sirius the year before. He vowed that if he ever met Severus, he would kill the coward. That summer, he was also able to leave his Aunt and Uncle’s house. The Order helped move the boy to his friends house. On the way there, they fought the death eaters and Voldemort. After they had arrived, one of the boy’s professors was dead, one of his friends was hurt, and the boy’s owl was dead. The boy had almost died, but his wand had acted on its own, driving Voldemort away. Also during that summer, the Minister of Magic was killed and the ministry had fallen. Even though the boy had one more year of school, he did not return to Hogwarts. He had to finish finding the Horcruxes and he had to defeat Voldemort. The boy and two of his friends who came with him almost died on multiple occasions. They had most of the horcruxes, but the last one they needed to find was at Hogwarts, so that is where they went.”

“The moment that the trio had returned to Hogwarts, Voldemort and his followers appeared as well thus causing an enormous battle. During that battle, the boy watched Severus die at the hands of Voldemort. When Voldemort had disappeared, The boy went to Severus’ side. Severus gave the boy some memories, and shortly after that death took Severus Snape. The boy took the memories and looked at them. The memories showed the boy that Severus knew Lily, and that Severus had been a good man after all. He learned that Severus killed Dumbledore because Albus was already dying. The boy also learned that he would have to willingly give himself up to Voldemort, and allow himself to be killed. And that is exactly what the boy did. He marched up to Voldemort and gave up his life. The only thing wrong with that is the boy did not die. He was alive. He waited and finally, once and for all, killed Voldemort.”

“Many had died during that battle, and everyone hailed the boy a hero. However, the boy tried to tell everyone that Severus was the real hero, that Severus gave far more than the boy ever could. No one listened to the boy though. When it was time to bury those who had died, The boy volunteered to write Severus’ eulogy because he knew that no one else would. In his speech, the boy only said good things about how brave, selfless, and courageous Severus was. It took a while but soon people started to see that Severus was a very good man. The ministry gave him war medals even though he was dead. Now Severus, who was always thought of as a death eater, was thought of as the man who helped change the Wizarding world for the better.”


“Now it is time to go to bed, son.”

Harry god up, tucked his son in and left the room. Harry made his way down to the living room as a tear ran down his face. He didn’t enjoy telling Albus about Sirius and Dumbledore’s death because he felt as if those deaths were his fault. He didn’t even know whose death affected him more. Sirius was the father and brother that he never had all rolled into one and Dumbledore had always been there for him.

 Harry had to push it out of his mind, or he would break down. Brushing a tear from his face, Harry sat down on the couch and put his arm around Ginny.

“I love you Ginny.” Harry whispered to Ginny, who was reading a book.

“I love you too, Harry.” Ginny looked up. “Did Albus make you tell him that story again?”

“Yes.”

“I’ve told that boy to stop asking you. He’s much too young.” Ginny voice had a hint of exasperation.

“He doesn’t even know that it is real, honey.”

“Yeah, but he doesn’t see that it hurts you to tell him that story.”

“It doesn’t matter. I am okay with telling him that story. I think he looks up to Professor Snape. I think that it is important for him to have a hero at his age, I never did.”

There was a sound of a door opening upstairs.

“It sounds like Lily is awake. I’ll put her back in bed.” Ginny got up and left the room.

This gave Harry a moment to breathe and relax. He caught a picture of his family on the mantle of the fire place. He had a beautiful wife and three great children. If Snape and Sirius were alive, they would have been proud of Harry.

“I really need to stop dwelling on the past.” Harry told himself.

A telephone ringing brought Harry out of his thoughts and pulled him back into the present. Harry reached over and picked up the phone.

“Hello.” He answered.

“May I speak to Harry James Potter?” The voice said.

“This is him.”

“I have something that may be of importance to you. Meet me tomorrow night, 10 o’clock, at the place where it ended for the one he ever feared. Don’t be late.” The dial tone buzzed in Harry’s ear before he could respond.

Harry took the phone away from his ear, but did not set it down. He sat there staring at it in disbelief until he heard Ginny speak.

“Who was that?” She questioned

“No one.” Harry answered. “Someone who wants me to meet him tomorrow night.”

“Do you know who he is?”

“No.”

“Where does he want you to meet him?”

“He said ‘where it all ended for the only one he ever feared.’”

“He wants you to meet him at Hogwarts?”

“Yeah.”

“Well are you going?” Ginny questioned with worry in her voice.

“I have to. He said that he had something important to tell me. His voice sounded familiar, but the person who it belongs to is dead. I may have imagined it though.”

“I think you are just tired.” Ginny encouraged

“I think you are right. It couldn’t possibly be him.”

Chapter End Notes:
I know it is a little long, and I pretty much summarized the entire Harry Potter series; however, it will come into play later on in the story.