Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1
 

A tall, dark and.....imposing.....wizard strode into the waiting elevator at St Mungo's Hospital, black robes twirling and swirling as he turned to press the button for Level Nine, Magical Maladies - Potions Research Department. He leant against the wall and allowed himself a slight, satisfied smirk as the door began to close, giving him sole occupancy of the lift.

"Hang on!" An arm appeared through the small aperture, forcing the door to slide open again, and a shorter, equally dark, but somewhat dishevelled looking man stumbled in.

"Phew, thank goodness," he said. "Level Six, please."

The first wizard turned to glare at the newcomer, who seemed to have mistaken him for a lift attendant.

"Potter?"

"Snape! Uh, hello Professor. Long time, no see. What are you doing here?"

"Working," snapped Snape, jabbing at the button for the requested floor.

"Oh, I thought you were still at Hogwarts, sir."

"I am. However, your testimony after the war afforded me a status which offered the opportunity to negotiate favourable terms of employment, allowing me a certain amount of free time for potions research projects. So, here I am."

"Oh. Right. Ginny's having a baby!" Harry blurted out.

"Well, I hardly thought you needed Level Six - Maternity for yourself," replied Snape sarcastically, nodding at the list of departments next to the buttons on the lift wall.

The two wizards eyed each other warily as the lift began to ascend. Before either could speak again there was a grating noise followed by a loud bang, and the lift stopped neatly between floors three and four.

A tinny sounding female voice floated into the lift. "Please remain calm. There is a fault, but our repairwizards will have the problem fixed shortly. Please remember that Apparition and Portkey travel are prohibited outside the designated areas of this hospital."

 

*

 

"Where have those damn repairwizards got to. How long are they going to take" said Harry, anxiously running his hands through his already unruly hair.

"If they're on lunch break it could be a while," replied Snape."They won't hurry themselves."

"This can't be happening! I need to be out of here now," exclaimed Harry. "Can't you cast Reparo, sir?"

Snape gave Harry a patent ‘Do you share the brain of a flobberworm' look well-remembered from school. "Obviously, I could, as could you Potter, if either of us had the slightest idea as to precisely what is broken."

Harry gave him a nervous grin. "Sorry, Professor. Panic talking."

"Surely you are not afraid of confined spaces?" asked Snape in disbelief.

"Hardly," Harry huffed. "No, it's just that I promised Ginny I would be with her this time."

"Oh, heck," continued Harry as a silver horse Patronus trotted through the lift wall, and addressed him in Ginny's voice. "Harry bloody Potter! Where the hell ....ohh!....are you? How long does it take to drop the boys off with Andromeda? If you don't get yourself here in five minutes you can forget all about....aahh!...the Quidditch team you wanted. In fact you can forget all about conjugal rights ever again!!" With a snort, the Patronus disappeared.

Snape stopped Harry as he reached for his wand.

"I hope you don't intend casting your oversized, gaudy Patronus in this enclosed space."

"I'm certainly going to reply to my wife," Harry asserted. "Expecto patronum" he whispered. "Hang on Gin. I'm stuck in the lift here at St Mungo's, but they should have it fixed any moment. Be with you soon. I love you." "Go to Ginny" he ordered.

"Mr Potter! I have to admit to being impressed. You have a secondary Patronus form?" Harry nodded. "That is a very rare talent indeed - when many so-called wizards cannot even produce a true Patronus."

"Thanks," Harry grinned. " ‘Prongs' is still great for dementors and crowd control, and does come easier in an emergency, but ‘Hedwig' has been invaluable for more discreet messages. She took me a while to perfect though."

 

*

 

"For heaven's sake stop pacing Potter, you're starting to make me nervous." Snape searched in his pockets.

"Sherbet lem..."

"Lemon dro...."

"Oh, not you as well," laughed Harry as he selected a sweet from the battered tin Snape was holding out towards him.

"Indeed," came the reply as Snape reached into the crumpled paper bag Harry was offering him.

"So," continued Snape, conjuring a large, well-stuffed cushion and gracefully seating himself on the floor, "tell me, Potter, has your Auror career lived up to expectations?"

 Harry hesitated a moment, then folded himself onto the floor, endeavouring to hide his admittedly rather scruffy trainers from view as he looked at Snape's highly polished boots. He wrapped his arms around his knees and rested his chin on top.

"Yes. No. Well, yes - it was great at first, but there are so many rules and regulations you're expected to abide by as you get to be more senior, and I've always solved problems best relying on instinct and impulse," he said. "Plus, it's fine when you're single, but not so good when you have a family. Actually I'm planning a change."

Harry looked at Snape suspiciously. "Did you put Veritaserum in those sweets?"

Snape merely raised his eyebrows.

"No, I suppose you wouldn't," Harry continued, "but I've not told anyone else yet, so don't you go talking to the likes of Rita Skeeter.  Yes," he sighed, noticing Snape's slight sneer, "some people still consider it news if Harry Potter so much as cuts his finger. Anyway, I definitely intend to resign. I don't want to miss any more time with my family than I have to. I was off on an assignment when James was born, then in court when Albus Severus arrived early and..."

"Albus what?" Snape interrupted.

Green eyes met deep brown.

"Severus. Didn't you know? Oh, I suppose you don't read the personal announcements column in the Prophet." Harry grinned at the look of disgust that flitted across Snape's face. "Of course you don't. Actually, it was Ginny's idea - she thought it went well with Albus, but we were both grateful for all you did during the war. It's a pity we've rather lost touch with you since."

He considered a moment, "Look, when we're settled with the new baby I'll invite you over to meet the extended family. No - it will be good," he said as Snape made to demur, "Ron has been terrifying Teddy Lupin with tales of the evil dungeon bat.  You'll be able to show him it's no..."

"True!" Snape interjected forcefully, but with a faint smile.

 

Then with a loud clunk, the lift juddered and shuddered before beginning to ascend again.

"Thank goodness!" exclaimed Harry, scrambling to his feet.

"Good luck, Potter," called Snape through the still opening door as Harry's footsteps clattered hurriedly down the corridor.

"Thanks Professor," came the reply. "I'll Owl you."

The End.