Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I know this one was pretty snappy but unfortunately I doubt any of the next chapters will be,
I have also attempted to increase the length...
The Other Half

Severus was stressed. Though years of practice allowed him to hide it and other revealing emotions, there were tell tale signs if one knew where to look. Nothing as pathetic as shaking hands, gritted teeth or rapid breathing; those were for the weak minded. Yet every few seconds Severus's nostrils flared slightly hinting at his increasing ire and rising blood pressure.

The sleeping draught bubbled merrily colour changing from dark green to pale lilac, indicating the last phrase of the potions process. Snape set a timer for 2 hours, sealed the cauldron to prevent any accidental spillages and checking the doors were sealed and warded allowed his mind to wander back to the cause of his worries.

Staff meetings were never good, Severus knew he was a private person and his lack of connections with his colleagues only served to proved it. Whilst he respected most of the other teachers and could work with them tolerably well, extended periods of contact left him annoyed and bad tempered.

Staff meetings were the worst; not only was he forced into prolonged contact with all his contemporaries - including those of whom he found brought alarming death-eater urges to the surface - but meetings before the new school year were infallibly about the hoards of snotty children that were ready to invade Hogwarts with their lack of manners and short attention spans.

No, staff meetings were very bad indeed.

When the previous week ,Dumbledore, with eyes twinkling bright enough to blind had announced the dreaded prospective 'first years' meeting would take place a week early, Severus's heart had plummeted with the sickening realisation that something was up. He just hadn't realised how bad that something was.

FLASHBACK

Severus swept sharply into the staffroom taking care to allow his robes to billow out behind him - any opportunity to intimidate others and therefore discourage the idle prattle and chatter people otherwise felt need to subject him to the better. Everyone else was already seated and Severus took the last chair, which was, he was pleased to notice, dark blue in colour and thankfully a little separated from the others. The staffroom did contain some rather horrendous multicoloured chairs and sofas which Snape tried to avoid at all cost.

"Ahh", said the Headmaster rubbing his hands together gleefully, "everyone present and correct at last!"

Snape was rather alarmed to notice that Dumbledore was almost bouncing with childish excitement; inwardly groaning he sunk further back into his chair. Whatever the reason behind the bringing forward of the meeting he was positive it wouldn't be to his liking.

"You are all aware of course", the headmaster continued in excited tones, "that the list of the new students has arrived."

This news was met with excited whispering from most of the room and Severus valiantly held back the urge to roll his eyes. Same every year, it was just more ill behaved children to join the masses, more dangerous cretins with the chance to blow themselves up in the potions lab. No wonder he was moody all the time.

Once the room fell silent, Dumbledore spoke again, "Every year is exciting however this year we are especially lucky to be welcoming Harry Potter not only to Hogwarts but also the Wizarding world."

His heart which had remained at about shin level since hearing of the early meeting fell further, sinking through the floor to his ingredient cupboard deep below in the castle dungeons.

"Finally", exclaimed Minerva, "I can't wait to see how turned out!"

Severus sent her a withering glare; he knew exactly how Potter would be; conceited, arrogant and utterly spoilt – a traditional pampered brat. Could he never escape the curse that seemed to be Potter?

Tactful as ever, Hooch screeched "I wonder how much he looks like James now? He was a near perfect match as a baby." This opened the floor gates for more excited chatter and Severus started to count to 30 in an attempt to keep his frustration at bay.

He hunched his shoulders higher and higher and turned his frown to 'death-glare six' as the meeting descended into nothing more than a Harry Potter adulation hour – Snape could now definitely feel a head ache coming on.

"Well", he said standing abruptly, "I sense I am no longer needed, if you would please excuse me." and made hastily for the door. There, almost there, his fingertips brushed the cold metal of the door handle.

"One moment Severus"

Damn and Blast, he knew it was too be true. Never let it be said Albus Dumbledore did bad news by halves. With great trepidation Snape turned, drawing his robe around him like some attempt at protection. Dumbledore twinkled merrily at him, "I've been considering for some time exactly who should retrieve Mr Potter and I must say that you Severus seem to be the most sensible choice."

Snape expected for a sudden jarring to signify the end of the world at least, yet here he stood the rest of the staff matching and reflecting his utter surprise and confusion. The Headmaster merely smiled serenely and Severus narrowed his eyes to slits in response.

"I am most certainly not the sensible and choice and besides", he added quickly, "I have far too many vital potions to complete and very little time in which to do so."

Satisfied with his answer Snape once more turned for the door. A quick escape would be the best option for sure. He had managed to open the door half-way and could almost taste freedom when Dumbledore spoke again his voice tinted with a hard edge, "Severus my dear boy I do not believe I was making a request."

END FLASHBACK

And lo Severus had been saddled with fetching the dratted Potter boy. The usually calming task of potion making had failed miserably in helping to compose himself and the headmaster's deadline was advancing rapidly.

Storming determinedly into his private chambers Snape set about finding suitable 'muggle' clothing. He had considered simply transfiguring his current robes however with his emotions in such a mess it was risky as they spell might suddenly cut off, leaving him looking quite the fool.

Moreover transfiguration had never been his strong point, James Potter's natural talent in that particular class had seen to that. Snape sighed and swiftly pulled on the passable suit he had found at the bottom of his wardrobe. He was a little reluctant to put this precise suit on as it had last been worn to the Lily's parent's funeral. Overall the entire enterprise was turning out to be one great unwanted trip down memory lane.

Tucking his wand up his sleeve Severus made a few final adjustments to his appearance and with no little sense of foreboding stepping into the floo.

"Privet Drive"