Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Truth
In all his years as death-eater, spy and teacher, Snape could barely remember being more shocked. He had thought the boy being mute had been a surprise.

Galvanising his mind back into action with some effort, Severus returned to the more pressing matter of the clearly terrified child in front of him. “Really Mr Potter, calm down. You have already adequately disproved your own theory! What is the writing on your arm, if not an example of Magic?” Potter seemed to move to disagree but Severus decided it was time to assert his authority and get moving. He would have an entire year to convince the boy and investigate the strange phenomenon that was Potter’s golden writing.

“I can perform magic too Mr Potter, are you calling ME a freak?” Potter shook his head violently and held up his hands in a conciliatory gesture; Snape acknowledged that at least the child wasn’t deliberately rude. The boy gestured questioningly at his arm, the writing now faded slightly, and Severus replied with care, “I will admit to your…condition being a little unusual; but it is most likely just a particularly powerful manifestation of accidental magic.”

Severus didn’t feel the need to tell Potter just how strong such magic and therefore the wizard would have to be, no need for him to get big headed. The boy appeared as if he wanted to argue but obviously didn’t dare, instead wrote,

BUT HOW AM I GOING TO PAY FOR THIS SCHOOL? I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY!

No money! The Potter vault was infamous!

“Mr Potter your family vaults are very well stocked, if the rumours are to be believed, what is more your school fees were paid as soon as you were born.”

This was evidently news to the boy, if the staggered look on his face was anything to go by. Just how little had he been told? Albus had always insisted it be better for the ‘Golden Child’ to be kept in the dark and well away from the wizarding world, but surely not this far.

Potter was writing again and Severus craned his neck to read it.

HOW? MY PARENTS WERE DRUNKEN WASTRELS WHO GOT THEMSELVES KILLED IN A CAR CRASH!

“CAR CRASH!” Severus exploded; whilst he could definitely allow such a slur to fall on the deceased James Potter - Lily was a different matter. How dare Petunia and her husband defile Lily’s memory in such a way?

“Your parents were NOT drunkards and they most certainly did NOT die in a car crash!”

At this Potter seemed to lose his inhabitations and instead of writing on the fiddly scraps of paper, conveyed his thoughts on his arm.

HOW THEN?

Severus was about to reply; when it occurred to him that the story he was about to tell would require a slightly more delicate touch than him, simply bawling the information across the room at the boy. Furthermore, the child was obviously still tense and stood balanced on the balls of his feet; ready for flight at the first sign of anger.

Making a conscious effort to calm down, relax and appear less threatening; Snape took a seat on the gaudy sofa furthest from Potter. From what he had witnessed so far, nothing would get done if he crowded the boy.

“Mr Potter I will tell you exactly what you need to know IF you do not interrupt.” Looking directly at the child, Severus saw Potter nod jerkily in cautious agreement and preparing himself mentally, started.

“10 years ago, around the time in which you were born, a dark wizard by the name of”, here Snape paused. Obviously he knew of the generally acknowledged taboo connected with saying the name Voldemort (you would have to have been living on the moon not to) but alas it was not this which had momentarily stopped him. For if a death-eater, spy or otherwise, was to speak Lord Voldemort’s name out loud and not use the more ‘respectful’ title of Dark Lord, they earned punishment through their ‘Dark Marks’.

The abomination had been gone - missing - for the last decade and yet he was still able to reach out and inflicted pain and misery.

From previous experience, Severus knew the ‘punishment’ was quite severe and therefore felt quite justified in steeling himself, before he continued.

“Voldemort!” There, viscous pain slashed doggedly up from his wrist to his shoulder, Severus had to strongly resist the urge to clutch at his arm in utter agony. Already it seemed the next generation of Potter was causing him harm.
“Or ‘he-who-must-not-be-named’ had risen to power. People, such as your parents, fought against him and were consequently targeted by him and his supporters. On the night of the 31st of October ‘he-who-must-not-be-named arrived’ at your family home in Godric’s Hollow and killed your parents. He also attempted to kill you.”

Snape quickly held up a hand to stem Potters obvious oncoming outburst, “No-one knows how exactly, but he was unable to kill you; in fact the curse which he used rebounded and destroyed him instead. You are therefore to be considered famous and universally recognized in the wizarding world,” Snape finished with a sneer.

Potter seemed to consider for a few seconds then asked,

SO HE’S DEAD THEN?

Severus sighed, “No Mr Potter, whilst many are under that impression, I and selected others believe he will return.”

The boy seemed to deflate,

AND WHEN HE DOES HE’LL BE AFTER ME. RIGHT?

Rather taken aback by Potter’s shrewd and frighteningly accurate insight, Snape replied automatically in the affirmative. He was curious to notice that, whilst the boy did seem a little…disappointed, he did not look in the least perturbed about the actual threat of an insane megalomaniac rising from the ‘dead’ and hunting him down. Severus decided to put it down to the foolish Gryffindor bravado the child was likely brimming with.

Severus did not want to continue discussing the subject; the boy should really being talking with someone who had NOT been a death-eater - perhaps Minerva - who could fill his head with stories of his disruptive and obnoxious father. Certainly Potter shouldn’t be learning the truth about his parents ‘noble’ deaths from a man who had spent a large majority of the war grovelling at the feet of a mad man.

As a result Snape waited for only a few seconds, in which the child could have asked another question, before changing the topic.

“I shall briefly speak with your relatives before we leave to acquire your supplies.”

Potter seemed slightly worried at this announcement but nonetheless replied ‘YES’ and followed Severus (leaving a noticeably large gap between them) out of the door. Locating quickly, what seemed to be the kitchen Snape set his face to death-glare seven and dramatically swept in – he had a few bones to pick with Petunia.

“Now that Mr Potter has been told the TRUTH about his parent’s death and his magical abilities,” Severus spat out snidely, “I will be taking him to purchase his school supplies. I expect some of my colleagues to be visiting soon – just to see how you’re doing”

He watched in satisfaction as Petunia’s face paled considerably; then preceded to obverse with ,well hidden, glee the remaining colour drain from her bony cheeks as he mentioned (the entirely fictional) impeding visit. Snape was absolutely certain the last thing Petunia wanted was the arrival of more abnormal ‘wizard’s’.

The baby whale, eating a bowl of trifle did not bother to raise his head from the sickly desert.

“Fine, it’s not like we wanted the Freak in the first place” spat Petunia, she peered round Severus and spoke directly to Harry, “Your lucky boy! That your Uncle’s not here!” Recognising the veiled threat Snape restrained the urge to hex the stupid woman in the face. Potter did not seem so controlled, appearing to shiver slightly and if it was possible, hold himself tighter. The warning bells rung once again, and Severus quickly filed the new scrutiny in the same place as the others.

Seemingly encouraged by the lack of response Petunia continued,

“Burden on my family, you should have died with your abnormal parents!” she pointed a crooked finger at Snape’s chest, “You and your kind can go to hell, utter freaks the lot of you!”

At this Severus really did draw out his wand; a childhood full of resentments bubbling to the surface, begging to be release with a couple of well aimed crucio’s. It was people such as the Dursleys, who gave the pure blood’s wild claims of magical superiority some basis. Who would be so stupid as to insult a fully trained wizard to their face? Really it was a wonder Petunia and her son could breathe and move at the same time, their brain function was so low.

Pointing the ebony shaft of his trusty wand in her horsey face, Severus spoke in low clear tones, “I would suggest most categorically, that you do not insult me so blatantly again. This was your first and last warning Petunia.” Vindictively pleased at the look of fear on her face, Snape praised himself for a job well done.

“Now if you don’t mind, Mr Potter and I shall be leaving.”

Petunia opened her mouth as if to argue, then obviously thinking better of it, settled instead for a narrow eyed glare. Severus, employing years of practice in the face of angered students, utterly scorned her pathetic attempt at intimidation and instead ushered Potter out of the front door.

Privet Drive was now overcast and grey; moreover Snape thought he could feel a few drops of rain.Therefore anxious to get moving, Severus did not bother to waste time explaining to the boy what he was about to do; instead he grabbed Potter’s shoulder, ignoring the boy’s brutal flinch, and apperated straight to the Leaky Cauldron.