Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Some quotes from the movie have been used in this chapter.
Meeting the basilisk

Harry led the way into the chamber and the others followed. What choice did Lockhart have once he was stuck down there with the boys...he didn’t know any special levitation spells to get himself out of there so he would have to just stay with them and see what happened. Hopefully his cowardice would not lead to his doom. However he had to try something. Lockhart grabbed Ron’s wand which was closest to him and said

“the adventure ends here boys. But don’t worry the world will know our story, how it was too late to save the girl, how you two tragically lost your minds. You first Mr Potter, say goodbye to your memories! OBLIVIATE!” He pointed the wand at Harry but Harry, being used to fast movements made himself hit the floor. Somehow, the magic went into a nearby wall causing it to start to tumble and then went straight back towards where it came and hit Lockhart himself.

Harry soon found himself on one side of the wall with Ron and Lockhart on the other.

“Harry, Harry!” Ron panicked...had Harry hurt himself..was he alright!!! Oh how he wished he could get through to him even if just to give him another hug. Those hugs somehow made him feel special, as if everything would be alright.

“I’m fine,” Harry stated, “How are you two?”

“We’re fine!” Ron said looking at Lockhart who was getting up from the ground.

“This is an interesting place this isn’t it?” Lockhart asked, “Do you live here?”

“No!” Ron stated.

 “Oh,” Lockhart stated... “And who are you?”

“Ronald Weasley” Ron stated.

“oh...good...and...and...who am I?” Lockhart asked.

“Lockharts memory charm backfired he hasn’t got a clue who he is!” Ron stated.

“I want to know...I...” Lockhart stated..but then he collapsed again onto the floor.

“I’m going to get Ginny,” Harry stated, “you shift some rock so we can come back.”

“Ok,” Ron said, “but Harry be careful. I may not want to lose my sister but I don’t want to lose you either...I love you!”

“You too Ron,” Harry stated as he walked off towards the middle of the chamber where he found another door and asked for it to open. The room he found was full of stone statues of snakes. Lying in the middle of the room was Ginny.

“Ginny wake up!” Harry yelled trying to shake Ginny awake.

“She won’t wake!” came a voice from the darkness.

Then a figure emerged.

“Tom is that you? Are you a ghost?” Harry asked. He was getting used to ghosts around Hogwarts. At least this one seemed kind of nice.

“No I’m not a ghost you blithering idiot,” Tom said rather upset by this motion, “I am a memory, kept alive for fifty years in a diary.”

“A memory? But how can a memory?” Harry asked.

“What do they teach you in that school? It’s one of the most basic forms of magic there is!” Tom said, which puzzled Harry. But he pushed that thought aside immediately and continued to try to revive his friend.

Tom we have to save her there’s a basilisk!” he said.

“It won’t come until its called,” Tom said, “and now that I’ve answered your question I have a question for you. How is it that a simple child was able to defeat the greatest wizard of all time and escape with only a scar?”

“Dumbledore is the greatest wizard of all time and what do you care? Voldemort was after your time!” Harry said bluntly.

“Voldemort is my past, present and future,” Tom said as he turned to write something in the air. The words..

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE

With a quick swipe of his wand the words rearranged themselves.

I AM LORD VOLDEMORT!

“Ginny wake up!” Harry reached into his pocket for his wand and Tom? No...that was Voldemort!! He reached out and grabbed Harry’s wand right out of his hand!

“I can’t have you magically awakening her,” Voldemort smirked, “after all, it is her life essence that will save me. As she grows weaker, I grow stronger and I shall take the wizarding world just like I should have been able to before.”

“NO!” Harry called out lunging for his wand. That was when Voldemort called forth the giant serpent from its lair. A large statue in the back of the room opened and the basilisk came slithering out.

KILL HIM! Tom hissed at the giant snake and it started to advance towards Harry. Harry started backing up away from it. He turned and fled running into a nearby tunnel. But unfortunately for him the mouth of the giant statue of Salazar Slytherin was opening and the basilisk was advancing.

(MEAT! KILL! TIME TO KILL!)

“Parseltongue won’t save you now Potter it only obeys me!” Voldemort roared.

Harry tried not to look at the basilisk as it entered the chamber he was in. Close enough that he could reach out and touch it before he realised...so looking in its eye is supposed to kill a person...he was going to get eaten anyway...so maybe if he just took a look it would make it much easier for him. So he turned around to face the enormous creature. He looked it straight in its great big yellow eye with his heart beating wildly...and....nothing happened...zilch...zero...nothing! Harry’s heart skipped a beat..he was alive!!! But the fact that he was this close to a basilisk soon took over that feeling.

What are you waiting for? (KILL HIM!) Came a roar from the other room. The basilisk raised its head back showing its fangs and started to come towards him.

(WAIT!!!) Harry commanded. This actually stopped the basilisk for a second...wait? what do you mean wait?!? It was thinking quickly...this was another speaker...who could look directly at him. It must be some kind of descendant from the great Slytherin and there was no way she would harm such a creature. Why do you want to do whatever he tells you? Why not think for yourself?

(I am the sole property of Salazar Slytherin the giant snake stated, I must do whatever his heir orders me to. I am ordained to.) It raised its head back as if to strike again at Harry baring it’s teeth, all jagged and pointed.

(But you don’t have to!) Harry stated, (he doesn’t treat you well, such a magnificent and beautiful creature as you deserves respect not orders.)

The basilisk looked at him almost proud? Looking at itself in the water and then again at Harry. Meanwhile Harry was trying to think fast, imagine what Hagrid would say to the creature if he was here. He seemed to have a charm for this kind of thing. But Hagrid was off in Azkaban for opening the chamber of secrets. Harry was sure that Hagrid would not have done such a thing, he hated everything dark and didn’t even like to associate with other giants if he could avoid it.  Which was why he lived as gamekeeper for the grounds of Hogwarts instead of in the mountains with the giants.

The basilisk turned its head from side to side as if thinking over what was being said to it.

(You really are quite a beautiful creature. The Hogwarts Gamekeeper would love to have a look at you if he could. I mean, if it was possible for him to look at you. He takes such care and pride in his work with magical creatures and he would treat you like a priceless treasure, not a worthless slave.)

The basilisk reared back again as if to strike.

(I mean you deserve only the best treatment by somebody who is trained in the area and would only treat you with the best of care and consideration and never force you to do things for selfish reasons.)

The basilisk tilted its head from side to side again as if taking in all of Harry’s words and thinking about what the best course of action would be to take. Then it looked straight at him.

(If I get rid of this other boy would you get me food? I am SOOOOOO hungry!) the snake said thoughtfully.

(Of course! And the gameskeeper would make sure you only got the best kind of food. Food that you would truely appreciate!) Harry said quickly.

(Well then what are we waiting for little human, let’s go!) the snake said.

Harry let out breath that he didn’t realise he was holding and followed the snake out of the tunnel. The snake let him pass her when entering back towards Tom.

(What would you like me to do with him master?) the basilisk said to Voldemort.

Harry felt completely betrayed and a sense of dread. This was it, he was going to die.

(Kill him you stupid beast!) Voldemort ordered.

The basilisk reared back and lunged directly at Voldemort!

(What are you doing you stupid monster. Get HIM! GET HIM!!!) Voldemort roared. But the basilisk took absolutely no attention to him as it snapped at him again trying to bite him in half! But of course as Voldemort hadn’t yet gained complete form the basilisk just ended up getting thin air.

(BITE THIS!) Harry shouted and he threw the diary at the basilisk.

The basilisk caught it in its mouth and light started to stream through Voldemort. As the snake slowly started chewing more light appeared around him until he simply disappeared. Ginny sat up looking at Harry.

 “Harry, it was me, but I swear I didn’t mean to. Riddle made me!” she stated.

“I know Ginny,” Harry said, “that doesn’t matter anymore. It is only a memory. Now let’s go find Ron,” he put a hand out to Ginny as the basilisk entered the statue of Salazar again.

(Remember your promise to me little human!) the basilisk said.

(Don’t worry I will be back for you soon.) Harry said. Ginny stared at him.

“Harry you are a parselmouth?” she said.

“Yeah I am,” Harry said confidently, “let’s go!”

Ginny took Harry’s hand and allowed for him to help her up. They walked together out to where Ron had just finished moving rock. He was panting and Lockhart was getting up from the ground.

“Now what?” Ron asked.

“Know any spells?” Harry asked.