Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Lesson Location

"Ronald, stop picking at your meal and sit up straight!" Molly stated frustrated at her son. Since Harry had come through the fire Ron had felt lonelier than ever. Instead of a smile and a hug he had seen him clinging close to Snape…a scene he never thought he would see. Harry had walked so close to Snape, hiding behind him, seemingly scared of so many people. Of course Molly had told him gently about Harry's memory problems, of how he didn't remember Hogwarts or anybody connected with it. But knowing that Harry had memory problems could never have prepared him for his best friend not even realising who he was. Hermione had Ginny who had wrapped her up in her arms when she had been rejected for a hug from Harry. But Ron felt like he had nobody, the only person that he always thought he could rely on he felt was gone. Here he was at the dinner table sitting right beside his best friend, yet he felt like there was a vast distance between them, as if Harry wasn't even there. That was why he simply stared at his food, eating it so slowly and wishing he could reach out to his friend. Something to end his feeling of complete isolation. He felt close to tears and merely sat there in silence as the rest of the family spoke with Snape.

"Hermione," Molly stated, "Severus had a fabulous idea," Molly stated as she was eating dinner. She knew that if she brought it up around all of the family Snape would more than likely agree. He was always a man that concerned himself with portraying the proper image, "he thinks that you can help Harry catch up on his last couple of years of schooling. Make sure that he remembers enough to enter third year after the summer."

Hermione smiled thinking of all of her books how useful they could be, and maybe by needing to teach it all to Harry it might be a good revision for herself as well! "That'd be great!" she said excitedly.

"I can teach him quidditch!" Ron blurted out with food in his mouth.

"We can help you little brother," said Fred, punching him lightly on the shoulder.

"after all we are on the quidditch team with him!" added George.

"Well it seems that it is settled Severus," Molly smiled at him waiting for him to respond. Snape, just sat there with his fork nearly up to his mouth completely shocked by Molly's audacity to think that behaviour such as this would be ok. To make matters worse at this moment Albus Dumbledore himself appeared through the fire.

"Molly, Arthur! I just came over to discuss the new year. Oh and Severus," Dumbledore stated looking as if he was completely surprised by his presence, "you're here…good. I was thinking that Harry should come to Hogwarts before the start of the new year, just to become accommodated to the place and to know where to go when the school year commences. We can't have him looking like a first year student can we?"

Snape felt silently furious as Harry's accommodation and education was being planned seemingly without his consent. "Dad can I go show Hermione the Ebullio charm?" Harry asked grasping Snape's attention away from his current focus. Ron looked jealously at Hermione who had been talking quietly to Harry. Why is it that SHE got his attention and he wanted to show this to HER? So what if it was an easy child's charm. It should be Ron who was being shown it not Hermione! Ron stood from the table and ran from the room causing Molly to stand up and follow her son from the room. Harry remained looking at his father from the table hopefully who said, "yes Harry, you are excused to show Hermione the charm."

"Can we go too dad?" Fred and George asked Arthur simultaneously.

"Of course you can, take Ginny with you," Arthur stated happily glad to have a chance to speak openly with Snape and Dumbledore about his concerns.

Snape just sighed, he wanted what was best for Harry but after Molly had already demonstrated that summer how Harry's safety could be compromised with her, Snape wanted him to remain closer to home where he would be able to keep a closer eye on him. But having Hemione teaching him could come in handy for more than one reason. First he would have a chance to ensure there were enough potions in Madam Pomfrey's stores to last throughout the year, he could check to see if his services were needed at St Mungo's and he could even check on Lucius and a few of his other death eaters…well…he wouldn't really call them friends…but lets just say he knew certain people who would more than willingly give information on the dark lords whereabouts if they knew anything. Yes, this move could possibly benefit everybody. But then on the other had Harry being able to see Hogwarts before the start of year would make it easier for him so he wouldn't look like a shocked first year or even more embarrassingly think he was and go see Hagrid for the boat trip across the lake! It was something that needed more than just a few moments to consider and yet these people seemed to be forcing decisions upon him long before he was truly ready for them.

"After all children do need adult supervision and I may not be able to provide exactly what they need due to my skills being needed elsewhere. Of course the elves would be more than happy to attend to your every need whilst you stay at Hogwarts and there is plenty of room for you all in the teachers lounge…although maybe Harry might be more comfortable staying in Gryffindor tower as I am sure the others would. Think of it as a little vacation. It would give you a chance to work on your potions more Severus," Albus Dumbledore stated snapping Snape from his thoughts. Whilst the man did hold a point he felt that Harry still needed the comforts of his own home for a little bit longer.

Arthur seeing this reaction in Snape stated, "of course none of this is being forced upon you is it Albus? But it would be very good for Harry if you could both come to Hogwarts as soon as you can. Of course the family and I shall be staying too."

"School starts in only a couple of weeks and I am still concerned about his welfare," Snape stated, "his safety and its necessary for him to feel stable enough wherever he is to absorb a great deal of information before the year starts."

"Which is all the more reason why he needs to be at Hogwarts early Severus," Dumbledore stated taking a seat at the table, "Right now your home is as much a strange place to Harry as Hogwarts is, Molly told me about Harry's memory loss. He has spent more time in Hogwarts maybe the castle will feel vaguely familiar to him, after all he has only been inside your home for less than a couple of weeks against a few years spent at Hogwarts. It would be best for the boy Severus,"

"He is and will remain to be my son Albus," Snape stated feeling a little irate, how dare this man sit and tell him about what is best for his own son! It is for Snape to decide that not Albus Dumbledore! "Besides everybody here is a stranger to Harry," But Snape felt in his heart that maybe Dumbledore was right, even though it hurt maybe Hogwarts would be the correct place for him to be.

"Precisely Severus, everybody, including you," Arthur cut in.

"At least I have had a month with him how long have you had?" Snape retaliated.

"What Arthur means Severus," Dumbledore stated, "is that Harry hasn't really spent enough time with any of us to feel completely comfortable in his condition. Whilst you are correct that he has spent more time with you maybe he can come to Hogwarts when you feel he is ready, and maybe he can stay in Gryffindor tower, maybe I will need to add another bedroom to your quarters to cater for the boy. But his welfare is my first and foremost concern, as for his safety you know as well as I do that there is no safer place than Hogwarts. There are the wards, and nobody has broken into Hogwarts in over 50 years. I can help you Severus, if you let me."

"Please let us Severus, we want to help," Molly said reentering the room. Looking at the grief written all over Molly's face, he knew what the correct decision was. Even if he did not like it, the most important thing was Harry's safety, his well being and then his education.