Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Big Decision

"I think I shall go check on Harry," Snape stated standing from the table. Any excuse to leave that room and feel less pressure from the others was a good thing.

Molly sighed, "he will probably be out on the quidditch pitch with Fred and George, Severus. You are welcome to join them, but I can assure you that they are quite all right on the quidditch pitch together. The burrow has enough wards to keep him safe for a little while."

"Yes Molly, that is why Harry has been staying with YOU since first year," Snape stated in a sarcastic drawl.

"You know that the headmaster wouldn't allow for that," Molly stated then put her hand over her mouth as Dumbledore's eyes shot open with fury.

"You know that he was safer with the Dursleys, after all the blood wards were placed in at birth and would have supported him until he was sixteen!" Dumbledore stated.

"At birth?" Snape stood from the table feeling absolutely furious, "At BIRTH? You knew all along that you were intending on placing him with THEM! Despite the fact that Lily had made it quite clear to you how she despised her sister!"

"At least he wouldn't have been abused by us!" Arthur cut in feeling upset.

"Many things were done in the war effort and they were all for the best!" Dumbledore stated.

"Oh yes Albus," Molly stated, "it is always for the best that a child is abused why didn't I think of that before!"

"Well um…" Albus looked a little worried as it seemed the tables had turned, away from Snape and towards himself! "We all have to make little sacrifices!"

Having started this little uproar between the others Snape had a small smile as he stood from the table and walked out to the quidditch field.

Snape heard a sound as he closed the door behind him which made him smile. Harry's laughter floated towards him as if from a whisper on the wind. He followed the sound of happy children out to the edge of the quidditch pitch where he just stood and watched with a slight smile. It was so wonderful to see Harry having some fun with children his own age. Seeing him looking so happy and healthy. Without a care in the world with his friends. But the truth of the matter was that his son was not completely healthy, but maybe there would be an answer to that. Maybe he could find something to help, perhaps in the study or maybe his office at Hogwarts, some small detail that he may have overlooked.

Harry was the first to realise that Snape was standing there and he left the others and ran towards him.

"Come and join us Dad! Look everybody my dad is here!" Harry said happily, but his smile soon turned to a frown when he noticed the look of dismay on the rest of his friends faces.

"It's time to go inside children," Snape stated with stern look, "and Harry, son, we have outlived our welcome here. It's time to go home." Snape placed his arms around Harry and apparated them straight home without saying goodbye to the meddlesome fools inside.

"Goodbye Harry," Hermione said as she saw him leave, "I'll see you soon." Nobody heard her as Ginny was talking loudly to Fred and George about something and Hermione felt like she was simply in a world of her own. As she walked inside with the others. "Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley," Hermione stated.

"Please, call us Molly and Arthur dear," Molly said placing her arms around her, "what is the matter?"

"I think it's time for me to go home, my mother was expecting me back by tomorrow," she stated.

"Oh of course, you may use the floo dear," Molly stated, her thoughts returning to her youngest son. Seeing him so upset broke her heart and she wanted some how to be able to go to him and make it all better, but she knew that she couldn't and for now, the boy simply needed time. Time to recover from the pain of that first experience, of seeing Harry like that, of not feeling capable of helping. Giving someone time to recover from something and ignoring the urge to rush through their door and make it all better for them, is one of the hardest things to do in the world. But Molly knew if she left him long enough, he'd come back to her to ask questions and understand things better. She just had to wait for him to come in his own good time. But she only considered this for a few moments before her thoughts returned to Harry and Snape.

"Where's Harry?" Molly asked. Knowing that Severus was always a man who wanted his solitude and would come back in his own time but after the last time Harry was under her care she showed more concern for the boy.

"Professor Snape took him home," Hermione said as she grabbed some floo and disappeared into the flames.

"Yes Molly, I think it's time that I left too," Dumbledore stated as he apparated away leaving only his voice behind "try and think about what I said." Then he was gone.

Ron, unaware of his mother's turmoil, was simply lying on his bed thinking about all that she had said to him. Could it really be true that Harry didn't remember him? That first look, the first time he hugged him and the way that they had spoken to each other within the chamber of secrets were such strong events in Ron's mind that he couldn't imagine what it would be like for Harry to not be able to remember them. He felt so lost and alone. If only he hadn't run off with Harry that day, if only he had made sure that Harry was safe. His Harry, so strong and determined had become to act like a frightened child and Ron felt like a piece of himself had been lost and left behind. He thought back to his mothers words.

"Ronald sweetie, Harry has lost his memory of everything, everything dear, it's not his fault but…" Molly stopped for a moment as if trying to gasp her breath and hide a tear, "I'm sorry Ronnie, I didn't mean for any of this to happen. All you can do is support him. If there is an answer to help him regain his memory Severus will find it, he is a fantastic potions master and healer. But Ronnie, don't give up hope, Harry needs you. Now more than ever."

That was all she had said to him, nothing more, but the words seemed burned into Ron's memory. As he just sat on his bed and cried. Could it be true? Could he have lost his best friend? Was there any way to get him back again? Ron just sat thinking about what his mother said, to support him, and hope that Snape could find the answers. Yet his mother had said Harry needed him, maybe somewhere buried deep within, Harry did remember him? It was just that for whatever reason he couldn't access those memories when he wanted to. Maybe Snape could help Harry find what was going on, and maybe if he spent time with Harry, he could regain the friendship they once shared. Anything could be better than sitting in his room wishing that he could have it back again. Maybe…that was the answer. He stood to look around his room to find what quidditch things he had if any, as he had said over dinner that he would be willing to help Harry remember that. Maybe by playing some games of wizarding chess together he could have some time alone with him. Maybe it could be possible for him to have his best friend back, if he only worked on it.

"Hey Ron! Do you still have that book Quidditch through the ages?" Fred asked snapping Ron from his thoughts.

"Yeah I thought that book would be great to help Harry learn about the efforts of Pwerifnalawka and Japwerpaw they were two of the best seekers ever in the Canons…." George said who was interrupted by Fred stating "and what about Dweripe who was in the Japanese Especiala he was just incredible."

"Hey do you think Dad would lend us his quidditch board game?" Ron asked deep in thought.

"Great idea little brother!" George stated happily.

"Let's go ask him!" added Fred.

Another person who was looking for materials to help Harry, was Hermione, after returning home through the floo network she had started to look through all the books she had collected over the last few years which as she would put it, was simply "a fair few" maybe she could even have Harry read "Hogwarts, a history" it would be great to have somebody to talk about that book with. She had a few more books than was actually required by the first and second years of school, in fact her parents were thinking of adding another room to their house just for her to have her own personal library. They were both so proud of their little witch; wanting to do anything they could to support her.

"Hermione dear," her mother said at the door, "is there anything that your father and I can do to help? Maybe we could buy some things down in Diagon Alley together?"

"Oh Mum could we?" Hermione said picking up a nearby magazine "I have been looking through my mail and I found that there are a few things that could possibly help Harry and maybe we could get some helpful writing quills and some parchment which could help as well."

Hermione's mother looked at the page, "helpful writing quills, designed to access the hidden potential of any writer, helps with grammar, spelling and finding hidden ideas within the mind of the writer. The awesome power of magic shows the words written within the writers mind and corrects any spelling and grammar errors before they are written down thus eliminating any problems in the written words and adding any more correct information the writer may know but not be sure of."

"Sure honey we'll take you this afternoon," her mother said giving her daughter a hug.

If only Harry had this kind of upbringing, instead of being with the Dursley's where his magic was ridiculed and punished. But at least Harry had a new start, he had the ability to have a loving albeit strict father. A father who was frantically pacing his study thinking about what the best answer to keeping Harry's safety could be. When they had returned home Snape had insisted that his son go and read a book in the library. It would be the best thing for him and occupy his mind for a little while whilst he had a chance to think hard about what was going on.

What Dumbledore said about wanting Harry in Hogwarts made a lot of sense. After all he did need to return to school for the following year and there was also the problem that he needed to pass off as a third year student as those who had been to Hogwarts with him in the past would know there was something strange about him if he wasn't up to that standard and knew his way pretty well around the castle. However there was the problem that even though Hogwarts was considered to be the safest place in the world it seemed that ever since Harry started school there it had been nothing but havoc. Voldemort knew that Harry went to the school there, if he was behind this memory charm than he would most likely expect Harry to show up at the school some time or other and Snape did not want this to be a time that Harry could be once again taken. He would make sure that his son was at his side 24/7 if that's what was required to keep him safe. But Snape knew that even though this could temporarily be possible as soon as school started again he needed to return to his duties as potions teacher (even though at times he despised the job) and Harry would be required to go to his classes without anybody being any wiser to the idea that Harry was in any type of danger. Strangely enough it was more dangerous for people to be aware of Harry's situation than for people to be completely oblivious. Being oblivious to a situation gave a protection of sorts, for if nobody knew how weak Harry truly was in this state, he could not be a target.

At Hogwarts Harry had been harmed again, first the Philosophers Stone, why that thing was ever placed at Hogwarts was anybody's guess. Surely even sending it overseas would have been safer than putting it into a school full of curious children. Surely one of them would go looking to see what was being hidden, why it had to be his Harry who did so was anybody's guess. Then second year with one of Harry's closest friends being given one of Voldemort's old school things, was about as safe as leaving a toddler in a cage with a six foot long python! With Harry being able to speak parsel tongue an advent like that would mean that there was no end to how much trouble the boy could get himself into! However being at Hogwarts would give Snape the time to go through the library there, have quick access through international libraries through the librarian who made it her own personal mission to make sure that the newest and up to date books from anywhere world wide, were at the library. It always seemed that no matter how many books Madam Pince got into the library there was always room for more. Even including an international section where bilingual children could access books in their first language when they got confused with some of the syllabus. Snape continued to mull over the pros and cons of this big decision, finally he looked up as if hit by a wonderful piece of inspiration. He smiled for a second, nodded his head and left his study walking into the library.

There was his son, with a copy of Grimms Fairy Tales open in his lap; he was slumped in his chair with his glasses half off his face clearly fast asleep. Snape's mother had always believed in keeping copies of things muggle and wizarding alike, an idea she had also passed onto her son. Snape smiled thinking of the fairy tales that he loved to read in that book, he looked down at the book in Harry's hand seeing a picture of Little Red Riding Hood on the page. He smiled, gently taking the book from the sleeping boy, putting it on the table beside him, and placing his hand on the boys shoulder.

Harry looked up in him in fear, a response that was not uncommon from the boy after so many years with the Dursley's but that look soon settled when he saw who it was.

"Harry, it's time for bed," Snape said gently.

He followed the boy up to his room where he watched as his son got into his bed and he pulled the covers over him sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Harry, would you like it if I took you to a school full of magic?" he asked, "Where you could learn things from your friends, Hermione, Ron, who you didn't see much of today, Fred and George?"

"I can see Fred and George again? I'd love too!" Harry said getting all excited and sitting up in the bed.

"Son, you can choose between whether you would like them to be here, where you know that you are safe from anybody harming you, I will lay my life down on the line before I allow anything to happen to my precious son," Snape couldn't believe the words precious son had come out of his mouth but he really wanted to press the point he was trying to make, "Hogwarts is, quite a large place son, you may feel uncomfortable there. But it is where you will be going to school this year, would you like to go a little earlier just to get used to the place? Your friends will come and be with you, or would you rather stay here?"

Harry sat up, "Well, I'll have to go to school there anyway, I think I'd like to go to Hogwarts."

Snape looked at the boy, his response was not surprising, after all he was always curious to learn different things and have different experiences.

"Will Mel be there?" Harry asked.

"No son, I'm sorry, the headmaster has appointed a man that was friends wit h your mother and James this year, to teach Defence Against the Dark Arts. But no…Mel will not be there son," Snape gently explained.

"He knew Mum? What was she like?" Harry asked.

"We will discuss more about her in the morning son, are you sure you want to go to Hogwarts? It could be dangerous there and I would have to make some rules for you which you MUST obey or it shall be straight over my knee with no arguments!" Snape stated, "it is dangerous son and I don't want anything bad happening to you,"

"I want to go to Hogwarts Dad, I promise I will behave!" Harry stated eagerly.

"I will have a think about it son. However I will take your thoughts very much to heart. I love you son," Snape stated as he gently kissed him on the forehead, dimmed the light and left the room.

"So he wants to go to Hogwarts," Snape said as he left the room, "I wonder how this will turn out."

Snape went to bed with one thought on his mind. So that was it, the decision was made, his son wanted to go to Hogwarts. The question was how to do so safely.