Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Passing the Test

It was good for Harry to have someone to work with, another student who was adamant that they would both go well when it came time for them to be tested. Ginny helped him to not feel completely useless with his friends teaching him with him not remembering a single thing. She had an ability to ask questions and Hermione beamed with the opportunity to answer them and spread some of her knowledge around. A few days passed and they started to learn more difficult spells, Ginny seemed to be going pretty well under Hermione's tutorage. But Harry was having difficulty.

Ron was standing behind giving useful hints and advice whilst Harry attempted once more to understand how to produce the spell. "Am I ever going to get this I must be a complete dunderhead!" he exclaimed. Sounding just like Snape ridiculing another failed first year potions attempt.

"No Harry, calm down, you have conjured a patronous before, all you need to do is think of a happy thought," Ron gently explained.

"But I don't have any!" Harry exclaimed.

"Ron why not try showing him how to do it, or would you rather I demonstrate?" Hermione asked.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Ginny yelled out and a brilliant white horse came galloping from the white light emanated from her wand. Hermione clapped her hands in delight.

"Oh wow! Well done Ginny! See Harry it is very simple! Ginny I am so proud! You have made so much progress in the last couple of weeks although I know it has been quite intensive!" Hermione said as she wrapped her arms around her. Finally all of the work that she had been doing with Ginny was starting to show.

She had been working with her every day, all day since she was told that Ginny was allowed to participate in classes. Ginny, had been quite glad to have Hermione's attention all to herself and had been soaking in information like a sponge. Wanting to know everything that the talented witch could teach her. Whilst Harry learned quidditch from the twins in the afternoon, Ginny was able to continue her lessons with Hermione as she did know most of what her brothers did anyway about that game. Fred and George, for the most part, left the girls alone to their own devices. As for night times? Well as Hermione and Ginny knew that they were the only girls there for the next few weeks they had chosen to share a room together. Hermione cast learning enchantments on Ginny when she went to sleep just to give her that extra little boost. She was determined that Ginny would be in her year the following year and it would be good to have someone who she could spend time with and learn with. Hermione loved the passion which Ginny showed for the information Hermione taught her, Ginny enjoyed all the extra attention that she was getting from Hermione and loved to please her. So the girls made a good team together.

Ron spent his time trying to talk with Harry, trying to help him remember different spells and telling him stories of the past. But it was no good, Harry kept treating the stories of the past as if they were stories of somebody else as he didn't remember any of those events. However Ron was able to teach him most of what he had learned over the past two years and what he couldn't remember precisely Hermione was more than happy to help. Nights were spent playing wizard chess, wizarind snap, or mini quidditch. The twins had created a great little game board which had miniaturised quidditch pitch with flying players that were able to be played with similar to a chess set. This was Harry's favourite game by far.

"I just can't do it I must be useless!" Harry said sadly.

"Come on Harry," Ron said breaking his friend's negative thoughts, "haven't you ever had one happy memory? Had just one thing go right with your life?" Ron asked.

"No ok! The whole time I was with the Dursleys I was treated lower than a house elf! They hated me!" Harry exclaimed.

"But what about Snape Harry?" Hermione asked cutting in, "how did you feel when he came into your life and told you that you were leaving the Dursley's?"

Harry's heart skipped a beat as he remembered what he felt when Snape showed up and took him to Mel's. He remembered how incredible it was to learn elemental magic and how much he loved showing what Mel had taught him to his Dad. He had a father now, he was loved and he was one with the earth.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Harry yelled out as if his life depended on it. A brilliant white light was emanated from his wand and a doe cantered out from it. Looking around and holding its head up high.

"That was BRILLIANT son!" Snape stated from the doorway.

"How long has he been there?" Ron whispered to Ginny who shrugged.

"Look Dad at what Ron taught me to do!" Harry exclaimed.

"Yes I saw," Snape laughed.

Ron just stood looking at Snape, blushing.

"I am here to announce it's time for Harry to be retested, and I believe that Miss Weasley was going to be tested as well. Well done young lady for taking the opportunity to skip ahead. If you keep having this eager attitude you could go well in life," he state formally.

Ginny blushed, just thinking of the hard work and hours she had put into trying to understand the Hogwarts year in under two weeks. However she did have a lot of encouragement from a brilliant teacher, in her opinion at least. Still, it took a lot of hard effort her lessons had even been getting into her dreams. But she knew that she was special, having the chance of being able to skip ahead and a teacher which she thoroughly enjoyed having. For Ginny held onto every word Hermione ever said as if it was pure gold. Everybody knows that if you have a teacher you truly like, who explains things well then you are bound to succeed.

Still knowing all of this did not dissuade the butterflies that were jumping around in her stomach as if it was their own personal trampoline. Ginny felt sick, and nervous, and panicky like all she wanted to do was run out of the room. Which was nothing in comparison to what Harry was feeling. He was being tested by his father and he did not want to let him down. After all he had done to try to look after him, teaching him things and caring for him in a way that he had never been cared for before.

Looking at the test as Snape placed it in front of him he saw the questions. His heart gave one more flutter as he looked down at the test hope beyond hope that it would make sense this time. He read the first question.

Name the four founders of Hogwarts and what house they were in.

That's EASY! He thought starting to write not only the names of the four founders, but what job they did before they chose to create a spell, what day they officially opened the school and why Salazar Slytherin chose to leave Hogwarts in the hands of the other three founders. Harry continued answering the test looking up occasionally for a nod or smile of encouragement from Snape who was sitting up the front watching the two students. The other students had been called out to help Hagrid with some of his creatures.

Ginny was nervous having Snape out the front but she knew that it was all to help Harry. By just having him beside her, it gave her the confidene to try the best on that she could on the test. But soon Snape came and picked up both of the tests. First Ginny's, then Harry's stealing a glance of what was written on his paper.

"You have done well son, I'm proud of you," he stated quietly.

Both Ginny and Harry smiled as they raced outside to join the others. Leaving Snape alone to look through the tests in peace.

Snape took the tests directly to his office wanting some time alone with his son's work before showing it to Dumbledore and McGonagall. As he sat at his desk reading he couldn't help but to smile. Even though his son had gone through so much this summer he had proven himself ready and successful. Capable of managing the next year with his friends. He quickly looked through Ginny's paper, not expecting to see much, after all she had only just finished first year before the holidays and that learning had been halted when she had been taken into the chamber by Voldemort. But he smiled looking at the test, "Miss Weasley has shown herself quite capable" he stated. Then flood to Dumbledore's office to show him the tests.

"Severus?" Dumbledore stated as he walked through the door, he was sitting with McGonagall who looked quite concerned.

"Has there been any progress?" Snape asked.

"No Severus," McGonagall stated, "I am sorry, I will keep trying."

"There has been solutions to memory loss to be sure, but not all symptoms have appeared, such as there's one which makes you forget your past, but he remembers the Dursleys, there's spells which make you forget any future events, but he seems to control them quite well. There's things that will swipe out certain events from memory, but his hair hasn't turned pink, or orange, or blue. But we will keep trying!" Dumbledore stated, "there will be a solution Severus."

"And what of the protection from Black?" Snape asked.

"Well, for now he is safe, due to the small amount of people here, but as soon as Hogwarts is full of students the magic around our borders may not be strong enough. I have called the ministry, they are sending dementors tomorrow," he stated.

"Dementors?" Snape stated, "are you insane? Do you know how many students could be attacked? Those things are fearsome creatures who prey on the young and needy and devour them like a good Sunday feast!"

"Severus, the ministry knows there are students here and will not be doing anything that will place them at risk," McGonagall stated, "the dementors will have restrictions whilst within Hogwarts ground and of course there shall be one checking the train tomorrow."

"Restrictions mean nothing to these creatures do you not understand!" Snape stated aggressively.

But the decision had been made and he was outnumbered. The dementors would be on the train with Harry and the other students, tomorrow.