Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
My finals are nearly done, today is the last day of them for me.. I woke up too early and I figure you guys deserved this..so this is the next chapter, hope you like it.
Chapter 13: The Cover Up

After the healers had done what they could; both boys breathing had steadied but they had yet to open their eyes. Severus looked across the infirmary wondering where Albus and his other students were. Now that Draco and Harry were out of death's doorway so to speak he could assess the whole situation. He wouldn’t be surprised if his Slytherins had already owled their parents home about what happened. He knew once the word got out about the Malfoy spawn being a target Harry was as good as dead; if he ever woke up that is.

He had failed the child so much already he would do everything in his power and Albus's to keep that boy out of the clutches of the ministry. They already believed Harry to be a nuisance and a liar about the Dark Lord’s return. Severus looked at Poppy who was taking turns comforting each boy as she ruffled their hair the scene was heartbreaking and as much as he didn’t want to leave he knew he had too if he wanted to execute his plan.

"Poppy take care of them, allow no one to see either of them without myself present. I need to talk to Albus," Severus said quietly.

"Of course Severus," Poppy replied gently, a sadden expression on her own face.

Severus nodded and walked out the infirmary, wondering where they were. He passed a classroom and could see Neville Longbottom standing next to Albus and he unlocked the door and went in. None of the children said a thing at his arrival but their eyes told him everything he wanted to know.

"Who’s planning on owling their parents?" He asked neutrally, wishing it wasn’t illegal to obliviate children.
"None of us sir," Blaise said softly.

"Excuse me if I find that hard to believe. The majority of you hate Mr. Potter and I was sure that a few of you would relish in his capture." Severus said black eyes burning with rage as he seemed to catch the eye of each student.

“We don’t hate Harry Professor,” Pansy said softly since it seemed like no one else in her house were volunteering to answer. They knew that their head of house was a death eater even if their headmaster didn’t know that. They had no plans to cross him, and though she had been frozen in fear she hadn’t missed the affection he showed Potter.

“Then please explain something to me; what were those taunts about his dead mother and her blood status? Who he was as a person? I know for a fact a few of you would love to see him tortured. So pardon me for being skeptical,” Severus said in a cutting tone, he was rewarded when they flinched.

“Severus, they took an oath with me, they are telling the truth.” Albus said finally stepping in. He knew that the man had the power to intimidate just by looking at someone, and he could see that the children weren’t immuned at all.

“Very well, go to your respective dormitories, and try to get some rest. If you need any dreamless sleep stop by the infirmary and Poppy will give you some.” Severus said dismissing them; he really needed to talk to Albus.

Albus waited until the last child had walked out of the room before turning to Severus. He eyed him carefully trying to see how the man was. He hadn’t been blind to the man’s show of tears.

“We need to talk Albus,” Severus said conjuring a comfortable chair and sitting in it. He would prefer to talk in the man’s office, but he couldn’t bear being that far from the infirmary.

“I know Severus, how are the boys first off?” Albus asked in concern.

“Draco is going to be fine; he will wake up when he is ready. Harry is half and half, we’re hoping for the best though. Poppy has done all that she could,” Severus explained.

“Alright, that’s some good news at least. I need to go take care of Delores and then figure out how I’m going to protect Harry,” Albus said tiredly.

“I have a plan to protect Harry, I just don’t know if he will go for it.” Severus said with a sigh.

“Are you gonna let me in on the secret?” Albus asked, not up for guessing at the moment.

“I am but I need first I need you to have a look at these when you get a chance.” Severus said holding out a vial with the memories of Harry’s abuse, both from his relative and Umbridge.

“Whose are they?” Albus asked taking it and securing it in his robe.

“Harry’s, it will shed some light on why he did what he did.” He answered, wishing once again that he hadn’t been so blind. He knew what it felt like to have a death on your soul, it changed a person.

“Alright, I will watch them. Now what’s the plan of yours?” Albus asked resignedly.

“It’s simple Albus, we just need Harry to die,” Severus said simply.

“After we just fought to keep him alive, that doesn’t make any sense.” Albus said in alarm.

Severus would have smirked as he realized he had made Albus feel like he usually did to him. If the situation hadn’t been so serious he would have laughed.

“I meant we need to make a copy of Harry and have that copy die when the minister and Lucius come to get him.” Severus explained.

“What makes you think Lucius will need to come?” Albus asked hoping he would be able to get through to Draco.

“Because his son was threatened, and I doubt this has changed anything for Draco.” Severus replied knowingly.

“You honestly think that the Malfoy boy hasn’t changed Severus?” Albus asked in shock.

“I know my students Albus, I have no doubt that a few of them are feeling some remorse but Malfoy in particular hasn’t. He will completely ignore the fact how close to death he came in favor of sticking it to Potter.” Severus said bluntly.

“Alright I understand the reasoning, tell me more Severus.” Albus said feeling his age for once as he listened to the plan.

Severus figured they could each make a copy of Harry and Delores. He still wasn’t sure how Albus planned to make Umbridge disappear that easily, she was Fudge’s lapdog. He had no doubt that when Draco woke up the next morning he would be in contact with his father. What they needed to do was to talk to Harry as soon as possible.

 That way they could move him and place the copy in the bed. He figured that Harry could take a blood potion from either him or Albus; therefore making him a nephew. Then he would be introduced to Poppy, who would also be in on the charade. He was skeptical about involving Minerva, how she hadn’t seen the boy deteriorating was anyone’s guess.

“I have the blood potion already made in my lab. We need to talk to him so we can see who he’s going to choose.”Severus said as he finished.

“He will choose you Severus,” Albus said in a final tone.

“It’s his choice; I will not bind him to something he doesn’t want to do. I will already be keeping a closer eye on him as it is. You didn’t hear him in the classroom Albus; I had never heard a child sound so cold and cruel. He taunted Delores while she died,” Severus said eyes clouding in remembrance.

“Which is why you are the correct person for the job,” Albus said feeling like he had failed this child, all over again. He didn’t think he would ever get used to the guilt; it seemed to intensify every time he found out how much Harry had been hurt.

“We will see; how are you going to take care of Delores?” Severus asked, not wanting to go into his classroom and see the carnage.

“I’m not exactly sure yet, but I need to dispose of her body immediately.”Albus said following Severus towards the Dungeons.

Chapter End Notes:
What did you guys think? I promise this isnt the end of the angst...how do you think everyone is gonna feel when they find out Harry's 'dead? Not to mention, Harry is far from cured, you dont go from suicidal to alright in a few days..it doesnt work that way trust me..

Flamers...can burn :)