Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for the support, and I hope you guys like this chapter as well. Here we get to see the begining of Draco...Harry sounds a bit mental...thats intended as Albus said before he isnt well..
Chapter 16: And so it Begins

“Albus just what is the meaning of this? What is this child doing in here?” Fudge spluttered out.

“Cornelius, we are in the infirmary. Poppy wanted to make sure that Emerson had everything in order before he started school.” Albus explained smoothly.

Harry grinned; he liked that name actually and was happy that the Headmaster had picked it. He shuddered to think what he or Snape would have come up with, the possibilities were endless. Harry had to keep his grin hidden though he wanted to burst out laughing when he saw how red the Minster’s face was getting on the Headmaster’s explanation.

“Severus, you didn’t tell me you had a son,” Lucius said with narrowed eyes; their Lord would not be happy about this.

“That’s because he doesn’t, he’s my Uncle,” Harry said with a shake of his head, as if the man was slow. He could see the mirth in Madame Poppy’s eyes and had to turn away, lest he break out into the much needed laughter.

“Why are you starting so late?” Lucius asked with a frown.

“I don’t know; ask Uncle Severus not me,” Harry replied before his stomach gave an audible growl and he blush.

“I’ll get your breakfast right now dear,” Poppy said as she quickly made her way into her office.

“So who was he?” Harry asked again.

“Who was who?” Fudge asked.

“The boy who died on the bed,” Harry said softly, watching all eyes go back to his fake self.

“Harry Potter,” Albus said looking saddened and distraught but Harry knew otherwise.

“The boy-who-lived is dead?” Harry asked in shock.

“It seems so,” Lucius said coolly.

“Maybe we should take his body with us,” Fudge started before he was interrupted.

“You’ll do no such thing. That child, as well as his relatives deserves a funeral. I will see to the arrangements myself, come along Cornelius we have much to discuss.” Albus said taking the Minister’s shoulder and walking out of the infirmary.

Harry noted that Malfoy senior was looking at him in interest and he turned towards the younger one to see what he was doing. Draco hadn’t turned his face from the bed where his ‘body’ lay. The boy’s mouth was open and he had yet to move.

“Dragon what is it?” Lucius asked as he turned around to find his son in this state.

Draco didn’t say anything; he couldn’t even if he tried. He had remembered his talk with Potter the previous night. Had the boy known that he wasn’t going to make it? He felt horrible, like a wretched person. He hadn’t told his father that t Harry had shot Umbridge, but he was curious to know where she was. He didn’t know that she had died, because he had retreated into his mind at that point.

He stood up as he suddenly felt like he couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t be in here, not with that dead body on the bed next to him. He gasped out loud, surprised to see his eyesight blurry. What was going on?

“Draco, are you alright child?” Lucius asked in concern.

“I’m fine father, I have to…get out of here,” he said abruptly before running out the room. He didn’t know where he was going, but the grief was hitting him every step of the way and he soon found a room where he collapsed in.

Harry watched the boy start to break down with a neutral face, though inside he was thinking that the little ferret deserved it. He was a bit sad that the boy had run out and he couldn’t see the breakdown; but he knew that this was just the beginning of the guilt.

“Aren’t you going to go after him?” Harry asked Lucius who was in the middle of having a silent conversation with Snape.

“No, he doesn’t wish to be bothered. How are you related to Severus?” Lucius couldn’t help but asking.

“My mum was his sister,” Harry said with a shrug, making it up as he went along.

“I wasn’t aware that you even had a sister Severus,” Lucius said suspiciously.

“He didn’t know either, and he wouldn’t still if mum hadn’t died,” Harry said with a fake sniffle.

Harry noted that Lucius’s suspicious look went away, and it changed to one of sympathy. He would never have guess that he would see that directed at him. If only the man knew. He sat back in bed and thanked Poppy as she came back with his food. He focused on nothing but his tray, as he thought about what was going to come.

He vaguely wondered if he could talk the sorting hat from putting him into Gryffindor again, but he quickly shook that absurd thought away. For one, that would be unwise not to mention dangerous. A boy related to their most hated potion’s master would not bode well in the lion’s den.

 Not to mention he didn’t want to be with those fakes and liars he had thought were his friends. He was curious about a few things, if the Headmaster had gotten his trunk. He wanted his invisibility cloak for reasons he couldn’t think about now.

“Emerson, after breakfast I will show you to my quarters.” Severus said.

“I won’t be staying in the dorms?” Harry asked in confusion.

“You will, but you have to get sorted first,” Severus explained.

“Oh ok, I get it now.” Harry replied turning back to his food.

He finished quickly and after Snape finished another silent conversation with Malfoy they were leaving the infirmary and heading down to the dungeons. He didn’t say anything to the potion’s master because he knew the man didn’t like small talk, not to mention he didn’t know what to say.

They came to a portrait of Salazar Slytherin and Harry resisted the urge to hiss back at the man. He walked in surprised to note that the Slytherin’s room didn’t resemble his house affiliation. It was very homey and warm despite being in the dungeons. The color on the walls was blue and it put Harry at ease.

“This will be your room; your trunk is at the foot of your bed.” Severus said pointing out a room with the open door.

“Thank you sir,” Harry replied before walking into said room.

He was tensed at the moment, feeling like the potion’s master could see right through him. And he didn’t like that feeling, he was feeling all torn up on the inside. He sat on the bed and took a deep breath pushing those feelings away. He didn’t know that he was hiding the horrible emotions, and that it wasn’t healthy. When his body had enough of him trying to make himself not feel they would come out and it wouldn’t be pleasant.

Severus wasn’t afraid of the small teen being alone. For one everything in his room was spelled to be unbreakable. If the boy were to fall off the bed, the carpet would absorb the shock of the fall, and he would feel like he landed on a cloud. The same thing with the walls, not to mention the mirror’s in the bathroom wouldn’t break.

 He left no type of weapon for the child; he had no doubt that Harry was blocking his pain. When it came out he would be ready for it. He had also spelled the room, and he had thought that Albus would have been against it but the old man just wearily nodded his head in agreement.

After closing the door to his room, Harry got on his knees and opened the trunk. Everything was just the way it was when he left it; even his cloak was still there. He would need to make sure Snape couldn’t find it; he didn’t want it to get taken away. As he was looking underneath his clothes, his hand slid across something sharp and he gasped in pain as it sliced his finger.

It took him a second to realize it was the mirror but before he could even think about that Snape had burst through his door and was looking at him warily. He stilled as the man’s eyes narrowed on his cut before they turned guarded.

“What did you do?” Severus asked softly, but firmly.

Harry shut the trunk quickly before sitting on top of it.

“I accidently cut myself,” Harry said holding up his dripping finger.

“I see, are you sure it was an accident?” Severus asked as he pulled a few potions out of his robes.

“Of course it was,” Harry bristled. Big deal, he shot himself, just because he did that did not make him want to hurt himself all the time. All he needed to do was bide his time, and the next time he did it he wouldn’t fail. He was sure of it, at the moment he needed to gain some sort of trust. His teacher was being really paranoid.

Severus hummed almost silently as he healed the boy’s hand, no knowing what the child had hurt himself with. He would check when the boy left, or when he went to sleep or something.

“When will I be resorted?” Harry asked curiously.

“Today at lunch, right before Albus announces your death.” Severus said.

“Oh ok, until them I’m not allowed to leave here?” Harry asked softly.

“That’s correct; entertain yourself in your room. If you need me I will be in my lab, just knock.” Severus said getting up and walking out of the room.

Harry was curious to know how Snape knew something had happened but he didn’t dwell on it long. He opened up his trunk again, and made sure that his mirror was wrapped up and facing the opposite way. As he thought of Sirius the guilt inside his own chest started to fester. He really didn’t mean those things he said about his godfather being ok with him dying.

He didn’t want to hurt the last remaining person of his family. Harry bit his lip, figuring he would talk to the Headmaster before doing anything rash. As he laid on his bed he had a thought, would Sirius even like him anymore now that he looked like Snape?

Chapter End Notes:
What did you think?

Flamers can drown in the giant puddles outside my house :)