Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I didnt update yesterday, I wasnt feeling it to be honest. But this chapter is longer then my usual ones, so I'm sure I will be forgiven. Ok heads up warnings for this chapter. This story has triggers, as if you didnt know.

This chapter contains a bit of self harm, I suppose its nothing much but if your like me...it might trigger something so your warned. Anyways on to the story.
Chapter 27: I'm not as strong as they think I am

~*~*~*Headmaster’s Office~*~*~*~

“Sirius, you should know by now you have to watch what you say.” Albus scolded quietly.

“What did I say?” Sirius asked in confusion.

“You kept telling Harry he was crazy for one,” Remus interjected.

“I didn’t mean…” Sirius trailed off.

“You did mean it at that time. Emerson is far from crazy; the child has been through so much in such a short time. You not accepting him today; I’m afraid was enough to send him right back over the edge,” Albus said quietly.

“Back over the edge?” Remus asked softly.

Albus only nodded, hoping Severus would once again to pull him back up again. He was in the middle of grabbing another one of his lemon drops when the floo flared and Severus returned.

“What did you need to speak to me about?” Severus asked quietly, wanting nothing more than to go back to his quarters and keep a watch over the boy.

“Gentlemen if you’ll excuse us,” Albus said turning back towards Remus and Sirius.

“Of course Albus, I’ll be in my old quarters.” Remus said softly. They had no intention of leaving without getting the chance to talk to Harry again.

“I’ll tell him myself,” Albus replied easily. Inside he was wondering if that would be the best idea.

Severus waited for them to leave before turning back to his mentor.

“What is it Albus? If this is about me drugging him, let me just tell you there was no other way to get him settled.” Severus said defensively.

“No that’s not at all why I wanted to talk to you m’boy. Emerson is going through so much as you know, and he’s going to need someone to talk too.” Albus said pointedly.

“I’m not the right person for the job. True he doesn’t hate me, but in case you’d forgotten he did want me dead once upon a time. I don’t want to stress him out, I really can’t put it pass him not to try and harm himself again. Only this time he won’t be so obvious about it.” Severus said with a shake of his head.

“Well I can’t think of anyone else. He reacted way too strongly to his godfather and Remus.” Albus said after a moment.

“That’s because they were going to curse him, just because he looked like me.” Severus said his jaw clenching in remembrance.

“I see, well maybe a healer from St. Mungo’s?” Albus tried again.

“I don’t know, maybe. Wouldn’t they have to be told who he was?” Severus asked tiredly.

“We can put them under oath.” He replied quietly.

“There are a lot of oaths going around. Speaking of which, are you sure none of my Slytherins will be able to tell what happened in the classroom?” Severus asked.

“I’m sure it’s airtight. The only one who can say something is Mr. Malfoy. I already know he won’t take the oath, but this is ok. He’s hurting too, contrary to belief.” Albus said knowingly.

“If Emerson needs to speak to a healer, don’t you think some of the other children do too?” Severus asked curiously.

“Very good idea, you are correct Severus.” Albus agreed immediately.

“If that is all, I need to return to my quarters.” Severus said getting up from his chair.

“Of course m’boy and do take care of him.” Albus said waving him off.

Severus nodded before disappearing into the green flames.

~*~*~*Greenhouses~*~*~*

Neville sighed softly and looked out the window, it was getting dark and he knew that he had better get inside the castle soon. The problem was he didn’t want to be around anyone right now. He didn’t trust his own emotions and he didn’t want to lash out. When he was really hurt he tended to say things to make others feel the same way he was. He knew everyone was fragile and though he was mostly put together he found himself unable to leave the greenhouses. It wasn’t cold in here at all, due to the plants needing the heat. It almost made him feel like that someone was here with him. His plants would keep him company, if no one else would. He threw a locking charm at the door before transfiguring a blanket for him, and covering himself up. He wondered idly as he the day caught up with him, and he was barely able to keep his eyes opened. Would anyone come looking for him? Would they notice he was gone? Neville fell asleep with his brow furrowed with worry lines, the plants around him touching him as he unconsciously called out to them.

~*~*~*The Black Lake~*~*~*

Blaise sat quietly for another hour or so until it started to get darker. He sighed softly as he looked at the girl on her side. He never planned on this; he didn’t think he was the comforting type. But somewhere along he was able to calm her, and it made him feel good that he could help. He didn’t like feeling useless especially not now; that gave him time to think. If he was left to his thoughts he might to something stupid, and get caught.

“Mione, we gotta go in now.” He said softly gently nudging her up.

“I don’t want too,” she mumbled tearfully.

“I know, but it’s not safe for you to be out here this late.” He replied honestly.

“Because I’m a Mudblood, I know,” she replied almost inaudibly.

“Do not call yourself that, what did I say earlier?” Blaize said frowning.

“I don’t remember, I’m sorry for crying on you. I can handle it from here,” Hermione said after a moment. Her tone was bleak and as she stood up, there didn’t seem to be any type of her usual excitement in her eyes.

“It’s ok, I didn’t mind it actually.” Blaise said standing up and stretching.

“You can go eat now,” She said as they turned and made their way back to the castle.

“Aren’t you hungry?” He asked carefully.

“I don’t think I can eat,” she replied softly.

“Starving yourself isn’t going to bring him back,” Blaize said sternly.

“I’m not starving myself, I’m just not hungry.” She replied a bit too forcefully. She was lying though her stomach was empty and growling a bit. But why should she get to eat when Harry never would again?

“Liar,” was all Blaize said.

“I just wanna lie down,” she said changing the subject.

“Alright, I’ll walk you to your tower,” Blaize said taking her hand and gesturing for her to lead the way.

“I can do it,” she said softly.

“I know you can, but I would feel better if I went with you.” He admitted.

“I don’t want to sleep in my tower today, and be surrounded by all those girls who treated Harry like dirt. They’re all sorry now but he’s gone, so that doesn’t even matter. They’re all hypocrites,” Hermione said angrily.

“Where will you go?” Blaize asked in confusion.

“This room, I know of,” she said vaguely. She was unsure or not whether to tell him about the come and go room.

“I’ll walk you there then.” He said easily.

“No I’ll be ok, I promise Blaise.” Hermione said managing a convincing smile.

“If you’re sure?” He asked skeptically.

“I am, I promise.” She said pushing the guilt about her lying to him to the back of her mind.

“If you need me, just send a house elf, and I will come for you,” He said before hugging her tight.

Hermione could feel her resolve weakening at the hug, wanting nothing more but to stay where she was. But she didn’t want to be a burden, she had been so stupid and this was her problem to deal with and not Blaize. She watched him walk down the corridor, turning once to look back at her before turning the corner. She took that moment to take off in a dead sprint towards the seventh floor. She was so caught up in her own turmoil she didn’t hear the footsteps behind her.

Blaise had followed her, and he kept silent wanting to see where she was going, just in case she needed him. He raised an eyebrow as they got on the 7th floor and she started pacing in front of a wall. His eyes nearly popped out when a door appeared and she walked in it. Once she closed it the door disappeared. He sighed softly, hoping she would be ok before making his way down towards the great hall and to have a late dinner.

In the room of requirement, Hermione laid on a bed similar to hers at home, but she was not comforted. She couldn’t get the thought out of her head, of how that scratch outside made her feel, and she was curious about something. She closed her eyes and asked the room for something sharp, and was rewarded when a razor blade appeared on the bed.

She bit her lip apprehensively as she carefully held the blade in her hand. It felt light and cool against her hot skin. It gave her a sense of calm already, and though she knew she shouldn’t do it she almost couldn’t stop herself. Hermione placed the cool blade on her left forearm and let it rest there for a moment, feeling entranced again. Almost as if she was having an out of body experience she slowly ran the blade across her skin.

~*~*~*Snape’s Quarters~*~*~*~

Harry woke up the next morning and froze as he realized something. How did he get in his bed, and his pajamas? He didn’t remember walking to their quarters; he flushed at the thought of Snape tucking him in or something. He had no idea how close he was to the truth. He was curious to know what happened with Remus and Sirius, but he didn’t particularly want to talk to either of them anytime soon.

He knew that Sirius wouldn’t accept it and he didn’t fancy getting hurt again. He stilled as he remembered him crying all over Snape, and his face heated up in embarrassment. He groaned before burying his head under his pillow. Had he really done that? Before he could think on it there was a knock on his door before it suddenly opened to reveal the potion’s master.

“Why do you knock if you’re just going to come in anyways?” Harry asked curiously.

“Courtesy,” Severus replied easily. “Breakfast is ready,”

“How is it courtesy? I didn’t tell you to enter. What if I’m in the middle of getting dressed?” Harry asked uneasily.

Severus quirked an eyebrow and smirked before answering casually; “I can assure you that it won’t be anything I haven’t seen before. I have been the head of Slytherin for many years.”

“Professor!” Harry exclaimed his face beet red as he looked at his teacher.

“Relax Emerson,” Severus said his lips twitching as he prevented a smile.

Harry was truly embarrassed and he turned his gaze towards the ground; planning on getting dressed in the bathroom.

“I’ll be out when I get done,” Harry said awkwardly.

Severus nodded before shaking his head at Harry’s obvious embarrassment. He closed the door behind him and walked towards the kitchen.

Harry dressed quickly not wanting Snape to sneak up on him, or something before making his way towards the breakfast table. He sat down quickly and started in on his food, feeling extremely hungry since he had missed dinner yesterday. He didn’t look up the entire time he ate so he missed the look on his Professor’s face as he watched him.

Severus drank his coffee quietly as he read his paper, keeping an eye on Harry.  He cleared his throat once the boy looked to be done and he was looking into emerald eyes that reminded him what he was doing and why. He wouldn’t fail Lily, not again.

“We need to talk Emerson, are you finished?” He asked gesturing to the spread.

“Yes sir,” Harry replied carefully though inside he was thinking about what he could have possibly have done to warrant a talk. He hated going into a discussion blind, it made him uneasy. He was already starting to regret eating so much at breakfast as his stomach churned. By the time they had moved towards the living room Harry was feeling like his breakfast was gonna come up any minute.

Severus noticed the change of the color in the boy’s face but there really wasn’t much he could do for it. He didn’t say anything waiting for the boy to get comfortable. Plus he was trying to figure out how to ease into this rather delicate conversation.

“What do you wanna talk to me about sir?” Harry whispered.

Severus was never one to beat around the bush when he needed to talk about something. Unlike Albus he preferred his information in a timely matter, but he didn’t want to do any more damage to the boy’s fragile state. He shook his head; there really was nothing for it.

“Why did you do it Harry?” He asked quietly.

“I’m not Harry, why does every keep calling me that?” Harry said angrily, he had no idea how why he was feeling anger.

“Calm yourself,” Severus said quietly; wondering if this was such a good idea.

“I am calm,” Harry said his angrily leaving as quickly as it came.

“Now why did you do it Emerson?” Severus repeated, looking intently at the boy as he waited for his answer. He wasn’t sure if this was going to well or not, but he had promised Albus he would try.

Chapter End Notes:
What did you think?

Flamers will be pushed out of the airplane with no parachute. That ought of cool you guys down :)