Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Italics = Snape's thoughts
A Little Bird

"Off you go then, girl." Harry raised his arm to launch Hedwig out of the Owlery. As she spread her wings in flight the smaller bird that had been making its way towards the aperture was nearly knocked off course. It just made it through the opening, but slithered along the damp landing ledge as it scrabbled to gain grip. Failing, it slipped off the edge and fluttered to the floor with a surprised squawk.

"Whuuu… that's the entrance, not the exit, you great white booby. Whoooo…..damn, I forgot it has been raining."

Harry bent down to pick up the grey-brown white-speckled bird which was fluffing up its feathers indignantly. "Come on, up on my arm. That's it. I've got some owl treats somewhere. Want one?"

"Well, since you're offering. However, I do not need assistance to get up off the floor. I do have wings. Potter! I might have known. I shall arrange for you to scrub the algae off of that ledge for your first detention."

Harry fished in his pockets and found the treat. "Haven't seen an owl like you up here before," he said. "You're a pretty little thing aren't you? Funny face though. Your markings make it look as if you're frowning." He laughed. "You just need black eyes instead of yellow and I'd think you were one of my teachers!"

"Size is not everything, Potter. Anyway, I may be a Little Owl, but I am certainly in the top 5% of this species for weight and wingspan!"

"I don't suppose you fancy delivering a letter for me?" Harry continued, scratching the bird's head. "Just a short trip to Hogsmeade."

"I am not a bloody post owl, you foolish boy. But keep scratching JUST there and I may reconsider."

"The rest of the school owls look a bit dozy at the moment. I don't think they'll come down from their roosts. Hedwig's gone to Flourish and Blotts for me, but I really need some new potions ingredients quickly. If I'm lucky Snape won't make us brew today as it's the first day of term, but I'll be in trouble if he sets us a potion. Aunt Petunia made me dump all my stock – said it smelled horrible even though everything was locked in my trunk. Don't know how she could tell anyway, what with the pong from that air freshener she uses out in the hallway."

"You are out of luck, Potter. And it's Professor Snape to you."

"You know, you're nearly as good a listener as Hedwig is. Must be an owl thing. I had to send her to Ron's part way through the holiday 'cause Uncle Vernon was threatening to put her in a sack and drown her in the rainwater butt. The hypocrite said she was noisy at night, but you should hear him snore. Maybe it would have been better if she was a small quiet owl like you."

"Stop calling me small, Potter! It's surprising what information an unobtrusive form like this allows me to garner when I perch unnoticed on fence posts, window sills or indeed in trees. Far more practical than some more showy forms - a stag, for example. And quiet? KIEW! KIEW!!!"

"Okay, maybe you're not quiet! And Hedwig's not really noisy either. But then Uncle wouldn't take me to London to get the stuff on my school list. Said I hadn't worked hard enough over the summer to earn the petrol, but he'd run out of jobs to give me by the middle of August. I probably looked as cross as you when he tried to make me paint the fence panels for the third time. It started raining though, and didn't really stop for the rest of the holiday so I didn't have to do it in the end."

"Indeed, it has been an especially wet August this year. Merlin, now I'm discussing the weather with Potter!"

"Anyway, will you take my order? Then I can send Hedwig off to Madam Malkins tomorrow. Lucky I haven't grown too much, so last year's robes still fit. Well, sort of. Hey, stop that!" Harry exclaimed as the owl nibbled at the fraying cuff edge that ended four centimetres above his wrist.

"Oh, very well, since you ask so nicely. And if I get rid of you now, I may yet have time to shower before classes."

"Thank you." Harry tied his order form to the leg the little owl extended for him. "Don't tell Hedwig though – she wouldn't like me using another owl."

"My beak shall remain sealed - to your familiar at any rate."

"The Apothecary, then. Here you go!" Harry tried to launch the owl through the same aperture he'd sent Hedwig out of earlier.

"NO! That's still the entrance and not the EXIT, you dunderhead! Look, it's this one!"

"Strange little owl," Harry muttered as he watched it fly out of its preferred exit before he raced down the stairs in the hope of making the Great Hall before breakfast finished. He was followed more sedately by a pensive potions professor.

 

***

"Turn to Chapter Three for the potion I have assigned as today's classwork." Harry groaned softly, as Snape's deep voice continued, "You should have already committed Chapters One and Two to memory as part of your summer work. I shall require a précis of those chapters by next lesson as homework. All the ingredients you require for today's work can be found in the storeroom. Now, begin! Mr Potter, where is your textbook? Sharing with Mr Weasley is not an option."

"Um, I haven't been able to get one yet, sir."

"Five points from Gryffindor for lack of preparation. See me after class." Snape Summoned a book from the cupboard at the back of the classroom. "You may use that today, Potter, if it's not beneath you to read a second hand book. I assure you, the parchment may be old, but the brewing method has not changed. Most likely you'll still get it wrong."

"Miserable git," murmured Ron, trying not to move his lips. Snape was not impressed. "Two points from Gryffindor for poor ventriloquism, Weasley."

At the end of the class, Harry reluctantly watched the rest of the students leave, before slinging his book bag over his shoulder and approaching Snape's desk. The dark professor leaned back in his chair and contemplated Harry.

"Problems obtaining your school supplies, Potter?"

"Not really, sir." Harry feigned interest in the sea of different shades of green potion samples on Snape's desk. He fixed his eyes on the lone sludge grey effort that probably belonged to Neville. "It will be sorted in a couple of days. I had to owl order. Car trouble."

"Look at me Potter. I can wait all day."

"Most classrooms hold a spare set of textbooks, Potter. You just have to ask to borrow them. Owl order sometimes takes a few days for the transport to be arranged. You may keep that text until your own copy arrives since it is obvious that you will not have done the required reading yet."

Harry raised his eyes rather disbelievingly. His brain was clearly struggling to equate helpfulness with Snape.

"Now, you will be late for your next class. Charms, I believe?"

"Yes, sir," Harry agreed.

Snape scratched out a note on a piece of parchment and handed it to Harry. "Give that to Professor Flitwick."

Harry's surprise increased as he read the parchment. "Uh..thank you," he stuttered.

"Dismissed then, Potter, and make sure you don't get trampled by my rampaging herd of fourth years on the way out." Snape smirked at the look of confusion on his student's face.

Harry opened the door, but stepped back hurriedly as three Hufflepuffs with wildly curly daffodil-yellow hair hopped unwillingly through the door, closely followed by a matching pair of grinning Gryffindors.

Snape's voice echoed down the corridor as Harry ran for the entrance hall. "Misters Weasley. Your Charms and Transfiguration skills may be appreciated by other members of staff, but THIS is a Potions class."

Ron and Hermione were dawdling on their way to Charms. "Come on, Harry. What did the old bat want? He didn't give you detention did he?" asked Ron.

"No," Harry replied slowly. "It was weird.… he was actually being helpful… didn't yell or anything…gave me a note for Flitwick and all. I dunno… maybe I ought to give his homework a good go this term and see what happens."

Ron looked mildly disgusted at that statement, but Hermione favoured Harry with an approving smile as she began hustling the boys into the classroom.

*** 

 

"Minerva, a word, please." Snape poked his head around the Transfiguration classroom door, pleased to have caught the Deputy Headmistress before lunch.

"Come on in, Severus. Problems already?"

"For you, yes. One of your second year lions appears to have failed to get any of the items on his school list. It looks as though you will need to accompany him to Hogsmeade."

"Oh, goodness me! Who would that be?"

"Potter, of course. Who else?" Snape sneered unconvincingly.

At Minerva's quizzical look he elaborated. "Let's just say a little bird told me. He has owl ordered his textbooks, but his robes are far too small, and I have no idea what condition the rest of his clothing is in. No doubt he will also require parchment, quills and the like. As his head of house I believe you should try and get him to talk."

"Ah. Thank you, Severus. I shall ask him to stay behind after class this afternoon. You think it was more than an oversight?"

Snape scowled. "I suggest you discuss that with Potter. You may have to push him for the truth. For obvious reasons he was reluctant to talk to me, but, assuming I am not mistaken, there is something not quite right at Privet Drive. If need be, you can put me down as first in line to visit. I would be delighted to re-acquaint myself with Petunia Evans."

"You seem to be uncharacteristically concerned about Harry, Severus?"

Snape's scowl deepened. "From what I have seen today he is definitely not his father. James Potter would have been screaming injustice for the whole world to hear instead of attempting to deal with things by himself. I am yet to be convinced he is the perfect golden boy of your and Albus' dreams, but I may endeavour to start this year afresh from a neutral position, and see where that leads us. Oh, and give this to Potter when you speak with him, please. You can tell him it got delivered to the dungeons with my order by mistake." He handed Minerva a slightly aromatic parcel before moving to open the door.

She stowed the package in her desk and grinned like the Cheshire Cat as she preceded him through the door. "Severus! He didn't try and use you as a post owl, did he?"

The sound of the door closing firmly was her only reply.

 

******* 

 

A small owl glided gracefully into the Owlery. A few moments later, Deputy Headmaster and Advanced Potions Professor Snape stretched and then smiled as he caught sight of the Potter's distinctive coppery coloured barn owl, which was eyeing him sleepily from the rafters. He paused in the entryway at the top of the stairs to look out across Hogwarts grounds, resting his hands on the balustrade. It would be - what - fifteen years ago tomorrow since the day that began to change his opinion of Harry Potter, and the boy's opinion of him. Scenes skittered through Snape's mind like Autumn leaves swirling in the breeze.

 

~~~~~~~

Snape had accompanied Professor McGonagall on a visit to the Dursleys after she had spoken with Harry to confirm his situation. Snape did his Menacing and Saturnine act, while Minerva attempted to reason with them.

Vernon was outspoken. "We're fed up with it. It was tolerable when we could lock him in the cupboard and forget about him."

"Vernon!" Petunia tried to shut her husband up, but he was having none of it.

"They already know, Pet. The ruddy letters came addressed to the cupboard didn't they? But our Dudley shouldn't have to give up his second bedroom every summer."

"So you're not planning on having Harry home for Christmas or Easter then?" asked Minerva.

"No, we're not! You lot can keep him."

Snape conjured a roll of parchment. "In that case, you will sign this, Petunia."

"What is it?" she snapped.

"Merely your permission for any teacher to escort Harry to wizarding venues during the holidays." He handed her a pen.

~~~

 

Snape and McGonagall walked up to the castle after Apparating back from Privet Drive.

"You were very restrained, Severus."

"There is no point in making things worse for next summer if, as you say, Albus insists that Potter returns to his Aunt's house. However, I fear there may be rats in their garden shed. Also there is a slow puncture in one of the back tyres on their car, and the spare is deflated."

"Ah." Minerva gave him a sidelong glance. "I gave her nits. And he'll be developing a boil on his rear end about now," she smiled.

"Impressive," stated Severus. "I need to ask Filius to teach me some more Annoyance Charms for my next visit."

They shared a satisfied smirk as they walked up the hill.

As they neared the castle door, Severus turned to his superior.

"Minerva, I want to provide for some sort of mentor relationship with Potter. Regular meetings to discuss his progress, someone to show an interest, maybe check up on things in the summer…. I can't allow those people to treat him like dirt. I know what that does to you."

~~~

 

Harry's initial reaction to the news did not augur well for the future.

"You're not interfering in my life. You're bloody well not! Tell him, Professor!" he appealed to his Head of House.

"I think it could be good for you, Harry. I'll leave you two alone for a bit to discuss the possibilities." She exited the room leaving Harry and Snape glaring at each other.

Fortunately they'd come to a reluctant agreement after Snape told Harry "It's no more than I'd do for one of my Slytherins with a less than adequate home life."

Harry had asked the right question. "But why, sir? I'm not one of your Slytherins."

Snape had given a suitable answer. "No, very true, Potter. But your mother was a good friend of mine for some years. I would not like to see her son in a poor situation."

This mention of Lily gave them a tentative common link, which had surprised them both by blossoming over time into mutual liking. Harry tried harder with his schoolwork, although he didn't seem to try any less to get into trouble. Snape tried to be fairer, and judge Harry as himself, even if he struggled to remain calm when Harry behaved recklessly.

"I am determined to teach you some Slytherin self preservation, Potter," he snarled.

Harry's cheeky reply had not gone down well. "I shall have to teach you some Gryffindor rashness then, sir."

In fact, as time went on, Snape had to admit that he'd discovered that a bit of Gryffindor joie de vivre was not always a bad thing.

~~~

 

When Sirius Black had been released from Askaban the following year, after new evidence to prove his innocence emerged, Snape had thought he'd be dropped from Harry's life like a hot cauldron. However, Harry's reaction when he'd offered to step back had surprised him. "But I thought you liked me now," the Gryffindor had almost wailed, so their relationship had survived and flourished.

Indeed Black and Snape had, once they put aside their animosity for the sake of the greater good that was Harry's welfare, found they were complementary in their dealings with the boy. It worked well, Sirius assisting with frivolity and advising on matters of the heart, Severus dealing with practicalities and discipline.

Although they were never going to be close friends, Snape found himself genuinely regretful, and not merely on Harry's account, when Black became a casualty of the war in a skirmish in the lead up to the Final Battle against the Dark Lord, which came at Halloween in Harry's sixth year.

~~~

 

Life had definitely changed for the better for the survivors, once Voldemort was defeated by a spell "Agaynst thee Horcruxxed villain" that had quite literally fallen into Ron Weasley's lap. An old handwritten spell notebook had slipped out of an equally ancient Quidditch rule book that he had found to read in the library at Grimmauld Place.

It had been risky, calling for a minimum of five wizards to cast simultaneously, but, with Voldemort gaining power and influence by the day and seemingly unstoppable, the risk had had to be taken. When Snape - the 'Loyal Death Eater' - had lured Voldemort away from the heat of the battle with the bait of Potter - the 'Unwilling Captive' - seven of the twelve wizards who had mastered the spell had managed to make the rendezvous. As the spell was cast, Voldemort had lit up the sky like one of the Weasley's most eye catching firework displays.

It had been a truly marvellous spell. Not only had it worked – Harry's scar was now an inert fine silver line, and the Death Eater Dark Marks had vanished (not that the Aurors had been too pleased at this loss of identifying evidence) – but it had also spread the glory and the guilt of the victory.

~~~

 

Snape recalled his pride since the war when Harry had graduated, first from Hogwarts and then from the Auror Academy; pride reciprocated in Harry's eyes when Snape had accepted the post of Deputy Headmaster five years ago. How they had laughed when Snape told Harry of Dumbledore's decision to retire to "travel and see the world before I'm too old to enjoy it." It seemed the old wizard's timing was perfect however, judging by the brightly coloured postcards that Fawkes continued to deliver sporadically from all points of the compass, plus the fact that Albus had looked forty years younger on his last fleeting visit home.

~~~

 

More recently there was Snape's relief when Harry decided to resign from an active Auror position (miraculously still with all his body parts intact and mostly unblemished) to take the open position of DADA Professor at Hogwarts. He'd explained that he intended to remain in the Auror Reserve, but had concluded that although there would always be dark wizards to pursue, he could do more to secure a peaceful future for his children - and the wizarding world as a whole - by making sure that everyone who passed through Hogwarts was capable of defending themselves, and by observing the students and nipping any dark tendencies in the bud.

~~~

 

There was going to be something of a surfeit of Gryffindors of a certain era in the school, what with Longbottom now well established as Herbology Professor and Ron Weasley taking time off from the shop he ran in Hogsmeade to assist the ageing Madam Hooch as Quidditch coach for three afternoons a week…

 

~~~~~~~ 

 

Severus was awoken from his reverie by the sound of someone pounding up the Owlery staircase at a rate of knots. He smirked. No prizes for guessing who that would be.

"Morning Severus!" Harry appeared, not even slightly out of breath and looking as usual as if the comb had yet to be invented.

"Good morning. Is that your way of maintaining Auror fitness now?" Snape asked.

"What? Oh. No, I just came up here to give Wulfric a job – if I can bribe him down from his perch at this time of day. That's not a bad idea though. I shall have to do something to counteract the stodgy food the kitchen elves serve, now that I'm back at Hogwarts. I don't want to end up with a belly like George Weasley!"

"Hmm, no. I doubt he needs any padding to play Santa at Christmas. Although we have revised the menu to a certain extent since you were at school – there are some lighter options. But don't forget that learning to use magic, and indeed teaching it, consumes a great deal of energy."

They stood in companionable silence for a short while, the only signs of activity in the castle grounds being the smoke that rose from Hagrid's hut as he stoked his fire.

"Severus? I know you've already approved my lesson plans, but would you have a few moments today for me to run some last minute ideas by you, please?"

"Of course, Harry. Three pm?"

"Thanks." Harry moved to enter the Owlery proper, but turned back to his former teacher. "Oh, and Sev – we've got some good news. Ginny is expecting another baby."

"Congratulations! I suspected as much at your barbeque last weekend."

"Can't keep anything secret from the former spy, can we?" Harry grinned. "We've not told anyone else yet, so keep it under your hat till Gin's let Molly loose with the news."

Severus nodded.

"See you at three o'clock then." Harry disappeared into the Owlery and whistled for his owl.

Severus began his descent of the spiral staircase. Hogsmeade Magical Primary School was going to be busy over the next few years with a selection of Potters, Weasleys, Longbottoms and, of course, a pair of Snapes. With that last thought in mind his strong features softened, and he picked up his pace towards the dungeons and a family breakfast.

The End.