Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Godfather, Grandfather

The closer the match got the more boisterous the students became. The impending visit of parents and in some cases siblings was exciting. The evening before the match Harry asked if Sirius was going to come to the game. “I don’t think so Imp, he’s still recovering. We could go and see him on Sunday if you like?” Severus had told him quietly.

“That would be good Dad,” Harry said sadness evident in his voice.

Severus didn’t miss it but didn’t want to ruin the surprise. The healers at St. Mungos were allowing him to attend. It hadn’t been that long since Sirius Black had been declared innocent. He had escaped jail during the summer. As a result Severus had gone in to protective mode refusing to consent to Harry going to Hogsmeade. Draco of course had agreed with his then godfather. So he had been rather angry when he was attacked by the green eyed teen near the Shrieking Shack when he should have been safe in the castle.

Draco had informed Severus of what had happened. Harry had been duly punished when he had returned after his little adventure. During his subsequent grounding the teen had found an unexpected name on the map the Weasley twins had given him to help in his daring escape. He had asked his father about the name since he had been told the person was dead. Severus in turn summoned Remus Lupin who had previously confirmed his involvement in the making of the map along with James Potter, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew.   

Lupin had told them the map was accurate. He also told them of Pettigrew’s animagus form - a rat. Harry had gasped at the revelation and explained about Ron’s rat Scabbers and how it was missing a toe. With the map in hand and Professor McGonagall in tow Snape and Lupin had caught Pettigrew in the third year Gryffindor boys’ dorm.

The Ministry had acted quickly in declaring Sirius Black innocent of all and pending charges. They urged him to come forward. Black had done so and Severus had been wary of the man’s reactions to Harry’s adoption. There had been surprise all round when Sirius accepted the news with very little fuss. They had been shocked when Black had privately and publicly, via the Daily Profit, apologised to Severus Snape for past treatment. “So Lily got what she wanted after all,” Sirius had told them his eyes alive with mirth.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Snape had asked.

“Lily was happy for me to be named Harry’s godfather but she didn’t want me raising him if anything happened to her and James. The shocking part had been that James had agreed with her. And we know Remus can’t because of his… well you know. Since Lily considered you her best friend Harry was to go to you. If they had of asked me before they locked me up I would have told them about you and Harry.”

The day after the revelation Sirius had sent Remus to Gringotts to retrieve two letters. One letter was from Lily forgiving Severus for past mistakes. The other was a joint letter from Lily and James expressing their wishes for Harry’s long term care should something happen to them. The latter was copied and filed with the Ministry.

***

“Your grandfather will be here. I got the confirmation from him this morning in the post. I didn’t tell him about Draco though. I thought it would better to tell him face to face. Speaking of your brother he should be here soon,” Severus said trying to get Harry out his current mood.

“Dad you’re only waiting to tell Grandpa ‘cause you’re hoping someone will be around and he won’t get mad at you,” Harry laughed.

“I’m not scared of him Imp and it’s not as if he doesn’t already know Draco.”

“Who knows me?” said teen asked as he entered the room.

“Grandpa,” his brother told him, “Dad said he’s coming to the match.”

“It’ll be strange calling him Grandpa and not Mr. Snape,” Draco smiled.

A soft chime sounded throughout the chambers. “Grab your cloaks boys,” Severus said as he made his way to the pegs next to the front door. When they were all ready he lead his sons out of their rooms, down a not so secret hallway and out onto the grounds. The group made their way to the gates of Hogwarts.

The was a crack of apparition that made both boys look up to see an older version of Snape looking slightly green standing next to Arthur Weasley, Ron’s father. “Grandpa,” Harry shouted launching himself into the older man’s arms.

“Good to see you too Harry,” Tobias said hugging his grandson and kissing him on the forehead. Harry stepped back and watched as his father and grandfather greeted each other.

“Da you remember Draco?” Severus said nodding at the boy.

“Of course, I’m not senile yet Sev,” Tobias huffed. He shook Draco’s hand.

Severus turned to Arthur and thanked him for bringing Tobias to Hogwarts. The jovial red headed man assured the family that it was no trouble. After telling them he’d see them tomorrow at the game he bid them goodnight and made his way home.

The Snape family made their way back into the castle and their rooms. Harry got Tobias settled into his room as Severus ordered tea for them all. They had decided on Harry’s room since the senior Snape had not been told of the new addition and he might just get suspicious if he Draco had his own room. Draco was itching to show off said room.

They had been rather surprised to find the additional room when they returned from classes the day of the announcement. The room was identical to Harry’s but Draco ever the Slytherin had chosen his House colours to decorate in.

When they were all seated in the living room Severus asked Tobias if the stomach soother had helped this time. “Wasn’t so bad this time round, so yeah. Tasted awful though son. Can’t ya flavour ‘em?”

The teens laughed at that and explained why it wasn’t a good practise.

Over tea Severus told Tobias about Draco becoming part of the family. To their surprise the older man asked why they waited so long to go through with the adoption. The explanation was simple with Lucius involvement in the attempt to resurrect the Dark Lord the year before he openly declared himself a follower; then the incident over summer. It had made it easier for Draco to be removed from the custody of his parents.

“Harry why don’t you show Grandpa your change of name certificate?” Severus asked a little too cheerfully. Tobias didn’t miss it and wondered what his son was up to. There was a hushed silence as the green eyed teen surprised everyone by wandlessly summoning said certificate. When it floated gently into his hand he gave it to his grandfather to read.

Tobias Snape couldn’t help the sappy grin that spread across his face as he read his name on the piece of parchment that he held. He never thought he’d be blessed with one let alone two grandchildren and now this. He looked at his son. “It was Harry’s choice Da. Draco has added my name to his,” Severus said quietly.

“Thank you Harry,” Tobias said tearfully. Harry hugged the man and told him he was welcome.

At ten o’clock Severus sent both boys back to their dorms, Harry through the floo to Minerva’s office and Draco out the door to the Slytherin rooms. The two men talked for a while longer enjoying another cup of tea together before retiring for the night.

 

Breakfast and Quidditch

The next morning found two hyperactive teens joining the older Snapes for breakfast. Both boys were fixated on the game ahead. “It’s not raining you know,” Draco said to Harry, “Pitch will be dry.”

“What?” the other boy murmured distractedly.

“You said you were going to make me into a tar baby, remember?” the snakeling said poking his brother in the side.

“Oh yeah,” said Harry his cheeks reddening with embarrassment, “The day Auntie Min caught us with our wands out in the hall.”

“I thought there was a rule about duelling in the hallways. I remember your grandmother sending a red envelope to your father once for doing that. Who was it that told your Mam, Sev?” Tobias asked.

“It was Minerva and that howler was horrible,” Severus grumbled.

“You got a Howler?” Draco asked incredulously.

“Wasn’t the first time,” they were told, “It was just she really yelled and threatened all kinds of dire consequences including coming here if there was just one more incident.”

The rest of breakfast was spent talking about some Severus’ other boyhood misdeeds. At eight-thirty both teens made ready to leave. Severus waited for them at the door. “No heroics. No dangerous flying,” he started.

“Daaaaaaad,” Harry whined, “Its Quidditch.”

“Yes I know and I know you will ignore everything I just said, but it’s my responsibility as a parent to say them.”

“Whatever,” Draco said rolling his eyes.

“At least try to be careful. I’ve arranged with the elves to pack a picnic for after the game so come and find us after you shower and change.”

Severus sent his brats on their way. At nine o’clock he and his father made their way to the pitch. The game was starting at nine-thirty. They found their seats in the teachers’ stand. Severus introduced Tobias to those that hadn’t met him yet. A few minutes later Remus Lupin and Sirius Black arrived. Greeting were exchanged all round and they settled down to watch the match.

***

Professor McGonagall strolled at a leisurely pace from the Great Hall to the pitch. She patted one of her robe pockets reassuringly. She really hoped that the Snape boys would keep their end of the bargain and that she hadn’t been found out. Severus had kept his promise and sent her a catalogue of what she would scarcely call clothing. It left nothing to the imagination and she suspected that was the whole idea. If Severus truly wished to attend she would help him out.

She enjoyed the morning sunshine as she hurried along some stragglers. Her mind fleeting wandered back to the match earlier in the year when the Dementors had invaded the pitch causing Harry to fall from his broom and the subsequent loss of said broom. Severus and Sirius had argued about the best broom to buy the boy to replace it. It had been Remus’ voice of reason that bought about the agreement of a Firebolt. She climbed the stairs to the staff box and found the objects of her thoughts amicably chatting away.

***

Soon enough both teams were in the air going through their prematch warm up routine. The players took up position as the team captains Oliver Wood and Marcus Flint met in the middle of the pitch with Madam Hooch to shake hands. Once they were in place the balls were released and the game began.

Gryffindor was the first to score but Slytherin soon followed with two successive goals. Severus kept one eye on the game and the other on his boys. Both circled above the main action looking for the little winged devil known as the snitch. He watched as one would dash off in one direction with the other following only to fall back when they lost sight of it again.

***

Harry and Draco were watching each other as well as looking for the snitch. On one mad dash they had gone past the teachers’ box both boys had been excited to see Sirius sitting there though neither showed it. Harry cringed inwardly as the Slytherin stand burst into loud cheers and chants as their team scored another goal. Five minutes later the Lions tried to outdo them getting two goals in quick succession.

Back and forth the points went. At an agreed signal the brothers earnestly looked for the snitch. Harry spotted it behind Draco near the Gryffindor goals and took off at speed. When he got to within ten feet of it the winged ball shot past him heading towards a surprised Draco. Harry executed a backwards flip without breaking speed and followed it.

Draco had seen the snitch change direction but he also saw his brother change just as fast and he was now hurtling towards him. He had no choice but to take evasive action. An expert barrel roll had him going to the left of Harry as the green eyed teen shot past and grabbed the snitch. That had been close, too close. That was not how they planned for it to go but anyone could see he had no choice.

***

Severus was nearly deafened as the mutt and the wolf, as he often referred to them, started cheering and hollering. He blinked and looked at the pitch. The Gryffindor team was doing a lap of honour with Harry in the lead holding the snitch. He quickly scanned the ground and found Draco in one piece, “Thank Merlin,” he muttered.

The last few minutes of the game had Severus on edge not from the thought of losing the bet to Minerva but he thought his sons were going to collide mid-air. He knew his boys were both excellent fliers but that was just too close for comfort. He stayed seated calming his nerves by mentally reciting potions ingredients. “Is it always like that?” his father’s voice invaded his recitation.

“Huh?”

“Is it always like that? I thought for sure those two were going to collide.”

“It’s not usually that close at that speed. Harry tends to focus on the snitch. Though I doubt even he thought it would change direction like that.”

“Did you play this game when you were a student?”

“Yes Da.”

“Holy… geez I’m glad I didn’t know about it.”

“Tobias Snape, how are you?” a soft feminine voice spoke.

Tobias looked up and grinned, “Mistress Poppy,” he said getting to his feet. He gave the mediwitch a hug, “I’m quite well Poppy. No traces what so ever much to my doctor’s surprise. I just told him I tried some herbal remedies that Sev concocted.”

“He accepted that?”

“He knows Sev’s a chemist so he had no problem with it. It’s taken a long time to get to where I am now. Sev and I are getting along and I have two grandsons.”

“Poppy why don’t you join us for lunch? Sirius and Remus will be there as well. The elves have made a picnic for us and you know they always make plenty,” Severus said.

“Thank you, I will. Well at least until I’m needed,” the mediwitch beamed.

Severus smiled as his father offered the witch his arm.

 

Picnic and Plans

Harry and Draco found the others sitting beneath a tree. After giving his father and grandfather a hug Harry squeezed himself in between Sirius and Remus. Draco settled between the older Snape men. Poppy sat next to Tobias and Minerva sat on the other side of Severus. Albus was off the Minister somewhere.

The elves had packed sandwiches, cold chicken, sliced ham, several different kinds of salads, breads, fruits and cheeses. Pumpkin juice, lemonade, tea and coffee. There was more than enough to go around and Severus suspected that the basket was charmed to alert the kitchen when food was removed.

The chatter was pleasing and varied in topics depending on who you were listening to. Harry, Sirius and Remus were talking about either Quidditch or the late Potters. Poppy and Tobias were talking about his recovery and future prognosis. Draco, Severus and Minerva talked about potions and transfiguration.

Eventually the talk turned to the bet that Severus and Minerva had made on the game. “How much did you lose, son?” Tobias asked.

“Hmph, my dignity Da,” Severus snarled.

“How so?” Remus asked.

“Minerva’s nephew is getting married and she requires an escort.”

“Nothing wrong with that Snape,” Sirius spoke up.

“Hmph. Its formal Black.”

“And?” Sirius prompted.

“I have to wear a bloody kilt,” the Potions Master snarked.

“I can… just picture… your skinny arse… in a skirt,” Sirius managed to get out amid giggles.

Everyone except Severus laughed at that.

“What… what was your counter?” Lupin asked when he was under control.

“The Potions Masters Guild has a fancy dress ball every year. This year the theme is ‘Vicars and Vamps’ and I was going as the vicar,” Severus told them.

Black and Lupin stared wide eyed at Minerva while Tobias quietly explained to Poppy just what a ‘Vamp’ was. “Oh Minerva,” was all she said.

“So you have to go shopping for new togs,” Black said looking at Sev with calculating eyes.

“No it’ll be taken care of by my brother,” Minerva said. She took a leather bound box out of her pocket and handed it to Severus, “I got this just in case.”

Carefully Severus opened the box. Inside he found a small, sheathed knife, a pin and a pair of cufflinks. They appeared to be made of ebony and pewter with a matching Celtic knot decorating each piece. There was an emerald coloured stone in the top of the hilt.

“That’s a sgian dubh,” Minerva told him as he carefully withdrew the small blade from its scabbard. “My brother will show you where to place it and the kilt pin.”

“When is the wedding Minerva?” Tobias asked.

“Two weeks from today. We’ll only be gone for a few hours since we can floo there and back,” she answered.

The rest of the afternoon passed by pleasantly and too soon they were saying farewell to each other. Mr. Weasley apparated Tobias home after the older Snape had taken a stomach soothing potion. Remus took a protesting Sirius back to St. Mungos.

Not surprisingly Draco and Harry were tired and by bedtime didn’t even put up a fuss that it was Saturday night and that they should be allowed to stay up.