Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Nightmares

"What are they doing here?" Harry asked, taking several steps backwards, looking around the table quickly to see if there were any other familiar, yet unexpected, faces.

 

There were none.

 

"Harry, son, they are on our side." Severus whispered into his ear.

 

"No. How do you know for sure? They will go back and tell Dumbledore! Why are you letting them put us in more danger?" Harry asked, turning to face his parents.

 

"Says the boy who chases basilisks and dragons." He heard Draco say behind him. He turned swiftly towards the table.

 

"Shut it, Draco!"

 

"Harry, go sit at the table." Severus told him. This dinner was quickly going downhill, and he needed to regain control before his son did something he would later regret.

 

"But...Dad..."

 

"Now; you may ask your questions later."

 

Huffing none to quietly, Harry walked over and sat between Hermione and an empty seat that he figured his mother would probably sit at, as his father was always at one end of the table and his Uncle Lucius at the other, representing the two heads of family that resided in the manor. He was directly across from Madam Pomfrey. He glared at her for several moments before she looked over at him and gave him "the look" she was famous for among all the patrons who had ever graced her infirmary.

 

"Mr. Snape, I do believe that I have treated you every year for every malady possible. I am a medi-witch at an educational institution. I have treated boys of all ages for well over twenty-five years. If I was going to do you in, do you not think that I would have already done so? Do you think that I would have called your father in to treat you for your injuries in your first year? That I would have sent for someone who was not even your head of house to treat the stinging hex sent at you by Maddie Malton, instead of doing so myself, if I hadn't known that you were his son?"

 

Everyone looked towards Harry, whose ears and face were red. Severus smirked, remembering the incident in question.

 

Harry scowled at the healer. They were at the dinner table. Was it really necessary to bring that up?

 

Harry remembered the incident like it was yesterday. It made him physically cringe to remember

 

that day...

 

When Severus Snape was summoned to the Infirmary one day in late March during Harry's first year, he was confused. Poppy had told him that she had Harry Potter in her office and he refused to talk to a ‘woman.’ He was in pain, Poppy said, but his magic had formed a shield around him anytime that she got close.

 

“I know,” Poppy said, “that you do not like the child, but you are the only male within this school with medical knowledge.”

 

Severus had done the mandatory fussing, and had then gone into the mediwitch’s office to see his son crying and laying on a spare bed in the fetal position.

 

Severus closed the door to the office and warded it firmly. He looked around and relieved when he realized that there was not one portrait in the office. He should have known that Poppy cared too much for her patients to let that happen. She often brought students in her office when they needed to talk. Students would be less likely to be honest and trust her if there were portraits in the room as well.

 

Severus had looked at his son and gave him a light smile.

 

“Dad?” Harry whispered, unsure whether he could call him Dad at the moment.

 

“What happened, Harry?”Severus said, kneeling down beside him.

 

Harry began to cry, but didn’t move his hands from where they rested on his groin, Severus realized.

 

“A fifth year Slytherin, you know…the one with dark hair and ice blue eyes. Maddie?” Harry sniffed, and Severus marveled at the fact that, even in pain, his son could think about a pretty girl and his young curiosity, and knew that he was going to have to nip that soon if he didn’t want grandchildren before he was forty…though he was positive Hermione would not let that happen.

 

“She caught me and Draco looking through a hole in the quidditch locker room…we found a hole outside, but it was an accident, Dad! I swear, we didn't really mean to look, but when we did we were just curious to see what they looked like...ya know? She came out and shot some kinda hex, and it hit me in my bits, Dad! Draco got away, yelling that I was a dirty half blood, ya know so she wouldn’t expect, and then she brought me here. She apologized, said she only meant to hit my bum, but I moved. She said it was some kinda hex that parents used to let their kids know that they were pushing it, but I heard her coming and moved. Dad, it hurts so bad, and I was only curious!”

 

The little boy had cried, and it had taken Severus five minutes to get him to remove his hands after he banished his pants and shorts.

 

“No, Dad!” Harry cried, holding his small hands over his privates, trying to protect them.

 

“Do you want me to ask Mum to come down and help? The Floo is right there, and she is in our quarters right now.” Severus had asked seriously. He would do what he had to do.

 

Harry looked at him in horror.

 

"Nooooo!” he wailed, slowing removing his hands so that Severus could assess the issue.

 

Really, Severus thought, the boy acted as if he had never seen him without clothes before. The fact was, Harry was anything but modest and had run into Severus and Aurora’s room more than once since they had gotten him back with little to nothing on, asking what he should wear. He had just never been used to having clothes that fit and hadn’t been sure how to wear new things. Of course, now the child was getting older, but he was still only eleven.

 

It had taken nearly an hour to get Harry to lie flat, to allow Severus to place cool packs on his groin, and then cover him with a blanket. It had taken another ten minutes for Harry to allow Severus to leave.

 

“I will be back. Poppy will let you lie in here. I promise that you are fine, yes, it hurts, but you will be alright tomorrow, I promise. I am pleased that Maddie apologized for it. I do believe that you need a detention, however.”

 

“What? Why, Dad?"

 

“What did I tell you over Christmas about trying to look at naked girls because you were curious?”

 

“Not ta do it.” Harry said, blushing slightly, looking towards the floor instead of his father.

 

“Yet, you still did. Apparently, we need to have another talk; therefore, you have detention tomorrow night if Madam Pomfrey allows you out of the infirmary. Now, son, sleep. I will be back to check on you when I make my rounds tonight. That way you don’t have to let Poppy work on this particular malady.” Severus told his son.

 

"Okay, Dad. See you tonight.”

 

Harry could feel himself blush even more. Later that night his Mum had come in while his father was checking on him, embarrassing him half to death, but at least he had been dressed in infirmary pajamas then. And, though he would never tell anyone, he had actually enjoyed being able to cuddle with her in Madam Pomfrey's office for fifteen or so minutes before the two adults had had to leave.

 

"That doesn't really prove anything." Harry whispered.

 

This time both Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey raised their eyebrows at the fifteen year old. Neither of them were ones to take cheeky teenagers, and the boy knew it well. He simple thought that he was protected in the manor by his father.

 

"Harrison Snape, if you wish to be a part of this dinner and meeting tonight, then I suggest that you cut the attitude and listen." Severus told him seriously. He also felt his mother reach under the table and squeeze her nails into his leg as warning. He took it for what it was, for he had only ignored that particular warning from the woman once, and would not do so again.

 

He looked over at the two elder woman, pain and confusion written all over his face. He was truly confused. But he also knew what was expected of him.

 

"I am sorry. It is...difficult to sit across from two people who I have had to hide so much from for so long. I apologize for my attitude." Harry told both women.

 

They both looked at him for a moment. It was as if no one else was in the room, though everyone, Lucius, Narcissa, Bellatrix, Hermione, Draco, Tom, Severus, and Rosemerta, were all listening to the conversation.

 

"Mr. Snape, we both understand your hesitance; however, we have known more than you think we do for quite some time." Professor McGonagall said quietly.

 

Harry turned his head slightly to the right, deep in thought. He turned to his father.

 

"You didn't want us to know, did you? It was so that we didn't get comfortable and slip up. If we have known that Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall knew the truth, then we would have a greater chance of slipping up."

 

The realization hit him like a ton of bricks. His parents and aunt and uncle had planned this whole thing to meticulously. They had eyes everywhere it seemed. But, why? Harry had to think for a moment. Was it so that if he and Hermione messed up and blew their cover at the school? They had, after all, only been eleven and hiding huge secrets from the entire wizarding world. If they did, it would have been much easier for the Transfiguration teacher and Healer to fix their mistakes than Severus. Severus could have easily fixed Draco's mistakes, but not the two who would go to Gryffindor.

 

"When did you learn the truth?" Harry asked them. His voice was barely above a whisper. He was embarrassed by his actions. He didn't know what was wrong with himself lately. He literally felt on edge all the time for some reason. Though, he knew that some of it was because he could feel the war coming. People were going to lose their lives, and it was going to be his fault.

 

"Since you and Miss Black were seven." Madam Pomfrey said.

 

So, they had known since the plans had begun.

 

"That's okay then. You were doing it to keep us safe. Dumbledore never suspected?"

 

Professor McGonagall stood up and leaned a bit towards Harry.

 

"No, Mr. Snape. The man is quite positive that nothing can hurt his plans, so does not look into

 

anything too deeply. There is much to be said against a man who believes he is infallible. When he believes that he has finally reached the top that is when one can easily catch him off guard. He was recently caught off guard.

 

Even so, we cannot afford to leave Hogwarts. Not yet. He is too unpredictable and there are many innocent children there. Soon, however, when the time is right, we will hide those who need to be hidden and we will stand with you. Not behind you, but right beside you.

 

You have been told by Dumbledore that you are the savior of the wizarding world. You have been led to believe that you must defeat a mad man, whether that be Dumbledore himself or Tom. You have been told these things so long, that despite your family, especially your father and mother, telling you differently, you have begun to believe it. You suspect the worse. You expect to fight alone. No one is going to allow that to happen. Not those who are on your side. If we must fight, we will do it together."

 

Severus Snape listened as Minerva McGonagall spoke directly to his son as if no one else was in the room. He had always trusted the woman. Now, he felt that he might love her unconditionally, for he could see in his son's eyes that the boy suddenly understood.

 

Harry stood from his chair, and everyone held their breath. He walked around the table towards the professor and stopped by where she was still standing. She turned towards him and was surprised to see his eyes glisten. There were no tears, and she knew that there would not be. He was too much like his father. But they were on the surface, showing his compassion.

 

She was surprised, though, when he leaned into her and hugged her. But she did not let it take her off guard for long. Instead, she wrapped both or her arms around his shoulders. She was still several inches taller than he was, so it was an easy feat.

 

"Thank you, Professor McGonagall. Thank you."

 

She leaned down to his ear and whispered so softly that only he could hear: "You are more than welcome, Child. Never forget that you are my lion cub. I will stand with you."

 

Harry merely nodded.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

An hour later, dinner had been eaten and the table cleared. The mood was somber. As it should be. The children knew that they were to be seen and not heard, else they were to be banished from the meeting. That had been the first thing that they had been told.

 

So, they each say silently beside one another and listened.

 

"Dumbledore is unaware that Minerva and Poppy are on our side. In fact, he tells Minerva nearly everything. She was right earlier when she said that he has gotten cocky. He strongly believes that nothing can stop him now." Severus said, pulling out several papers and perusing over them.

 

"Who is in place, Severus?" Tom asked. The man looked intensely at the Potions Master.

 

Severus looked tentatively over at the three teenagers in the room and thought for a moment.

 

Should he say who was in place in front of them? They were no longer allowed to go anywhere without one of their parents, but what is something happened and they were caught? So many lives would be in danger.

 

No. He had to trust them. They were in this as deep as any adult, deeper than most, in fact.

 

"Arthur is no longer in place. He was only released from St. Mungos a few days ago."

 

Harry's eyes widened. Arthur Weasley? He was a good actor then. And Harry was positive that the man's children didn't know about anything. Ron never would have been able to keep his mouth shut.

 

"Tonks is watching things closely on her end. She is with Lupin constantly, though she suspects that Lupin is becoming aware of Dumbeldore’s...less than ideal motives.

 

"What about Argus Filch, Severus?" Tom asked him.

 

"Preparing the Room of the Refugee as we speak. It is low in the dungeons. We will be able to get the children to the room hopefully several days before the actual battle breaks out." Minerva said quickly.

 

"Which students did you choose?" Severus asked her.

 

She cleared her throat and took a deep breath.

 

"The only student that I can trust in Gryffindor to be able to keep anything a secret is Neville Longbottom. Dumbledore will never suspect him. From Slytherin, Prefect Flint, though I am going to sneak in Maddie Malone. She is nineteen and knows most of the students from her time at Hogwarts. They will listen to her and respect her."

 

Harry blushed at that. It was almost a conspiracy.

 

"Luna Lovegood from Ravenclaw. I know she seems a bit flighty, but she answers everything in riddles, so even if she told someone the truth, they would never understand her. Plus, all of the younger years love her. I am undecided about Hufflepuff, though I have been leaning towards Justin Finch-Fletchly."

 

Severus nodded. They were all strong leaders, and they would keep the children save. Keeping the innocents safe was their first priority.

 

"Anyone else, Severus?" Tom asked.

 

Severus thought for a moment. He was never quite sure how much he should divulge when there were this many people around. Especially when there were three fifteen year olds, two of which often went looking for trouble.

 

"I am still thinking about it. I should know in a few days." Severus said evenly. He knew that Tom would understand that, at the moment, he simply could not talk about it. .

 

Harry eyed him for a moment.

 

But, then...

 

Murder. Devastation. Death...

 

Harry shook his head. What the hell?

 

Find the boy. Then kill the boy.

 

Harry grabbed his head between both of his hands. It was as if someone was zapping his brain with a stinging hex over and over.

 

Kill. Kill. Murder. Devastation for them all.

 

And, when Harry had had too much, he passed out, falling from his chair and towards the floor. Had Draco not acted so quickly, Harry would have busted his head open during the fall.

 

Severus and Rosemerta ran to their son, Narcissa quickly walked over to him as well. Everyone else just stared at the boy.

 

"What happened to him, Uncle Sev?" Hermione asked, a single tear falling down her face.

 

"A nightmare. A waking nightmare." Tom said quietly. Severus and Tom shared a look.

 

They had been expecting this.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

After everyone had left or gone to their respective rooms, and Severus and Rosemerta had gotten Harry into a conjured bed in their room for observation with Poppy close to his side, Rosemerta walked to the kitchen. She had a lot on her mind and needed some time to think and drink a cup of tea by herself. The meeting had been heavy. She was slowly watching her child lose what innocence he had, and she hated it. Yes, she had watched him harden over the years. She had watched him slowly become emotionless because of tight occulmency shields that he had to use to hide who he was.

 

And then tonight she had watched her son nearly fall apart because his Transfiguration teacher had assured him that everyone would stand behind him. And then the waking nightmare! What was it like for him? To constantly think that he was not going to make it out of the war alive. No amount of talking could change his thoughts on the matter either. Rosemerta knew this was a result of the previous year. That damned tournament. They should have taken him and hidden then. If it wouldn't have stripped his magic from him, they would have. They had considered it regardless, not that they would ever tell Harry that. He never would have forgiven them.

 

But he was their son! Though Rosemerta had not given birth to the child, he was her child. She had helped raise him. She knew that had Lily lived she would have never been given the opportunity, which scared her. She wished for everyone's sake that the woman had lived, but there was never a day that went by that Rose did not thank that woman for the wonderful gift she had left her.

 

A son. A gift. A miracle.

 

Rosemerta was suddenly brought out of her thoughts when she heard a low whimper coming from the parlor off of the kitchen. It was the one that she and Narcissa often used together when working on one craft or another.

 

She stood and walked to the door, which was open, and walked through it. She stopped immediately, however, when she spotted a sobbing Narcissa standing in front of an open drawer.

 

And an obviously dead Draco. Then Harry. Then it changed to Hermione, who was also dead, but then got up and gave the woman in front of her a look of contempt. The Hermione turned and ran a few steps and dissolved into Hermione hugging Bellatrix.

 

"Ridikulus." Rosemerta said quietly, making the boggart change into a dancing pixie, and then leave.

 

Narcissa turned and looked at her friend.

 

"Thank you." she whispered through her silent sobs, tears trailing down her face, glistening in the light.

 

"I understand, Cissy." Rosemerta said, and immediately walked over to the other woman and wrapped her arms around her.

 

She did understand. While Cissy was afraid that the children would die, she was also terrified of losing Hermione to Bellatrix. Cissy had raised that child, and she didn't know if she would survive losing her daughter.

 

And, honestly, Rose wasn't sure if the other woman would survive it either. Hermione was Narcissa's daughter. She and Lucius had raised her.

 

"Shh. It will all be okay. You will see, Cissy." Rosemerta said, rubbing small circles on her back as she had done to Harry so many times when he had come to her upset.

 

Now, if only she could believe her own words.

 

Because, she knew, that if any of their children died, they, themselves, would die on the inside.

 

And then there was the even darker thoughts...If Hermione died and Harry didn't, Harry would probably do anything in his power to follow his bonded soon after.

 

The same for Hermione.

 

Their bond tied them together so closely. No one had seen them bond, and the two rarely talked about it. But, they had all watched the bond grow. From friends, to brother and sister...they were just now getting to a part in their lives where they were beginning to love one another as they would forever.

 

Neither would live without the other, and everyone knew it; yet, no one talked about it.

 

And then there was Draco. Would he be able to live without his sister and best friend?

 

And Cissy. Would she be able to survive this war is Hermione chose Bellatrix over her?

 

There were many scenarios in play. But, for once in her life, Rosemerta did not have a clue as to how they would end.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The next morning at breakfast, everything began to, once more, change. For on the front page of the Daily Prophet was the following headline:

 

LAST ISSUE OF THE DAILY PROPHET! MINISTRY HAS FALLEN!

 

Everything was changing so quickly.

 

But the war would soon be over.