Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

New Revelations and Lies

Harry slowly opened his eyes as sunlight beamed into his room. He looked to his right and saw Snape asleep in a chair. It was strangely comforting to see the potions master to be asleep at his bedside. Snape had stayed by Harry's side the entire night. It was also good to see the man asleep. He seemed like he hadn't slept in nights. Was that how worried Snape had been about Harry? Maybe, Harry had been a little unfair to snape, but Snape had tortured Harry. It would take time to figure out what was going on.

Harry saw his wand sitting on the table and thought about trying to pick it up. He reached out and was able to curl the tips of his fingers around the wand, but no matter how he tried, he could not pick it up. Harry tried once more and the wand was sent crashing to the ground.

"God dammit!" Harry shouted louder than he wanted to.

Snape stirred himself awake at the sound of Harry's yell.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Snape asked groggily.

"Sorry, sir. I didn't mean to wake you. I tried to pick my wand up again. It didn't work well." Harry apologized.

"That's okay." Snape whispered, leaning over and picking up Harry's wand. "Are you in any pain?"

"No." Harry answered.

"Potter, you need to tell me if you are in any pain."

"I'm not. My head is just a little sore."

"I'd be surprised if it didn't." Snape mumbled.

"No one really explained to me why there is this bandage on my head."

"The healer were forced to remove a part of your skull so your brain would stop swelling."

"Oh." Harry whispered in response.

"Why don't you show me what you were trying to do?" Snape suggested, placing the wand on the table.

"Alright." Harry responded and tried to pick his wand up again.

"That's an improvement. You couldn't do that yesterday, could you?"

"No."

"That means you are beginning to heal. Would you like to see what I went and got last night?"

"Sure."

Snape dug into his pocket and pulled out a small metal skeleton of an upper body. He enlarged it and it looked almost like a shirt.

"What is that, sir?"

"Would you like to see what it does?"

Harry shook his head, curious to see how it worked.

This contraption was interesting in design. The arms were long and spindly, with fingers in a similar condition. The collar went up high, almost to someone's lower jaw. The entire contraption wrapped around the chest. It seemed to secure itself at the chest, the neck, the upper and lower arms as well as at the wrist and hands. Snape immobilized his arm and attempted to move his fingers.

"You can see that I can't move my fingers, much like you." Snape said as he began to put the contraption on.

 He first put it on like a jacket. He then strapped it around his immobilized arm, his chest and loosely around his neck.

"Did you invent this?" Harry inquired.

"I did, with one of my school friends. It has been very useful over the years."

"How does it work?"

"From a very early age, I was interested in medicine and how our body works. Your brain has two sides to it and they work together. In your case, one side of your brain is sending a message to your arm. This message is very weak because it's half as strong. Even if it were strong, it wouldn't pass through because of the nerve damage in your arm. This device will amplify the message and reroute it until the nerve damage is healed. See." Snape moved his immobilized arm to show that the device did actually work.

"Whoa." Harry breathed.

"Would you like to use it?" Snape asked.

"Yes, please."

Snape removed himself from the contraption when a glint of gold caught Harry's eye.

"Sir, I was wondering why that ring is on your finger? I saw it last night and meant to ask about it before I fell asleep."

"It's a ring that my mother gave to be."

"Why is it on your left finger?"

"I really don't know, but it won't come off. I'm going to have to help you into this the first few times. Go ahead and sit up."

Harry sat up as Snape approached the side of the bed. It was there that a gasp escaped Snape's lips.

"Harry, what happened to your back?"

Those scars had not been there when Snape began healing the child. Harry quickly sat back against the bed.

"It's nothing. Just some old scars."

"Scars that run up and down the length of your back. What happened?" Snape finished with a growl.

Harry didn't want to tell Snape, but he knew that he couldn't lie his way out of this one.

"Before my third year, My uncle's sister came to stay with us. She also brought that stupid pitbulll of her's along. At dinner, she said some things about my parents."

"Like what?"

"She said my dad was a drunk then called my mum a bitch. I got angry and tried to attack her. That stupid dog attacked me instead. Tore up my back really bad and no one did anything to stop it."

"Your back looks like a cheese grater. What else happened to it?"

"After she left, my uncle was furious with me. I...he beat me with a belt. Also punched and kicked me. He would have killed me but I managed to heal most of the wounds before they became deadly. I placed a glamour on my back before school started that year, but it must have worn off or something." Harry finished and looked at Snape for a reaction.

His face was eerily calm.

"Does it hurt when you move?"

"It used to, but not so much anymore."

Snape nodded his head and did his best to control his breathing and temper. He was almost blind with anger. Had Dumbledore known about this? Harry could see the anger rise in Snape.

"Sir, you can't tell anyone about this. Please, don't tell anyone." Harry pleaded.

Snape looked down at the boy and saw fear in his eyes. Snape wanted to tell someone, he needed to tell someone. It was his duty as a professor to care for his students. Dumbledore told him that he had to gain Harry's trust, but how was he suppose to do that now?

"I will keep your secret, if you keep mine." Snape whispered, leaning forward.

Harry nodded his head, wondering what secret could possibly be so important. Snape started undoing the buttons on his shirt, wondering what the hell he was doing. This had to be done though, if the boy was going to start to trust him. Snape turned around and showed Harry his back. It was just like Harry's only covered in more welts. Snape turned back to see a look of surprise on Harry's face.

"My dad was a muggle, who drank away my mother's and his livings. He would beat me and my mother when he was in a drunken rage. When I was younger, it was mostly my mother he beat until she died of cancer. Then he turned to me when my accidental magic began to show. My father also smoke heavily." Snape held out an arm and rolled up a sleeve, to show Harry the burn marks made by the cigars that the muggle smoked. "I moved out the moment that I could. Now you know my secret and yours will stay between us if mine isn't shared."

"Yes, sir." Harry replied.

"Why don't we get this contraption on you." Snape said, changing the topic.

"Okay." Harry leaned forward and Snape helped him into the device.

Within minutes, Harry was securely strapped into the device. Snape took a step back when he was sure that the device fit correctly on the boy.

"Go ahead and pick up your wand."

Harry reached forward and, with little effort, picked up his wand. A smile crept across his face at the result of his actions.

"Try and pick this up." Snape said, producing a coin from him pocket.

Harry picked it up effortlessly and examined it. It wasn't any sort of muggle or wizard currency that he knew of.

"What is this, Professor?" Harry questioned.

"It's my lucky coin." Snape said and he watched Harry continue to curiously examine it. After he examined it for a few more minutes, he went to hand it back to Snape. "No, hold on to it for now. You seem very interested in it."

"What type of coin is this?"

"It's an American silver dollar. My friend gave this to me after she came back from the summer she spent in America. The man on this coin is John F Kennedy. He was the thirty-fifth Leader of the United States. He was assassinated by a man named Lee Harvey Oswald, who was a wizard."

"The friend who gave you this, is this the same person who helped you make this?" Harry said, motioning to the device he was strapped into.

"It is indeed the same friend. After our studies at Hogwarts, we were going to go to America. She told me that it was filled with history and culture. She told me that JFK, as this leader was called, was a man who brought about the Camelot era. This president, which is what the Americans call their leader, brought about a time of hope and optimism.""

Harry held the coin in his hand, gently squeezing his fist over it.

"Thank you, sir." Harry whispered.

"You're welcome, Harry."

It was good to see Harry smile.

"Do you think I can get up and walk around today?" Harry asked.

"I don't know. I can ask Healer Anderson if you would like me to."

"Can you please do that? I'm going to go crazy if I can't get up and move."

"Alright." Snape said, holding a chuckle back. "Don't move, I'll go ask him."

Snape stood up and was walking out of the room.

"Professor." Harry called, stopping Snape from walking out the door.

"Yes, Potter?" Snape spoke as he turned back toward the boy.

"Thank you for this." Harry said, moving his arms.

"You're welcome.


 Dumbledore was in his office. The Gryffindor and Ravenclaw teams stood in front of his desk as well as Hermione, Neville, and Luna.

"Headmaster, is Harry alright?" Hermione asked.

"Why do you believe that this has to do with Mr. Potter?"

"The last time we were all together, Professor McGonagall questioned us about Harry's whereabouts."

"You are correct, Ms. Granger. Mr. Potter has been found and he is alive. We found him fifteen days ago and since then, he has been sitting in a St. Mungos hospital room."

"Do you know where he has been?" Ginny asked.

"I do not know, and Mr. Potter has given us no information on his whereabouts."

"How did he get to St. Mungos?" Ron asked.

"I do not know. I got an owl from the hospital the other day saying that they had a person, of student age, that had been brought in with no identification. When I questioned the healer, they said that the person who brought Mr. Potter in gave no name. Now, you all understand that what I have told you is not to be shared with anyone else. If you have any questions or worries about this matter, your heads of house have been informed on the situation. They will be the ones that you go to. Mr. Weasley, Ms. Weasley, and Ms. Granger, I would like you to stay behind. Everyone else is dismissed."

Dumbledore waited until the other students left his office before continuing.

"Professor McGonagall has informed me of an interesting theory as to why Professor Snape fell. May I ask who came up with this theory?"

"It was me, Headmaster." Hermione stepped forward.

"May I ask how you came to this conclusion?"

"When Professor McGonagall brought us together, I remembered reading a book about the design of the Quidditch Grandstands at Hogwarts. I also remembered that Professor Snape had been sitting two or three rows from the front. The specific height of the side barrier where he was sitting is about two meters tall. I double checked those numbers before going to tell Professor McGonagall. I used some arithmancy to figure out how much force it would take for a man of Professor Snape's size to fall over. The force is too large for the Professor to have been accidentally pushed over in a panic. That can only mean that Professor Snape was pushed over on purpose."

"That is an interesting theory, Ms. Granger."

"Headmaster, you need to warn Professor Snape because, if I am right, he could still be in danger."

"There will be no need for that."

"What do you mean?" All three students asked at once.

"Professor Snape has not fully recovered from the injuries he has suffered, so he is also currently being treated at St. Mungos. You are now free to go."

Chapter End Notes:
Why do you think Dumbledore is lying?