Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Fifth Challenge

It was dark and there were trees everywhere. He was walking through the forest toward a large fire.

"My followers, who are on the path to rid the world of ungrateful filth, we have an exciting event tonight. Your role is simply. You are jury and executioner of whatever punishment you find acceptable in this trial. Bring forward the accused, Severus Snape." Harry turned away toward the darkness, which spat Severus Snape out of.

The fire illuminated Snape's black figure as he landed on his knees.  His face was covered in blood. His nose seemed to be broken. His eyes were bloodshot. Blood came pouring from his ears and mouth.

"Severus Snape, you are being accused of treason and espionage. How do you plead?" Harry questioned in a snake like voice.

"Not guilty." Snape slurred

"Give your evidence before I give mine."

"I have done everything for my lord. I've stayed faithful to my lord, even when he disappeared. I held my position as spy while you were gone and I have been a flow of valuable information. I have always done what my lord wanted and, until my dying breath, I will continue to be faithful to my lord."

It was amazing that Snape could say that much. His words were so slurred that they were almost incomprehensible. He also winced more as he continued speaking, which meant that his jaw could have been broken.

"In your service as my right hand man, have you ever lied to me?" Harry inquired.

"My lord, I would not know if I lied to you because all the information which was given to me was thought to be true. In other words, no I have not lied to my lord."

"If you have not lied to me, then why have you allowed Harry Potter to escape my clutches? Why is he currently resting in your private quarters at Hogwarts?"

"I do not know. Albus Dumbledore may have found out that I was a spy."

"We've known for a long time that, Severus. Why do you think you went falling off that Quidditch stand?" Snape's face changed in recognition of what Harry was talking about. "Yes, we've known for a long time where your loyalties have been." Then Harry turned away from Snape. "Jury, now that you have heard all the evidence, what is your verdict for Severus Snape?"

"Guilty!" The surrounding death eaters shouted.

"Severus Snape." Harry's voice boomed as he turned around. "You have been found guilty of treason and espionage. I shall remind our executioners that his death shall be mine. You may proceed."

Harry stepped back as a man ran at Snape. With one swift kick to the midsection, Snape was forced to the ground, howling in pain and coughing up blood.


 "NO!" Harry shouted.

His face was slick with sweat and he was tangled up in the blankets.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Dumbledore asked as he rushed into the room.

"You've got to save him. They have him. He's already injured, tortured, I'm not sure. You've got to help him Professor."

"Who?"

"Professor Snape. Voldemort....has him. They're going to kill him."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, I'm sure. I saw him, I was Voldemort. He's angry and he's going to kill Snape. They're somewhere in the Forbidden Forest, probably near the middle. I could see the castle in the background."

"Stay here." Dumbledore ordered as he disapparated with a "pop"

Harry stood up as soon as Dumbledore left. For a while, he just paced back and forth like a caged animal.

"If there is a merciful God, please let them get to Professor Snape in time. Please, let him be alive. Just let him be alive." Harry kept thinking to himself over and over as he paced.

Harry hated being confined to the bedroom, so we went out into the living room. Harry put socks on when he got out there because the floors of the dungeons were freezing cold. Harry didn't really understand why he had been brought down to Snape's private quarters. He was suppose to be at Grimmauld place, but Dumbledore didn't give an explanation as to the change in location.

Harry was slightly antsy. The private quarters were rather large, but it had few things in it. There was a couch and a table, but that was about it. The only other item was a bookshelf, filled with books,  that spanned the length of the longest wall. Harry walked over to the table and picked up its only object. This book was a potions book, which meant that Snape must have been reading this at some point.

Harry was studying the outside of the book when a glint of light come from the table. Harry put the book down and picked up the shining object.

"Oh no." Harry gasped softly.

The object that Harry was holding was Snape's lucky coin.

"No wonder he was captured, he didn't have his coin." Harry thought to himself

Harry continued to switch between pacing the drawing room and sitting on the couch. How long had it been? Minutes? Hours? Harry had no idea, but it was taking way too long. There was a loud pop in the drawing room, causing Harry to whirl around with his wand that the ready.

"Harry, we need to go now." Dumbledore stated.

Dumbledore was disheveled, that much was evident to Harry. The man's robes were torn at the bottom. He was caked in dirt, and... was that blood on Dumbledore's robes? The older of the two didn't show any signs of being injured, so whose blood was that?

"Harry, we need to go." Dumbledore repeated again.

There was an edge to his voice. Was Dumbledore scared? No, Harry had never seen him scared, but there was no mistaking it. What was Dumbledore scared of? Did it have something to do with Snape?

"What happened, Professor?" Harry asked as he stowed his wand away.

"Don't put your wand away, Harry. There is no time to explain, we need to go." Dumbledore answered quickly.

Harry pulled his wand out of his pocked at placed a hand on Dumbledore's arm. With a pop, Snape's private quarters became silent.

 



They arrived at the hospital and quickly ran through the waiting room doors. Harry was at the point of spriting to keep up with Dumbledore.

 "Is Professor Snape okay?" Harry asked breathlessly as they ran through the hall.

"I do not know. I left him here then returned to the fight." Dumbledore responded in a whisper.

They continued running through the halls looking for, what Harry assumed, was Snape's room. In their search, they saw Healer Anderson.

"Headmaster Dumbledore, what are you doing here?" Anderson asked, bringing Dumbledore to a halt.

"Professor Snape has been severely injured." Dumbledore whispered once again.

Healer Anderson took off running and the other two followed, hoping that the healer knew where Snape was. Anderson and Dumbledore stopped abruptly, causing Harry to almost crash into them. Anderson walked into the room and Harry went to follow when he was held back.

"We are going to stay out here until Healer Anderson comes back, Harry." Dumbledore informed, but it seemed more like an order.

Harry had yet to look into the room and when he did, he was shocked. There wasn't enough time to describe the scene inside the room because Healer Anderson walked into the hallway.

"Let's go talk in my office." Anderson ushered Harry and Dumbledore towards his office. He seemed to change his demeanor, which could not be a good thing. The walk was short, which meant that Harry didn't have to wait long to know how Snape was doing.

"Take a seat." Anderson offered after he conjured two extra chairs.

Dumbledore took a seat, but Harry refused to sit down. He wanted to be in control of the situation even though part of him knew that he wasn't.

"Why don't you sit down, Harry?" Anderson questioned.

"I don't want to. How is Professor Snape?" Harry asked back.

"Let's take a look." Anderson put on a pair of glasses and began flipping through the notes.

"We know that you read the notes. Just tell us." Harry commented angrily.

"Very well." Anderson said to himself, nodding his head. "I'm going to be straight with you. Professor Snape is in a very critical situation. He has large amounts of internal bleeding, multiple broken ribs. Three shattered ribs caused both lungs to collapse and fill with blood. He lost a lot of blood from wounds on his back. Broken nose, signs of brain damage. Dehydration caused by extensive burns over forty-five percent of his body. Nerve damage caused by extensive torture. Visible spinal cord injuries. Since he has been here, we've seen little changers in his vitals and brain activity."

"His pulse is very low, same with his blood pressure. His organs are shutting down because of shock. We've placed him in a coma in hopes that it will slow the onset of shock, but his organs are still shutting down. So far his kidneys and liver have shut down. His lungs are in the process of shutting down, so we have magically controlled his breathing. The doctor who did the original healing seems to think that the mortality rate is high and I tend to agree with that theory."

"What does that mean?" Harry asked.

"It means that Professor Snape is most likely not going to survive." Dumbledore responded before turning to Anderson. "How long?"

"At the current rate that his organs are failing, I give him a day if he's extremely lucky. realistically, with the state that he's in, a few hours at most." Anderson replied.

Harry didn't understand what they were talking about. Snape was going to die in a few hours? That couldn't be possible. Snape had lived through so much. He had been a spy for years and he had survived physical abuse from his father. No, Snape could not die. Now now. Harry silently stormed out of the room, an exit that would have put Professor Snape to shame.

He strode toward Snape's room. He needed to see for himself how Snape was doing. They had been lying to him, Snape could not be dying. He had to see for himself. If Harry was there with Snape, maybe the Professor would be okay. Harry hoped that was the case even though he knew, deep down, that what Healer Anderson said was true. Harry did not slow until he was at Snape's bedside.

Harry's knees shook as he stood there in shock. He sat down hard in the nearest chair, trying to calm himself. Snape looked horrible. His arms, chest, and legs were wrapped up, protecting the burns. His skin looked yellow, which mean that his liver had failed. It was obvious that the Professor's breathing was controlled by magic because it was too slow and controlled to be natural. The vitals screen showed that Snape's heartbeat was slowing down. There was another screen below that, which must have read higher brain function/activity. That screen had one flat line. Snape was indeed dying.
Harry was close to tears when he came to that realization.

"Professor, you need to keep fighting. I know that you may not be able to fight anymore, but you need to. You can't die. You're the only who who I think can help me when I finally go and fight him. I need you, Professor." Harry pleaded as he dug into his pocket. "They say that you need to be lucky to make it through a day. I know you're lucky because you've been a spy for years without getting caught." Harry pulled out Snape's lucky coin from his pocket. "You need more luck than I do, Professor." Harry pushed the coin into Snape's hand. "I need you, Professor. If you stop fighting, then you let them win." Harry whispered before sitting down.

He sat there for a while before Dumbledore walked into the room.

"Are you okay, Harry?" He questioned.

"I'm fine." Harry growled in response. "Was anyone else hurt in the fight?"

"Professor Lupin and Molly Weasley, but they will live. The Weasley family and Ms. Granger are here."

"How many did we capture?" Harry asked, not even paying attention to the fact that two of his best friends were here right now.

"We made a significant dent in the death eater army. We managed to recapture both Lestranges and Lucius Malfoy. I don't think it will any difference with the ministry under Voldemort's control. This hold will be filled quickly because of that fact alone."

"It doesn't matter." Harry had yet to take his eyes off of Snape's inert body. "It will just be me and him in the end."

There was a beep in the room causing Anderson and another healer to sprint into the room.

"What was that?" Harry questioned when they ran into the room.

None of them answered Harry, but they conversed with each other.

"Higher brain activity." Anderson stated.'

"Blood pressure is rising." Another commented.

"Heart rate slowly rising." Someone pointed out.

"What's happening?!" Harry shouted.

Another beep echoed in the room.

"He's getting...." Anderson said before turning to the other doctors. The others nodded their head in agreement. "I almost want to say better, but I don't know. This is...a good thing. It's the first sign of higher brain activity we've seen from him since he got here. What happened before that first beep?"

"Nothing happened. I was only speaking to the headmaster." Harry replied.

Another beep sounded in the room.

"Is he recognizing Harry's voice?" Dumbledore asked.

"It would seem so. He's still in a very critical situation, but this could be a step in the right direction. I will be overseeing his care now. It's a good thing that he is recognizing your voice, Harry. It means he's still in there and fighting." Anderson offered before leaving the room with the other healer.

"Yes, it's starting to work." Harry thought to himself.

"Harry, I will be right back. I'm going to check on Molly and Professor Lupin." Dumbledore informed before also leaving the room.

"The one time you get caught, Professor, you didn't have your coin. Did you know that you didn't have it? Did you know what was going to happen? I'm sorry that I held onto it." Harry apologized. "How did he know that you were a spy?" Harry let that question hang in the air.

It was a little while later that Harry heard a knock on the window. He jumped in his chair and turned toward the knock. Dumbledore was standing outside the room and was beckoning Harry to come out. Harry slowly stood up and took one last look at Snape before leaving the room.

"What is it, Headmaster?" Harry questioned.

"Harry!" People suddenly shouted, swarming Harry. There was a flash of bushy hair and two sets of ginger hair. The people who had swarmed were Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. They were over enthusiastic to see him.

"Oh my god, Harry." Hermione shouted. "We've been worried about you."

"Yeah mate. You crashed hard."

"They said that you had hit your head." Ginny added after Ron.

"No one could find you. The entire order was out looking for you." Hermione continued.

"Yeah, mum asked how you were doing when she got here." Ginny informed.

"Is your mother okay? How about Lupin?" Harry asked.

"Both are fine. Mom got hit by a nasty spell and Lupin got some cuts from Greyback. They will both be fine. " Ginny answered.

"Where was the Order?" Harry questioned.

"They were at Grimmauld place. There was suppose to be a meeting tonight, so it was a good thing that they were all there. I wonder what they were doing in the forest, the death eaters I mean." Ron said.

"What is that?" Hermione asked, pointing to Snape's invention.

Harry had forgot that he was wearing it.

"Professor Snape made this. I suffered some nerve damage from the fall. It helps me move my arms." Harry answered her. "And I know what they were doing in the forest. They were going to kill Snape."

"What? Why?" Ginny and Ron both questioned.

"How do you know, Harry?" Hermione asked, concerned.

"I'm not one hundred percent sure why. I saw them torturing Snape."

"Harry, those visions were suppose to stop." Hermione argued. "You...learning occulmency was suppose to get you to close your mind. Harry, this has to stop."

"Hermione, I can't always control it." Harry rebuked. "Plus, I don't want to close my mind. This connection between us has been helpful to me. It I had closed my mind, Snape would be dead."

"Snape owes you this life twice over. He can't be happy about that." Ron commented.

"I wouldn't know if he is or not." Harry whispered.

It stayed silent between the four of them for a few seconds.

"I believe that Professor McGonagall is going to take the three of you back to the school soon." Professor Dumbledore walked up to the group as he spoke. "You should say goodbye to Mr. Potter before you say goodbye to the others."

Hermione was the last one to hug Harry goodbye.

"Please be careful, Harry. Everything that has happened has happened for a reason." Hermione whispered quickly into his ear.

When she stopped hugging Harry, he gave a nod in confusion but didn't ask any questions.

"Do you know when you are coming back to school?" Ginny asked.

"I don't. I need to get better physically before I can come back. I will let you know before I come back, but it could be awhile."

"It's fine, Harry. Don't rush back into school. I have copies of notes for you when you do come back. We'll see you when you get back." Hermione said before Dumbledore ushered them away.

Harry walked back into Snape's room and sat down.

"What did she mean, Professor?" Harry wondered softly.

Why had Hermione not said it out loud? Was it because Dumbledore was there? What did it mean?

"Harry." A voice broke the silence, causing Harry to jump and remove his wand from his pocket. His wand was pointed directly at Dumbledore. "I did not mean to startle you, Harry. You've been fairly jumpy as of late. Is everything alright?"

"Yes, sir." Harry asked quickly, laying his wand across his lap.

Dumbledore stood there for a moment. His gaze was something that Harry had seen before. It was like Dumbledore was looking into Harry and knew that something was not right.

"We should probably get back to Professor Snape's private quarters. You are still hurt and need to rest."

"No." Harry outright denied Dumbledore.

"Please, Harry. There is nothing you can do by sitting here."

"I'm not leaving." Harry denied again.

"Harry, have you come to care for Professor Snape?"

"No. I am returning a favor. He did this for me, so I'm doing the same for him."