Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The First Challenge

     As soon as Potter fell unconscious, Snape relinquished the curse. Death Eaters poured out of the room. Voldemort spoke only when he and Snape were alone.
      "Did you enjoy that, Severus?" He questioned.
      "I did." Snape answered, still looking at the broken child on the floor.
      "I require something of you."
      "What is it my lord requires?"
      "Heal Harry Potter."
      "May I ask why my lord asks me to heal his most hated enemy?"
      "I want Harry Potter to be a full health, so that when it comes time to kill him, he will be at full strength."
     Snape knelt down as Voldemort spoke, hoping to check the boy's pulse.
       "Will that not make him a tougher fight?"
       "It will, but it will let the world know that I am stronger and more powerful than the fabled Harry Potter. You must heal him."

     Snape waved his wand over the boy, casting a diagnostic scan. The scan showed Snape a lot and none of it was good. Potter's pulse was there, but slow. He had a broken shoulder, arm and wrist, which was most likely caused in the attempt to catch Snape. The rest of the injuries had to have been caused from his fall off the broom. A broken ankle and hip were the only injuries below the waist.

     The boy's back was badly injured, so bad that Snape thought it might be broken. Snape could hear the boy's breathing come in short, shallow gasps. A lung was punctured by some broken ribs. What scared Snape the most were the large amounts of internal bleeding that was seen in the boy's stomach and head. It now made sense why the boy had been slurring his words.

    Potter was seriously hurt and Snape had to talk Voldemort out of healing him here.

     "My lord, I do not believe that Harry Potter can be healed. He has been injured far too severely."

     "What are you trying to tell me?"

     "I will be surprised if Harry Potter lives longer than an hour. He has large amounts of bleeding inside of him. Allow me to take him to St. Mungos."

    "That will not be allowed. He may try to escape."

    "He can not walk, my lord! This boy is injured beyond my capabilities of healing. It I were to heal him, it would be a wast of time, effort, and of any resources that we use in the attempt to heal him. No matter how we try, I believe that he will die."

    "Are you defying my orders?" Voldemort questioned dangerously.

    "No, I am doing no such thing. I am merely giving you my opinion."

    "Your opinion is not needed in this matter." Voldemort cut off. "Heal the boy."

    "If my lord commands it, then it shall be done."

    Snape carefully lifted the broken boy into his arms, taking meticulous care to keep the boy's head, neck, and back well supported.

    "You know where our prisoners are kept." Voldemort stated.

The message was very clear. Harry Potter does not leave the dungeon.

     "Yes, My Lord."

Snape left the room and carried Potter to the cellar.

    "I've got you, Harry." Snape whispered to the unconscious boy as he walked down the stairs.

When Snape arrived to the cellar, he carefully lowered Potter to the ground. He quickly pulled off his traveling cloak and his regular cloak, which was something he rarely took off. Moving with lightning fast speed, he moved a crate by Potter and carefully lifted his legs onto it. This would hopefully slow or stop the onset of shock. He wrapped the boy in his traveling cloak, then placed his regular cloak under the unconscious child's head.

      As Snape pulled out his wand, he cursed Voldemort and the Death Eaters to hell. To torture an adult, although not morally or legally right, could be understandable in some situations, but to torture a boy of 16....It was disgusting. If Voldemort would not allow Harry to be taken to get help, then Snape was going to have to do the best he could. What he told Voldemort was not a lie, he did expect the boy to die.

Snape casted a spell over Harry, which would allow Snape to know if Harry's vitals began to fall.

     "You are not going to let go, Potter. Not while I am away." Snape spoke as he stood.

He had to go to Hogwarts. Dumbledore needed to know and Snape needed his healing supplies. Snape paused before climbing the stairs to look at Potter. The boy looked peaceful, but Snape knew differently. Harry was in a lot of pain. The scene made Snape want to cry and kill Voldemort all at once. That would have to wait because, as of right now, the impossible task of keeping Harry Potter alive was Severus Snape's number one priority.


     Snape apparated into Dumbledore's office, nearly giving the old man a heart attack. There have been only two wizards who could apparate in and out of Hogwarts and Snape was one of them.

     "I have some news for you, Albus."

     "As do I." Dumbledore answered, breathing quickly from the fright that Snape caused him. "Harry has still not been found."

     "I have a solution to that." Snape said, but Dumbledore kept talking.

     "We have centaurs scouring the forbidden forest, but there was no sign..."

     "Potter has been captured by the death eaters!" Snape shouted over the headmaster.

This caused Dumbledore to stop speaking and look at the spy wearily.

     "What did you say?"

     "The boy is being held prisoner by the death eaters."

     "How sure are you?"

     "How sure am I?" Snape repeated. "I held the unconscious child's body. I was forced to torture him. I am very sure that the bloody death eaters have Harry Potter."

    "How long has he been there?"

    "My guess, since he crashed. The death eaters all got a chance to torture him."

    "How badly is he hurt?" Dumbledore asked, coming around to the front of his desk.

     "I do not believe that he will survive the night. You Know Who has made it my mission to heal him, but he will not allow me to take the boy to St. Mungos."

     "You must keep Harry alive."

     "The only way I can keep him alive is to take him to St. Mungos. He is hurt beyond my abilities to heal. He needs an actual healer."

     "You are a very smart man, Severus. You must keep Harry alive at all costs and you will find a way to do it."

    "The only idea I have is to take him to St. Mungos." Snape said exasperated. "You wish me to give up my position as a spy within the ranks of the death eaters?"

    "No. You must stay a spy, for your role is vastly important. My final words are..."Dumbledore whispered as he walked over to the office fireplace. "You will find a way that will both help Harry and keep your position as insider into the ranks of the death eaters. Please proceed with caution."

    Then Dumbledore disappeared in the fireplace, the only traces left of him was the black ask on the carpet. Snape thought that Albus was acting odd, but he could not dwell upon it as he apparated to his private quarters. Snape grabbed a bag, which held all of his healing supplies, and multiple blankets. He was only there for ten seconds before apparating out of Hogwarts and back into the midst of Malfoy Manor.

    The alarm that Snape placed on Harry had not gone off, so that meant that he was still alive. The other death eaters did not attempt to bother Snape as he stalked to the cellar and slammed the iron gate closed. Harry had been just as Snape had left him, unconscious, injured and barely alive.

    Once Snape knelt down beside the boy, he got to work. Snape did as much as he thought was safe for the boy. The Potions Master mended the child's wrist, arm, shoulder, hip and ankle. Snape would have mended the boy's ribs, but he feared that the punctured lung would collapse. The large amounts of internal bleeding caused Snape the most worry, but he was not a skilled enough healer to treat those injuries. Snape then spelled a nerve agent and a pain reliever into Potter. That was the best that he was able to do, besides placing blankets over the boy and under his head.

Doing anything more could possibly kill Potter. Snape sat back on his haunches and looked up.

    "This is the best that I can do, Lily. Hopefully, it's enough to keep him alive till I can get help." Snape whispered as he reached for Harry's wrist.

    Now that Snape could do no more, he was left to keep vigil over the broken boy that lay before him.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I'm sorry about the first little bit of this chapter, tech problems with my computer. Hope you liked it. R&R