Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

My Lord, You Will Have To Take A Number

   Snape was awaken by the sound of a door slamming. He had never meant to fall asleep, even if it was only for half an hour. Looking at the boy, Snape felt for a pulse. Surprisingly, he still had one. He had survived the night, which disproved Snape's original prediction. He stood up to stretch his muscles, gave the boy another dose of pain reliever and nerve agent before leaving to give an update to Dumbledore.
   This time, Snape apparated outside of Dumbledore's office.

   "Tentacle Tarts." Snape muttered.
The eagle in front of the headmasters office moved aside, allowing Snape to pass through.

   "Enter." Dumbledore called as Snape reached for the door.
Snape opened the door and proceeded into the headmasters office.

   "Good Morning Severus. You are here in front of me, so that means that Harry is still alive."

   "Yes, he has survived the night."

   "And how did you manage that?"

   "With minimal amounts of healing. The boy still has large amounts of bleeding in his torso and head. I have seen men die from lesser injuries. He should not have survived the night."

   "Harry is not like the common man."

   "He's in a lot of pain. I have done all I can for him right now. Any more and he might die. That is the best I can do and even then, he needs a real healer." Snape spoke while looking at the fireplace.
He tried to hide his expression but his voice betrayed him.

   "Have you come to care for the boy, Severus?" Albus questioned.

   "That boy is spawn of James Potter." Snape replied contemptuously, letting Dumbledore know that the answer was no.

   That answer was true, but it was also untrue at the same time. He did not come to care for the boy, but there was something new. There was an instinct to protect Harry. Not the instinct that a teacher has to protect his students, but it was almost a fatherly instinct. That was impossible; however, because only fathers could have that instinct and Snape was NOT Harry's father.

   "I can do nothing more for him." Snape reiterated, turning his gaze back to Dumbledore.

   "Listen to me closely, Severus. Harry Potter must live, for he is vital to the war. If you allow him to die, there will be a very long line of people who wish to kill you. I am normally a docile person, but I will be at the head of that line."

   "Is that a threat against my life, Albus?!" Snape shouted, grabbing hold of Albus' collar and shaking him.

   "No, it is merely a friendly reminder of what's at stake." Dumbledore answered when he had stopped being shaken. "I believe that would should go back to Harry." Dumbledore spoke calmly as he pushed Severus away from him and walked toward the window.

    "Is there something I should know, Headmaster?" Snape questioned, remember that Albus had also been acting strangely the night before.

   "There is nothing of importance at the moment. Just know that even though it is sunny and warm outside, those who know Harry well are cold on the inside, in hopes that he may feel their warmth and continue to fight." Dumbledore did not look at Snape when he spoke or after he was done speaking.

   Snape took this as his cue for dismissal.


   Snape was forced to make his way back to Malfoy Manor. He decided not to apparate directly from Hogwarts, for he needed a large amount of time to clear his mind. He waited till he got to the end of Hogsmeade before apparating. During his journey, Snape cursed himself, angry that he allowed his emotions to explode in front of someone.

 

   Snape also cursed Dumbledore  for getting under his skin. Snape should not have allowed Albus to get under his skin, so it was both their faults. He could feel himself getting worked up and that could be a dangerous, volatile mistake. Snape forced himself to diverge from the main road and into a small side alley. He had to control his anger, but he had a right to be angry about a lot of things. The two masters that he "served" were at the top of that list.

   The spy's surroundings seem to disappear as red clouded his vision. There was the sound of wood breaking. Snape's surroundings cleared as he slid to the ground. The wooden crate, next to Snape, was broken in pieces and pain radiated throughout his left shin. The anger had not left Snape entirely, but sadness took its place. Sitting there, Severus pulled shards of wood out of his shin as his eyes became wet with tears.

   He was not going to allow himself to cry. He had only cried twice in his life and he would not allow it today. But he was so scared. He was only this scared when he learned that Voldemort was going after Lily. This time he was scared for Harry.  The boy should be dead, but he is fighting it. Why does he want to come back to a world of misery? Why does he want to come back to carry the fate of the wizarding world? Harry has an immense pressure that was forced upon him and, now that he is dying, Snape does as well. Snape is expected to heal the boy and, if not, then he would be dead as well.

   Snape looked left and right, allowing the cold brick to cool his face. It would be so easy to just give up. Snape could give up and disappear. No one would be able to find him. He could be done with everything. But that would be unfair to Harry. Harry was trying to fight his way back and Snape had to be there to help him. Snape knew what he was going to do and, even though he tried to talk himself out of it, he stood once again and apparated to Malfoy Manor.

His reason for returning was simple: Harry was alone and needed Snape.

 

 



   "How is the boy, Severus?" Voldemort questioned as he entered the cellar.

 

Snape had been sitting down there for fifteen minutes before Voldemort entered.

   "He survived the night." Snape replied as he stood. "He is hanging on by a thread. If anything elsewere to happen, he will need an actual healer."

 

   "As I have told you before, Severus, Harry Potter is not allowed to be taken to St. Mungos.
 

    "My Lord, if you want him to live then he needs to be there."
   

   "The boy will escape from my clutches if he goes there. You are the best chance for my plan to work."
 

    "I am a novice healer with little abilities in a place like this."
   

   "Maybe you do not understand what is at stake here. If Harry Potter dies, I will have no choice to make you pay for your failure."

   "Then, my lord, you will have to take a number. There is a long list of people who will make me pay and one of those people is Albus Dumbledore. I would much rather died by your hand instead of that old, weak, man's hand. As I said before, I am a novice healer and this is the best that I can do." Snape argued.

   "Then you will have to do better than your best, Severus. I would also suggest that you watch your tongue in front of me. This is the second time in as many days that you have argued an order with me. I would watch your step because you are starting to tread on thin ice."

   Voldemort turned and stalked out of the cellar, slamming the iron gate behind him.