Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Awake, Afraid, and Another Problem

The first forty-eight hours were nerve racking. Not once did Snape take his eyes off Harry, for fear that the boy would die. Miraculously, the boy did survive those long forty-eight hours.  Three days later, doctors removed the breathing tube from Harry's throat. Now all they could do was wait for Harry, seeing as this was a self induced coma. It was a relief seeing Harry breathing on his own. Snape knew that Harry was on the mend. The only question left to be answered was when, and if, Harry would wake up.
    Doctors replaced the portion of Harry's skull they had removed the next day. Five more days would pass with no change, which severely began to worry Snape. He would stalk about the room for hours at a time, asking himself if the boy was ever going to wake up. Snape had walked over to the window after a particularly discouraging conversation with Anderson. There was mumbled speaking in the room.
    "What do you want?!" Snape shouted as he whirled around in anger.
No one was standing in the doorway, which caused Snape to walk to that point and look into the hallway.
    "Professor." the voice mumbled again.
Snape turned around so quickly that any other man would have fallen. His eyes fell to Harry, who was awake and moving.


    He rushed over to Harry.
    "Thank Merlin, Harry. How are you feeling?"
    "Professor, what...?" Harry began to ask but stopped suddenly.
Flashes of scenes came to him. There weren't many in number, but they were horrifying enough to scare him. He was falling off his broom, then he remembered being tortured. The torture had stopped and people were speaking, but Harry heard none of it. He was horrified when he looked up and saw Severus Snape standing before him.
    "Harry, are you okay?" Snape questioned, touching Harry's shoulder.
The boy lurched away from Snape, looking side to side quickly.
    "Get away from me. Get away!" Harry shouted, pulling his knees up to his chest. "Get away, get away, get away!" Harry continued shouting till Snape had backed away to the other side of the room. "Where's my wand? Where's my wand, Snape?"
    "I have it, Harry." Snape dug into his pocket and produced the wand. "See, it's right here." He held it out of Harry to see.
    "Give it here." Harry ordered.
    "Harry, you've been seriously hurt."
    "I DON'T CARE! Give me my wand. And I want to talk to Headmaster Dumbledore."
    "I can go get the Headmaster, but I can't give you back your wand."
    "You'll give me my wand, Snape!" Harry demanded.
    "You will address me with respect, Potter. You are very unstable right now and your wand will stay mine until I return. Is that understood?" Snape argued in a stern voice.
    Harry looked like he wanted to attack Snape, but a look of defeat slowly seeped into his eyes. He nodded in agreement.
    "Good. You are going to stay in that bed while I get your doctor in here, then I will get the headmaster. Do not move." Snape walked out of the room and dragged Anderson in, ordering him to stay with Harry until he had returned.
    With that order, Snape disapparated.



He appeared in Dumbledore's office, causing the old man to jump out of his seat.
    "Merlin, Severus. You really need to stop doing that. You will give this old man a heart attack."
    "It's Potter." Snape blurted out in the middle of Dumbledore's rant.
    "What's happened?" Albus asked, coming to stand next to Snape.
    "He is awake. He went mad. He was yelling at me to back away. He was absolutely terrified." Snape spoke quickly.

"Severus, slow down and start again. Tell me the whole story."

Snape reiterated the whole event back to Dumbledore, speaking as quickly as he could while still being understood.

"He was terrified." Snape finished.

"Well, Severus. I can't blame him. He woke up in a hospital and remembered a few things of what happened. It seems, to me, that he remembers you torturing him."

    "Not of my own choosing." Snape spat.
    "That's true, but does Harry know that?"
    "I didn't get a chance to tell him over his yelling. Wait, you want me to tell that boy everything. You want to tell a child who has a direct connection with the dark lord what I have done? The boy is incapable of occulmency."
    "Did you not tell me that Voldemort fears that connection? If you are correct, then we have nothing to fear. Let's not make the boy wait any longer."
    With that showing the end of the conversation, both men apparated out of the office.



    "Dumbledore." Harry whispered when the headmaster entered the room.
    "Harry, I am glad to see that you are awake. You gave everyone quite a scare."
Anderson left the room and Harry seemed to forget that Snape had been there. That was until he saw Snape place his wand down on the bed side table. He turned to Snape and the two men locked eyes. Harry's began to fill with fear.
    "Get away." Harry whispered.
Snape obeyed and moved to the other wall. Harry turned to Dumbledore when he felt that Snape was a far enough distance away from him.
    "Why did you want Professor Snape to move away from you?" Dumbledore asked.
    "I don't trust him. He's a death eater."
    "I don't understand Harry. What makes you think that?"
    "I was falling off my broom and I woke up. I was surrounded by death eaters and.....and he tortured me. I can't trust him." Harry finished with a shake of his head.
    "Harry, why can't you trust Professor Snape, when he gave you back your wand? Did he not keep his word?"
    "He did, but that doesn't mean that I can trust him." Harry snapped.
It didn't hurt Snape to hear that at all. Dumbledore had told him that the boy never trusted Snape, but Snape did just save his life. Shouldn't he get some trust for that?
    "Harry, do you know that Professor Snape has kept you alive?" Harry looked at Dumbledore with a questioning look on his face. "He did Harry." Dumbledore answered his unasked question. "He kept you alive for three days before bringing you here. Would a normal death eater do that to you?"
    "Maybe." Harry said. "If Voldemort made them, that is."
Harry reached out to grab his wand. He put the wand under his palm and curled his fingers. Or so he thought. His fingers would not curl. Harry told himself to curl his fingers but still, nothing happened. He could feel the other two men's eyes boring into he and he dragged his hand across the table. The result was his wand clattering to the floor.
    "Harry, are you okay?" Dumbledore asked, but Harry didn't answer.
He was staring at his hand as if it was a new body part. Why couldn't he pick up his wand?
    "Pick up your wand, Potter." Snape ordered as he put the wand on the table
Harry stared at him in anger. Great, now Snape was going to ridicule Harry because he couldn't pick up his wand.
    "Pick it up." Snape repeated.
Harry looked again at his wand and tried to pick it up. The result was the same, causing Snape to bend down a pick it up once again.
    "Why can't I pick up my wand?" Harry asked to no one in particular.
    "I don't know, Harry." Snape spoke as he straightened. "But I intend to find out."
Snape left the room in search of Anderson. It stayed silent between the two remaining men.
    "Did he really keep me alive?" Harry asked.
    "Would I lie about something as serious as life or death?" Dumbledore questioned.
Harry shook his head no.
    "Headmaster, what actually happened? How did I get captured?"
    "I don't know much about after you got captured. I think Professor Snape is more fit to tell you about that. You said that you were falling off your broom. You were part of a Quidditch match."
    "Is everyone alright? I remember the weather being dreadful."
    "No one else was seriously hurt. One of the grandstand levels caught fire and you got the teams to work together to help the staff off. From my memory, you were on the ground when Snape fell off the grandstand. You flew after him and managed to catch him, but he unseated you from your broom. That is all I know."
    Snape walked into the room with two healers, one of them was Anderson, following behind him.
    "Hello Harry." The unknown healer said. "My names is Healer Ravensdale. I was wondering if you would allow me to run some tests."
    "What kinds of tests?" Harry asked.
    "Well, I am a neurologist. That means that I know alot about how your brain works. I want to run some tests to see how your brain is working."
    Harry allowed the healer to run these tests, but he didn't understand why he was looking at his head when it was Harry's hands that weren't working. The healer spent an hour running tests on him. For most of it he asked Harry to pick up different objects. Harry was very frustrated when the healer asked him to pick up his wand.
    "You obviously know I can't pick up my wand when you saw that I couldn't pick anything else up!" He shouted.
    "Very well. Healer Anderson and I will be back shortly." the healer said as he walked out of the room.
    "Why so many tests?" Harry whispered to himself, but Snape heard.
    "They are just trying to be thorough." He answered.
    "Thorough my arse. He was just trying to humiliate me." Harry spat.
    "Potter, watch your language and your temper. Getting angry at this point in time will do no good for anyone."
    Harry glared at Snape knowing the older man was right, but the younger didn't want to admit it.
    "How did I get captured?" Harry sneered.
    "There were death eaters at the game. I don't know if anyone can vouch for their whereabouts. You-Know-Who tells me that he's had some waiting in the forbidden forest all year."
    "How are you both a death eater and not a death eater?"
    "You-Know-Who went after someone I loved. After that, I wanted to destroy him. That's all you need to know."
    "Why'd you torture me, if you are a double agent?"
    "If I don't torture you, my cover is blown and my life is in peril. I did heal you and brought you here. I already defied an order."
    Then Harry's curiosity got the better of him.
    "Who did he go after?" He asked.
    "That is my personal life, Potter." Snape replied.
    "I want to know at least something. It seems your personal life has apparently changed mine as well."
    "Damn, this boy is right." Snape thought. "All I will tell you is that it is someone we both know."
    Harry was about to argue with Snape that he needed more, but he realized that Snape would give him no more information on that topic.
    "Is there a plan to get me out of here without having to go back to him?"
    "We do, but you will only know about it at the last possible moment." Snape replied.
    "But..."
    "There will be no buts about this Harry." Dumbledore argued. "It is our job to get you out. You need to worry about healing properly."
    As soon as Dumbledore said that, both the healers entered the room.
    "What's the problem?" Dumbledore asked.
    "We wish to run some more test and confirm with other healers. We will have an answer for you shortly." Then, just like that, the two healers left.
    "Well, that was enlightening." Harry mumbled.
Without a word, Snape stalked out of the room.
   
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry spacing was off. Computer is acting strange