Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry finds out what happened to his Mummy.
A potentially triggering chapter.
With the Angels

"Thank you for the breakfast Remus, but we really must be going." Severus said, plucking Harry up from his chair at the dining table. James and Sirius had already left, having given Severus their condolences and telling him that they would be there for him at any time if he wanted to talk. 

Remus stared hard at Severus. "Are you sure you're alright Severus?" He asked, concerned for his friend. Severus gave a brief but firm nod. "Okay Severus, but please don't hesitate to call if you need anything, anything at all." Remus reached out and grasped Severus' shoulder. Severus didn't like to see his friend so worried about him, but appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

"Thank you again for your kindness Remus. And don't worry, I'll still brew the Wolfsbane for you." Remus snorted as Severus made sure Harry was ready to leave.

"Come along Harry, we're going home now. Say bye to Uncle Moony." Severus said to the small boy who promptly gave Remus a big hug around the knees.

"Bye bye Uncle Moony! I really liked sleeping in your room, but maybe next time I can sleep on the floor like you did!" Harry said brightly. Both men laughed at Harry's declaration. Remus picked him up and gave him a warm hug in return. "You're welcome to stay here anytime you like Harry. But I need to ask you to do something very important." Remus whispered in Harry's ear. "You need to take very good care of your daddy okay? Be a good little boy."

"I promise. I'm very good at looking after my toys, so I can be good at looking after Daddy too." Harry said solemnly.

"Of course you will be." Said Remus as he set the boy back down on the floor. He lead the way to the front door. "Well goodbye you two, take care of yourselves."

"Yes you too Remus. I'll let you know about... future arrangements." Severus said sadly. It only just occurred to him that there would have to be a funeral in the near future and that was something he definitely was not looking forward to.

With an understanding nod from Remus, Severus and Harry Apparated away.

***

The pair arrived just inside the gate of their modest home. A few metres ahead of them was the cream coloured front door. A door which, when opened, would allow Severus and Harry access to the house a wife and mother died in. But of course, Harry didn't know that yet.

Severus stared ahead, the front door staring innocently back. He couldn't go in. 

"Daddy, what's the matter? Are we going inside?" Severus glanced down at his son who was peering anxiously at him.
"Yes of course Harry. Sorry about that, I was feeling a bit dizzy after Apparating." Severus lied. 

"Oh yes Daddy! Sometimes I feel like that too! Don't worry Daddy, I think it's normal." Little Harry assured him. He gave his father a huge grin and bounced towards the front door. "Come on Daddy!"

A slight smile quirked Severus' lips as he observed Harry's antics. But it was a very brief moment of happiness. Steeling himself, Severus took a step towards the front door. It was coming closer, coming closer with every step. Too soon he was at the door he dreaded opening. A door that marked the entrance of the house Lily died in. He almost felt sick with dread. But it was inevitable. He had to open the door.

Taking a deep, calming breath, Severus unlocked the door, watching enviously as Harry cheerfully ran into the house and up the stairs. He still was yet to tell his son what happened to Mummy. A tight knot clenched in Severus' stomach. There it was again. Dread. 

***

When Harry got to his bedroom, he noticed he had forgotten something. Someone, rather. Where was Mummy? He hadn't seen her in a while. A frown creased the small boy's face as he struggled to recall the events of the previous night. Mummy was asleep in the white room wasn't she?

Why didn't we go back and wake her up? Mummy can't be sleepy anymore.

Harry simply couldn't figure it out. If Daddy and he were at home, Mummy had to be with them too. He supposed he should go and ask Daddy about it. Harry plodded out of his bedroom and down the stairs in the very careful way of a three year old. He caught sight of Daddy in the kitchen, nursing a mug of tea.

Daddy looks upset. Maybe he's still feeling dizzy. The young boy thought this had to be the case.

***

As Severus sat at the kitchen bench sipping at his tea, he heard footsteps on the stairs. Harry. Severus knew it was time. He had to explain to his son what happened.

"Hello Daddy! You still look kinda dizzy." Harry chirped.

"Hey there buddy. I'm not dizzy but I need to tell you something." Severus said, almost succeeding in keeping the shakiness of his voice at bay. He gathered Harry up in his arms and sat back down holding his son on his lap.

"But Daddy, I wanted to know where Mummy was. Don't we need to go wake her up?" Harry asked innocently, looking straight into Severus' eyes.

He older man's breath hitched in his throat. "Yes, that was what I was going to talk to you about. Harry, we can't go and wake her up."
Harry giggled. "Yes we can Daddy. It's easy! I jump on you when it's Christmas and that wakes you up."

Severus couldn't manage a smile at Harry's words. "It isn't quite like that, buddy. Mummy's not going to wake up." 

The smile slid off Harry's face in an instant. "What do you mean?"
"Harry, Mummy is with... She's with the angels now." Severus said, choking back a sob. This was the most horrible feeling in the world. He wouldn't wish this feeling on his worst enemy. He was telling a child that his mother died.

"With the angels? Mummy's in the sky isn't she?" Pots and pans started to rattle and the sound of breaking china could be heard. Harry's emotions were too strong and his magic was getting out of control.

"She's in heaven, isn't she? Mummy's DEAD!" Harry screamed, great tears starting to fall down his cheeks. "I want my MUMMY!" With a heart-wrenching shriek, Severus was immobilised as he watched Harry jumped off his lap and sprint out of the kitchen. There was an almighty bang and Severus became aware that Harry's uncontrolled magic had blasted the front door open. This snapped him into action. 

"Harry!" Severus bolted out of the kitchen, but his socked feet slipped on the floor. He fell painfully on his elbow, a stabbing sensation shooting up his arm. "Shit!" Severus cursed as he stumbled to his feet. But he didn't care that his elbow was probably broken. Harry had just run out the door, potentially on to the road.

Severus sprinted out of the house and looked frantically up and down the road, his face the epitome of sheer terror. He couldn't see Harry anywhere.

"HARRY! Please, where are you?" Not knowing where he was going, Severus turned and sprinted up the footpath. "Harry! HARRY! Please come back!" Severus begged, praying with all his might that Harry wasn't hurt. He had just lost Lily. He only had Harry now. He couldn't lose him too.

***

Harry ran. He didn't know where he was going but he didn't care. Mummy was dead and he wanted her back.

"Mummy come back now! You're not dead! Daddy's a big, stupid, ugly liar! YOU'RE NOT DEAD!" Harry shrieked at the top of his lungs, tears cascading down his face. But he still ran as fast as he could. He didn't want to go back.

With tears blurring his vision, Harry couldn't see where he was going at all. He just kept running. Little did he know he was heading straight towards an oncoming car.

***

"Elizabeth, I'm so sorry I had to ruin our outing like this, but this is really urgent." Healer Rowan Moore was at the steering wheel of his car, his wife at his side. Technically the car belonged to his Muggle-born wife who disliked magical modes of travel. 

"Honestly it's fine, dear. I understand what your job involves; I've known it since before I married you." Elizabeth gave her husband a wry smile. "We can always go later."

Rowan laughed. "I can't believe I met someone as understanding as you. But this is very important. Remember how I told you about the Snape's?" His wife nodded. "Well, the victims body is ready to be given to her family so they can have the funeral. I must tell this to Mr. Snape."

"How awful." Elizabeth murmured. They drove in silence for a while. 
Suddenly, a small shape caught Elizabeth's eye. There was someone on the road! "Rowan stop! There's a child on the road!" The car screeched to a halt, mere metres from a shape in the form of a little boy.

***

Finally, Severus caught sight of Harry running across the road. "Harry!" Severus shouted, terrified that a car would come along any moment. He knew he could never get to his son in time if the worst happened; he was too far away.

Harry spun around at the sound of his father's voice. "Go away, I hate you!" Harry screeched, the anger in his voice breaking Severus' heart. The little boy turned on his heel and ran up the road.

"Come back!" Severus bolted from where he was standing on the footpath, but suddenly, something caught his eye. A white car, speeding towards his son.

"Harry!" Severus gave a strangled moan. He was rooted to the spot, he could only watch as the car came closer and closer, he could see Harry's eyes widening as he saw the car. But miraculously, the driver of the car seemed to have seen Harry too.

"Harry," Severus murmured. "You're ok."

Chapter End Notes:
I'm sorry for the kind of cliffhanger, but it had to be done! Expect more of Healer Moore in the next chapter, which will most likely be up by mid-November.