Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Severus was tired. He was so very, very tired. Yet he could not sleep. His bleary eyes focused on Harry who was curled up in a ball on his lap. There were tear tracks on his face. The boy merely gazed up into Severus' face, not saying anything at all.

He must be exhausted.

"Harry," His hoarse whisper broke the kitchen's silence. The pair had been sitting on the kitchen floor since Healer Moore left earlier that day. Of course it would have been more comfortable in the living room, but neither Severus nor Harry were keen on going in that particular room. "It's time you went to bed buddy."

Harry mumbled something incoherent and pressed his face into his father's stomach. Knowing that Harry would not get up, Severus carefully stood up, holding the boy securely in his arms, making sure not to jolt his elbow too badly. The Skele-Gro was taking effect. Luckily it was just a mild fracture.

Straight to bed with you.

Severus carried his son up the stairs, making sure to grab a vial of Dreamless Sleep on the way to Harry's room. He doubted Harry would even remember being given the potion by morning.

He carefully set his son down on the bed, changing him into pyjamas with a halfhearted flick of his wand. Harry was still gazing up at him. "Stay with me?" Harry asked softly.

Severus' heart broke for Harry. He couldn't imagine what he must be going through. Severus lost his wife and best friend, but to lose a mother... Severus couldn't, wouldn't, compare the deaths of his parents to Lily's passing. He barely knew them. His father was a pitiful drunk and an abusive man and his mother a weak, wasted woman who did not care a whit for her son. Severus did not mourn them, as horrible as it sounded. But Lily... This was entirely different.

"Yes of course Harry. But I must do something first, I won't be more than ten minutes. Will you be okay?" Severus was anxious to get back to Harry as soon as possible, but there was something pressing on his mind. He only just remembered.

Harry nodded wearily. Severus looked around for a moment and spotted Harry's favourite stuffed toy on the bookshelf. It was a doe. Lily bought the toy while shopping one day, falling in love with it instantly.

"Look what I found Sev!" Lily announced as she entered the house.

"Hello love, what have you got there?" Severus strode into the front hall, looking at Lily's shopping. She only went to buy a present for Molly and Arthur's son Ron for his birthday, but it seemed she had bought something extra.
Lily reached into one of her bags and pulled out a light brown furry thing. At least that's what it looked like to Severus.

"What's this?" He asked, smiling.

"It's a stuffed doe. Isn't it lovely? I saw it and just had to buy it for Harry. It's both of us, see?" Both Lily and Severus' Patronus was a doe, a perfect match for each other. Lily leaned in closer to Severus, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"It's perfect Lily flower."

Simple words though they may be, but Lily knew Severus liked it.

Severus plucked it off the shelf and gently handed it to Harry, the boy reaching his chubby arms out for his favourite toy. "Thank you." Harry murmured as his eyes drifted shut. Severus, a small sad smile on his lips, leaned down and kissed Harry's head, soft jet black hair tickling his nose. "I'll be back soon." Severus whispered into his hair. With that, Severus left the room and headed for that dreaded room. The living room.

Severus knew he had to go in. He could not avoid it forever. Too soon he found himself at the doorway. He looked into the room, trying to keep his eyes from watering, his lips from trembling. Everything was so still. He could hardly believe that his beloved Lily had passed away in this very room. The cream coloured walls, the squashy couches, the lamp, the fireplace, they all were mocking him.

Your wife is dead, but here we are, exactly the same. Untouched. Untarnished.

And then... then he caught sight of the half finished jumper, still lying innocently on the couch. It too, mocked him.

A sudden surge of anger coursed through him. He wanted to rip, tear, destroy the wretched jumper. Knitting was the last thing Lily did before she died and it seemed that by destroying the jumper, she would somehow return to life. Breathing heavily, Severus snatched the jumper off the couch, the ball of yarn that was attached to it bouncing on the floor. He barely restrained from tearing the jumper to pieces. Taking a deep breath, Severus tried to calm himself.

Stop. You're being irrational.

Clutching the jumper in a tight fist, he left the room and headed for his bedroom. He didn't have to break it but he never wanted to see the jumper again. Throwing open the bedroom door, Severus stalked to the wardrobe, digging into its depths. It was dark. He hadn't bothered turning on the light and a simple Lumos was beyond him at the moment. His fingers scratched against cardboard and he knew he found what he was looking for. A box. His anger hadn't abated as he slammed the box onto the carpeted floor, took the lid off and flung the jumper into it. The box was then thrown under the bed. Severus hoped with all his heart he would never have to see it again.

The rest of his body caught up with the trauma of the day. He was exhausted. His elbow was sore. Everything was sore. He slumped back on the bed, closing his eyes tightly. How he wished this was all a horrible nightmare. Healer Moore's voice replayed in his mind.

Your wife's body is ready for the funeral.

He couldn't believe that today had only been one day. Remus' house, Healer Moore, talking about the funeral. To top it off, Harry had almost gotten hit by a car for Merlin's sake!

Harry was fine after that ordeal, though a little shaken. Severus could not believe how close Harry had been to death. He remembered how his heart almost stopped in terror, how he was rooted to the spot, unable to move and rescue his son. Thank god Healer Moore stopped the car in time.

***
The car screeched to a halt. Harry looked up, surprise and shock written all over his face. Severus came to his senses and sprinted over to his son and the now stationary car. He saw two people, a man and a woman, scrambling out, anxious to see whether the boy they so very nearly hit was unhurt. There was something familiar about the man. Severus was sure he'd seen him before. His eyes suddenly widened in realisation. Healer Moore!

Severus arrived at the scene just as Moore and the woman, who looked to be his wife, recognised Harry. Moore looked up and caught sight of Severus.

"Mr. Snape! We are so sorry! Your son came from nowhere." He explained. The woman nodded frantically.

Severus inclined his head. "It's not your fault." But that didn't matter at the moment. Severus stooped to Harry's eye level. "Are you alright?" He asked concerned. His voice was calm, but his heart was thumping so hard it hurt. Harry nodded, a tear rolling down his cheek. Then another one came. And another. A sob followed soon after. And then Harry was crying, unable to contain his grief. He launched himself at his father, crying bitterly. Strong arms wrapped around Harry's small body.

"I'm sorry Daddy, I didn't mean it. I don't hate you." Harry sobbed, his voice muffled against his father's chest. Severus didn't say anything. He didn't need to. Harry was safe.

Severus momentarily forgot that they weren't alone. Moore and his wife stood silently, watching. Then Moore spoke. "Mr. Snape we are terribly sorry for all this."

Severus looked up into Moore's worried face. "It's okay, Healer. It was not your fault. You see..." He trailed off, swallowing a sob that was threatening to escape. "I told Harry."

Moore knew exactly what Severus was talking about. He surmised Harry had run away, trying to escape the reality of his mother's death.

"I actually came to tell you something. Perhaps we should find somewhere private?" Moore suggested. "I don't want to trouble you but this is important."

Severus nodded. What Healer Moore had to tell him must be about Lily. "Of course. We can go back to our house, it's not too far."

"Excellent. We can all go in the car if you like?" Moore said, eyeing Severus warily. Driving definitely was not the preferred mode of transport among wizards.

Severus supposed there was no other way. They couldn't just leave the car. "That will be fine." He was about to help Harry into the car when a stabbing sensation shot up his arm. He gasped. It did not go unnoticed by the Healer.

"Are you alright Mr. Snape?"

"Fine. I fell on my elbow before. I only just remembered it now." Severus admitted.

"Perhaps I should take a look?" With Severus' consent, Healer Moore ran a quick diagnostic spell on him. "It's fractured. Some Skele-Gro will fix it up just fine, it's only mild."

"I believe I have some Skele-Gro at home." Severus said. Nodding approvingly, Moore motioned everyone to get in the car. His wife gave him a tentative smile.

"Oh how rude of me! In all this excitement, I've forgotten to introduce my wife, Elizabeth."

***
The three adults were all seated in the kitchen, steaming cups of tea held in their hands. Severus had avoided the living room at all costs. Moore seemed to understand his aversion, suggesting they sit in the kitchen instead. They sipped quietly for a moment when Healer Moore placed his cup on his saucer and broke the silence.

"Mr. Snape, the reason for my visit was to inform you that your wife's body is ready for the funeral." Moore said quietly. He hated this part of his job. It was almost has bad as telling a patients family that they had died. Telling families and friends that a body was ready for the funeral brought on all sorts of emotions. Funerals were final. It signified that a loved one really was gone.

Severus was stunned. This was it. He was going to bury his wife. Moore talked on, mentioning funeral costs and wills. Severus listened, trying to take it in. The words washed over him, overwhelming him.

Lily's really gone.

The time soon came for the Healer and Mrs. Moore to leave. Severus walked them both to the door. When Elizabeth left for the car, Moore turned to Severus. "I couldn't say this before, as Elizabeth is not supposed to hear everything, but we are trying our hardest to find out more about this blasted disease. I swear I will do all I can."

"Yes of course. Thank you very much Healer, your kindness is much appreciated." Severus said gratefully.

Moore gave him a brief smile as they clasped hands. "I'll keep in touch. And please, call me Rowan."

***
Severus eyes flew open. Harry asked for him to stay with him. Soft sunlight was streaming in through the gap in the curtains. It was morning.

"Shit." He muttered. He only meant to close his eyes for a moment, but his body succumbed to its exhaustion. He stood up and stretched, glancing at the clock on the bedside table. 6:05. There was still enough time to go up to Harry.

Severus softly padded up the stairs and entered Harry's room. He was surprised to see his son sitting up in bed, playing with a loose thread on the ear of his doe. Harry looked up when he heard Severus enter the room. "Where were you Daddy?" Harry asked sternly. Or as stern as a three year old could possibly be.

"I'm so sorry buddy. I did what I meant to do and I meant to come back upstairs but I was so tired I fell asleep. When I woke up it was morning." Severus took a seat on the side of Harry's bed. "I am sorry."

"That's okay. I was okay." Harry held up his doe. "She looked after me. And no bad dreams."

"No dreams at all?" Severus asked, carding his fingers through Harry's hair. It seemed the potion had done its job.

"No bad dreams." Harry repeated with a firm nod of his head. "But Mummy came to me."

Severus fingers released Harry's hair. "Mummy came to you?" He asked in a whisper, more to himself than his son.

"Yes. She said I was brave. And you are brave too. And she loves us very, very much." Harry leaned in closer to Severus, as if he wanted to tell him a secret. "I think the angels let Mummy come down and talk to me for a bit." Harry whispered.

Severus smiled. Harry was probably right.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I know I said this would be up by November, but hey, better late than never right?


So are things beginning to take a turn for the better for Harry and Sev? And what of that jumper that currently resides under Severus' bed? Will Healer Moore be able to find a cure? Stay tuned because these questions will soon be answered!