Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
After a year long hiatus, I have finally decided to continue my story! I'm sorry to anyone who was reading this but the past year had been so incredibly busy and I simply could not find time nor motivation to sit down and write something. This is my longest chapter yet, so consider it as my apology :P
Hope

Vivian Ashbury stared up at the fluorescent green ceiling of her childhood bedroom. Normally she would have laughed at the audacity of having a bright green ceiling, but things were different now. She might even have it repainted. Her older brother Robert had dared her to paint it that horrendous colour when she was fifteen, young and rebellious. It didn't matter now. Robert was dead. Struck down by a disease that came out of nowhere. He was a perfectly healthy young man and now he was dead. Vivian's best friend in the whole world had left her and was never coming back.

There was a soft knock on door. Vivian's mother entered, her face lined with misery. "Honey you really should come down and eat something." Cynthia Ashbury's voice was hoarse and cracked. Vivian didn't feel like eating in the slightest but obliged so as not to upset her mother further. She kissed the top of her mother's greying head and followed her out of the green-ceilinged bedroom.

Her brother's funeral was held a few days ago. It was the most horrible experience Vivian had ever faced in all of her twenty four years. Her mother wasn't doing too well either. Vivian had offered to stay with her mother for a few days to look after her and Cynthia had happily agreed. Vivian sighed. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Everything was going to go downhill from here.

"Sit down Mum, I'll make us a cup of tea." Vivian busied herself with the kettle, not bothering to do it with magic. She needed the distraction. She fell deep into thought about her brother and how perfect his life was. He was about to be married to the girl of his dreams, he was a star Quidditch player, he was popular and well-liked by all who knew him. Her mother's voice broke her reverie. "Vivian, look at this." Vivian turned and noticed the Daily Prophet in Cynthia's hands. The headline read YOUNG WOMAN LATEST CASUALTY OF SILENT KILLER. "What? Another one?" Vivian moaned. This was absolutely incomprehensible. This marked the sixth victim of this damned disease and no one in the Wizarding World had any idea what was causing it. Cynthia read the article in a shaking voice.

Lily Snape, 23, has been named the latest victim of a killer that has baffled Healing professionals throughout the Wizarding World. She was reported dead one week ago, but Healers claim she was in perfect physical condition. This is not dissimilar to the five other cases reported this month, the most recent being Robert Ashbury, 26. Mrs Snape leaves behind grieving husband, celebrated Potions Master Severus Snape and their young son. Head Healer at St Mungo's Hospital, Rowan Moore, tried in vain to resuscitate Mrs Snape when she was brought to the hospital. "This disease has well and truly bewildered me. As with the other victims, there was nothing wrong with Mrs Snape. We have teams of people working to find a cure and hope to make a discovery in the near future." He said outside his London home. Meanwhile, Minister for Magic, Millicent Bagnold, refuses to direct funding towards research into this silent killer. In fact, more funding has been providing for the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. "I simply do not believe funding for this disease is necessary. Dark Forces are out there right now and our Aurors need the best resources possible if our world is to be kept safe. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has been defeated but with some of his followers still free, they could easily kill more wizards and witches than this disease ever could," A harried Ms Bagnold was reported as saying. Perhaps there is truth in her words but is our trust in the government misplaced in this matter? The number of victims from this disease is steadily rising and a cure must be found as soon as possible.

Cynthia placed the newspaper on the dining table with trembling hands. She looked at her daughter, lost for words. Vivian placed a comforting arm around her mother's shoulders but her mind was elsewhere. She gazed at the young woman smiling up at her from the photograph in the article. Lily Snape. Vivian remembered her as Lily Evans, a cheery girl with flaming red hair who was one year below her at Hogwarts. Vivian felt a pang at her loss. Lily was a nice girl, though she did not know her that well. So she married Severus Snape? It was easy to remember the sullen young man from her own house at Hogwarts. Vivian felt so frustrated. The combined loss of Lily Snape and her beloved brother was too much to bear. She just had to do something. "Vivian, what is the matter? Did you know this girl?" Her mother's voice broke the silence once again.

"As a matter of fact I did. Albeit not very well. She was a year below me at school." Vivian murmured.

"Oh my dear, I'm so sorry." Cynthia said sadly. She held her daughter close to her.

"I have to do something! First Robert, now Lily! Enough is enough!" Vivian exploded, breaking out of Cynthia's grasp and striding towards the kitchen window. Cynthia watched Vivian's back, admiring her daughter. She was always such a strong person but Robert's death had affected her in ways that Cynthia could not imagine. They always got along so well as children and Cynthia was extremely proud to say that she rarely had to tell them off for fighting. She knew that his younger sister meant the world to Robert. How would she go on without him? Cynthia gazed around the kitchen catching sight of the forgotten half made tea. She sighed and Vanished it with a flick of her wand. Tea wasn't a good enough remedy right now. She poured two generous glasses of Firewhisky instead and joined her daughter at the window. Vivian accepted her glass with a sad smile.

"You've always been such a determined young lady, I have no doubt that you will find a way to help fix this." Cynthia said comfortingly.

"Thanks Mum. But I think I should take one step at a time. I think I ought to pay a visit to Severus Snape."

***

Severus, Remus, James, Sirius and Molly and Arthur Weasley were huddled in the cosy living room of the Burrow. Everyone was talking in hushed tones. Lily's funeral had been earlier that day and a somewhat somnolent feeling was palpable in the room. Harry was upstairs playing with the Weasley children and other members of the Order of the Phoenix had been coming and going offering their condolences and support to Severus. The finality of Lily's passing had hit him but he felt slightly better after the funeral. He could not stop thinking about Harry's dream. Or was it a dream? Harry steadfastly believed that the angels had let his Mummy come down and talk to him for a little while and there was no reason as to why Severus would want to dismiss that belief. In fact, he supported it and felt stronger knowing that Lily really was watching over himself and Harry. Nevertheless, he doubted the feeling of Lily's loss would ever leave him.

"She was knitting that jumper for Harry wasn't she?" Molly asked. Severus nodding, his fist inexplicably clenching at the mention of the unfinished jumper. It remained in the box under his bed and definitely was not coming out any time soon. "Perhaps I can finish it off? I know how eager Harry was to wear it." Molly offered. It had been her who had taught Lily how to knit in the first place.

"No Molly, you don't need to burden yourself with it." Severus said shortly.

"Oh it's no trouble..." Molly trailed off at the touch of Arthur's hand on her arm. There was a pained expression on Severus' face and it was clear that he didn't want to talk about the jumper.

The room became silent. All eyes fell upon Severus and Arthur, wanting to provide a distraction, poured out some Firewhisky for everyone. "For Lily." He said strongly and raised his glass. The others copied him, murmuring Lily's name and then falling into silence once more. After downing his glass, Severus broke the silence. "Thank you all so much," he addressed everyone in the living room. "I could never repay the kindness you have shown Harry and I during this trying time and I just want you all to know how grateful I am."

"Well what else are we here for mate?" James asked. "We'd be pretty shit friends if we didn't help you out with all this." James' exclamation garnered a few chuckles. Even Severus couldn't hold back a small smile. "Thank you all the same. But I really think I should take Harry home now, he's had a tiring day and I bet one hundred galleons he won't sleep well tonight." It was left unsaid that Severus was referring to himself too. With understanding nods from everyone, Severus went to fetch Harry and Molly accompanied them to the front door. "Please don't hesitate if you need anything dear."

"Thank you Molly, you've been of such great help." A moment of mutual understanding passed through them. After all, it wasn't too long ago that Molly lost her brothers, Gideon and Fabian. Molly unexpectedly pulled Severus into a motherly hug and whispered, "Everything will be alright." Severus suddenly felt his eyes watering and struggled to hold back tears. He smiled gratefully at her and Apparated back home with Harry.

***

Vivian had been standing outside Snape's house for a while and after deciding no one was home, she turned on her heel ready to head home. Abruptly, the crack of Apparition broke the still night air and Severus Snape and his son appeared in front of her. Severus looked somewhat startled but regained composure almost immediately. "Were you looking for me?" The young woman who had come calling looked mildly familiar to Severus. She had short brown hair styled in something of a pixie cut and Severus recalled there being a girl with hair always in that style in Slytherin while he was at school. "Am I right in saying that your name is Vivian Ashbury?"

Harry looked at the newcomer with interest. He didn't recognise her. How did Daddy know her name?

"Yes, that is correct. I was a year above you and Lily at Hogwarts. I'm sorry for your loss, I read about it in the Prophet."

"Thank you, but may I ask why you've come?" Severus was interested to know why Ashbury had come calling. As he remembered, she generally liked to keep to herself.

"Well I know it's late, but would you mind if I came inside?"

"Not at all." Severus strode to the door and unlocked it with Harry trailing behind him, still looking at Ashbury.

Vivian noticed the little boy staring and smiled at him. "Hello. What's your name?

"Harry." He giggled and ran into the house. Shaking her head good-naturedly, she followed him into the house.  

Severus led his guest to the kitchen. He was still avoiding the living room at all costs. "Harry, you can go upstairs and play for a while before bed." Severus would attend to Harry's bedtime routine after he had talked to Ashbury. Anyway, he thought is son would revel in the extra playtime.

"Yes Daddy!" Harry scrambled up the stairs, leaving the two adults sitting somewhat awkwardly in the kitchen.

"Would you like anything to drink Miss Asbury?" Severus offered politely, not quite knowing what to say.

"Um water will be fine thank you and you can call me Vivian." She replied with the same unsureness. Vivian supposed she should get on with it. She rather thought she had unnerved Snape by her sudden appearance. After all, they barely knew each other.

"I know this is all quite sudden so I'll be quick. My brother also passed away recently, of the same unknown causes as your wife. After reading the article in the Prophet I was so angry and had to do something about all this. I knew Lily a little at Hogwarts and she was a lovely girl and hers and my brother Robert's passing has spurred me to help in any way I can. Your name was mentioned in the article and as I knew you briefly, I decided to contact you."

Severus listened with interest. He remembered reading about Robert Ashbury's death in the paper but hadn't put much thought into it. If only he had paid more attention he might have recognised the symptoms Lily showed shortly before her passing.

"I am terribly sorry to hear that Vivian. It seems that this disease is relentless. The Head Healer at St Mungo's has kept in touch with me and is quite eager to put a stop to this. His name is Rowan Moore, I can give you his details if you like?"

"Thanks, that'd be lovely." Vivian took a sip of water before saying, "I was sort of hoping we could join forces as such with this matter. I don't want anyone else to die from this disease."

Severus nodded his agreement. "I believe if we work together with Healer Moore we will be able to do something fruitful."

The pair talked for a little longer before Vivian took her leave. Severus was left slightly bemused as to how well things had progressed. Before meeting Vivian, he had felt as if though this bloody disease was too big to conquer. Healer Moore had said himself that his team of Healers had no idea as to what they were up against. But Vivian had given him the smallest bit of hope. Severus decided he would begin brewing tomorrow to see if it was possible to come up with anything. Vivian worked at the Ministry and was planning on setting up a campaign. Rowan promised that he would do all he could to find a cure. And most importantly, Severus had wonderful friends who would go to the end of the Earth and back to help him. He was not alone. Perhaps there was strength in numbers.

"We will find a cure Lily my love." Severus whispered to the empty room. He ascending the stairs, intending to get Harry ready for bed. However, a worrying thought crossed his mind that Vivian and himself had somehow forgotten to consider. Where the hell were they going to get the money for all this?  

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed that! Sorry there wasn't much Severus/Harry interaction but I felt I had to get the story moving a bit more and establish Vivian's character a little.

Hopefully I'll be able to update more often from now on. I have changed my original ideas for this and I don't plan on abandoning my little story :)