Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Harry sat at the head of a rather large table in the staff room, waiting for the rest of his Professors to arrive. Dumbledore had spoken to him briefly ten minutes before about the Professors setting guidelines for Harry now that he would be staying at the castle on a permanent basis, as well as discussing the situation. Harry felt like this was just going to be a huge yelling fest, but didn't argue. He hoped to get some answers from this meeting, namely how he was the father of a child when he knows he is a virgin.

Snape sat at his right, and Dumbledore sat at the opposite end of the table, at the head as well. He was shuffling through a stack of papers, probably having to do with the situation. Why the bloody hell was he mentally naming this the situation?

Professors McGonagall and Sprout entered the room at the same time, taking their seats quietly while also holding a small stack of papers. Now that he thought about it, Snape had a small stack of papers in front of him as well. Somehow, Harry didn't think he'd like what was on those papers much.

Madame Pomfrey appeared in a huff from the fireplace in the corner of the room, glaring at Harry. She kept her eyes narrowed as she took her seat, not breaking eye contact with the teenager. It wasn't long before Flitwick, Hagrid, Sinistra, and Trelawney made their way into the room, all holding stacks of paper. What was on those papers?

Albus cleared his throat, calling the meeting to order. "We are here to discuss, with Mr. Potter, a rather unfortunate situation, which all of you have been informed about. Madame Pomfrey, if you would like to begin?"

Poppy cleared her throat, picking up the top paper from her stack and passing it around to all of the teachers. "This is a copy of the examination Ginevra Weasley underwent three days ago. She was complaining of stomach pains when her mother brought her into me, nausea being very prevalent," here she pointed to the center of the page, and Harry followed along with her, afraid to read further.

"You will then see that I, as protocol states, took a sample of blood to test for infections. The standard spell was cast upon the sample, and while she was iron deficient, her hormone levels were much higher than previous tests." She pointed lower then, at a scan of some sort. It was very black, and looked like it was a picture of something "I then performed a scan of her stomach and appendix, finding it strange that her lower midsection was slightly swollen. Upon further scanning, a fetus was discovered."

Merlin, that picture was the baby. The tiny white dot must be it. Holy hell...

"When informed, Miss Weasley began crying and confessed that her and Mr. Potter had had intercourse. She apparently had not known the proper spells, and had expected Mr. Potter to. Her mother was shocked, but remained calm. She then took Miss Weasley to St. Mungo's where more detailed pictures were taken of the baby, and a timeframe maintained. Blood tests were also analyzed, samples of Mr. Potter's blood provided and had come back positive of paternal affiliation."

Harry felt light headed. How did a baby that wasn't his have his DNA?

"With the return of he-who-must-not-be-named, a magical signature test was also done in case some sort of blood ritual had taken place, or polyjuice at the time of intercourse. Everything is a match, conclusively stating that Mr. Potter is the father."

Harry's jaw dropped, just like that they had determined him to be a father. He rubbed a palm against his forehead and read through the paper once more, ignoring Pomfrey's telling off. By blood and magic, the child was his. How?

"I have never had sex, Madame Pomfrey," he outright stated, not caring if he was talking in front of every Professor. It couldn't be his!

"Could Harry's memory have been modified?" Dumbledore stated, knowing what was on Harry's mind. It would be on every father's mind that didn't recall the deed in which go their significant other pregnant.

Pomfrey narrowed her eyes, glaring at Harry. "Miss Weasley's memory has already been collected and analyzed by Mind Healers at St. Mungo's. There was no modification on her brain, however you have obviously not been checked, Potter."

"Then what the hell are you waiting for? Check my mind, have Snape perform legilimency, it isn't mine and this will prove it!" Snape looked down the table at Dumbledore who inclined his head, and then turned back to Harry with his wand out. Harry gulped.

"If you don't fight the intrusion, it won't hurt as badly. Legilimens!" Images flashed before his eyes- Dudley that morning, helping the injured child, sitting in his room earlier...

The images kept flashing, slowly progressing back to the time of the baby's conception. Suddenly the memories stopped, and Harry felt Snape literally in his mind. It was almost like when Voldemort invaded, but not as threatening. He felt Snape sifting through his thoughts, pushing some out of the way and analyzing others. Harry squeezed his eyes shut as a headache bloomed in the back of his eyes, it hurt so bad.

Suddenly all movement stopped and he felt Snape prodding at something in his mind. Harry gasped as pain flashed through his body, as if his nerve endings were on fire! Harry felt himself bite his lip and lean forward over the table, groaning. He felt a hand on his forehead, but couldn't move. Snape was still in his mind, it was the only thought he could maintain for more than three seconds.

Harry felt the pain once again, a rolling wave of nausea now hitting him. What was happening?

All at once, the pain ceased to exist and he was able to look around the room again. Snape was still seated next to him, now rubbing his temples. What had he found? And why had it hurt him so much? Dumbledore was standing next to him, running a hand through his beard and looking slightly confused.

A vial was slid in front of Harry, and he didn't question the contents before downing it, happy to find it was a pain reliever. He slumped into his chair, and tiredly looked towards his Potion's Professor.

The Professor collected himself and then looked at his colleagues. "There seems to be a memory around the time of the conception, however it is completely sealed, blocked. It's similar to a barrier, and attached to memories around it. Very complex mental magic, something only a master could do. I've never seen anything like it." He gazed at Harry with loathing, hey he didn't have anything to do with this!

"It felt like my body was on fire," Harry choked out, wincing as his voice broke. "My head hurt incredibly bad too, just behind my eyes." Dumbledore looked down at Harry with a scrutinizing gaze. "We will have to research this further. In the meantime, seeing as you are the father, Harry, whether you like it or not, we need to discuss what will happen from here."

Harry sighed and nodded, rubbing his forehead again. The pain relieving potion only went so far, this pain was in his very bones. He didn't even care at the moment that he was assenting to being a father to this child, he just wanted to sleep.

"You have been given a set of rooms on the first floor; one for yourself, one for Miss Weasley, and another for the baby. Both of the rooms have strict wards barring the others presence for longer than one minute, unless the baby is in the vicinity." He gave an outline of the rooms to Harry, surprising the teenager that it was like a muggle flat.

"All teachers will be allowed to enter the rooms at any time, a special entrance being added to each of their quarters in case of emergency. You need only speak to the portrait guarding this door with the Professor you would like to visit and reason of visit, and he will fetch the Professor in question if need be." Harry nodded slowly, looking at all of his Professors. The male Professors seemed pitying, while the females looked rabid, all holding some form of anger however at the situation. Snape just looked plain angry and annoyed.

"A small kitchenette with the basic necessities has been provided, and a living room with two study areas has been set up as well. You will find all of your books for next year on your specific desk, Miss Weasley will have hers as well.

"Now to more pressing matters. In eight months time, Hogwarts will be welcoming its youngest student in two hundred years. The prospective due date is March 20th if I am correct?" Madame Pomfrey nodded, glancing down at her stack of papers. "With a baby comes many expenses. Food, clothing, and day care being the bare minimum. We have eight months to prepare both Miss Weasley and yourself for the real world, as it is so put."

He produced now another parchment, handing it only to Harry this time. "This is a list of shops in Hogsmeade looking for help in the next few months. Some are willing to take applications from Hogwarts students in need of extra money, for affairs such as these. Some are odd jobs, but it is money that you need in order to support your child and Miss Weasley."

Harry nodded, sighing and reading down the list. They didn't sound like such bad jobs, actually. It was more of a time issue. How was he supposed to get through his classes and work?

"What about my classes, sir?"

"Another good point. All of your Professor's have come today with a list of every lesson plan for this coming year. We believe you should use this next month to get ahead of your classes while working part-time. You will be expected to complete the homework and do the tests in order. If done to satisfaction, you may be able to skip some classes during the school year." Harry nodded again, feeling too tired to argue that he couldn't be the father any longer. He wanted to know what was behind that barricade, what was being hidden from even himself?

"Professor Sinistra and Professor Snape are willing to allow you to work on your practical assignments throughout the week. All other teachers are willing to tutor you if you would like in the book work in the afternoons." Harry nodded again, collecting a copy from every teacher of their lesson plans. He had quite a stack of parchment piling in front of him, and he cringed thinking about having to read it all.

Dumbledore glanced at a clock in the corner of the room and deemed it time for dinner. He ushered his staff and Harry out of the staff room and into the Great Hall. All were quiet on the walk down, and Harry was mentally and physically exhausted. His entire world had shifted today. He wasn't just Harry anymore. He had people relying on him, people that needed him to survive. He was going to be a father.

Harry collapsed into one of the chairs around a large oak table set up during the holidays for those left at the castle. He picked at his food- roasted chicken with broccoli and mashed potatoes. He wasn't particularly hungry, especially as his body wasn't accustomed to heavy meals just yet.

The atmosphere of the room was awkward as ever, the teachers not willing to talk in front of a student. Glances were thrown, however, and Harry couldn't miss the angry glances between Professor Sprout and Madame Pomfrey. Setting down his fork, Harry sat back in his chair and waited for someone to finish so that they could show him his rooms.

Snape finished first, and stood without a word to the rest of the table. He grabbed Harry's collar and pushed him in front of him and out of the Hall once more.

"You will be on a tight leash, Potter. There will be no more mischief, pranks, or adventures from this day forward. You will work, study, sleep, and eat. There will be no Hogsmeade weekends, lounging about, it will be hard work. You put yourself into this situation, so there will be no excuses for slacking your responsibilities." Harry gaped at the speech, not believing what he was hearing.

"Professor, I don't even remember being with Ginny. This is a bit harder to accept. I would have used a spell or a condom at least, even if I was thinking of being with Ginny. And I wouldn't have done it at school, I don't know how I could have done it." Snape rolled his eyes and lead him further down the first floor, turning left twice and right once before stopping in front of a dark wooded door.

"These are your chambers. They will be expected to be kept clean, and your friends may only enter with the permission of a teacher. Rest assured, we will know if you attempt to go around us." Harry gulped, nodding vigorously. He doubted Ron and Hermione would even want to be his friends anymore. He had knocked up Ron's little sister, not that he could remember it at all. And they probably wouldn't even believe him if he said he didn't remember. Damn.

Snape put his hand onto the doorknob, and turned the handle. The living room area was small, holding a couch, two desks placed on opposite sides of the room, and a bookshelf next to each. A fire with a mesh covering was in front of the couch, with a small oak table in front of it. It was the bare minimum for a room to have, but Harry liked it.

"Your room is on the left, the baby's in the middle, and Miss Weasley's on the right. You will be expected to decorate the rooms yourself. At the moment they hold the standard items every dorm holds. The child's room is not furnished at all."

Harry's room held a generic four poster pushed up against a wall with his trunk at the end of his bed. A chest of drawers was opposite the bed, with his firebolt leaning against it. It was small, but Harry didn't need much room.

The baby's room was completely barren. The stone flooring had been transfigured to be carpet, but the walls were still harsh grey stone, with a medium sized window facing out onto the Hogwarts grounds.

Ginny's was an exact replica of his except none of her personal items had been added yet. He expected that she would be arriving when school started, and not a day sooner.

Walking back into the living area, Harry was surprised to see Snape conversing with a life sized portrait just to the left of the door. The man was older, perhaps fifty years old with lightened black hair and an emerald green feathered hat perched atop his head. He was wearing matching emerald green robes with a white ruffled shirt visible at the top, just under his chin. The man looked oddly familiar, and Harry knew that he should know who he is.

"Potter, this is Headmaster Salazar Slytherin, he will be watching over these rooms at all times and in constant communication with your Professors." Harry gaped once again, which he seemed to be doing a lot lately. This was one of the founders of Hogwarts, Merlin! They were keeping security very tight in these rooms, it seemed, which he really didn't blame them.

"It is nice to meet you, Headmaster." He bowed his head slightly, standing stiffly in front of the portrait a second later.

Snape quirked an eyebrow at his student, not understanding what sort of game he was playing. He had made sure to inform Salazar all about the child, making sure to not leave one detail of his recklessness over the years out.

"If only under better circumstances, Mr. Potter," Salazar drawled out his answer, seemingly glaring at the child in front of him. What a fool for impregnating his girlfriend at such a young age. While it was common practice in his times, it was very frowned upon these days.

"Yes, sir," Harry whispered, not meeting the portrait's eyes. He felt as though he was being chastised, once again, for something he couldn't recall doing.

"Professor, about my memory. Is there anything we can do?"

Snape looked thoughtful, tapping his fingers gently on his arms. "I can look into an appointment with a Mind Healer at St. Mungos. It will more than likely be highly unpleasant, however. The pain you experienced today will be at a much higher degree. Healers are trained to not stop until the issue is corrected, and it will be a very...detailed examination." Harry hesitantly nodded, thinking back to the unimaginable pain a little over an hour ago. He didn't think he could handle much more without passing out.

"And if I am the baby's father-" "You are the baby's father, Potter. All tests were conclusive, and even more were performed than what was discussed in the meeting. All were documented for your perusal at a later date." Snape interrupted, perching on the edge of the couch.

"Okay, then as the baby's father, don't you think I should be able to talk to Ginny about this? It's completely unfair for her to have total recollection of the events, while I am completely left in the dark. Once again, Dumbledore is going around me in hopes of protecting me. Obviously he isn't doing a good job," Harry snarled, pacing in front of the fire.

"It should be expected that you would not be compliant, however you must take responsibility for your actions. Even actions that are, for the moment, hidden from even you."

"You all can't just expect me to accept this child! I may be the bloody boy-who-lived, but I had plans, a future. And a child was not part of that future for a very long while!" Livid didn't even describe his feelings, he was tired of just letting the Headmaster and Professors talk, it was his turn, his time to defend himself.

""It seems Mr. Potter, that you believe that one can just wave their wand and everything will be fixed. That is not how the world works. All actions have consequences. Now you, for once, will have to feel the full extent of those consequences."

"If you don't even know if you committed those actions, how can the blame be put on you? The consequences shouldn't even be mine to face! Dammit I know the contraception spells! Even if I had had sex with Ginny, I would have used them. This entire situation doesn't make any sense at all! But when does anything in my life make sense." Harry collapsed next to the fire, leaning against the heated stone wall. This was a mess, a complete and utter mess.

"Even so, this is not a time to drown in self pity, Potter. People are now relying on you for their further survival, and any true Gryffindor would brave their way through these struggles and take responsibility."

"Yes, well, I should have let the hat put me in Slytherin then," Harry groused, closing his eyes and leaning back against the stone more fully. He just wanted to sleep, and escape this nightmare. He felt as though he hadn't properly rested in weeks.

He heard Snape stand and walk towards the door, and then pause. "You will be collected at ten tomorrow morning for interviews down in Hogsmeade. I would suggest you look over the lesson plans as well and complete a schedule. It is the only way work will be accomplished." Harry slightly nodded, but ignored the man as he exited the room.

He didn't know what to think right now. The child was his, he had come to somewhat accept that. He didn't know how or why it was his, and it didn't sound like they were going to let him talk to Ginny in the near future, which might be for the better as he had no kind words to tell her at the moment.

Anger was the most common emotion in his arsenal, and he would sure as hell be using it for the time being. His entire future was changing because of this mistake; not just his but Ginny's as well. Like Snape had said earlier, it does take two to have sex. Ginny shouldn't have assumed anything, he didn't expect to baby her throughout their relationship. And now look where that landed them both, uncertain futures and all.

He didn't even remember the event itself and he still blamed Ginny. At last thought, and at the end of the school year at that, sex had been the furthest thing from his mind. His godfather had died, right in front of him. He was killed by his own psychotic cousin at that. Harry didn't even know how they had even gotten together, why, what was the motive?

Sighing, Harry picked himself up off of the floor and went into his room to prepare for bed. These rooms were cold and lifeless, and he couldn't help but compare them to his cupboard back at the Dursleys. He had been so lonely back then, and he felt so alone now. He could tell that most of the people he had come to love in the wizarding world hated him, hell even Snape seemed to hate him just a bit more for this 'transgression'.

His Professors had definitely taken Ginny's side in this entire affair, which Harry really couldn't understand. So what if she was pregnant, yes she was going to have a child, but so was he. He didn't have his memory yet everyone seemed to blame the entire incident on him and him alone. Nothing was being placed on her, at all.

Slipping on an overlarge night shirt and flannel pants, Harry scrubbed his face with harsh, stinging soap before gazing at himself in the mirror. The person before him, a teenager, a scruffy boy that was meant to save the fucking world, was going to be a father. To a child. At sixteen years old. Holy shit.

He threw the handle towel he was drying himself with into a basket in front of the toilet, and shuffled back into his room. Falling onto the bed, he stared at the ceiling. This ceiling wasn't water damaged, however. It was cold, hard stone. And he couldn't help but compare it to his life. At the Dursleys he had been a dirty freak, damaged, like the ceiling. And here, he was alone and solitary, like a stone.

Groaning and covering his eyes with a pillow, he welcomed the blissful darkness it created. Dear Merlin, what had he gotten himself into?